BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Diff oil leak, how serious?

10-24-2023, 01:09 PM   #1
timchump
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 OG -> M2 Comp

Diff oil leak, how serious?

Hi

Im a new M2 comp owner.
Purchased second hand from a BMW dealer, with a 1 year warranty.
A week after getting the car a local mechanic noticed there was evidence of an oil leak on the rear differential driver side output shaft.

So I took it to BMW to have a look at, in the hope as it’s under warranty they would just fix it.

BMW identified there was evidence of a leak, they cleaned it up took it for a test drive and said there was no further evidence of a leak.

They made the excuse in my opinion, that maybe on the last service the plug hadn’t be secured tightly.
But I should monitor it and they offered to check again in 6 weeks time

Speaking to a local mechanic, Apparently it’s common issue
I believe I do have a leak but it’s minor, no drips at the moment probably just a seep, but I do want BMW to fix it as I’m under warranty.
they seem reluctant…..

Appreciate any thoughts on how serious i should take this issue and any tips on making bmw repair it under warranty
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2023, 04:36 PM   #2
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Very. The point of the warranty is for them to pay not you. If it’s leaking, it’s leaking. Press them to fix it or get left holding the bag when it gets worse exactly 2 days after your warranty expires.

Clocks ticking boss. Go get em.

How? Press the issue. It leaked. They validated that to be fact. Press them to fix root cause. Don’t just go away with their hand waiving. Be a pain in their ass, while being polite of course. Good luck.
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
      10-24-2023, 04:58 PM   #3
timchump
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 OG -> M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
Very. The point of the warranty is for them to pay not you. If it’s leaking, it’s leaking. Press them to fix it or get left holding the bag when it gets worse exactly 2 days after your warranty expires.

Clocks ticking boss. Go get em.

How? Press the issue. It leaked. They validated that to be fact. Press them to fix root cause. Don’t just go away with their hand waiving. Be a pain in their ass, while being polite of course. Good luck.
Thanks the reply I have a years warranty and they did say this was stage 1 as in they have cleaned the outer diff casing of oil and if it comes back they will move to stage 2

But their original diagnosis they said there was a leak and they put a repair cost next to it, as an advisory, so I have a feeling they’d have no problem fixing it if there and then I had paid

when they realised it’s under warranty there is now a long drawn out process….
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 05:04 PM   #4
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Keep an eye on it and the moment you see evidence of it returning move them along to step 2, fixing root cause.

Preferably before warranty expires as once it’s does you’re shit out of luck.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2023, 10:27 PM   #5
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
Definitely keep a close eye on it. This happened on my vehicle prior to purchase. The right rear seal failed. If the seal is leaking and your vehicle is under warranty, there is no reason why it shouldn't be covered.