BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > M2 differential and manual transmission fluid flush

01-25-2021, 05:18 PM   #133
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Or, maybe they filled it with SAF-XO...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 02:49 PM   #134
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Hadn't even thought about the transmission or gearbox oil since getting the car.

Mileage intervals/age to do it at?

2016 OG 22k miles
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 03:10 PM   #135
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Hadn't even thought about the transmission or gearbox oil since getting the car.

Mileage intervals/age to do it at?

2016 OG 22k miles
Well for the transmission IIRC bmw says it's life time but that is not true, generally I do it every 4 years because my car is a lower mileage vehicle but if you drive it alot then I would recommend every 48k km - 50k km or less. For the differential bmw recommends doing it every 5 years or 50k miles, but I do it every 4 years.
      08-19-2021, 09:26 PM   #136
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Mine's a grey market import CDN car but i don't think the first owner even had it serviced except for the first oil change.

Should I change the Diff? Look for MSP/A (75-140w). 2 liters. Drain and fill until it overflows. Holy cow it's 70$ a liter here. Is there an alternative for this? The Castrol one?

Should i also change the 6MT oil?
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS

Last edited by vrooooom; 08-19-2021 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 09:39 PM   #137
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
Mine's a grey market import CDN car but i don't think the first owner even had it serviced except for the first oil change.

Should I change the Diff? Look for MSP/A (75-140w). 2 liters. Drain and fill until it overflows. Holy cow it's 70$ a liter here. Is there an alternative for this? The Castrol one?

Should i also change the 6MT oil?
You only need 1L for the diff, exactly 1L, and once the entire bottle is emptied you will get a slow trickle from the diff.

Yes you should also change the 6mt oil.

If you can't get MSP/A then get SAF-XJ, if you can't get that then get the castrol syntrax limited slip 75w-140. you also need a new drain and fill plug for the diff, the O-rings are one time use and if you reuse the plugs you risk a leak which can take out your diff.
vrooooom325.00
      08-19-2021, 09:50 PM   #138
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

I read on one of your posting you were thinking of using the Redline transmission oil before? Would you still recommend that? or stick w/ the LT5?

I have better access to these type of fluids than BMW. Amsoil, Redline, R Purple, ....Castrol (not so popular here) but myb there is.
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 10:55 PM   #139
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I read on one of your posting you were thinking of using the Redline transmission oil before? Would you still recommend that? or stick w/ the LT5?

I have better access to these type of fluids than BMW. Amsoil, Redline, R Purple, ....Castrol (not so popular here) but myb there is.
For the diff stay with bmw oem fluids if possible, they are very finicky so msp/a should be used, if not saf-xj, and then the last option imo would be Castrol syntrax.

For transmission it's alot more flexible, I would have gone redline dctf if given the choice, but it was out of stock so I went with oem.
      08-20-2021, 02:09 AM   #140
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Great! I actually have access to that redline DCTF so I'll use that. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 02:16 AM   #141
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Great! I actually have access to that redline DCTF so I'll use that. Thanks
No problem.
      08-22-2021, 09:06 PM   #142
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Just wanted to share what I found that would be pretty close to doing this.

Appreciate 2
      08-30-2021, 06:41 AM   #143
TheHunterHofman
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 Competition (LCII)

I got curious if my 2017 LCI M2 got the correct differential oil and looked it up in the service history. Luckily I found that MSP/A was used (part number 988).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 09:52 AM   #144
blitzyo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C

I'm changing my diff oil at 20k km because my m2c is tracked often. Around 10 track days a year.
Any ideas of Motul Gear Competition SAE 75w140 (GL-5) is fine?
It isn't msp/a, but it says it's above oem standards.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 12:05 PM   #145
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzyo View Post
I'm changing my diff oil at 20k km because my m2c is tracked often. Around 10 track days a year.
If Motul says it is fine, it is fine!
Transfer case is the one that you want OE BMW fluid if xDrive. In DCT I would also stick to OE BMW fluid.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 12:40 PM   #146
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzyo View Post
The only bmw approved motul diff oil for msp/a is MOTUL HYPO SYNT LS. Doesn't look like it's possible to get that in standard quarts. Might be worth calling them to verify if it's the same as the gear comp oil, if you care about warranty.

Edit: tds shows they are different.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 01:34 PM   #147
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Transfer case is the one that you want OE BMW fluid if xDrive. In DCT I would also stick to OE BMW fluid.
The ///M e-diff in the f8x is actually pretty sensitive so I would stick with oem fluids.

For example these diffs early in their life cycle had excessive clutch pack wear issues that were so bad it necessitated a recall and stop of delivery in 2016 for a diff recall. These diffs also demonstrated they were extremely fluid sensitive in certain cases when saf-xj + FM was used (this was the e9x ///M diff oil) the diffs would fail rapidly. So after the recall bmw also changed the stock fluid requirements to msp/a.

So this is why I would only use the OEM fluid for the diff to avoid upsetting this extremely finicky diff, and also because aftermarket fluids don't just cater to bmw's fix m diff. They also make it work with the e9x M diff (which requires alot more friction modifiers and known to be too much for the f8x diff) and diffs from other cars. So honestly it might not be the best idea to use after market diff oils on this car. I know Castrol syntrax limited slip diff was approved on ista, but when I contacted Castrol I was passed through their customer service chain and no one could find bmw approvals and they did tell me they reformulated to a higher spec. So Im also worried that fluids could change and ista always lags behind so you might get a fluid that's now lost approval and incompatible.
blitzyo53.00
edycol1501.50
      09-20-2021, 01:48 PM   #148
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
The ///M e-diff in the f8x is actually pretty sensitive so I would stick with oem fluids.

For example these diffs early in their life cycle had excessive clutch pack wear issues that were so bad it necessitated a recall and stop of delivery in 2016 for a diff recall. These diffs also demonstrated they were extremely fluid sensitive in certain cases when saf-xj + FM was used (this was the e9x ///M diff oil) the diffs would fail rapidly. So after the recall bmw also changed the stock fluid requirements to msp/a.

So this is why I would only use the OEM fluid for the diff to avoid upsetting this extremely finicky diff, and also because aftermarket fluids don't just cater to bmw's fix m diff. They also make it work with the e9x M diff (which requires alot more friction modifiers and known to be too much for the f8x diff) and diffs from other cars. So honestly it might not be the best idea to use after market diff oils on this car. I know Castrol syntrax limited slip diff was approved on ista, but when I contacted Castrol I was passed through their customer service chain and no one could find bmw approvals and they did tell me they reformulated to a higher spec. So Im also worried that fluids could change and ista always lags behind so you might get a fluid that's now lost approval and incompatible.
Hopefully you mean SAF-XO + FM, as the SAF-XJ was designed for LSD so adding FM might not be a Good Idea?

Obvs, if they did as my dealership did and filled the LSD with SAF XO and no FM at the RIS, that 'might' be a Bad Thing...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 02:43 PM   #149
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Hopefully you mean SAF-XO + FM, as the SAF-XJ was designed for LSD so adding FM might not be a Good Idea?

Obvs, if they did as my dealership did and filled the LSD with SAF XO and no FM at the RIS, that 'might' be a Bad Thing...
Nope, I meant exactly what I typed saf-xj +FM. All LSD's need friction modifiers for the clutch packs to engage and disengage properly, without it the diff wouldn't work properly and with incorrect amounts it also wouldn't work properly, and in both cases the clutches would create alot more noise and wear excessively. The only difference from one diff to another is the amount of friction modifiers (FM) required, and the e series required a booster compared to the F series hence the + FM on the oil for the E series diffs.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...rs-83222282583

As far as I know for open difs they don't need friction modifiers at all, because they don't have the clutch packs that need to engage and disengage to control slip. So saf-xo is just standard gear oil. That would be really bad for an LSD in creating excessive wear over time. If you had tracked it I would be certain your diff wouldn't have survived, since track conditions require the LSD to function constantly as you transition from corner to corner and accelerate, also the diff would get insanely hot which doesn't help with wear either.

But yeah you're not the first person I've seen who had saf-xo put in their diff. I just can't believe how incompetent some dealerships are - which is why I check all service sheets and part numbers before I leave the lot.
      09-20-2021, 02:52 PM   #150
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:

Makes sense. Didn't know they are that sensitive. Motul is usually not quick to recommend something just bcs. it might fit. But, if BMW was chasing right fluid for some time, it is best to stay with OE then.
Appreciate 1
F87source7239.50
      09-20-2021, 03:16 PM   #151
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Makes sense. Didn't know they are that sensitive. Motul is usually not quick to recommend something just bcs. it might fit. But, if BMW was chasing right fluid for some time, it is best to stay with OE then.
Yeah I was shocked to see how sensitive it was too. When I was looking for a replacement for the OE fluids after my warranty was done I was looking for an "upgrade" in fluids. Like yeah bmw fluids are generally good quality like the ll01 tpt engine oil, but generally they're over priced and there is still some gains to be had with aftermarket fluids. But when it came to the diff I found out there was a huge weakness with it in regards to fluid sensitivity. I saw ISTA permitted castrol syntrax, so I was pretty set on this fluid since castrol has a pretty good track record for fluids but maybe there would be some gains in fluid performance with this. But when I contacted them not only could they not find bmw approvals they also told me they updated the fluid recently to a higher spec. They also couldn't tell me if the friction modifier package was F8X level or E9X level but there was friction modifiers present and that their old +FM oils were replaced by this single variant of reformulated syntrax. So that pretty much scared me away because if it is suitable for the E9X then maybe there is way too much FM present for the F8X to be happy. Again this is just my though process I do not know if it is 100% true. But since the diff is so sensitive my advice is to stick with OEM fluids as there has been alot of revisions there so bmw is working on improving it. So MSP/A (if you can get it should be available globally) or SAF-XJ (because as far as I know only in the US is MSP/A unavailable).

But in regards to motul, maybe they certified it in early 2014 with the m3/m4 and didn't update anything when the huge recall and fluid changes came in 2016.
      09-20-2021, 03:54 PM   #152
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Nope, I meant exactly what I typed saf-xj +FM. All LSD's need friction modifiers for the clutch packs to engage and disengage properly, without it the diff wouldn't work properly and with incorrect amounts it also wouldn't work properly, and in both cases the clutches would create alot more noise and wear excessively. The only difference from one diff to another is the amount of friction modifiers (FM) required, and the e series required a booster compared to the F series hence the + FM on the oil for the E series diffs.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...rs-83222282583

As far as I know for open difs they don't need friction modifiers at all, because they don't have the clutch packs that need to engage and disengage to control slip. So saf-xo is just standard gear oil. That would be really bad for an LSD in creating excessive wear over time. If you had tracked it I would be certain your diff wouldn't have survived, since track conditions require the LSD to function constantly as you transition from corner to corner and accelerate, also the diff would get insanely hot which doesn't help with wear either.

But yeah you're not the first person I've seen who had saf-xo put in their diff. I just can't believe how incompetent some dealerships are - which is why I check all service sheets and part numbers before I leave the lot.
XJ comes with the FMs - which is why it's for LSDs?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 04:39 PM   #153
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
XJ comes with the FMs - which is why it's for LSDs?
Correct (open diffs don't have clutches that actuate constantly like an LSD so no need for fm in the oil, it also generally doesn't get aso hot so lower weight oil for less drive train loss as well), it comes with a certain amount of friction modifiers which the clutch packs in an LSD require hence making it suitable for the LSD. XJ is also a heavier weight oil vs. conventional open diff oils again making it suitable for LSD's hence why you wouldn't want to run saf-xo on the f8x e-diff, as it's not only too thin but it doesn't have the correct friction modifiers. So it's really a double whammy in terms of excessive wear to your diff gears and clutch packs - especially if you track the car because the e-diff is really in action on the track and it gets hot AF and with a thinner oil like xo and the lack of FM I'm sure the diff would blow out rapidly.

Now the difference between LSD oils tend to be the amount of FM added, with the e9x it needed alot of FM or else there would be clunking or loud noises coming from the diff. So that's why saf-xj + FM exists, so it could have that extra booster of FM needed for the e9x. Some LSD's have more tolerant clutch materials making it able to tolerate a wide range of FM's without having issues like the GTR but some LSD's like the f8x e-diff blow up easily with the wrong fluid. So it's probably a better bet to stay oem diff oil with this car.

Manual transmission seems to be fine (reported to be even another with redline dctf) with different aftermarket gear oils though so that's a plus. With a dct I don't know, so do your research carefully.
      09-20-2021, 05:21 PM   #154
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Good recovery...
Appreciate 0