BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Bimmerworld fuel starvation fix kit initial impressions

04-05-2024, 11:44 PM   #23
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Yeah I agree, I've seen it since early 2016 iirc and was talking to fuel it about potentially integrating it on our car but I don't remember why they didn't ever do it.

But I do suspect a few issues of trying to run this:

1) our fuel pump is on one side of the tank, this means you have to run one really long hydramat to get to the other side of the tank. I don't think they sell a version where the pump connector is far enough to one side that it'll fit in the tank without curling up all over the place where the fuel pump sits. Since these things are either sold as a Tee or a really long rectangle with the pump in the middle (meaning alot of excess on one side).

2) I don't know if they sell a hydra mat long enough to even fit our massive fuel tanks, these are more for small square race fuel cells.

3) we will have to get rid of our bucket for the LPFP to make this work. So that'll require a bit of work but probably not too bad. I'm not sure how the jet pump will be retained either with this hydra mat.

4) I don't know if this hydra mat allows enough fuel flow when sucking fuel from across the tank, and partially exposed to air.

There's a lot of unknowns but hopefully someone in the m2 community takes a gamble and tries it out.

I think a new fuel line could be connected from the hydramat to the pump, and inserted into the left side of the tank.

Appreciate 1
F87source7294.00
      04-05-2024, 11:50 PM   #24
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track/S View Post
I think a new fuel line could be connected from the hydramat to the pump, and inserted into the left side of the tank.

Yeah that could be a possibility, and a better idea than what I was planning - which was to try and find a hydramat that spans the entire tank (not possible because the longest hydra mat is ~30").

So having it connected to the jet/fuel transfer "pump" is a much better idea.
Track/S1391.50
      04-06-2024, 09:41 AM   #25
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Yeah that could be a possibility, and a better idea than what I was planning - which was to try and find a hydramat that spans the entire tank (not possible because the longest hydra mat is ~30").

So having it connected to the jet/fuel transfer "pump" is a much better idea.
Let me know if you guys figure this out. My Stage 2.5v2 pump with bulkhead wiring and Dinan LPFP like mod arrived yesterday: https://precisionraceworks.com/produ...-n55-fuel-pump

Pump will be installed in a couple weeks after johnung assists me with a ET3 Stage 2 EKP install, and looks like may be able to drop in some hydramat and a line while swapping the pump?

Last edited by ZM2; 04-06-2024 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 11:50 AM   #26
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Quote:
Yeah I agree, I've seen it since early 2016 iirc and was talking to fuel it about potentially integrating it on our car but I don't remember why they didn't ever do it.

But I do suspect a few issues of trying to run this:

1) our fuel pump is on one side of the tank, this means you have to run one really long hydramat to get to the other side of the tank. I don't think they sell a version where the pump connector is far enough to one side that it'll fit in the tank without curling up all over the place where the fuel pump sits. Since these things are either sold as a Tee or a really long rectangle with the pump in the middle (meaning alot of excess on one side).

2) I don't know if they sell a hydra mat long enough to even fit our massive fuel tanks, these are more for small square race fuel cells.

3) we will have to get rid of our bucket for the LPFP to make this work. So that'll require a bit of work but probably not too bad. I'm not sure how the jet pump will be retained either with this hydra mat.

4) I don't know if this hydra mat allows enough fuel flow when sucking fuel from across the tank, and partially exposed to air.

There's a lot of unknowns but hopefully someone in the m2 community takes a gamble and tries it out.
This is a project I posted over on the F80 forum. I have a secondary lift pump dedicated to pulling fuel from the driver side to the passenger side via a remote hydramat. That along with the enlarged custom bucket, additional fuel pick up points, and a higher flowing venturi for the jet setup has been working wonders.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=110
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 2
F87source7294.00
GenXG87180.00
      04-08-2024, 04:50 PM   #27
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Let me know if you guys figure this out. My Stage 2.5v2 pump with bulkhead wiring and Dinan LPFP like mod arrived yesterday: https://precisionraceworks.com/produ...-n55-fuel-pump

Pump will be installed in a couple weeks after johnung assists me with a ET3 Stage 2 EKP install, and looks like may be able to drop in some hydramat and a line while swapping the pump?
I don't know if you could just drop in a hydramat for a few reasons:

1) where would it attach to the stock lpfp design?

2) you can't find one long enough to span the entire tank, and the larger ones are already insanely expensive (iirc $800).

3) if you wanted to attach it to the jet pump so it could more effectively suck fuel from the driver side, I'm not sure if the jet pump has enough suction to do it or if it could be connected to that hose.

There's a lot of unknowns so. Not sure if you want to waste money trying. Plus you need to bench test anything you try first, if you just bolt it together and drop it into the tank there may be a chance it does nothing and you won't even know about it.
johnung4531.00
      04-08-2024, 05:10 PM   #28
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I don't know if you could just drop in a hydramat for a few reasons:

1) where would it attach to the stock lpfp design?

2) you can't find one long enough to span the entire tank, and the larger ones are already insanely expensive (iirc $800).

3) if you wanted to attach it to the jet pump so it could more effectively suck fuel from the driver side, I'm not sure if the jet pump has enough suction to do it or if it could be connected to that hose.

There's a lot of unknowns so. Not sure if you want to waste money trying. Plus you need to bench test anything you try first, if you just bolt it together and drop it into the tank there may be a chance it does nothing and you won't even know about it.
Yeah, Precision Raceworks said it wouldn’t work unless there was a second pump and everything was configured to work correctly. They did speak highly of hydramat, tho.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 06:22 PM   #29
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Yeah, Precision Raceworks said it wouldn’t work unless there was a second pump and everything was configured to work correctly. They did speak highly of hydramat, tho.
Yeah that's unfortunate, maybe you can try edios's setup
      04-08-2024, 06:23 PM   #30
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
This is a project I posted over on the F80 forum. I have a secondary lift pump dedicated to pulling fuel from the driver side to the passenger side via a remote hydramat. That along with the enlarged custom bucket, additional fuel pick up points, and a higher flowing venturi for the jet setup has been working wonders.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=110
Very interesting. But my main question is how are you cooling all 700whp that your m2 is making?
      04-08-2024, 06:36 PM   #31
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Very interesting. But my main question is how are you cooling all 700whp that your m2 is making?
I don't track at 700whp. That map is more for straight line/airstrip fun. My road course map is probably in the low 500's on full E85.

The summer season is also the off season for me since the high ambient temps get pretty miserable and obviously don't help with the cooling situation.

Out of precaution I do a cooldown lap every 2-3 laps to keep all the components and tires happy. In addition, by being 6MT there's no trans cooler blocking all of the valuable air going to the radiator above the intercooler.

With all of the above I've never encountered any coolant temp warnings and don't notice any significant power being pulled.

I am toying with redoing the entire cooling setup, but I don't have the bandwidth right now since I'm juggling a few other projects.
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 1
F87source7294.00
      04-08-2024, 06:43 PM   #32
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
I don't track at 700whp. That map is more for straight line/airstrip fun. My road course map is probably in the low 500's on full E85.

The summer season is also the off season for me since the high ambient temps get pretty miserable and obviously don't help with the cooling situation.

Out of precaution I do a cooldown lap every 2-3 laps to keep all the components and tires happy. In addition, by being 6MT there's no trans cooler blocking all of the valuable air going to the radiator above the intercooler.

With all of the above I've never encountered any coolant temp warnings and don't notice any significant power being pulled.

I am toying with redoing the entire cooling setup, but I don't have the bandwidth right now since I'm juggling a few other projects.
I see, imo I dont like the idea of having to slow down every few laps. A track car should be able to push hard from session start to session stop.

Anyways, I hope you'll be able to work on a cooling setup eventually, I know the OG m2 community badly needs one. IMO I think the solution is as easy as making an intercooler that sits fully infront of the radiator (like the ER or ARM) with end tanks wide enough that a full length s55 radiator can slot down behind it. That will give us the surface area and volume we desperately need.
      04-08-2024, 06:48 PM   #33
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
I see, imo I dont like the idea of having to slow down every few laps. A track car should be able to push hard from session start to session stop.

Anyways, I hope you'll be able to work on a cooling setup eventually, I know the OG m2 community badly needs one. IMO I think the solution is as easy as making an intercooler that sits fully infront of the radiator (like the ER or ARM) with end tanks wide enough that a full length s55 radiator can slot down behind it. That will give us the surface area and volume we desperately need.
It all depends on your goals. If you're chasing times on 200TW tires, you generally only have that magic lap or two before things fall off.

Let's not derail this thread. We can discuss on the other cooling thread! I'm all for platform development.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 02:19 PM   #34
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Got the Precision Raceworks Stg 2.5v2 535 pump with bulkhead connectors (for ET3 EKP direct wiring with johnung help) and Dinan like mod (only $50 more!). See pics.

The PR LPFP mod def looks more robust than the Dinan setup (last pic) that has rubber hoses (not a good thing with E50!).

You’ll note that Dinan and PR split different lines in the pics, but PR says it doesn’t matter and they use their fitting on top of the pump for the split.

I also added a couple pics of the hole you all were thinking for the hydramat, even tho PR said they don’t think that would work. IDK what’s up with the pic orientation!

Overall, seems like a great drop in fit install approach to increase fuel flow and help with lateral G’s.
Attached Images

Last edited by ZM2; 04-09-2024 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 2
GenXG87180.00
F87source7294.00