BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Cobra Nogaro Seats Installed!

05-09-2020, 09:35 PM   #45
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotxERAU View Post
Awesome, thanks for the right up! For the MDM and steering what did those codes look like in e-sys? Thanks.
Steering is in EPS, switch "variantencodierung normal" to "F87CS" (or F82GTS or whatever you want, the options will all pop up).

MDM is in DSC, switch "C_Laenderkennung" to "ECE" (from US) and "C_Variante_Fahrzeug_e" to "F82GTS" to get Euro M4 GTS MDM. Most people seem to play around with the values and dial in what they like. That will be a

Again, I haven't pushed the car hard enough to get it sideways since I changed settings, but I've heard it might much easier now, so watch out!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 11:01 PM   #46
iBrakeLate
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

I tried to install the seats in an 2020 F87 M2 Comp today, and seems like no matter what I do, I can't code out one restraint system error.

I only have the driver seat changed right now, was making sure I can code everything before changing the passenger seat.

I have the factory belt buckle on, the connector is connected correctly, because if I remove the connector I get a secondary code.

I tried to clear all the codes with tool32 but one won't clear.

So far I coded all the following:

Occupancy sensor:
CIS_Beifaher: aktiv -> nicht_aktiv

Driver seat airbag:
Sitzairbag_Thorax_Fahrer: aktiv -> nicht_aktiv

Driver seat position sensor memory:
Sitzpositionsensorserkennung_Sitzmemory_Fahrer: aktiv -> nicht_aktiv

Coded all the memory settings to nicht_aktiv as well.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 10:26 AM   #47
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrakeLate View Post
I tried to install the seats in an 2020 F87 M2 Comp today, and seems like no matter what I do, I can't code out one restraint system error.

I only have the driver seat changed right now, was making sure I can code everything before changing the passenger seat.

I have the factory belt buckle on, the connector is connected correctly, because if I remove the connector I get a secondary code.

I tried to clear all the codes with tool32 but one won't clear.

So far I coded all the following:

Occupancy sensor:
CIS_Beifaher: aktiv -> nicht_aktiv

Driver seat airbag:
Sitzairbag_Thorax_Fahrer: aktiv -> nicht_aktiv

Driver seat position sensor memory:
Sitzpositionsensorserkennung_Sitzmemory_Fahrer: aktiv -> nicht_aktiv

Coded all the memory settings to nicht_aktiv as well.

Any help would be appreciated.
For the driver side, you should only have to code:
  • Sitzairbag_Thorax_Fahrer (Driver seat airbag)
  • Sitzpositionsensor_Fahrer (Driver seat position sensor)
  • Sitzpositionsensorserkennung_Sitzmemory_Fahrer (Driver seat position sensor memory)

The occupancy sensor is passenger side only (it's assumed that if the car is in motion, the driver side is occupied).

What is the fault code you're getting?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 04:10 PM   #48
iBrakeLate
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by asciimike View Post
For the driver side, you should only have to code:
  • Sitzairbag_Thorax_Fahrer (Driver seat airbag)
  • Sitzpositionsensor_Fahrer (Driver seat position sensor)
  • Sitzpositionsensorserkennung_Sitzmemory_Fahrer (Driver seat position sensor memory)

The occupancy sensor is passenger side only (it's assumed that if the car is in motion, the driver side is occupied).

What is the fault code you're getting?
So I hope this post helps someone in the same situation in the future. I have seen a few people with similar problems to what I was having trying to find a solution.

I did all of that, hence why it was driving me crazy. I coded everything possible that I thought could be part of a seatbelt restraint and was having no luck.

No matter what was coded as "Nicht Aktiv" there would still be one error for a restraint system, even with the seat belt buckle connector plugged in correctly. Also Tool32 would not be able to erase it.

I coded the car back to factory coding then coded out the same things that was discussed in this thread, cleared the existing codes that popped up with tool32, voila, magically no more errors.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 04:34 PM   #49
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Relevant:

I believe when I coded mine first I had a few codes that wouldn't clear (I had also forgotten one or two of the passenger sensors), and coding the second time to set those cleared more fault codes (including some unrelated ones that hadn't been cleared the first time).
Appreciate 1
mcvaughan704.00
      05-12-2020, 02:40 PM   #50
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Quote:
Relevant:

I believe when I coded mine first I had a few codes that wouldn't clear (I had also forgotten one or two of the passenger sensors), and coding the second time to set those cleared more fault codes (including some unrelated ones that hadn't been cleared the first time).
Great info thanks guys. I am swapping seats soon this thread will be invaluable.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 01:33 PM   #51
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Browsing VO codes (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=966607), it looks like there might be an even easier fix: removing the VO code for sport seats (S481A or S482A, like the latter since we have the Sport seat and Sport steering wheel--or maybe they're the M Sport seats S711A or S712A?) and adding "Recarro sports seat" (S4FAA). Unsure if you need to do "Delete Sport seat" (S4FBA).

I haven't tested this yet (and honestly don't really want to, since I'd like to not mess with something that is already working), but it may be a one-stop shop. If someone is doing this in the future, I'd appreciate you testing it out to let us know if it works!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 02:30 PM   #52
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Quote:
After five months of planning and waiting, I finally got around to installing a custom set of Cobra Nogaro Circuits in my 2017 M2. Total cost was about $2200 plus an afternoon to install.

I ordered by leather and alcantara from UK Hide, so I didn't have to pay shipping or import tariffs (though I did have to pay VAT, apparently since the hides aren't immediately re-exported and instead turned into something else). I used a full hide of Schwarz Black Basis leather and 1m of Charcoal (9002) backed alcantara, as well as Cobra's provided polar blue stitching.

I probably should have had BMW seat heaters installed, though the folks at HMS told me I can just add them under the pads in the future. That will require me pulling the seat electronics modules off the current seats (or buying new ones) as well as trying to find out how to fit F87 seat heaters into these seats. I may go for E46 ones (they're rectangular) and replace the plugs, or get aftermarket ones and add a thermostat.

As you can see, I'm running a Quickfit Pro. It was a PITA to install, given that the buckle doesn't fit through the harness straps unless you disassemble it partially--which is exacerbated by Schroth filling one of the hex screws with paint to discourage you from doing this. You're pretty well locked in with this combination, and I'm excited for some spirited driving and auto-x in the near future.

My only gripe so far is that the rear seats are nearly impossible to get into/out of (you have to be a fairly slim or small human, and enter through the bottom of the seat and slide your way up, or enter from the trunk...). Once you're there; however, you've got plenty of leg room! So still works to haul kids (or skis), but maybe not your friends.

I haven't coded out all the warnings yet, so the car is fairly unhappy at startup. I'll update this thread with some more info once I've got that dealt with them.

Special thanks to Brian @ HMS Motorsports, who shepherded this project along and put up with tons of my questions. Super helpful guy backed up by a great team.

Plan is to turn the old seats into living room chairs (a la the SV-40), and I'm sure I'll post some pictures when they're done.
How comfortable are these seats I'm. thinking about these or sportster when I get into an E90 M3. These look similar to M3 CRT seats though!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 02:08 PM   #53
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM2 View Post
How comfortable are these seats I'm. thinking about these or sportster when I get into an E90 M3. These look similar to M3 CRT seats though!
I find them pretty comfortable and it's rare that passengers complain (my only complaint has come from my 6'8" friend, as his hips were too wide for the seats and I couldn't get them to go back far enough...).

I use a QuickFit Pro with them all the time, and they're definitely a little more fatiguing than the stock seats were. I didn't get the lumbar support option, and I likely should have, since I think I sit straighter in it which I'm not used to.

My only other complaint driving a manual is that they really are designed for DCT, as moving my right arm to shift gets some resistance from the curve of the shoulders.

Lastly, if you need to have normal folks get in/out of the rear seats, the sportsters are going to be much better. You can get people in the back, but they have to contort themselves to get in (or be children). Once you're in, it's perfectly spacious, it's just hard to get in/out.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 03:09 PM   #54
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM2 View Post
I will give this a shot and report back when I install mine in the near future.
Appreciate 1
SM2731.50
      05-18-2020, 03:18 PM   #55
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I find them pretty comfortable and it's rare that passengers complain (my only complaint has come from my 6'8" friend, as his hips were too wide for the seats and I couldn't get them to go back far enough...).

I use a QuickFit Pro with them all the time, and they're definitely a little more fatiguing than the stock seats were. I didn't get the lumbar support option, and I likely should have, since I think I sit straighter in it which I'm not used to.

My only other complaint driving a manual is that they really are designed for DCT, as moving my right arm to shift gets some resistance from the curve of the shoulders.

Lastly, if you need to have normal folks get in/out of the rear seats, the sportsters are going to be much better. You can get people in the back, but they have to contort themselves to get in (or be children). Once you're in, it's perfectly spacious, it's just hard to get in/out.
Wondering if you changed the slider angle so the Nagaro's are straight on longitudinally with the chassis unlike the stock M2 seat which are angled to meet side impact standards?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 03:48 PM   #56
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Wondering if you changed the slider angle so the Nagaro's are straight on longitudinally with the chassis unlike the stock M2 seat which are angled to meet side impact standards?

Thanks.
I never really noticed the angle TBH, but no, I just used the standard Brey Krause mounts, which presumably follow the same angle as the stock sliders.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 04:03 PM   #57
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok, the part everyone has been patiently waiting for. To be honest, coding is super daunting up front, as most of the instructions are terrible and the all of the download links seem sketchy, plus the persistent fear of bricking your car.

As always, everything here is at your own risk, so proceed with caution.

I went from knowing next to nothing this morning to coding away all my errors, in three easy steps:
  1. Download E-Sys, E-Sys Launcher, and activate E-Sys Launcher
  2. FDL code several seat settings from aktiv to nicht_aktiv (aka "turn them off")
  3. Reset all fault codes using an OBD reader (I used BimmerLink, but I'm sure that any of them work)

Now, more detail on the above.

For 1:
  • get an Enet cable (e.g. this: https://amzn.to/3d73jiL)
  • download E-Sys 3.27 and E-Sys Launcher Pro 2.8r155 (I used http://bmwtune.com/coding), as well as the latest PSdZData file. This post (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...3#post10193333) has great instructions, and links to this PDF: https://mega.nz/file/H9AlBZKQ#-gkBqT...vv7kh1WesW1l5g which will guide you all the instructions you need
  • you need a token (the .est file) and the pin (1234), then when you click "Launch" the first time, it'll give you an "activation code", which you can email that guy to exchange for the code needed to launch the application. He responded in about an hour or two for me.
  • if you want to download more sketchy software or don't want to email someone, you can download Tokenbuster (which is presumably how he's generating tokens) here: https://mega.nz/folder/09EjUQpY#viP2L7ifEA8NKaX2OKxL0Q. Yes, Windows thinks its a virus, so you'll have to disable antivirus software. Do everything here at your own risk. Basically, generate a new token and PIN, put it in E-Sys Launcher to get a new Activation Code, then get the code out of TokenBuster. This is the method I went and it worked fine.
  • launch E-Sys through E-Sys Launcher--it should work!

For 2:
  • learn how to use E-Sys for FDL coding. I watched this video. He's a bit slow, but it teaches you what to do in 15 minutes.
  • connect the cable, turn the car on, connect to your car, etc. and head to ACSM, #3000
  • set the following codes from aktiv to nicht_aktiv:

CIS_Beifaher (Occupancy sensor)
Sitzairbag_Thorax_Fahrer (Driver seat airbag)
Sitzairbag_Thorax_Beifahrer (Passenger seat airbag)
Sitzpositionsensor_Fahrer (Driver seat position sensor)
Sitzpositionsensor_Beifahrer (Passenger seat position sensor)
Sitzpositionsensorserkennung_Sitzmemory_Fahrer (Driver seat position sensor memory)
Sitzpositionsensorserkennung_Sitzmemory_Beifahrer (Passenger seat position sensor memory)

Save, FDL code, and wait for success

For 3:
  • connect your favorite OBD fault code app (again, I used BimmerLink)
  • clear all codes (there will likely be a few)

Restart the car and you should have no errors coming from the Driver/Passenger safety systems!

At the same time I did M4GTS + Euro MDM and M2CS steering. I didn't push the car on the drive home (it was highway driving), so honestly I didn't feel anything, but we'll see how it performs at the next auto-x.
Where did you get the latest PSdZData? I am guessing this is the latest version 4.22.31? I was all ready to go and then total failure when the CAFD files could not be read! I guess my I-Step is too new for the PSdZData I have.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 07:29 PM   #58
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Where did you get the latest PSdZData? I am guessing this is the latest version 4.22.31? I was all ready to go and then total failure when the CAFD files could not be read! I guess my I-Step is too new for the PSdZData I have.
I got a newer version and it worked! Thanks for all the help!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 02:49 PM   #59
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I got a newer version and it worked! Thanks for all the help!
Huh, I've been using: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...3#post10193333, which I guess is 4.21.32? Seems to work fine for me.

Did you PM Shawn to get the latest? https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...01081&page=203

What IStep are you on? I'm on F020-16-07-504.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 10:46 AM   #60
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Huh, I've been using: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...3#post10193333, which I guess is 4.21.32? Seems to work fine for me.

Did you PM Shawn to get the latest? https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...01081&page=203

What IStep are you on? I'm on F020-16-07-504.
Yes I am on F020-19-03-530 which looks like the latest so that was my issue but I did get the 4.21.32 and it worked

Do you know of any cheat sheets that translate what all the various coding options are and what they do?

Thanks.

Last edited by PilotxERAU; 05-27-2020 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:47 AM   #61
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes I am on F020-19-03-530 which looks like the latest so that was my issue but U dud get the 4.21.32 and it worked

Do you know of any cheat sheets that translate what all the various coding options are and what they do?

Thanks.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1227585 seems to indicate people were trying to move to the XML based cheat sheets (https://github.com/packetpilot/bmw-f), but IDK how well that's gone.

Honestly I've had decently good luck just googling for specific things (eg the seat airbags), but the M1/M2 buttons nobody seems to know anything about, so a lot of it comes down to spending time reading the other cheat sheets out there to get a sense of what's going on, then trying things and seeing what happens...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 01:54 PM   #62
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankles View Post
Those look great. Stitching makes it seem oem
I have sample from Cobra to match out interior if u want to see em.
      05-26-2020, 02:16 PM   #63
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankles View Post
Those look great. Stitching makes it seem oem
I have sample from Cobra to match out interior if u want to see em.
Well, I do have manual seats so it would be a bit easier
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 08:30 PM   #64
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Ok, the last thing I wanted to do was display the seats in my living room in a way that they weren't just sitting on the ground (since I want to keep them around in case I need to update the IStep version...). I found someone in the UK who designed industrial chair frames that fit our seats, and he was able to build me a kit for export that was custom built for our seats!

Check out https://www.scavengerdesignbrighton.co.uk/ and shoot Joe an email if you're interested--he's super skilled and his prices are very reasonable, even shipped to the US.
Attached Images

Last edited by asciimike; 05-29-2020 at 12:02 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-30-2020, 07:20 PM   #65
Mike0105
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

How is egress into the backseat with the Cobra Nogaro seats installed? Someone mentioned a good judge is to just move the standard seats all the way up but I wanted to see if that was the case or not.
Thanks,
Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 09:20 AM   #66
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0105 View Post
How is egress into the backseat with the Cobra Nogaro seats installed? Someone mentioned a good judge is to just move the standard seats all the way up but I wanted to see if that was the case or not.
Thanks,
Mike
A 5'4" 110lb female has no problem, but an average sized 5'10" 160lb male will. I have to snake my way into the back seats, and it's not really easy, though it's possible. Basically: your kids are fine, but your friends might not be.
Appreciate 0