BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > How to disable burbles?

01-27-2021, 08:11 AM   #243
kimbow
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition 2020

AK Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
It's been confirmed by a few owners: installing the Burkhart AK motion allows you to disable the burbles on deceleration...see post #41 above
Yep, I've had one fitted. You can turn off burbles and also bypass the OPF to enable different centre pipes to be fitted and use delete R so you can fit catless downpipes as well. All by checking or unchecking the tick boxes on the Data Display screen. Fabulous bit of kit!

Update, delete r doesnt work on this system with later encrypted DME, it will still throw EML light with catless downpipes. Need to fit O2 sensor spacers as cant code out lambdas.

Last edited by kimbow; 02-17-2021 at 03:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 11:21 AM   #244
mrdstr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 12 X5d

Garage List
Just wanted to add my impression of disabling via bimmerlink. Process is extremely quick as described above. Connect, press sound package, switch off. Done. I have the AA full signature exhaust. Having the sound package off eliminates all of the off throttle overrun burbles and significantly reduces the flatulent sound during the lift required for manual shifts under hard acceleration. Much happier with the everyday experience and the process to revert is so quick and easy I can't see a reason not to do it if the sound erks you.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 12:05 PM   #245
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Now if we could just figure out how to stop the LOUD cold start that would be awesome!
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2021, 07:26 AM   #246
Finz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 M Coupe, MY20 M2C ED Sept

Garage List
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdstr View Post
Just wanted to add my impression of disabling via bimmerlink. Process is extremely quick as described above. Connect, press sound package, switch off. Done. I have the AA full signature exhaust. Having the sound package off eliminates all of the off throttle overrun burbles and significantly reduces the flatulent sound during the lift required for manual shifts under hard acceleration. Much happier with the everyday experience and the process to revert is so quick and easy I can't see a reason not to do it if the sound erks you.
I just did the BimmerLink Sound Off feature on my M2C after installing the AA EL midpipe, and totally agree with your assessment. I am now much happier with my car.
      02-17-2021, 04:04 AM   #247
kimbow
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition 2020

LOUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Now if we could just figure out how to stop the LOUD cold start that would be awesome!
Agreed, with the full Akra and downpipes I have to hide my face when starting the car after filling up with fuel, it is so noisy everyone looks expecting to see some chav in a corsa with a dustbin for an exhaust....except they see a pensioner in an M2C
Appreciate 3
robertm449.50
SCCThree813.00
      02-17-2021, 04:31 PM   #248
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finz View Post
I just did the BimmerLink Sound Off feature on my M2C after installing the AA EL midpipe, and totally agree with your assessment. I am now much happier with my car.

You have AA EL midpipe non-resonated paired with stock muffler & downpipes. Right?

Do you have a sound clip after you’ve disabled the burbles?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 08:54 AM   #249
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C_OZ View Post
I'd say get a prius
How is this zero-value post the highest appreciated in the thread? Fake obnoxious burbles are a fad, one that is already ending. FYI everyone on the street, if they weren't startled by the sounds of the gunshots, thinks your car is broken.

On my M2 I disabled with BM3. Since that's out with the new DME lock, I am very curious to hear what people come up with. Definitely one of the first mods I would do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcore View Post
Any issue with warranty status if you disable burbles? I'm not interested in power-adders while under warranty, I just don't want it to sound like this new car has a backfiring problem (which these burbles "are", IMO). Also seems like a waste of fuel for the sake of annoying people outside of the car, as it does not appear to be an actual antilag.
If you are just using coding (sounds like that's what the module proposed does) then no, you're good. FWIW burbles add zero power, sound bad, and use a bit of additional fuel. I say coding because I don't know what the Ak-motion would be accessing otherwise. On that front the costly display is probably not necessary either and this should be able to be done with software.

Last edited by stefan; 03-05-2021 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2021, 09:07 AM   #250
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

My only real issue with the burbles is that they are so predictable and always the same. Let off the gas 5 times in a row and you get the same result every time. If I do get annoyed I just pop it in sport and it way less “in your face”
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 06:23 AM   #251
LuNguyen
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I've been driving without the burbles for a good two weeks now. I do occasionally miss the crackles on over run but I'm enjoying being able to use Sports plus mode all the time now without feeling like the car is too annoying to others (no OPF, Akra slip on)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 07:02 PM   #252
AZ-Wildcat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW HS M2C DCT

Just pulled the trigger on the BimmerLink app and turned off the burbles. It's like I'm a sophisticated adult again! It was pretty obnoxious with the Remus sport and AA mid in parking structures and neighborhoods. Very happy with this "mod" and took all of 8 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 02:55 PM   #253
M2COD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Wildcat View Post
Just pulled the trigger on the BimmerLink app and turned off the burbles. It's like I'm a sophisticated adult again! It was pretty obnoxious with the Remus sport and AA mid in parking structures and neighborhoods. Very happy with this "mod" and took all of 8 seconds.
Same. Just turned them off on my AA full system with EL midpipes and it's perfect now. You still get a pop when on the throttle and shifting, but just a nice roar without the gunfire.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2021, 04:06 PM   #254
ESB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2COD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Wildcat View Post
Same. Just turned them off on my AA full system with EL midpipes and it's perfect now. You still get a pop when on the throttle and shifting, but just a nice roar without the gunfire.
Yeah I'm glad the upshift sounds didn't get removed!!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 01:27 PM   #255
DuckCoverRoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 (comp)

Hi all - does anyone know how, mechanically, Bimmerlink disables the burbles/ pops via its Sound Tuning setting? Does it alter the engine/ fuel injector, for example, and if so how will it affect the engine in the long run? I'm concerned primarily for warranty purposes - it would be nice to turn off this feature but probably not at the expense of engine / warranty issues. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 12:22 PM   #256
Em2c
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Thanks for this thread and requesting the feature. My exhaust is all stock and I just disabled the burbles ("Sound Tuning") and was surprised how much more enjoyable the drive is now.
I was very rarely ever using Sport+ mainly just due to the obnoxious burbles every time you let off the throttle. Both Sport and Sport+ have a much nicer sound for me now.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 12:44 PM   #257
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

The only option is fully on or off correct?
There's no way to adjust the volume or intensity? I just want a little burble after a certain RPM
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 08:29 PM   #258
CKr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
The only option is fully on or off correct?
There's no way to adjust the volume or intensity? I just want a little burble after a certain RPM
That's correct, you can only turn burbles off or on, with no finer grained control.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 06:22 PM   #259
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckCoverRoll View Post
Hi all - does anyone know how, mechanically, Bimmerlink disables the burbles/ pops via its Sound Tuning setting? Does it alter the engine/ fuel injector, for example, and if so how will it affect the engine in the long run? I'm concerned primarily for warranty purposes - it would be nice to turn off this feature but probably not at the expense of engine / warranty issues. thanks!
It just turns off a switch that BMW prebuilt into the ecu software. It's part of the normal BMW diag tools and you can do it with an enet cable and windows software as well.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2023, 01:47 PM   #260
Chris N
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2c

Thank you all for the push to get this feature to turn off the burbbles and voicing the process here on the forum. Just did it and love it!
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2023, 12:19 PM   #261
kosti365
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
On my M2 I disabled with BM3. Since that's out with the new DME lock, I am very curious to hear what people come up with. Definitely one of the first mods I would do.
I was able to do with with BM3 and I don't even have a license. I was on the fence about burbles but after installing an EL midpipe, they were just way too much from INSIDE the car, imagine outside.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 08:28 PM   #262
Cboy
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 AW F87 ZCP

2019 M2C with Stock Downpipes, EL Midpipe Resonated and OEM muffler.

I recently turned off burbles with BM3. like the cleaner sound, but did anyone else notice the whole exhaust note seems to get much quieter? is this just in my head? I feel like it got quieter overall....

Last edited by Cboy; 10-04-2023 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 09:44 AM   #263
fourthchirpin
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C, VW GTI 3.6, Infiniti G25x

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
First i've heard of it. So you're saying the burbles will help the turbo spool on deceleration? I've tried with and without burbles and i feel no difference but didn't do that little example you mentioned.
burbles basically an anti-lag feature from the factory. I think its excessive and not needed. Usually you only see rallye cars with anti-lag.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 02:29 PM   #264
MarlboroM2C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
  [10.00]
2021 BMW  [10.00]
To each their own. I like the burbles. Then again, I think that my '21 M2C stock exhaust and M Drivers pkg, sounds just right and pretty aggressive.
I'd be reluctant to mess with the DME if your dealing with warranty and some of these dealer services. When warranty is up, go for it.