BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > What can I tell my shop to specifically do prior to tinting?

08-24-2020, 08:01 AM   #1
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

What can I tell my shop to specifically do prior to tinting?

I was all set to get my car tinted but decided to search the forums first and stumbled upon wet amp issue. The shop I plan to use is a highly regarded one but I'm not sure how many M2's they have done and if the amp issue is specific to the M2 or if the M3/4 suffer the same issue.

Is there anything I should specifically warn or ask them to do prior to tinting?
And just to confirm, factory coupes do not come with any sort of default tint right?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 09:04 AM   #2
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

No colors on the M2 windows from the factory.
I told the installer about the amp, and I believe he covered it up with a towel prior to tinting.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 09:45 AM   #3
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
No colors on the M2 windows from the factory.
I told the installer about the amp, and I believe he covered it up with a towel prior to tinting.
Thanks for this. I told them the same but they mentioned that they normally cover the inside interior but that they will pay attention to it.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 11:42 AM   #4
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
And just to confirm, factory coupes do not come with any sort of default tint right?
Technically there is "some" factory VLT% (I think between 85%-95%). I put a 30%VLT film on all the side and rear windows and once installed on the BMW it metered to 22% combined.

Check the stamp on the bottom righht of the windshield too, my Windshield actually has a stamp from the factory that says "70% VLT" stamp on it which is quite a bit from factory.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #5
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv View Post
Quote:
Technically there is "some" factory VLT% (I think between 85%-95%). I put a 30%VLT film on all the side and rear windows and once installed on the BMW it metered to 22% combined.

Check the stamp on the bottom righht of the windshield too, my Windshield actually has a stamp from the factory that says "70% VLT" stamp on it which is quite a bit from factory.
Really? 70%.
Hmm I decided to go with 35% but that's the level I want in the end, not with any additional tint.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 05:21 AM   #6
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ah, it says 70% min transparency. Either way i believe my windshield (prior to tinting) metered out at 85%-90% so a tiny bit of sun blocking there.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 08:43 AM   #7
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I'd just pull the Amp out before you take it in. It's not difficult to remove and you save yourself a headache later on.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 09:11 AM   #8
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
I'd just pull the Amp out before you take it in. It's not difficult to remove and you save yourself a headache later on.
So there's the 2 amps by the side windows. I remember reading something about the trunk also
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #9
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv View Post

Ah, it says 70% min transparency. Either way i believe my windshield (prior to tinting) metered out at 85%-90% so a tiny bit of sun blocking there.
So if there is a low level of "tint" from factory, going with 35% will actually be darker than 35%
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #10
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
I was all set to get my car tinted but decided to search the forums first and stumbled upon wet amp issue. The shop I plan to use is a highly regarded one but I'm not sure how many M2's they have done and if the amp issue is specific to the M2 or if the M3/4 suffer the same issue.

Is there anything I should specifically warn or ask them to do prior to tinting?
It's a legitimate issue, but I'm not sure how prevalent it is. Some issues appear more common on the forums than real life in my opinion.

I knew about it, but didn't feel like bothering to remove the trunk liner and placing towels. So I mentioned it to the shop (was also doing PPF) and they said they had done a number of M2s and never had any issues. No problem with mine. Perhaps different shops use varying amounts of fluid. My detail shop catered to the high end (many 6 figure cars), M2 was one of the cheapest there that day, so I trusted them more than a regular tint shop.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 11:18 AM   #11
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Quote:

It's a legitimate issue, but I'm not sure how prevalent it is. Some issues appear more common on the forums than real life in my opinion.

I knew about it, but didn't feel like bothering to remove the trunk liner and placing towels. So I mentioned it to the shop (was also doing PPF) and they said they had done a number of M2s and never had any issues. No problem with mine. Perhaps different shops use varying amounts of fluid. My detail shop catered to the high end (many 6 figure cars), M2 was one of the cheapest there that day, so I trusted them more than a regular tint shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Quote:

That's how I feel. My car will be on the cheap side compared to what they normally work with. I'll mention it to them, ask them to protect what they can and see what happens.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 02:50 PM   #12
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So if there is a low level of "tint" from factory, going with 35% will actually be darker than 35%
That is correct. For our cars, at least for the side windows, i'd subtract 8% from the VLT% shown in the tint spec sheet (Spec sheet can be found online or call the tint installer and ask for the VLT% -- Example 3M Ceramic 25 is actually 30% VLT film, despite it saying 25 after the model number). So a 35% VLT tint film will meter to around 27%. Even at 27% it's still not blacked out dark and will look good.

Tint shops also have meters. You can ask them to meter your stock window as well.

Last edited by StarMan; 08-25-2020 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0