BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > "Instant/Spray Wax" for ceramic coated cars?

02-15-2020, 04:51 AM   #1
waldrops
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

"Instant/Spray Wax" for ceramic coated cars?

I've had the Ceramic Pro Gold Package(4 layers of 9H - 1 layer of Light) on my M2C for about six months now and have loved it.

My car is a daily and isn't garaged. While I do maintain the paint obsessively, I've started to notice general buildup akin to minor water spots/paint contamination causing certain parts not to be as hydrophobic. I'm a few months short of my yearly clay bar/ceramic coating update.

While we cannot wax ceramic coated cars, I have seen several water based waxes/sealants that are meant for it. Does anyone have experience with a ceramic coating safe product, akin to spray wax, that I can use after each wash? Or do I just get the car clayed?

For reference, I only use de-ionized water, PH neutral soap, 3 bucket method, and exclusively use a car air dryer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 07:53 PM   #2
Vulpe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
You can definitely put wax or sealants over a ceramic coating. Most people just don't do it because it's typically a waste and you lose the properties of the coating beneath it.

I use Beadmaker as a drying aid to top off my ceramic coating with every wash. It's cheap enough per gallon ~$35 and my one gallon has lasted me a year. There are many other options out there though. Meguairs Hybrid Ceramic Wax, Turtle Wax Seal n Shine to name a few others and you don't have to apply it every time. You could even dilute these down if you want to apply with every wash since they last a few months alone.
Appreciate 1
ChrisK4449.00
      02-15-2020, 09:18 PM   #3
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
You should be using a silica based refresh spray on your car after every wash on ceramic coating. Are you not doing that?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 10:19 PM   #4
waldrops
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
You should be using a silica based refresh spray on your car after every wash on ceramic coating. Are you not doing that?
My installer only said to do it if I want to, otherwise they refresh it every year
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:27 AM   #5
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldrops View Post
My installer only said to do it if I want to, otherwise they refresh it every year
I've used the CarPro Reload spray with good results before. It's specifically made to replenish ceramic coats. There are other brands that do the same. However, I never repurchased after my original supply ran out because it's expensive at $38 for 17 ounces. And switched to Chemical Guys V07 which is $31 for a gallon on Amazon. It accomplishes like 95% of the results at a fraction of the price.

But check with your detailer before using a product, because I don't want you to use something and find out it voids your ceramic coating warranty or something.

In my experience, having used ceramic coatings about 8 times in the last few years. They don't last nearly as long as advertised, require maintenance with expensive products, and take a long time to initially apply and can be screwed up if you're not careful. I still coat my windows and wheels, but the bodywork I've switched to using a good quick detailer after washes.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 12:28 PM   #6
recycledAlva
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 BSM M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I would reach out to your installer. I install CP here in SoCal and typically recommend exactly what you're doing. In some cases an all purpose cleaner like Americana's F-Bomb will do the trick of removing any contaminants (i usually mix in a bit with my soap in a foam cannon and spray the whole car with it)

There's also 'Ceramic Pro Care' but it's a bit pricey - however, the benefits i've seen on throught testing our shop cars have been pretty amazing.

But first i'd reach out to your installer and ask for their recommendations or take it in for a quick maintenance wash/decon and claybar. That should get the coating performing properly again.

Quote:
I've had the Ceramic Pro Gold Package(4 layers of 9H - 1 layer of Light) on my M2C for about six months now and have loved it.

My car is a daily and isn't garaged. While I do maintain the paint obsessively, I've started to notice general buildup akin to minor water spots/paint contamination causing certain parts not to be as hydrophobic. I'm a few months short of my yearly clay bar/ceramic coating update.

While we cannot wax ceramic coated cars, I have seen several water based waxes/sealants that are meant for it. Does anyone have experience with a ceramic coating safe product, akin to spray wax, that I can use after each wash? Or do I just get the car clayed?

For reference, I only use de-ionized water, PH neutral soap, 3 bucket method, and exclusively use a car air dryer.
      02-24-2020, 12:34 PM   #7
waldrops
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledAlva View Post
I would reach out to your installer. I install CP here in SoCal and typically recommend exactly what you're doing. In some cases an all purpose cleaner like Americana's F-Bomb will do the trick of removing any contaminants (i usually mix in a bit with my soap in a foam cannon and spray the whole car with it)

There's also 'Ceramic Pro Care' but it's a bit pricey - however, the benefits i've seen on throught testing our shop cars have been pretty amazing.

But first i'd reach out to your installer and ask for their recommendations or take it in for a quick maintenance wash/decon and claybar. That should get the coating performing properly again.

Quote:

I actually have a maintenance wash scheduled for Wednesday and then I'm going to start using reload after every wash. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 02:38 PM   #8
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
If you're having coating failure after six months then there's something wrong with this scenario...

It's interesting your detailer said "if you want to". You always need to use a topper on a ceramic coating and most companies that have a ceramic coating will have their complementary ceramic booster that is meant to be used after each wash based on your washing frequency. A ceramic coating will not last as long as they claim without proper maintenance. Proper maintenance means many different things, but having it washed frequently and topping it off are part of that group. So sounds like your detailer is just ripping you off because he knows if you don't touch your paint you'll need him to do a couple sprays where he charges all profit for the work.

Your washing method sounds perfect so again something in the equation is not adding up. The detailing industry is definitely getting saturated with people who are not as professional as they claim in the knowledge department. I also find it strange being recommended to use an APC on your ceramic coated car. When you do the prep properly and maintain the finish properly you shouldn't need anything other than your basic washes to keep it alive.

I recommend you digging into forums and doing your own research rather than trusting someone just because they have a "detailing business". Just my two cents.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 03:31 PM   #9
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
If you're having coating failure after six months then there's something wrong with this scenario...

It's interesting your detailer said "if you want to". You always need to use a topper on a ceramic coating and most companies that have a ceramic coating will have their complementary ceramic booster that is meant to be used after each wash based on your washing frequency. A ceramic coating will not last as long as they claim without proper maintenance. Proper maintenance means many different things, but having it washed frequently and topping it off are part of that group. So sounds like your detailer is just ripping you off because he knows if you don't touch your paint you'll need him to do a couple sprays where he charges all profit for the work.

Your washing method sounds perfect so again something in the equation is not adding up. The detailing industry is definitely getting saturated with people who are not as professional as they claim in the knowledge department. I also find it strange being recommended to use an APC on your ceramic coated car. When you do the prep properly and maintain the finish properly you shouldn't need anything other than your basic washes to keep it alive.

I recommend you digging into forums and doing your own research rather than trusting someone just because they have a "detailing business". Just my two cents.
The whole profit method for Ceramic Pro is based off of mandatory yearly visits to the original detailed for "top off and reapplication" of the ceramic coating. If you don't do it you void your "warranty"

Also the fact that CP accepts pretty much and Joe or Sally that applies to be "certified" is why that brand is generally scoffed at in the detailing community
Appreciate 1
rjd5981769.50
      02-27-2020, 05:59 PM   #10
waldrops
Private First Class
Rep

I just went back and got a maintenance wash.

It's back to normal and just like new. It's not that the coating is failing - its just neglected it and the paint became contaminated and needed a clay.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:11 AM   #11
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

This product is amazing on my ceramic coating!!

SiFinish

The new one I will be trying this season.

SiSplash
Appreciate 1
waldrops170.50
      03-14-2020, 04:48 PM   #12
AAAAUTOSPA
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 7 SERIES

Name:  bc-03.png
Views: 3312
Size:  13.0 KB
If you use this kind of ceramic coating then it's easier to put wax on and maintain.
      03-28-2020, 10:00 AM   #13
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Beadmaker for the win. I use it as a drying aid every time I wash the car. And the shine! The paint looks like it's wet. I get lots of complements. It is quite durable also.

My favorite parts about beadmaker:

1) contains zero ingredients that will yellow PPF or damage ceramic coatings.
2) it can be used on ANY surface without film or residue. I especially like using it on the door sills. It prevents door seal squeaks.
waldrops170.50
      04-24-2020, 08:13 AM   #14
drledford93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus RS (RIP), C43 AMG

I just did my wife's C43 with Blackfire Pro and their SiO2 refresher spray and so far, it is great. It is recommended to do the Si02 roughly every month or so. I could see maybe every two weeks but that seems like overkill.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 06:21 PM   #15
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

a few good ceramic boosters

fictech supercharged

fictech car gliss
nanolex si finish
nanolex sisplash
nanolex washcoat
sonax spray and seal
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 07:40 PM   #16
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

I just tried the Nanolex SiSplash last night...

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 12:36 AM   #17
waldrops
Private First Class
Rep

UPDATE: Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I ended up trying two products: CarPro Reload and P&S Beadmaker.

Disclaimer: My car has 5 layers of ceramic coating already applied to it via the Ceramic Pro gold package. I'm looking for a topper to increase shine/slickness/overall aesthetic appeal. If I was looking for a further paint protectant my opinion might be different.

Reload worked well, provided a decent shine, and average slickness. It did not play well with my black 3M wrapped roof or clear bra'd front bumper, but I made it work. It was applied to a clean and dry car liberally using a 500 GSM The Rag Company towel.

Reload is quite expensive for the small bottle provided. While some say it can be diluted, the bottle didn't say to, which resulted in me using about 1/4th of the bottle after one wash.

Overall, I'd give reload a 3/5 for my intended use. Please consider that Reload is an SiO2 compound, which claims higher paint protection properties. I did notice the slickness would last longer than one wash and the beading was on par with the ceramic coating alone.

Beadmaker was quite a different experience. To start, it's much cheaper, I was able to get about a gallon of Beadmaker for the price of a small bottle of Reload. I applied it to a clean and dry car using The Rag Companies recommenced towel(I think is 500GSM? - It's Orange).

It's a polymer based product and goes on quite easily to the regular paint. Beadmaker still didn't play too nicely with the 3M black wrap, but did fine with the clear bra PPF. You easily go through a boatload of this product - using about twice as much as Reload.

After the application I went over the car with a clean microfiber towel and buffed out any streaking and let it sit per their recommendations. Upon returning I was extremely impressed. The slickness and shine were comparable to none. It feels like someone coated your car in lube and I found myself making all my friends touch the paint lol.

Sadly, good things don't come without flaws. Beadmaker's hydrophobic properties are far worse than anything ceramic or SiO2 based. In addition, I didn't find it to last longer than a weekly wash.

In conclusion, Beadmaker was exactly what I was looking for. It's all the gloss, shine, and slickness you'd ever want, but it's not a long term protectant. I'll continue using it as a weekly after wash shine enhancer in the coming future!

I didn't take all too many pictures, but here is one with beadmaker applied the day prior.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
FrozenGT1109.00
      05-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #18
Vulpe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
Sounds about the same as my experiences. It is rather strange with how crazy slick and glossy Beadmaker makes the paint, the hydrophobicity is kind of eh. I had put Turtle Wax Ice Seal n Shine on my mom's X5 and when I got around to washing it a month later. I was like WHOA what the heck did I put on here last time? Even just on initial rinse I just kept spraying the hood to watch the sheeting/beading.

On my car with weekly Beadmaker applications it was no where near that level.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 08:29 PM   #19
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

Check out Nanolex SiSplash for the perfect ceramic booster or stand alone protectant.

Appreciate 0