BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > PPF and Gtechnique

05-21-2020, 08:48 AM   #1
BigJRocksIt
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

PPF and Gtechnique

Howdy!

I'm getting ready to coat my new wheels in C5, and have some other carbon parts that I'm coating in EXO V4. I started thinking about it and it might be a good idea just to do the whole car now. I was thinking about using CSL as the base coat, with a top coat of EXO on the whole car. I detail quite a bit, but have never used nano/ceramic before.

The instructions for CSL say to avoid coating PPF. I have the typical OEM PPF in places on the car, anyone have a method/process to avoid causing damage?

The instructions for EXO don't mention anything about avoiding PPF. Has anyone coated their entire car with just EXO and skipped CSL? Should I avoid coating PPF with EXO as well?

Last question- should I use CSL & EXO together, or can I just use EXO on it's own? What are the pros/cons?

Please feel free to add anything that I might have missed here.

TIA!
Appreciate 1
FrozenGT1116.50
      05-21-2020, 12:32 PM   #2
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

Hello-

Let me share with you what I just went through using the products that you mention.

My 2020 BMW M2 competition has been completely coated in GTECHNIQ products.

GTECHNIQ-

1. CSL Ceramic
2. EXOv4 Topper hydrophobic
3. Halo PPF hydrophobic protection
4. C5 Wheel Armor Ceramic

Paint correction steps - maximum level

1. CarPro ClearCut Compound
2. CarPro Essence- Finishing polish adds SiO2 ceramic coating prep
3. CarPro eraser- this is very important for prepping to paint to clean the oil's from the polishing.

I would recommend purchasing about 20 microfiber coating removal towels. MF1 from GTECHNIQ

I spent 15 hours of prep time to get the coating at maximum level.

The preparation is the most important part the better you prep the paint the nicer your coating will look
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 12:39 PM   #3
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep

Oh I forget to mention- I ran over my PPF with CSL many times no issues. Just remember to wipe right at the flash time with two towels to remove any residue.

My recommendation is to also use Halo PPF as the final coating you put on the car after you've done CSL EXOv4.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2020, 01:12 PM   #4
BigJRocksIt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
Oh I forget to mention- I ran over my PPF with CSL many times no issues. Just remember to wipe right at the flash time with two towels to remove any residue.

My recommendation is to also use Halo PPF as the final coating you put on the car after you've done CSL EXOv4.
Thanks for the info on that... A little anxious about the PPF stuff and wanted to make sure I was educated on it.

What are you using to for regular washes? Are you using a quick detailer as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 01:38 PM   #5
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJRocksIt View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the info on that... A little anxious about the PPF stuff and wanted to make sure I was educated on it.

What are you using to for regular washes? Are you using a quick detailer as well?
Welcome!

For maintenance washing I am using GTECHNIQ Gwash and Drying aid C2v3. Pressure washer with foam cannon. You can also use P&S Bead Maker as well or Wowows quick detailer
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 01:52 PM   #6
BigJRocksIt
Rep

Quote:
Welcome!

For maintenance washing I am using GTECHNIQ Gwash and Drying aid C2v3. Pressure washer with foam cannon. You can also use P&S Bead Maker as well or Wowows quick detailer
One last, last question

When you coated your wheels did you use Panel Wipe at all? My C5 just showed up in the mail, but Panel Wipe is all sold out everywhere. I'd like to get the wheels thrown on this weekend, but don't want to wait for Panel Wipe to coat them first.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 01:54 PM   #7
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Welcome!

One last, last question

When you coated your wheels did you use Panel Wipe at all? My C5 just showed up in the mail, but Panel Wipe is all sold out everywhere. I'd like to get the wheels thrown on this weekend, but don't want to wait for Panel Wipe to coat them first.
No worries happy to answer any questions-

I'm actually using CarPro eraser- you can use that to wipe down wheels and panels but most likely I will switch over to GTech as it's a cleaner chemical cleaner vs CarPro which has a blue coloring additive
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 02:02 PM   #8
BigJRocksIt
Rep

Quote:

I'm actually using CarPro eraser- you can use that to wipe down wheels and panels but most likely I will switch over to GTech as it's a cleaner chemical cleaner vs CarPro which has a blue coloring additive

Thanks! I've got a full bottle of CG Clean Slate that will do the same thing. I'll wash the wheels with that, dry them and they should be good for the C5.

Really appreciate the advice.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 02:59 PM   #9
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! I've got a full bottle of CG Clean Slate that will do the same thing. I'll wash the wheels with that, dry them and they should be good for the C5.

Really appreciate the advice.
I have tried the CG as well- Anytime Man! Good Luck! Post pics when you are done.
Appreciate 0