BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Window trim removal

05-05-2020, 09:06 PM   #1
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Window trim removal

Does anyone know how to remove the window trim? I looked up the closest video i could find and the person said i should just be able to pull it off. Well i tried that and ended up bending the part closest to the rear.

Does anyone know how to remove the part without bending it or breaking? I'm in the process of wrapping my car and it will make wrapping the door much easier.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 02:41 PM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Given the expense of wrapping a car, maybe if you buy the part from BMW you'll be able to see how it attaches and hence reduce the risk of damage? Plus, if you still damage it, you have a replacement ready to fit...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 04:45 PM   #3
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Given the expense of wrapping a car, maybe if you buy the part from BMW you'll be able to see how it attaches and hence reduce the risk of damage? Plus, if you still damage it, you have a replacement ready to fit...
well its not too expensive as i'm doing it myself. And i have already bought a replacement part. However i'm curious if anyone knows off hand so i can avoid having to spend more money.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 07:43 PM   #4
chip_dip19
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

This is the only thing i can find

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ion/1VnXh3d7YO
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 12:06 PM   #5
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip_dip19 View Post
Thanks, too bad its not the one right below the window on the door. Thats the main one i'm looking for. This trim luckily has a deep enough recess that i can just tuck the vinyl into it
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 12:31 PM   #6
chip_dip19
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
Thanks, too bad its not the one right below the window on the door. Thats the main one i'm looking for. This trim luckily has a deep enough recess that i can just tuck the vinyl into it
If you have the replacement part number, you can search it on that site.

EDIT: I actually found it. It seems there's a screw under the weatherstripping where it bent for you.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...strip/KVVvVhdd
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #7
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip_dip19 View Post
If you have the replacement part number, you can search it on that site.

EDIT: I actually found it. It seems there's a screw under the weatherstripping where it bent for you.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...strip/KVVvVhdd
I'm actually looking for the trim on the door itself. Not on the roof.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 10:25 PM   #8
Maks///M2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

So the trim on the door below the window is called a "belt" moulding. This is very easy to remove. Just roll the window down and pull on it.

Keep in mind.... on bmw the black (chrome for not sport package) is separate from the rubber. Will pull out separate. If this happens. Don't worry. Just slide it back in.

Now the trim on the roof rail to where your door closes to...
pull the body side weather strip off. There willl be bolts in there. Take those bolts out. And it comes right out.

The trim around the qtr panel window. That's all part of the window. So to remove that. Have the window pulled out. You can not remove the trim without removing the qtr glass. It's one piece.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 10:19 PM   #9
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks///M2 View Post
So the trim on the door below the window is called a "belt" moulding. This is very easy to remove. Just roll the window down and pull on it.

Keep in mind.... on bmw the black (chrome for not sport package) is separate from the rubber. Will pull out separate. If this happens. Don't worry. Just slide it back in.

pull the body side weather strip off. There willl be bolts in there. Take those bolts out. And it comes right out.

The trim around the qtr panel window. That's all part of the window. So to remove that. Have the window pulled out. You can not remove the trim without removing the qtr glass. It's one piece.
For the belt moulding. WHich direction should i pull? The issue is i tried to pull up starting from one end and i ended up bending the moulding itself. To the point where its visibly noticeable that its not lined up properly. Since you said th rubber might come out, should i be pulling as if i'm sliding the moulding out? Or am i trying to pop it out upwards?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 11:13 PM   #10
Maks///M2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks///M2 View Post

For the belt moulding. WHich direction should i pull? The issue is i tried to pull up starting from one end and i ended up bending the moulding itself. To the point where its visibly noticeable that its not lined up properly. Since you said th rubber might come out, should i be pulling as if i'm sliding the moulding out? Or am i trying to pop it out upwards?
Your pulling the rubber with the mldg. Roll the window all the way start from the outside of the door. Where the handle is. Because it barley goes in under the mirror. You might have to remove the door seal. Which you would just pull it out. Rubber sleeves that basically slide into holes on the door. For the first portion of the top of the weatherstrip (the door seal)
When you stick your finders between the glass and the belt mldg rubber. Fish for a lip with your finger tips and pull up.
Appreciate 0