BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Don't Update Your Software At The Dealer

06-26-2019, 09:24 AM   #89
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Yup electric tuning sounds fun.. We're getting an Audi etron for a family runabout next spring. (Yes Etron is French for a turd but hey ho)

Its the future but I'll be keeping my petrol head on!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 09:57 PM   #90
rjtoudouze
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw M2, 335, Toyota MR2

I don't want any car that the manufacturer can update the car OTA. A car is not an iphone and that is too much control the manufacturer has over MY car. I this is going to be more common going forward, especially with electrics.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 02:56 AM   #91
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtoudouze View Post
I don't want any car that the manufacturer can update the car OTA. A car is not an iphone and that is too much control the manufacturer has over MY car. I this is going to be more common going forward, especially with electrics.
It's gonna become necessary unfortunately. As cars gain more driving assists allowing control of steering, brakes, etc. it will only be a matter of time before security flaws are found and they are called back for updates. It's a lot easier to update OTA. Any modern car already has a ton of software in it, and it's been growing almost exponentially since 2000. Just look at Boeing with the 737 MAX .

Not much you can do but buy / own cars before that happens.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 04:22 AM   #92
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Tesla and others already use OTA updates I think.

Even the M2 has OTA sat nav and map updates and idrive app updates etc and Telematics to report to BMW about servicing etc, its only a progression of that in reality.

Ok for a DD / family car, but not good if you want to mod etc..

Last edited by doughboy; 06-28-2019 at 05:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 11:35 PM   #93
wes0228s
Sleeper X5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 3.5 SDrive MSPORT

Garage List
There is hope after BMW updates your DME

We have a 2014 X5 that had the MHD statge 1 N55 program.
BMW updated the modules after we had the CD Player and Climate Control face plate module fail.
I informed the dealer not to perform any DME module updates and they did!!
MHD could not be reinstalled even after I had the DME "broken".
Also, all of the body control mods that were installed were erased.
The Good News is that SSR Performance in Orange CA was able to install BOOTMOD3 and my vehicle is better than before.
After driving it for 50 miles it's even faster and more responsive than the MHD program and the "Blurble" during downshift is more audible.
I would love to give my Attorney the names of everyone on Bimmerpost who would like to Class-Action Suit BMW for screwing with our freedom of choice.
It's our vehicles, not their's!!!
I also think the service manager and the tech at BMW were upset with the fact that they tried to sell me a factory replacement part for $1100 for the CD/Climate Control Module and I picked it up in Germany for under $300 and installed it in 30 mins, not 3 hours like I was quoted.
All they had to do was program the Module yto active the A/C to allow compressor engagement and not flash the whole system.
AES in Orange could have done the programming for $99. Next time we are going there.
I was loyal to the dealer because I worked their previously. So much for Loyalty!!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 01:50 AM   #94
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
When I looked at it before the dsc module is a very different part number between the cars (not just an iteration).

Also, I'm not able to code my dsc to the m2c settings, which suggests that the m2c dsc software isn't supported on the og m2 module.
Have you updated on OG M2?
Yes. Basically it becomes like an lci - big changes to traction/dsc, exhaust valve control (louder) and steering.

The car feels much quicker as the dsc is less intrusive.

I then coded the car to have m2c steering - another massive positive jump in feel.

Fully recommend doing this.
How do I code M2C steering?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 10:52 AM   #95
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes0228s View Post
I would love to give my Attorney the names of everyone on Bimmerpost who would like to Class-Action Suit BMW for screwing with our freedom of choice.
Really, class action? Get a grip.
Appreciate 2
tokki203.50
mcompact119.00
      08-29-2020, 11:38 AM   #96
Paul CS
Rep
Drives: m135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes0228s View Post
Really, class action? Get a grip.
Yes I think a lawyer would say whilst it is your car, it's not your intellectual property and if you want warranty support, modifications of any kind are a no no.
Appreciate 0