BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Carbahn vs. Dinan flash tunes? Pros/cons from one to the other?

05-12-2020, 02:35 PM   #45
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Well, well, well. Color me excited. My tune (carbahn) is being installed as I type. Thanks for the reviews everyone, it was incredibly helpful in selecting a tune.
Sweet

Please be sure to let us know what you think after the installation
Appreciate 1
pz6193275.50
      05-12-2020, 09:19 PM   #46
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020M2Competition View Post
Sweet

Well was only able to put on a few miles, but am loving it so far! Felt just like stock in terms of smoothness and the extra power was definitely noticeable. The only downside is I’m probably going to need to buy extra bulbs for that traction control light. Special thanks to All German Auto for the install and performing some other various housekeeping items on my car while it was there.

More to come once I put on a few more miles!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 09:30 PM   #47
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020M2Competition View Post
Sweet

Well was only able to put on a few miles, but am loving it so far! Felt just like stock in terms of smoothness and the extra power was definitely noticeable. The only downside is I'm probably going to need to buy extra bulbs for that traction control light. Special thanks to All German Auto for the install and performing some other various housekeeping items on my car while it was there.

More to come once I put on a few more miles!
Nice! Almost went to them but heard Autohaus Frankfurt in Murrieta was like ~$600 cheaper for the whole thing out the door and were highly recommended by Carbahn when I called them to inquire during my research. Though if your killing two birds with one stone for other install bits, it probably makes no difference. All German has a great rep too.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
pz6193275.50
      05-17-2020, 12:37 AM   #48
J P
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 19 HS m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldrops View Post
UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with the head representative regarding the Carbahn warranty(hate to say I forgot his name). He was helpful and knew exactly what I was looking for. Needless to say I'm extremely impressed.

EDIT: Furthering on the aftermarket intake inquiry, any aftermarket intake was fine, so long as it was safe from outside water.
Am I the only one who thinks covering a stage 2 car under "factory" warranty is a little too good to be true? I mean they are THAT confident in the S55 platform? Just seems like there are too many variables outside their control at that point to be offering a genuine factory warranty.

I'm pretty new to these cars but I would be highly skeptical of that guarantee no matter the make or model.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 12:57 PM   #49
ufgtrs2007
dentite
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, M2C, JLU392, e92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
I had the Carbahn tune installed last week, have been able to log a few hundred miles of driving and my initial impression is: wow, the car pulls extremely hard all the way through to redline. The extra power is immediately noticeable, the tune is smooth like stock, very happy with the way power comes in, mid-range is a monster, traction control light flickers all the way through 5th gear. I'm very impressed with how the chassis handles the extra power. I'm loving the car all over again.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      05-17-2020, 06:20 PM   #50
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J P View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldrops View Post
UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with the head representative regarding the Carbahn warranty(hate to say I forgot his name). He was helpful and knew exactly what I was looking for. Needless to say I'm extremely impressed.

EDIT: Furthering on the aftermarket intake inquiry, any aftermarket intake was fine, so long as it was safe from outside water.
Am I the only one who thinks covering a stage 2 car under "factory" warranty is a little too good to be true? I mean they are THAT confident in the S55 platform? Just seems like there are too many variables outside their control at that point to be offering a genuine factory warranty.

I'm pretty new to these cars but I would be highly skeptical of that guarantee no matter the make or model.
From what I can see, Stage 2 includes a proper engine rebuild (including the internals). So yeah, I guess they will actually stand behind their products, unlike some other vendors.

Also, Steve Dinan has over 30 years of warranty coverage with little hassle. I would imagine his current company isn't about to torpedo that reputation. And it's a factory matching warranty.

At the end of the day tho, go with your gut. If you don't think they will live up to a warranty for their $10k stage 2 with engine rebuild, then don't buy it. That's what I would say.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 08:46 PM   #51
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

So. Here's the dilemma.

I'm sold on the Carbahn tune.

Two options:

1. Pay the local BMW shop in Denver to pull the DME, FedEx it to Carbahn, wait to get it back, and then have it reinstalled. Said BMW shop will be doing the SSK install, , CDV-Delete, stainless brake lines install, heat exchanger install, M3/M4 intake ports, and crank bolt capture kit (a lot of this is "since you're there already, might as well do this.....")

2. My wife's 50th is next month, and we're having a party for her at our friends house about 90 minutes from Carbahn. It's a 17 hour drive (1.5 days) each way from Denver. I *could* drive the car out and have Carbahn flash the DME while I'm in Cali.

Thoughts? Which way would you jump?

TIA--

R.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 08:54 PM   #52
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

If your going to be close by and have the time why wouldn't you go in there?

If anything good opportunity to have a nosey around their facility, see the process etc..

I'll get a tune at some point and either of these would be strong contenders, but more than happy with stock tune for now. Reliability is important as my car see's track time. I have driven and M3 CS and the power was glorious. Mostly I'd be curious to see if they remove some of the boost loss between shifts on a manual car, although I do love the 'waap' sound it makes on full throttle up shifts.

Power is something you become accustomed to overtime so just remember once you start it's a slippery slope!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 09:29 PM   #53
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post

Power is something you become accustomed to overtime so just remember once you start it's a slippery slope!
Nope. One and done. I've NO interest in going any further.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 12:18 AM   #54
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
So. Here's the dilemma.

Two options:

1. Pay the local BMW shop in Denver to pull the DME, FedEx it to Carbahn, wait to get it back, and then have it reinstalled. Said BMW shop will be doing the SSK install, , CDV-Delete, stainless brake lines install, heat exchanger install, M3/M4 intake ports, and crank bolt capture kit (a lot of this is "since you're there already, might as well do this.....")

2. My wife's 50th is next month, and we're having a party for her at our friends house about 90 minutes from Carbahn. It's a 17 hour drive (1.5 days) each way from Denver. I *could* drive the car out and have Carbahn flash the DME while I'm in Cali.

Thoughts? Which way would you jump?

TIA--

R.
Do #1. #2 is more of an inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 01:43 AM   #55
J P
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
From what I can see, Stage 2 includes a proper engine rebuild (including the internals). So yeah, I guess they will actually stand behind their products, unlike some other vendors.

Also, Steve Dinan has over 30 years of warranty coverage with little hassle. I would imagine his current company isn't about to torpedo that reputation. And it's a factory matching warranty.

At the end of the day tho, go with your gut. If you don't think they will live up to a warranty for their $10k stage 2 with engine rebuild, then don't buy it. That's what I would say.
Sorry, stage 2 was probably a bad way to put it. I meant them covering the catless downpipes/intake with the stage 1 tune. Especially since the language on their website seems to run contrary to what they told waldrops on the phone.

From the Carbahnwebsite:
"A note on down pipes (removing the catalyst). We have run back to back dyno runs with the cat on and off and the power gain is much smaller than most people claim. We all need to breathe the air. Its difficult to get your car its required emissions test without catalyst and it’s illegal."

"*Warranty exclusions:
...damage resulting from the use of other manufacturer’s products in conjunction with CarBahn Autoworks’ products or systems..."

My point was once modifications get significantly outside a factory spec car how could they realistically cover it under a factory warranty? Hence the reason they state the above on their website. Covering a stock car with their tune seems far more guaranteed. They are controlling most of the variables in that case.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 02:20 AM   #56
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, stage 2 was probably a bad way to put it. I meant them covering the catless downpipes/intake with the stage 1 tune. Especially since the language on their website seems to run contrary to what they told waldrops on the phone.

From the Carbahnwebsite:
"A note on down pipes (removing the catalyst). We have run back to back dyno runs with the cat on and off and the power gain is much smaller than most people claim. We all need to breathe the air. Its difficult to get your car its required emissions test without catalyst and it’s illegal."

"*Warranty exclusions:
...damage resulting from the use of other manufacturer’s products in conjunction with CarBahn Autoworks’ products or systems..."

My point was once modifications get significantly outside a factory spec car how could they realistically cover it under a factory warranty? Hence the reason they state the above on their website. Covering a stock car with their tune seems far more guaranteed. They are controlling most of the variables in that case.
Which makes sense, doesn't it? What incentive/reason would they cover a warranty if a part that caused the issue wasn't their's or vetted by them.

They won't void your warranty if you combine with another company's parts. But if that part causes the issue, they won't pay out on your warranty.

Seems reasonable to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:34 AM   #57
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
So. Here's the dilemma.

Two options:
2. My wife's 50th is next month...

R.
My wife's 50th is 6/4. Happy b-day in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:53 AM   #58
beanfritter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C

Quote:
I had this attitude the first time I tuned a car. It didn't last long.
Appreciate 2
Montaver2068.00
BruceM983.00
      05-18-2020, 08:16 PM   #59
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanfritter View Post
Quote:
I had this attitude the first time I tuned a car. It didn't last long.
Haha. I get this. I used to be like this. But then $8k later into an EvoX that I paid like $22k for, I stopped getting ridiculous with engine performance mods. Since then, just a tune, maybe an exhaust (even a catless down pipe here and there) but I can easily stop at that point (and have so on the last 8 or so cars).

Now I focus more on handling and driving experience things (like suspension or short shift kits) and if I tune, I go for a reliable yet punchy tune and I'm content. I guess for me, when I track and AutoX I'm not really in the position where I think "yeah this needs 200 more whp". But before I started tracking and doing AutoX (EvoX and earlier day), I was tuning cars to all hell for the street. Took my monster EvoX to a track day once, and that was it for the crazy power mods for me. It was just impossible to have fun driving that powerful car on a track.

I'm not a drag strip/highway racing hero, so not much need to feel like I'm going to die every time I want to stomp on it. Just want enough to put a smile on my face.

By the way, none of this is to throw shade at anybody who does high power mods, because they keep aftermarket companies in the business. It's just not for me.
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6619.00
      05-18-2020, 08:55 PM   #60
J P
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Which makes sense, doesn't it? What incentive/reason would they cover a warranty if a part that caused the issue wasn't their's or vetted by them.

They won't void your warranty if you combine with another company's parts. But if that part causes the issue, they won't pay out on your warranty.

Seems reasonable to me.
So if we agree covering aftermarket parts from other manufacturers is not a reasonable thing to expect, why did they tell waldrop his catless downpipes/intake were compatible with the warranty? Remember, they said compatible with the warranty, not just compatible with the tune. What am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 10:49 PM   #61
bioman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30

Call them.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 11:07 PM   #62
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgtrs2007 View Post
I had the Carbahn tune installed last week, have been able to log a few hundred miles of driving and my initial impression is: wow, the car pulls extremely hard all the way through to redline. The extra power is immediately noticeable, the tune is smooth like stock, very happy with the way power comes in, mid-range is a monster, traction control light flickers all the way through 5th gear. I'm very impressed with how the chassis handles the extra power. I'm loving the car all over again.
Did you get the "exhaust overrun/startup roar" add-on for the software?

If so, thoughts on it?

TIA.

R.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 11:48 PM   #63
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Seems reasonable to me.
So if we agree covering aftermarket parts from other manufacturers is not a reasonable thing to expect, why did they tell waldrop his catless downpipes/intake were compatible with the warranty? Remember, they said compatible with the warranty, not just compatible with the tune. What am I missing?
I'm not sure why you didn't understand what I meant.

It's a causation thing.

Let's break this down.

Some manufacturers offer warranties that say, if you combine our product with some other product your warranty is automatically voided no matter what CAUSED the failure/defect.

Carbahn is saying that if you combine our product (here a tune) with some other product (here a set of catless downpipes) your warranty is NOT automatically voided. However, if a failure/defect occurs, and the CAUSE of that failure/defect resulted from that other product, then we will not pay out on your warranty (not the same thing as voiding your warranty before causation is even determined).

I hope that makes more sense to you re the legal distinction I am making. I am an attorney and I work in these types of product issues daily. Believe me when I say that their stated warranty and stated position on combining it with other aftermarket parts reconcile with no issues. They are not mutually exclusive positions.
Appreciate 1
J P13.50
      05-19-2020, 01:00 AM   #64
J P
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I hope that makes more sense to you re the legal distinction I am making. I am an attorney and I work in these types of product issues daily. Believe me when I say that their stated warranty and stated position on combining it with other aftermarket parts reconcile with no issues. They are not mutually exclusive positions.
I see the distinction being made, thanks for breaking it down. I guess then you are putting a lot of trust in Carbahn to do the right thing if the car has a catastrophic failure.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      05-19-2020, 02:11 AM   #65
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I see the distinction being made, thanks for breaking it down. I guess then you are putting a lot of trust in Carbahn to do the right thing if the car has a catastrophic failure.
As you would with any company that offers you a warranty on any product you buy. So I place my trust in the man that created the empire and has the relationships with BMW and has put his money where his mouth is on warranty repairs. That ticks what I need for trust personally, but that threshold is different for others.
Appreciate 1
J P13.50
      05-19-2020, 04:41 AM   #66
waldrops
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:

Seems reasonable to me.
Quote:
Quote:

Seems reasonable to me.

I mean... Catless isn't really as big of a deal as people think?

All you're doing is relieving back pressure from the exhaust. Same with the intakes, the change from stock to BMS is quite minimal. I've been running catless on a stock car for about 6k miles and have had no issues.

I typed up exactly what was told to me on the phone. He asked exactly what brands I was using on what car, what tune I planned on getting, what would potentially void the warranty, etc...

Catless/Intakes don't blow engines anywhere near as often as turbos/meth. I think this whole thing is being overthought.
Appreciate 1
J P13.50