09-26-2019, 02:03 PM   #89
FlyingLow78
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by backmotor View Post
I got tired of make-shifting some brake cooling ducting and finally dove in the rabbit hole! I found a set of M4-GT4 brake ducts from a racing friend of mine and decided to make it work on my M2. It took some work, taking off the front bumper cover and all related shields, etc. plus modifying a few areas to get the duct through, but I think I have some decent brake cooling now.
It consists of a 2.5" hose from the front of the nose with the M4 scoop, and a 3" hose from a scoop under the A-arm. The GT4 backing plate replaces the stock shield, is carbon fiber, and has provisions for both the 3" and the 2.5" hose. The scoop is plastic and is one I had lying around, not part of the GT4 setup. I did cut out the bumper cover to fit the GT4 small scoops for the 2.5" hose, but I'll get over it. The M4 nose is not exactly the same shape as the M2 nose, but I think it looks OK and it works.
All this is after I gave up on the stock M2 brakes and went to AP calipers and rotors.
Just thought it might be of interest to some of you guys.
This is the kind of cooling I want. I have AP fronts as well, but none of the cooling solutions seem effective enough to survive at Monza.

Any idea where I could at least find scoops like you have connected to your lower arms? I’m not willing to cut my bumper just yet. Snaking the cooling hose through the narrow gaps between the body brackets and the various radiators doesn’t sound like fun, either. I’ve already spent a lot of time looking around the area inside the wheel arches trying to find a path for the cooling hoses, and everything is a compromise.

Did the M4 rotor backing plates fit correctly on the 372mm rotors?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 06:40 PM   #90
backmotor
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral gray M2 DCT

Garage List
I found the scoops at a place called N.E.R.P. LLC in South Bend, Indiana. They are for a Mini Cooper V2. Phone 574.303.6377. (sales@NERP.BIZ).
The opening is about 2" x 6", and is for a 2.5" hose, part number MPOOLSOZN, and was priced at $45 USD each.

The M4 backing plate fit the M2 perfectly, but they were rather pricey.

If I were going to do this again, I would just use this with a 2.5" hose. I would cut a 2.5" hole in the stock backing protection plate and rivet a 2.5" aluminum flange to it. Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Co. has all kinds of flanges for 1" to 3" hoses. 2.5" flange was about $10.00 USD each. Their phone number is 877.477.7823.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 09:02 AM   #91
M2MGM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backmotor View Post
I found the scoops at a place called N.E.R.P. LLC in South Bend, Indiana. They are for a Mini Cooper V2. Phone 574.303.6377. (sales@NERP.BIZ).
The opening is about 2" x 6", and is for a 2.5" hose, part number MPOOLSOZN, and was priced at $45 USD each.

The M4 backing plate fit the M2 perfectly, but they were rather pricey.

If I were going to do this again, I would just use this with a 2.5" hose. I would cut a 2.5" hole in the stock backing protection plate and rivet a 2.5" aluminum flange to it. Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Co. has all kinds of flanges for 1" to 3" hoses. 2.5" flange was about $10.00 USD each. Their phone number is 877.477.7823.

Hope this helps.
Good stuff ! Thanks for sharing.

Have any pics of the ducts ?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 12:47 PM   #92
backmotor
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Try this:

https://new.minimania.com/part/NMB40...Mini-Cooper--S
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #93
FlyingLow78
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

I found some slick 3D printer designs for brake scoops elsewhere on here and will be fabricating them at work starting tomorrow. Total cost for materials should be less than ten bucks.

Im going to also be doing some testing with the Porsche scoops to evaluate airflow to the brake rotor, including the use of two GoPro cameras. If I decide to use them, I will try to capture relevant temperature data as well.

I normally hang out in the F80 subforums, but you guys & girls are a step ahead with the cooling developments.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #94
FlyingLow78
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Double post

Last edited by FlyingLow78; 10-05-2019 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 02:59 PM   #95
FlyingLow78
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Triple post

Last edited by FlyingLow78; 10-05-2019 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 08:56 AM   #96
Megator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Could u pls share said designs with us that have 3D printers?

I have to say the OEM brakes are pretty decent with aftermarket pads.

I want to make some modified brake shields, have all the parts but no time
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 12:31 PM   #97
backmotor
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Keep in mind, the air quality under the car is not as good as the high pressure air at the front of the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 07:19 AM   #98
FlyingLow78
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

OK, so I did some airflow observations with a normal wheel well and then the Porsche ducts installed to observe the difference.

As you would expect, there is a lot of turbulent air in the wheel well. I taped bits of yarn to the control arms so I could observe the airflow and they get thrashed around pretty good. At low speed there appears to be a suction effect near the tire's leading edge, but it dissipates quickly as you go faster. There is also a channel of slightly more laminar flow running out from the radiator and along the interior edge of the wheel well (maybe because of the Coanda effect). The yarn in this area definitely followed the curvature of the wall, even with the Porsche duct installed.

I then installed a Porsche air deflector with bits of yarn attached. The video clearly shows the air being collected and very little spilling over the top. The spillage is mostly along the inner edge where the radiator outflow is and a bit over the top. The last photo shows the yarn pointing in the general direction of the flow observed in the video.

Because of the hub carrier shape, I recommend heating and curving the tip of the deflector to allow a little more "scoop" action and for clearance. I see some of you have already done that, though.

My next test will involve modifying the backing plates with some 2.5" flanges to accept hoses from the LCA scoops I had 3D printed. I can't really observe them working with yarn in the airstream, though.

Megator The scoops are here, courtesy of MagnusT

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3566812

Any ideas how I can objectively compare the cooling effects between the Porsche scoops and the 3D printed ducts?

So far, my only idea is to go on a deserted portion of the autostrada at night with one cooling solution on each front corner and Go Pro cameras mounted in the wheel wells. I can get the brakes really hot and sync the videos to see which rotor cools more quickly.
Appreciate 1
DrKevM51626.00

10-05-2019, 07:49 PM   #99
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
OK, so I did some airflow observations with a normal wheel well and then the Porsche ducts installed to observe the difference.

As you would expect, there is a lot of turbulent air in the wheel well. I taped bits of yarn to the control arms so I could observe the airflow and they get thrashed around pretty good. At low speed there appears to be a suction effect near the tire's leading edge, but it dissipates quickly as you go faster. There is also a channel of slightly more laminar flow running out from the radiator and along the interior edge of the wheel well (maybe because of the Coanda effect). The yarn in this area definitely followed the curvature of the wall, even with the Porsche duct installed.

I then installed a Porsche air deflector with bits of yarn attached. The video clearly shows the air being collected and very little spilling over the top. The spillage is mostly along the inner edge where the radiator outflow is and a bit over the top. The last photo shows the yarn pointing in the general direction of the flow observed in the video.

Because of the hub carrier shape, I recommend heating and curving the tip of the deflector to allow a little more "scoop" action and for clearance. I see some of you have already done that, though.

My next test will involve modifying the backing plates with some 2.5" flanges to accept hoses from the LCA scoops I had 3D printed. I can't really observe them working with yarn in the airstream, though.

Megator The scoops are here, courtesy of MagnusT

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3566812

Any ideas how I can objectively compare the cooling effects between the Porsche scoops and the 3D printed ducts?

So far, my only idea is to go on a deserted portion of the autostrada at night with one cooling solution on each front corner and Go Pro cameras mounted in the wheel wells. I can get the brakes really hot and sync the videos to see which rotor cools more quickly.
Wow, that is some dedication. You must have a sailing background because this is the technique they use to see how the sails are going, bravo.

At any rate, I thin vids will be helpful to show airflow, but temperature strips should help as well. Available on amazon.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 03:12 AM   #100
FlyingLow78
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
Wow, that is some dedication. You must have a sailing background because this is the technique they use to see how the sails are going, bravo.

At any rate, I think vids will be helpful to show airflow, but temperature strips should help as well. Available on amazon.
Thanks. Ive got an aviation background, but the disciplines have similarities.

I tried shooting videos last night, and even several repeated stops from 200kph barely registered a color change on the rotors. Clearly, both solutions are working, and my tires arent generating enough grip in the low temperatures to really stress the brakes.

I have the temp strips ready to go on, but not until I can get things much hotter.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #101
Megator
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Ive got an aviation background, but the disciplines have similarities.

I tried shooting videos last night, and even several repeated stops from 200kph barely registered a color change on the rotors. Clearly, both solutions are working, and my tires arent generating enough grip in the low temperatures to really stress the brakes.

I have the temp strips ready to go on, but not until I can get things much hotter.
Temp strips would be my next move but they are expensive!

Maybe this is an idea https://www.banggood.com/TM902C-LCD-...r_warehouse=CN

Get 2, super glue the thermocouple to the top of the caliper and film each display.

Thanks for the links to his ducts, I think I will end up with a solution like this as the M2C ducts are too close to the tire to effectively use.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #102
MagnusT
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Or let a pair of RejsaRubberTrac do double duty. The thermo cameras are not really ment for such high temps but are supposed to go to around 900 celsius although not calibrated that high up. Maybe not the most serious suggestion but I have actually been thinking on aiming a pair of my RejsRubberTracs towards the brakes to see what I'll see :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 04:46 AM   #103
Megator
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusT View Post
Or let a pair of RejsaRubberTrac do double duty. The thermo cameras are not really ment for such high temps but are supposed to go to around 900 celsius although not calibrated that high up. Maybe not the most serious suggestion but I have actually been thinking on aiming a pair of my RejsRubberTracs towards the brakes to see what I'll see :-)
Your project is very cool but maybe a bit too complex for this?

I might follow my own advice and take a wheel off to see if this idea works.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 01:08 PM   #104
MagnusT
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Yeah, a bit overkill for this hehe
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 04:51 AM   #105
FlyingLow78
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Has anyone tried using the Porsche front scoops on the rear of the F8X? The rear suspension sits a bit lower and they look like theyd be ideal for routing cold air directly at the caliper. I did a notional fitment with the set I trimmed for the from of my M3 and they look like almost a perfect fit (just a little too long). Id love to direct air directly at the caliper because I distorted the dust boots previously and this would give me a little more margin.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:28 PM   #106
Tano
First Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep

Quote:
Has anyone tried using the Porsche front scoops on the rear of the F8X? The rear suspension sits a bit lower and they look like theyd be ideal for routing cold air directly at the caliper. I did a notional fitment with the set I trimmed for the from of my M3 and they look like almost a perfect fit (just a little too long). Id love to direct air directly at the caliper because I distorted the dust boots previously and this would give me a little more margin.
Yes, it fits. Some of us already applied this on the rear.