BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Aliexpress, M2 aluminum GTS Hood?

05-04-2020, 03:23 PM   #23
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutankhamon View Post
Am I correct in assuming (fitment arguments aside) that there is a bit of weight savings to be had by going with one of these aluminum hoods? I take it our stock hoods are not aluminum? Reason I ask is I know e46 M's came with aluminum hoods stock.
possible weight savings. Stock 2 series hood is stamped steel
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #24
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Think there's any marginal cooling benefits from the cutout? I doubt it but anyone think otherwise?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #25
maddoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36-E82-F87-7P

Quote:
Am I correct in assuming (fitment arguments aside) that there is a bit of weight savings to be had by going with one of these aluminum hoods? I take it our stock hoods are not aluminum? Reason I ask is I know e46 M's came with aluminum hoods stock.
I assumed our hood is aluminum based on the weight. It does not fee like stamped steel. I could be wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thic_F30 View Post
They are all coming from the same place, and I'm willing to bet the exact same mold. I've seen oem hoods that fit worse.

Your problem area will be front right (looking at the car) you'll want to shim the far right bolt on the bumper with a couple of washers. But hey, you might get lucky and it may fit better for you.

Either way, it's not hard to make it fit well. Basic mechanical knowledge and bit of ingenuity..you'll be fine.
I watched your most recent video and tried to pick up on hood lines that were off and honestly I couldn't see anything. I wish I was closer to you I'd definitely want to see it in person.

I may just bite the bullet.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #26
Thicwhips
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 / E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
Quote:
I assumed our hood is aluminum based on the weight. It does not fee like stamped steel. I could be wrong though.

Quote:
They are all coming from the same place, and I'm willing to bet the exact same mold. I've seen oem hoods that fit worse.

Your problem area will be front right (looking at the car) you'll want to shim the far right bolt on the bumper with a couple of washers. But hey, you might get lucky and it may fit better for you.

Either way, it's not hard to make it fit well. Basic mechanical knowledge and bit of ingenuity..you'll be fine.
I watched your most recent video and tried to pick up on hood lines that were off and honestly I couldn't see anything. I wish I was closer to you I'd definitely want to see it in person.

You won't find any hood lines that are off, because there aren't.

The gts hood is noticeably lighter..by how much? I don't know..a few pounds or so.

The vent is insane with an intake, everything is amplified. It sounds incredible.

Also worth noting: the vent will allow water into the engine bay. Will it damage anything? No..just as long as you're not letting the car sit in a downpour for hours. My car is garaged so it's a non-issue.

I am having a vent with a block off plate 3D printed.

In the meantime, I am using gorilla tape on the underside and adhesive foam around the circumference of the vent, it's blocked out all water for a couple of months now without issue. Prob not a perm solution, but works well for right now.

Don't let anyone who is saying these are garbage discourage you, I've installed quite a few and they are absolutely worth the price.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 1
ebisu81078.00
      05-04-2020, 08:24 PM   #27
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
They look pretty good and it's nice to know your og hood is safely tucked away in your garage (or closet for you youngin apartment dwellers).
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 01:57 AM   #28
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
Quote:

Quote:

You won't find any hood lines that are off, because there aren't.

The gts hood is noticeably lighter..by how much? I don't know..a few pounds or so.

The vent is insane with an intake, everything is amplified. It sounds incredible.

Also worth noting: the vent will allow water into the engine bay. Will it damage anything? No..just as long as you're not letting the car sit in a downpour for hours. My car is garaged so it's a non-issue.

I am having a vent with a block off plate 3D printed.

In the meantime, I am using gorilla tape on the underside and adhesive foam around the circumference of the vent, it's blocked out all water for a couple of months now without issue. Prob not a perm solution, but works well for right now.

Don't let anyone who is saying these are garbage discourage you, I've installed quite a few and they are absolutely worth the price.

Hope this helps

Very encouraging.

Your car really turned out great.

I appreciate your video covering all the details.
      05-05-2020, 08:58 AM   #29
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
I'm pretty sure the suvneer one is the same as aliexpress cuz m2_ghost has tagged suvneer in posts before and we have confirmation in this thread that m2_ghost is running an aliexpress one lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 12:46 PM   #30
Thicwhips
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0butt View Post
I'm pretty sure the suvneer one is the same as aliexpress cuz m2_ghost has tagged suvneer in posts before and we have confirmation in this thread that m2_ghost is running an aliexpress one lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0butt View Post
I ordered Matt's hood for him (m2ghost)

We work directly with Suvneer.

They are all made in the same place, nobody is trying to hide that. You'd be surprised how many products come from the exact same factory and use the exact same molds as those on AliExpress.

There isn't anything wrong with AliExpress, I recently bought a diffuser from there and it worked out great.

The only reason people get scared of ordering on Ali is because you do not have someone stateside to return the product too if it doesn't fit or you do not like it. There's also that communication barrier.

I hope that clears things up.
Appreciate 1
wavyyyy1045.50
      05-05-2020, 12:52 PM   #31
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
The only reason people get scared of ordering on Ali is because you do not have someone stateside to return the product too if it doesn't fit or you do not like it. There's also that communication barrier.
I purchased some exhaust tips from Ali and was expressly lied to. I was able to sell the tips for only a $70 loss, but had it been something more expensive I would have been HOT...and would have no recourse.

No thanks. But I'm glad it worked out for you. As I said, you're a pretty trusting type, and know enough people to make something out of nothing if things don't go your way. Not everyone is like that, or in that situation.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #32
Thicwhips
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
I purchased some exhaust tips from Ali and was expressly lied to. I was able to sell the tips for only a $70 loss, but had it been something more expensive I would have been HOT...and would have no recourse.

No thanks. But I'm glad it worked out for you. As I said, you're a pretty trusting type, and know enough people to make something out of nothing if things don't go your way. Not everyone is like that, or in that situation.
Quote:
Quote:

Very true. I've heard many horror stories. But I've only ordered carbon products on AliExpress. Really nothing else, so my experience is rather limited there.

But..this is exactly why people order through companies that are stateside rather than Ali. So even though the hood may or may not be the same on Ali, you at least have someone that will actually give you your refund and has an actual reputation to protect here in the USA. I can't say the same for a seller in China on Ali.
Appreciate 2
SM2731.50
VisualEcho6633.50
      05-05-2020, 01:44 PM   #33
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Very true. I've heard many horror stories. But I've only ordered carbon products on AliExpress. Really nothing else, so my experience is rather limited there.

But..this is exactly why people order through companies that are stateside rather than Ali. So even though the hood may or may not be the same on Ali, you at least have someone that will actually give you your refund and has an actual reputation to protect here in the USA. I can't say the same for a seller in China on Ali.
How much to paint?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 02:09 PM   #34
Thicwhips
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

How much to paint?
I paid $400 to have my hood painted.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #35
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

How much to paint?
I paid $400 to have my hood painted.
That's not bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 12:21 PM   #36
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

Is the vent piece provided by Suvneer OEM (BMW) or otherwise custom to the hood? This questions is in the event anything happens to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 11:47 AM   #37
tutankhamon
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB BMW M2

Suvneer doesn't ship to Canada it seems
Anybody know of any options for us up north?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 12:52 PM   #38
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

And It appears they sell a replacement on their site (which is good). So it's probably safe to assume this is a one off which is fine. So, my next question is clearance for those of us with a carbon fiber strut/brace.

https://www.suvneer.com/collections/...33130241687596

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
Is the vent piece provided by Suvneer OEM (BMW) or otherwise custom to the hood? This questions is in the event anything happens to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #39
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
You can use a reshipper, or if you live close to the border get a PO box in the states.
      05-07-2020, 02:57 PM   #40
Q_Subsub
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
And It appears they sell a replacement on their site (which is good). So it's probably safe to assume this is a one off which is fine. So, my next question is clearance for those of us with a carbon fiber strut/brace.

https://www.suvneer.com/collections/...33130241687596
If I remember correctly, that M2 Ghost also had the CF brace, so I'm guessing it works.

This is probably the only aesthetic mod I want to do to my M2, but I'm struggling to figure out the logistic around having and storing an extra hood..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 09:52 PM   #41
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_Subsub View Post
If I remember correctly, that M2 Ghost also had the CF brace, so I'm guessing it works.

This is probably the only aesthetic mod I want to do to my M2, but I'm struggling to figure out the logistic around having and storing an extra hood..
I would hang mine on a wall in my apartment.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 10:26 PM   #42
Simon P.
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C, Bend tuned via Ecutek

Quote:
https://www.extremeparts.ca/
I got the same answer from Suvneer you got. Gary Lo from Suvneer pointed me in the direction of these guys, seems they are a reseller for them up here.
When I shot them an email they replied they had 10 on order for early June.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 11:27 PM   #43
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

Anyone know how the carbon version of these hoods fits? I think that's the way to fly because you don't need to worry about dings.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 10:59 AM   #44
chip_dip19
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon P. View Post
https://www.extremeparts.ca/
I got the same answer from Suvneer you got. Gary Lo from Suvneer pointed me in the direction of these guys, seems they are a reseller for them up here.
When I shot them an email they replied they had 10 on order for early June.
Do you know what they'll be selling them for?
Appreciate 0