BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C - Share your Journey

05-27-2020, 06:40 PM   #595
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
They were giving 10% off back in December too, but nothing moved for months, now suddenly a bunch are gone in 1-2 weeks. I've been watching the M2s at these 2 dealers closely...
Quote:
They didn't move at pretty good discounts before, so I wonder what they are discounting at now (based on your theory)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really_fat_ninja View Post
Rates maybe? More of a guess here...
It's the combo...rates are 0.9% for 60 and I believe (not advertised) 1.9% for 72. Also, if the dealer has the ability to "punch" the demo card, the rate may even be flat up 0%...though I don't know there. I'd also suspect based on cars.com inventory going from like 300 a few weeks ago to just about 200 now that BMW is throwing trunk money at the dealers.
Appreciate 1
BigKutta3901.00
      05-27-2020, 06:43 PM   #596
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Also a lot of inventory that got moved were DCTs. Automated manuals have been sitting on lots for months. Especially with new inventory coming in at the end of the summer as '21; and rent / mortgages of buildings coming due, it makes sense to discount them. Traditionally, Memorial Day Weekend is also a popular time to buy cars.
They didn't move at pretty good discounts before, so I wonder what they are discounting at now (based on your theory)?
Pre-covid if a dealer discounted at 10% it moved. In fact, there was a group buy on the forum to get 10% and I believe it was filled pretty quickly.

Now, you're able to see 10% discount on DCTs regularly or with some negotiations. I know this because in the beginning of May I was looking for on lot units. In fact, one dealer in Florida was offering 11.5% after just two emails. But I obviously wanted a manual.

Like you pointed out, many dealers have multiple DCT M2Cs on lots. And they have had them since end of last year. This makes sense as car sales, especially performance car sales are stagnant during the winter months (at least in the northeast). Now that Q2 is halfway, dealers are motivated to get them off lots based on some reasoning I stated previously.
      05-27-2020, 09:13 PM   #597
Really_fat_ninja
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

I got a little over 10% off on a manual ... no negotiation... lol but we always buy from the same guy. For $55k was kind of a no brainer for me. Plus I added all the performance parts With the savings and took advantage of the financing on that . And they gave me the prices getbmwparts offered

And I bought a X5 last month for 15% off...sadly the rates are not as low as they are now. But close.
Fugly M35065.00
BigKutta3901.00
      05-27-2020, 09:58 PM   #598
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really_fat_ninja View Post
I got a little over 10% off on a manual ... no negotiation... lol but we always buy from the same guy. For $55k was kind of a no brainer for me. Plus I added all the performance parts With the savings and took advantage of the financing on that . And they gave me the prices getbmwparts offered

And I bought a X5 last month for 15% off...sadly the rates are not as low as they are now. But close.
Yeah, when I was negotiating I could pick any M2 off the lot for about 10% off, didn't matter manual or DCT. Manual holds no precious value over DCT. Dealers want to move cars.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2020, 10:11 AM   #599
piggysmalls
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2018 C7 Z06

When I was on the hunt over the past few weeks, I contacted 6 dealers in Texas. 4 of them were not willing to work with me at all on price. If I even got a response from them, they said MSRP or take a hike. I was actually surprised that MOST of them were actually fairly rude in their communication. One dealer discounted about 5%, but after reading the 10% discounts forum members were getting and the car not having everything I wanted, I passed. Eventually I found a car with the exact specs I would order, but it had the MPE. However, this particular dealer was very friendly and willing to deal...got 8% off...pretty much the cost of the MPE...lol. Either way, I'm happy with my car...but still very curious where all these 10% off deals are as they definitely don't seem to be in Texas...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #600
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Pre-covid if a dealer discounted at 10% it moved. In fact, there was a group buy on the forum to get 10% and I believe it was filled pretty quickly.

Now, you're able to see 10% discount on DCTs regularly or with some negotiations. I know this because in the beginning of May I was looking for on lot units. In fact, one dealer in Florida was offering 11.5% after just two emails. But I obviously wanted a manual.

Like you pointed out, many dealers have multiple DCT M2Cs on lots. And they have had them since end of last year. This makes sense as car sales, especially performance car sales are stagnant during the winter months (at least in the northeast). Now that Q2 is halfway, dealers are motivated to get them off lots based on some reasoning I stated previously.
Do you think a dealer cares if the car sold is a DCT or manual? Like I said above, I could have picked any M2 off the lot for 10%.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 10:49 AM   #601
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by piggysmalls View Post
When I was on the hunt over the past few weeks, I contacted 6 dealers in Texas. 4 of them were not willing to work with me at all on price. If I even got a response from them, they said MSRP or take a hike. I was actually surprised that MOST of them were actually fairly rude in their communication. One dealer discounted about 5%, but after reading the 10% discounts forum members were getting and the car not having everything I wanted, I passed. Eventually I found a car with the exact specs I would order, but it had the MPE. However, this particular dealer was very friendly and willing to deal...got 8% off...pretty much the cost of the MPE...lol. Either way, I'm happy with my car...but still very curious where all these 10% off deals are as they definitely don't seem to be in Texas...
Its definitely a regional thing. And even then, its localized based on inventory and sales volume of the dealership. when I bought back in Dec, the dealers scoffed at what I was offering (10%), but eventually buckled. Then it became a thing locally. At that same time I reached out to dealers 30-120 minutes away, and none could give me more than 2-5%. So it really depends.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #602
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Do you think a dealer cares if the car sold is a DCT or manual? Like I said above, I could have picked any M2 off the lot for 10%.
Dealers don't care, but supply and demand matters and dealers use those factors to capitalize on their profits.

The point is, dealers have mostly DCTs on their lots. There is a reason for this based on popularity. Therefore, I have encountered numerous times dealers offering larger discounts on DCTs on lot vs. a manual via factory order. Why is that? Based on your point of dealers not caring, getting a sold order is a sold order. Why not just give the 10% on a factory order. At the end of the day, a sold car is a positive on their balance sheet. The only difference is the timing of that completed transaction.

This all goes back to what is more popular and what dealers can get for a particular unit. Using my own example, I found 1-2 MT with my exact spec, but many more with DCT. It would be foolish for a dealer not to treat MT as a higher value item when most options are DCT.
      05-28-2020, 11:46 AM   #603
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
I have encountered numerous times dealers offering larger discounts on DCTs on lot vs. a manual via factory order.
Not even remotely comparing apples to apples here, bud. I was talking specifically about discounted on-lot DCTs and Manuals

And yes, an on the lot car should fetch a better discount versus ordered...we all know why so lets now regurg.

And the reason why there are more DCTs on the lot versus manuals, is also supply and demand. Once its there, they'll move it.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 12:00 PM   #604
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have encountered numerous times dealers offering larger discounts on DCTs on lot vs. a manual via factory order.
Not even remotely comparing apples to apples here, bud. I was talking specifically about discounted on-lot DCTs and Manuals

And yes, an on the lot car should fetch a better discount versus ordered...we all know why so lets now regurg.

And the reason why there are more DCTs on the lot versus manuals, is also supply and demand. Once its there, they'll move it.
I get your point and it's an interesting discussion. You made a valid point that there may be more DCTs around because manuals have been moving. But what we don't know was the price that it was sold. I would offer they were moved mostly pre-Covid and most were not at anywhere near 10%. However, it seems you were lucky to have the option of either at 10%, which is clearly not the norm.

How I interpreted your comment was the current market conditions with the current supply and demand factors. As of today, there are far fewer MT options than DCTs. Thus, I would offer dealers would value these two options differently in terms of what they want to sell the vehicle at. And I have given anecdotal evidence from dealers who have either DCT or MT and what their max discounting policies were. Again, in cases I approached dealers with MT, they would not go near 10%. In other cases with DCT, they would go 10% or higher.

Unfortunately we cannot easily test it with dealers that have both options in today's climate and get their thoughts on the matter.

Regardless, I am just presenting what I have seen and my theory from a business first standpoint. But I'm happy to move on from this topic and back to when '21 allocations will be available for dealers.
      05-28-2020, 02:23 PM   #605
Red2296
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
I've been following this thread for a couple weeks now and just received my Bimmerpost access. I was looking into an M2C for a while now and decided to pull the trigger. Visited my dealer and placed an order 5/2 and it automatically went into his system as a 2021 with blocked information and no confirmed production time frame. My Sales rep also found a 2020 allocation in case that was going to be produced earlier. This had a production number until 5/15 then it was no longer recognized by the system. My sales rep told me from his understanding BMW was in the process of determining whether to start the 2021 production early; supposedly a lot of ambiguity around this subject he said. Fast forward to today, just received a confirmation from him for a 2021 with a confirmed production of (yr/mo/wk) 2020/07/27. So it sounds like dealers are starting to get their allocations for the 2021's now. Now to "patiently" wait until July.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      05-29-2020, 06:46 PM   #606
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2296 View Post
I've been following this thread for a couple weeks now and just received my Bimmerpost access. I was looking into an M2C for a while now and decided to pull the trigger. Visited my dealer and placed an order 5/2 and it automatically went into his system as a 2021 with blocked information and no confirmed production time frame. My Sales rep also found a 2020 allocation in case that was going to be produced earlier. This had a production number until 5/15 then it was no longer recognized by the system. My sales rep told me from his understanding BMW was in the process of determining whether to start the 2021 production early; supposedly a lot of ambiguity around this subject he said. Fast forward to today, just received a confirmation from him for a 2021 with a confirmed production of (yr/mo/wk) 2020/07/27. So it sounds like dealers are starting to get their allocations for the 2021's now. Now to "patiently" wait until July.
Red

Are you doing a European delivery?

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #607
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Gang

The sporty coupé is back in play . . . like new and ready to rumble.

///AVM
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Poochie9104.50
Thescout134944.00
JCZ51482.50
Moflow2484.50
BigKutta3901.00
      05-29-2020, 07:35 PM   #608
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328Xi, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
My dealer stated the same, but could not tell me when 2021 would start being produced. You have a firm date and received a production number?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:46 PM   #609
Fuji550i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, E46 m3, E60 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Gang

///AVM
Quote:
Gang

///AVM
Ya man.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      05-29-2020, 07:50 PM   #610
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavallone View Post
Quote:
My dealer stated the same, but could not tell me when 2021 would start being produced. You have a firm date and received a production number?
Mav

That is why I asked Red if he is doing a Euro delivery. . . odd to get a specific build date given current circumstances.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:53 PM   #611
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
With an end of July production, you probably wont see your M2C until September.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:55 PM   #612
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Mav

That is why I asked Red if he is doing a Euro delivery. . . odd to get a specific build date given current circumstances.

///AVM
This whole lockdown BS is over with and not a minute too soon, there are just a couple of lingering officials that doesn't want to let go.

So it's not surprising that BMW & Germany is back to business and they feel then give solid dates on ED and product launches.
Appreciate 2
///AVM2529.50
Fugly M35065.00
      05-29-2020, 08:36 PM   #613
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Kutta

I wanted you to mark this date on your calendar . . . once every few months I do in fact get the hose and bucket out, and apply some elbow grease to my vehicle. I present proof below.

The wheels were clean for all of 100 feet, before I fully pumped the brakes a couple times . . . by the end of a short drive they were in full retreat back to my preferred 'matted' brake dust finish.

Little things I do to try and fit in around this place . . . I even parked the vehicle in front of some foliage at the end of the driveway to let VisualEcho know I have been paying attention to his work

///AVM
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Fugly M35065.00
Moflow2484.50
Poochie9104.50
BigKutta3901.00
      05-29-2020, 08:44 PM   #614
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Kutta

I wanted you to mark this date on your calendar . . . once every few months I do in fact get the hose and bucket out, and apply some elbow grease to my vehicle. I present proof below.

The wheels were clean for all of 100 feet, before I fully pumped the brakes a couple times . . . by the end of a short drive they were in full retreat back to my preferred 'matted' brake dust finish.

Little things I do to try and fit in around this place . . . I even parked the vehicle in front of some foliage at the end of the driveway to let VisualEcho know I have been paying attention to his work

///AVM
Nice car...thinking about that instead of the M2...but thinking I should wait for a 4.0.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      05-29-2020, 09:20 PM   #615
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Kutta

///AVM
Cracks me up. What neck of the woods are you living in? Looks like Carolina foliage.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 12:57 AM   #616
Red2296
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
Quote:
Red

Are you doing a European delivery?

///AVM
Quote:
Quote:
Mav

///AVM
Sadly I'm not doing a European Delivery, but i wish. I have received a production number for it with a confirmed production week of week 27 which puts it at June 29 - July 5. To your point AVM, I was surprised to see a production week that early given everything going on. My dealer told me this was their first allocation for a 21.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50