BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Dinan? worth it?

06-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #1
Mkinzie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2, 18 wrangler 7 seater

Dinan? worth it?

so im new here, and this is my first M car !
3rd bmw

ever since ive dreamt of having a M , I always thought and read, having a dinan car was a big deal. step above all the rest and added value

but now after reading on this forum, impression I get is that its overpriced and nothing special. and having dinan badge is nothing special

when I bought car, my mind was made up that everything I put on it was gonna be dinan and get that badge. plus the warranty was big part

now 2nd guessing if $ spent better on diff brands

currently I have dinan exhaust and res delete. and was gonna do intake, tune, intercooler, and eventually turbo.

last week I did put vsrf DP on and have there charge pipes and intercooler sitting in cart waiting to buy.

and was thinking still going dinan tune ( read it does run smoothest of others)

guess question is, is it worth it? do other M guys laugh at the dinan badge
am I wasting money?
do I forget dinan and warranty and do a diff tune ?

that msr intake really makes me drool
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 09:41 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
Dinan isn’t the same since Steve Dinan sold it several years ago. All your Dinan upgrades and the Dinan badge adds zero resale value to the M2. Some would even say it detracts from the value because most used car buyers are looking for a stock car.

For me, my M2 is fast enough and I plan on zero tunes. My M2 is loaded with M Performance parts including the M Performance exhaust.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2019, 10:41 PM   #3
Mkinzie
Private
Rep

ok so boot mod 3 over dinan tune ?

wagner evo2 comp or vrsf 6.5'' comp hd

intake?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 12:44 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkinzie View Post

intake?
In terms of value, bootmod3 offers more for a cheaper price.

Both Wagner and VRSF are quality intercoolers. VRSF will provide better IAT control, Wagner offers better pressure air drop and is lighter

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN19133.00
      06-11-2019, 03:48 AM   #5
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.72]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:

intake?
In terms of value, bootmod3 offers more for a cheaper price.

Both Wagner and VRSF are quality intercoolers. VRSF will provide better IAT control, Wagner offers better pressure air drop and is lighter
Great info.
      06-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #6
Mkinzie
Private
Rep

What about quality. Not nec value
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #7
Picoschu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 03 E39 M5, 01 325iT, 17 328dxT

From my understanding Dinan parts will not void your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #8
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picoschu View Post
Any part will void your warranty if they can prove that part caused the problem. Dinan is no different.

If you buy a full Dinan kit from a Dinan distributor and have a Dinan approved shop install said parts, they offer their own warranty separate from BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picoschu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
Any part will void your warranty if they can prove that part caused the problem. Dinan is no different.

If you buy a full Dinan kit from a Dinan distributor and have a Dinan approved shop install said parts, they offer their own warranty separate from BMWs.
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 01:18 PM   #10
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

I went the full dinan route with my OG M2 turbo upgrade, exhaust, tune, etc. I was going with pure turbo instead but didn't. I'm not here to knock on any product but in the end I was happy but not satisfied with what the upgrades did to the car. If I did it all over again I'd run pure for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 01:40 PM   #11
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
I don't think you'll be disappointed going full Dinan but for the same price you can get more. You're paying Dinan for the warranty so their tune will be on the conservative side. But even their warranty isn't guaranteed. There's a forum member running their tune and got a CEL and they told him to just unplug it to get rid of CEL to pass inspection.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #12
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Motoring View Post
There's a forum member running their tune and got a CEL and they told him to just unplug it to get rid of CEL to pass inspection.
I think you're referring to my thread, I have the Dinan stage 1 installed, I liked it, as it picks up the slack within the stock tune but the only issue is I kept failing NY state OBD2 annual inspection, on two separate occasions.

There is no check engine light or signs of any malfunction but the Dinantronics unit kept specifically the 02 sensor and catalyst in a "not ready" state, thus, automatically failing emissions inspection.

First, I assume it was a bad harness, so I bought a new one, same issue. I even cracked open the unit to looked for physical damage, everything was in perfect shape.

Finally, I just disconnected the entire unit and passed the "readiness" test the same day.

Dinan said 'every car is different, so just disconnect it to pass inspection.'

I'm not bashing Dinan, I love they have a external piggyback option that doesn't alter the factory mapping. Big plus for me, so I could live with the compromises.

I did a check right now and still after 4 months after I passed inspection and then reconnected it, it resume placing the sensors in a "not ready" state again. So it's I'm 100% sure it's the piggyback causing this annoying but manageable issue.

Piggyback tunes and State Inspections https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1603758
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #13
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
It was you. I'm surprised your post didn't get more attention but I guess people don't care much about Dinan anymore.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      06-11-2019, 08:02 PM   #14
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Motoring View Post
It was you. I'm surprised your post didn't get more attention but I guess people don't care much about Dinan anymore.
That's funny, 'cause I was thinking the same exact thing..

Same applies to JB4, not a peep about it here since the recent popularity of flash tuning.

I still love the concept of a piggyback over flash tuning. Tuning is like your car's computer on drugs, I would hate dealing with any withdrawals.. So to speak..
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #15
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer28312 View Post
I went the full dinan route with my OG M2 turbo upgrade, exhaust, tune, etc. I was going with pure turbo instead but didn't. I'm not here to knock on any product but in the end I was happy but not satisfied with what the upgrades did to the car. If I did it all over again I'd run pure for sure.
If yiu go with dinan, that about 450hp, good enough for the N55

If you go pure turbo, you can go higher, but you also risk your engine health,

Thats the thing with dinan there is r&d that has gone into development and you get a good conservative increase that will not put your car parts at risk
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #16
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Not worth it. They claim to be a real engineering company but they don't publish any of their findings or results.

They're basically no different than your local tuner shop with a popular name.

I've been over this before, if anyone thinks I'm full of crap show me the data. Their website has nothing on it
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 08:50 PM   #17
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Thats the thing with dinan there is r&d that has gone into development and you get a good conservative increase that will not put your car parts at risk
There's very little real R&D. How many years do they run their motors with their tune and objectively collect data?

Dinan is selling you a name.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 08:57 PM   #18
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
There's very little real R&D. How many years do they run their motors with their tune and objectively collect data?

Dinan is selling you a name.
How many time has their stuff lead to blown engine?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 10:01 PM   #19
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
That's not engineering and there's a recent thread with a guy that blew his s55 with a Dinan tune. They replaced his engine.

Engineering involves empirical data to support a design. They're not willing to share ANY such data. Nobody even knows what their test procedures are, let alone how MUCH testing they're performing.

Just be happy that they are good about honoring a "warranty" and enjoy your tune, but don't expect any real engineering behind it. What they do is simple engine tuning any local shop can do, except they don't max out, leaving you to believe it's safer lmao. Anybody can do that.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 10:09 PM   #20
Mkinzie
Private
Rep

so can I use bm3 and stay " safe" as if went dinan
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:16 PM   #21
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
Quote:
That's not engineering and there's a recent thread with a guy that blew his s55 with a Dinan tune. They replaced his engine.

Engineering involves empirical data to support a design. They're not willing to share ANY such data. Nobody even knows what their test procedures are, let alone how MUCH testing they're performing.

Just be happy that they are good about honoring a "warranty" and enjoy your tune, but don't expect any real engineering behind it. What they do is simple engine tuning any local shop can do, except they don't max out, leaving you to believe it's safer lmao. Anybody can do that.
I don't know exactly home much engineering goes into their tune but I do know for a fact you do feel a difference in increased power and the braided harness, ECU and water-sealed PCB feels of very high quality and surpasses OEM standards.

I know garbage products and trust me, you can look at the ECU box and harness and clearly see there was thought gone into its design and the fact that OEM dealers are resellers for a tune, speaks volume to the trust already vetted, regardless of their supplementary warranty.

When you tune a vehicle, you are exploiting the safety margin the manufacture left in between what they determined is a safe power output and possible failure from being exceeded its tolerance.

You have to expect that any method you choose to utilized this extra power is going to be a risk to the motor. If Dinan decided not overburden the motor with a lean tune, that's not a big deal.

More power would equals more wear, so I'm ok with that lesser trade-off.

Appreciate 3
D22M21373.50
qnet683.00
tranck500.50
      06-12-2019, 09:43 AM   #22
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
so can I use bm3 and stay " safe" as if went dinan
BM3 from what I gather have issues related to fuel quality. It seems their 93 octane tune is pretty sensitive depending on the quality of gas. In Texas, we should be ok.
Appreciate 0