BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Aliexpress, M2 aluminum GTS Hood?

04-28-2020, 09:44 AM   #1
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Hello,

Any one consider one of these hoods or end up giving one a try?

US $484.00 | F20 F22 F87 aluminum M2 GTS bonnet for F87 M2 hood scoop
https://a.aliexpress.com/_Bf7TGaOh
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 10:39 AM   #2
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

I'll buy Chinese mirror caps and and spoiler, but a hood? Not to sure I'd trust it.

The guy below bought same style hood (from another site for a bit more -- i'm sure it's all from the same Chinese factory). In the video he mentioned that they needed to move the fenders and bumper closer to have "OEM" fitment. I can't imagine the Aliexpress being any better in fitment (assuming it's from a different source)

Appreciate 3
SM2731.50
JustChris17483.00
      04-28-2020, 05:41 PM   #3
Thicwhips
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 / E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv View Post
I'll buy Chinese mirror caps and and spoiler, but a hood? Not to sure I'd trust it.

The guy below bought same style hood (from another site for a bit more -- i'm sure it's all from the same Chinese factory). In the video he mentioned that they needed to move the fenders and bumper closer to have "OEM" fitment. I can't imagine the Aliexpress being any better in fitment (assuming it's from a different source)

Quote:

Yup, you'll need to do some adjusting. (That's me in video) But it's quite simple. Micro adjustments here and there. It's also worth noting that mine had a few dings from shipment. Also easy fixes as we have a dent guy on site but that is very common with shipping these aluminum hoods. I had the same hood on my f30 and it also required some adjustments.

Rule of thumb: if it's not oem, you'll likely be doing a bit of work to make up for the cash you saved. If you're handy, it's worth it..if not, well..you get the point. 😉
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
Poochie9103.00
StarMan351.50
JustChris17483.00
VisualEcho6629.00
      04-28-2020, 06:05 PM   #4
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thic_F30 View Post
Quote:
l

(That's me in video)
Oh shoot,

Just today, I was just watching your video on installing the LCI taillights.

BTW, I was screaming at the TV, when you thought that the pre-LCI reverse light bulb was the same as the LCI, which I assume you know by now, it's not.

Good stuff
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 02:54 PM   #5
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Yup, you'll need to do some adjusting. (That's me in video) But it's quite simple. Micro adjustments here and there. It's also worth noting that mine had a few dings from shipment. Also easy fixes as we have a dent guy on site but that is very common with shipping these aluminum hoods. I had the same hood on my f30 and it also required some adjustments.

Rule of thumb: if it's not oem, you'll likely be doing a bit of work to make up for the cash you saved. If you're handy, it's worth it..if not, well..you get the point. 😉
That actually looks really good painted - a lot of the stock photos (CF or not) don't do the hoods justice.

Now I want one
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 09:23 PM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

You'll probably get alot of panel gaps, and the latches might be weak so you risk having the hood pop up while driving.

If you are ok with the potential of panel gaps, make sure you get hood pins to ensure you don't get blinding by a hood popping up while driving.
      04-30-2020, 09:25 PM   #7
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
l

(That's me in video)
Oh shoot,

Just today, I was just watching your video on installing the LCI taillights.

BTW, I was screaming at the TV, when you thought that the pre-LCI reverse light bulb was the same as the LCI, which I assume you know by now, it's not.

Good stuff
Ha, I wondering if he found our extensive forum. We went back and forth quite a bit on the LCI tail lights.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      05-01-2020, 03:46 PM   #8
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
You'll probably get alot of panel gaps, and the latches might be weak so you risk having the hood pop up while driving.

If you are ok with the potential of panel gaps, make sure you get hood pins to ensure you don't get blinding by a hood popping up while driving.
Hood pins are a bit much.

Aluminum its stronger then you think.
      05-01-2020, 05:27 PM   #9
maddoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36-E82-F87-7P

Quote:

What kind of micro adjustments are we talking about?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 06:14 PM   #10
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post

I know aluminum is strong, my EVO X had an aluminium hood. But Chinese made aluminium hoods with no quality control is where where the issue lies. What if the mounting points for the hood latches are crap, and then you start driving 100 mph+ with air pressure building up in the engine bay - you get the picture.

Also shipping on aliexpress can be killer at times.
///M TOWN16075.50
      05-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #11
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:

I know aluminum is strong, my EVO X had an aluminium hood. But Chinese made aluminium hoods with no quality control is where where the issue lies. What if the mounting points for the hood latches are crap, and then you start driving 100 mph+ with air pressure building up in the engine bay - you get the picture.

Also shipping on aliexpress can be killer at times.
I absolutely get your point, and it's totally valid.

I don't seriously want anything Chinese IF I can avoid it.

iND said they were working on an option at a reasonable price.

I'm getting antsy at this point, but I'm still hopeful they won't disappoint.
      05-01-2020, 07:09 PM   #12
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I absolutely get your point, and it's totally valid.

I don't seriously want anything Chinese IF I can avoid it.

iND said they were working on an option at a reasonable price.

I'm getting antsy at this point, but I'm still hopeful they won't disappoint.
I don't hate on Chinese products, just the knock off products and the stuff with no QC. Otherwise with QC their products are amazing.

Agency power used to have nice carbon hoods and trunks, but then they priced themselves out of existence.

I probably will get a seibon hood.
      05-01-2020, 07:44 PM   #13
Thicwhips
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I made a video on the entire install:

If you still have questions lmk.

Everyone saying it will fall apart or fly off at 100mph. We have two m2s in Charlotte running these hoods. Both spend a lot of time driving 100+ mph. One is fully built (look up m2ghost) second is mine. People are always skeptical about these things, which is fine..your opinion is your opinion. But I can for a fact say I have experience after running two of these hoods on two different cars and they are absolutely fine. Zero issues, if you have basic mechanical knowledge you'll be fine. If you are expecting perfection it's not for you.

For the price, it's an easy decision.
Ind will absolutely charge a ton more. A badge alone costs 115. You can just imagine what a hood will cost. I'm not saying they aren't worth it ( I bought two lol) but you will absolutely pay more.

Like I said before, if you want a cost affective aluminum hood these are great. If you're an oem freak, buy the real thing. That simple.
Appreciate 5
///M TOWN16075.50
grl.racr382.50
dtmurf480.00
Maks///M2271.00
      05-01-2020, 07:48 PM   #14
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
People are always skeptical about these things, which is fine..your opinion is your opinion.
And you are a very open-minded person, so you tend to make light judgments where others would not.

I subscribed to your channel a few days ago just on the strength of one video, as you were very open-minded about all of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 01:12 PM   #15
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
I like the price point for sure.

The fit however is definitely a bit sketch.
      05-02-2020, 03:02 PM   #16
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Honestly the fit looks great in the video.
Do we know where they're sourced?
      05-02-2020, 03:18 PM   #17
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Honestly the fit looks great in the video.
Do we know where they're sourced?
https://www.suvneer.com/collections/...22-f87-edition

Looks like a Shopify store. Probably just sourced from aliexpress or aliababa.
Appreciate 1
JTO245271.50
      05-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #18
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM2 View Post
https://www.suvneer.com/collections/...22-f87-edition

Looks like a Shopify store. Probably just sourced from aliexpress or aliababa.
Says it weighs 20 lbs. Wonder what the stock hood weighs.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 10:39 PM   #19
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Everyone saying it will fall apart or fly off at 100mph. We have two m2s in Charlotte running these hoods. Both spend a lot of time driving 100+ mph. One is fully built (look up m2ghost) second is mine. People are always skeptical about these things, which is fine..your opinion is your opinion. But I can for a fact say I have experience after running two of these hoods on two different cars and they are absolutely fine. Zero issues, if you have basic mechanical knowledge you'll be fine. If you are expecting perfection it's not for you.

For the price, it's an easy decision.
Ind will absolutely charge a ton more. A badge alone costs 115. You can just imagine what a hood will cost. I'm not saying they aren't worth it ( I bought two lol) but you will absolutely pay more.

Like I said before, if you want a cost affective aluminum hood these are great. If you're an oem freak, buy the real thing. That simple.

It turned out quite nice.

You did a great job with your video.

I'm unsure I could deal with tweaking the fenders.
      05-03-2020, 02:39 PM   #20
maddoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36-E82-F87-7P

Quote:

If you are expecting perfection it's not for you.
By perfection, do you mean not having to adjust fenders, etc? I feel like even with a new OEM hood you'd have to be adjusting body panels. I don't think any two pieces of metal are stamped exactly alike. I'd love to see what areas on the hood or the line up you consider "not perfect"

What I'm ideally looking for is the best manufacturer of the hood (and maybe it's all the same manufacturer). I've seen a couple vendors, and none of them well known to me, selling this exact hood style (Aluminum) anywhere from $700-$1200.

Examples:
https://www.aeroluxeautoboutique.com...minum-gts-hood

https://www.suvneer.com/products/gts...32611832397868 (the guys you bought from)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GTS-STYLE-A...53.m1438.l2649 (using your pics by the way)

GTS STYLE ALUMINUM ENGINE HOOD BONNET FOR 2014-2019 BMW F22 F23 2-SERIES
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #21
Thicwhips
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

If you are expecting perfection it's not for you.
By perfection, do you mean not having to adjust fenders, etc? I feel like even with a new OEM hood you'd have to be adjusting body panels. I don't think any two pieces of metal are stamped exactly alike. I'd love to see what areas on the hood or the line up you consider "not perfect"

What I'm ideally looking for is the best manufacturer of the hood (and maybe it's all the same manufacturer). I've seen a couple vendors, and none of them well known to me, selling this exact hood style (Aluminum) anywhere from $700-$1200.

Examples:
https://www.aeroluxeautoboutique.com...minum-gts-hood

https://www.suvneer.com/products/gts...32611832397868 (the guys you bought from)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GTS-STYLE-A...53.m1438.l2649 (using your pics by the way)

GTS STYLE ALUMINUM ENGINE HOOD BONNET FOR 2014-2019 BMW F22 F23 2-SERIES
They are all coming from the same place, and I'm willing to bet the exact same mold. I've seen oem hoods that fit worse.

Your problem area will be front right (looking at the car) you'll want to shim the far right bolt on the bumper with a couple of washers. But hey, you might get lucky and it may fit better for you.

Either way, it's not hard to make it fit well. Basic mechanical knowledge and bit of ingenuity..you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 02:51 PM   #22
tutankhamon
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB BMW M2

Am I correct in assuming (fitment arguments aside) that there is a bit of weight savings to be had by going with one of these aluminum hoods? I take it our stock hoods are not aluminum? Reason I ask is I know e46 M's came with aluminum hoods stock.
Appreciate 0