BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C high flow cats

10-04-2023, 02:06 PM   #1
ctgilles
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C

Arrow M2C high flow cats

Hi guys,

Searched the forums but I couldn't find any good info for us Europeans. So here's my story

I had installed the VRSF catless downpipe 4 months ago, but combination with my AA equal lenght midpipe gave a metal rasp in the 1600-2400 RPM range. It really sounded like shit, like something was loose or vibrating even with the flaps closed and with almost no engine load. It sounded like something was wrong, like some cheap tuning box, a sound unworthy of the M2C...

The second problem was the smell, like eggs? Sulfur-like? I couldn't keep my windows down when stationary and my garage kept smelling bad because of the fumes And when driving spirited, it's like I saw the smoke coming out in my rear view mirror.

Needless to say I was very disappointed and had my OEM cats put back - and also reverted to stage 1. I could feel that the immediate response was lost too so I wanted a solution... But all high flow cats are expensive here in Europe (€2.000 or 3.000 depending on the brand) And that's too much for 25hp. I searched all over these forums but was unable to find a cheaper solution. US shops were not an option due to shipping costs and import duties.

Then I accidentally stumbled over 200 cell high flow cats sold by a shop in Holland, couldn't find a review, didn't know the brand "DCE Parts" but the price was excellent around €1.000 which is not a lot of difference with the VRSF catless. Bit the bullet and decided to be the test dummy for you guys

So here's the review for anyone else with this question.

Parts were well packed. Didn't know the brand before but the welds are clean and the overall feel and quality seem good. The fitment was perfect ... so I am becoming more and more hopeful that this is real quality at a bargain price Reverted my bootmod3 to stage 2 and all seems well Will do more testing in the coming week.

Slight gas smell with cold cats, but actually like gas and not like rotten eggs Disappears immediately after warm-up.

I would say the metal rasp has dissappeared 90-95% and only a short RPM range and under real load. When driving normally, it's practically not there, don't really notice anything. So happy

With EL midpipe and stock box, closed flaps: like OEM. Under sport: louder, but not the obnoxiously loud I had with the catless (I even reverted to efficiency when in town because even when cruising there was so much noise ... too much for the speed I was cruising at +- 10 mph)

Will keep on writing my findings as I use the car more and more. I have a dyno booked in beginning of November, so I will have a 1:1 comparison with Stage 2 and VRSF catless. I want to know if it's the same power or restricting, will post my findings

I hope that this helps anyone looking for a high flow cat in Europe that doesn't cost an arm and a leg Not every downpipe is the same so anyone doubtful of quality now knows.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 03:33 PM   #2
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Those welds look like they were done on a machine, they are perfect. Form the sound of it, you definitely got a great bang for the buck.

For reference, I have Wagner 200 cell DP's as they are known for their quality. The welds on the Wagner definitely look like human performed. The Wagner has zero smell and are just a bit louder. I am happy with them, but of course would have liked to spend less...

10-09-2023, 05:03 PM   #3
AllEyesOnMe
TeQuiero
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Congrats! Sounds like either it's the 200 cel that gets rid of the metallic sound or that specific brand of HFC. I also have AA EL with non-res and have heard of the horrific metallic rasp from cats, so this may change my mind!
      10-09-2023, 07:29 PM   #4
fourthchirpin
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C, VW GTI 3.6, Infiniti G25x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgilles View Post
Hi guys,

Searched the forums but I couldn't find any good info for us Europeans. So here's my story

I had installed the VRSF catless downpipe 4 months ago, but combination with my AA equal lenght midpipe gave a metal rasp in the 1600-2400 RPM range. It really sounded like shit, like something was loose or vibrating even with the flaps closed and with almost no engine load. It sounded like something was wrong, like some cheap tuning box, a sound unworthy of the M2C...

The second problem was the smell, like eggs? Sulfur-like? I couldn't keep my windows down when stationary and my garage kept smelling bad because of the fumes And when driving spirited, it's like I saw the smoke coming out in my rear view mirror.

Needless to say I was very disappointed and had my OEM cats put back - and also reverted to stage 1. I could feel that the immediate response was lost too so I wanted a solution... But all high flow cats are expensive here in Europe (€2.000 or 3.000 depending on the brand) And that's too much for 25hp. I searched all over these forums but was unable to find a cheaper solution. US shops were not an option due to shipping costs and import duties.

Then I accidentally stumbled over 200 cell high flow cats sold by a shop in Holland, couldn't find a review, didn't know the brand "DCE Parts" but the price was excellent around €1.000 which is not a lot of difference with the VRSF catless. Bit the bullet and decided to be the test dummy for you guys

So here's the review for anyone else with this question.

Parts were well packed. Didn't know the brand before but the welds are clean and the overall feel and quality seem good. The fitment was perfect ... so I am becoming more and more hopeful that this is real quality at a bargain price Reverted my bootmod3 to stage 2 and all seems well Will do more testing in the coming week.

Slight gas smell with cold cats, but actually like gas and not like rotten eggs Disappears immediately after warm-up.

I would say the metal rasp has dissappeared 90-95% and only a short RPM range and under real load. When driving normally, it's practically not there, don't really notice anything. So happy

With EL midpipe and stock box, closed flaps: like OEM. Under sport: louder, but not the obnoxiously loud I had with the catless (I even reverted to efficiency when in town because even when cruising there was so much noise ... too much for the speed I was cruising at +- 10 mph)

Will keep on writing my findings as I use the car more and more. I have a dyno booked in beginning of November, so I will have a 1:1 comparison with Stage 2 and VRSF catless. I want to know if it's the same power or restricting, will post my findings

I hope that this helps anyone looking for a high flow cat in Europe that doesn't cost an arm and a leg Not every downpipe is the same so anyone doubtful of quality now knows.
did you get a CEL?
Appreciate 0