BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track Newbie

02-04-2022, 07:43 AM   #1
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Track Newbie

I want to do some HPDEs with my m2 competition this summer, probably around 3 or 4. I have no track experience (did BMW track days but I almost don't count that even though was super fun).

I have read a bit about somethings to do to prepare but would love to hear from more people about what a proper beginner should do, I would like to put my money on the track days instead of on things the car may not need yet since I am a beginner.

Things I will be doing I am pretty sure
- Oil Change
- SS brake lines (Probably goodrich, is spiegler worth the extra $60?)
- Better brake fluid (Castrol SSR?)
- Will be using my M788s for the track, the PSS have about 16k on them so will probably be putting new tires on it, was just going to do PS4S, should I consider something else? These will be used only for the track days)
- Will do some track wrap in the front of the car since not PPFed, bought car used, already had a good amount of chips so decided against PPF but still would love to keep the car in decent shape
- Was going to just use the stock pads for now since putting new pads on the car every time I am going to track will be kind of a pain in the ass on the 2NH. Was going to then probably switch to the Ferrodo 2500 which probably should be good for a beginner for a little bit and could still use on the street and track.
- My skid plate has lost one of the arm things so have a turner metal one on the way that I will be installing.

- Eventually I do want to do coil overs and may do them this summer but its not a priority for now, would love to drive the car completely stock and then start doing stuff like coilovers, camber plates ect to really see how it changes the car.

Anything else I should consider doing?

Tracks that I will be going to should be Lime Rock and New York Safety Track
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      02-04-2022, 08:14 AM   #2
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

You need a good tire pressure gauge and a helmet if you don’t already own those.

Definitely brake fluid. Otherwise as a newb, you’re fine.

I know swapping pads is harder with your setup but, go ahead and get used to it. Don’t be a wimp. You got it. Get the tools necessary and learn how.
Appreciate 2
MooMooM21817.50
PHX102160.50
      02-04-2022, 09:19 AM   #3
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
I want to do some HPDEs with my m2 competition this summer, probably around 3 or 4. I have no track experience (did BMW track days but I almost don't count that even though was super fun).

I have read a bit about somethings to do to prepare but would love to hear from more people about what a proper beginner should do, I would like to put my money on the track days instead of on things the car may not need yet since I am a beginner.

Things I will be doing I am pretty sure
- Oil Change
- SS brake lines (Probably goodrich, is spiegler worth the extra $60?)
- Better brake fluid (Castrol SSR?)
- Will be using my M788s for the track, the PSS have about 16k on them so will probably be putting new tires on it, was just going to do PS4S, should I consider something else? These will be used only for the track days)
- Will do some track wrap in the front of the car since not PPFed, bought car used, already had a good amount of chips so decided against PPF but still would love to keep the car in decent shape
- Was going to just use the stock pads for now since putting new pads on the car every time I am going to track will be kind of a pain in the ass on the 2NH. Was going to then probably switch to the Ferrodo 2500 which probably should be good for a beginner for a little bit and could still use on the street and track.
- My skid plate has lost one of the arm things so have a turner metal one on the way that I will be installing.

- Eventually I do want to do coil overs and may do them this summer but its not a priority for now, would love to drive the car completely stock and then start doing stuff like coilovers, camber plates ect to really see how it changes the car.

Anything else I should consider doing?

Tracks that I will be going to should be Lime Rock and New York Safety Track
Welcome to the addiction! My first time on track was during a BMW track day too - called my wife on the way home and told her I hope she hates money...

You have a good grasp on where to start & sounds like a good mindset too - so really not much would recommending changing.

Brakes - definitely better fluid (Castrol SRF is my preference - boiling points are much higher & the added benefit of not having to bleed the brakes nearly as often as with most other fluids). SS brake lines are nice but not a must at this point - I do like the Spieglers though. But if you plan to do them eventually then coinciding with a fluid change makes sense. Pads - you will likely be ok with the stock pads but I really prefer a more track oriented pad even at the start. Really comes down to technique and track characteristics. Beginners can actually stress their brakes more than experienced drivers dragging out the braking zones (like riding the brake). Also DSC incorporates the brakes so if you are tripping it often you can add a lot more heat into the system than you realize. And the track you are on does make a difference too (not sure about the ones you mentioned). Definitely a pain in the butt to swap the 2NH out but would consider it. A pad like the 2500 is definitely a step up from the oem pads but could still get some fade with the 2NH. At minimum would make this swap now but would still prefer to go to a dedicated track pad (in Ferodo the 1.11 would be the choice). Not fun to swap but it's brakes - really sucks to need them and they are not there...

Tires - the MP4S is absolutely fine for a beginner. Really the best choice for a beginner is a not very grippy (relative) tire that offers good feedback and wears like a tank. Bonus if said tire is cheap - but unfortunately with 19s you are a bit limited here. Tire progression is an awesome way to improve and learn on the track. Once you get past learning the basics (the rules, track awareness, - stuff like that) the learning process moves more towards finding the limit and then knowing what to do when you have crossed it. Doing this with a slower, more communicative tire is much easier than with a faster tire that requires quicker and more accurate input to properly correct. The learning curve is typically faster if you spend the time on the slower tires building these fundamentals. Making the jump too soon to a faster tire can slow this down considerably (or even stall it). The MP4S fits this bill well in the 19" offerings.

Suspension - like your thinking here. Go beat on the stock setup until it is a limiting factor. For a beginners its good to see how those changes affect the car like you said. The only consideration I would have here is tire wear without camber plates. Being able to run a more track friendly alignment is definitely going to help tire wear. So if you find that you're killing the outsides on tires more often than you like you might consider making the move sooner. This one is a catch 22 for me because it goes a bit against my don't make the car faster until you are faster than the car philosophy - but running up the tire budget can really suck too.

Transmission - what do you have? If its a 6spd and you are going to track its definitely not necessary but would look at shifters. Not only are they faster & easier to shift - but the main thing is money shift prevention... Also if you have a 6spd how do you like the stock pedals for rev matching? If DCT please move on - nothing to really worry about yet but might have some things to look at down the line.

Fun - make sure you have fun! Anything that adds to the enjoyment go for it! Kind of silly but I'm kind of a car geek - my 6spd OG M2 was so much more fun to drive (to me) after installing an alcantara steering wheel and CAE shifter. My first track car (and still my main track focus) was an E92 M3 - swapped the exhaust immediately so I could hear that sweet S65 sound. On my M2C I swapped the steering wheel (yes alcantara again) and DCT paddles. What I'm getting at is make the experience as enjoyable as you can. I find it puts me in the best mindset for whatever I'm trying to accomplish on the track that day - whether it be racing, testing, or just a fun track day. Also makes all the prep time before more worth it to me.

Stability - you're going to find pretty quickly that it really sucks getting thrown around in the seat on the track. It beats you up and wears you out after a long track day. Also best technique is hard to achieve imo like this (especially with a 6spd - but also with a dct). Unfortunately BMW went full stupid on the comp seats not providing harness slots - but there are options here just not as simple as with the OG. But definitely go cut your teeth with the oem seat and 3pt - will make you appreciate the move to a more stable setup that much more if you decide to do it in the future.

Main thing really is go have fun, be safe, learn, and be aware.
Appreciate 3
MooMooM21817.50
CrashFL137.50
      02-04-2022, 12:42 PM   #4
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Brake fluid is a probably good idea before your first track day, brake pads are probably fine for maybe your first track day but probably will need to be changed very quickly when you gain experience. Your tires if they have plenty of tread left will probably be fine for the first day too.

There isn't a huge need for SS brake lines, I do have them but it's a marginal difference.

I think you really will need to get camber plates if you're going to do more than 1 or 2 days per year, I did 4 days on my stock MPSS as an inexperienced driver and the shoulders were completely worn away but still have tons of tread left otherwise. Camber plates will really save you money in tires.
Appreciate 2
      02-04-2022, 12:52 PM   #5
iWayne
///M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Just do brake fluid - I use Castrol SRF, pricey but should last the season and most HPDE orgs will require it having done in the past 6-12 months.

Everything else will depend on your progression but would expect that you'll want to do:
1) Brake Pads
2) Camber Plates + Alignment
3) More seat time before anything else really

I'll be doing a few track events w/ the NJ BMW CCA
http://njbmwcca.org/driving-events/driver-schools/
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21817.50
      02-04-2022, 02:21 PM   #6
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
I didnt have any issues with brake fade with this car after several events so i doubt you'll need to worry about brake fluid, especially if you keep it reasonable since it's your first track day.

Just get an approved helmet, tire pressure monitor, and bring your humility. For your first event i reckon spending money on track insurance will be far more helpful than upgrading your brake fluid. I mean the stock tires are "ok" and maybe that's where i might spend if you have some itchy $100 bills.
Appreciate 1
Got f1?681.00
      02-04-2022, 07:03 PM   #7
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWayne View Post
Just do brake fluid - I use Castrol SRF, pricey but should last the season and most HPDE orgs will require it having done in the past 6-12 months.
Do the brake fluid.
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21817.50
      02-04-2022, 11:57 PM   #8
toned
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Transmission - what do you have? If its a 6spd and you are going to track its definitely not necessary but would look at shifters. Not only are they faster & easier to shift - but the main thing is money shift prevention... Also if you have a 6spd how do you like the stock pedals for rev matching? If DCT please move on - nothing to really worry about yet but might have some things to look at down the line.
In regards to the money shift prevention comment, do you mean by finding the gears easier, or is there more to that statement than that? (preventing you from going down a gear, as an example)
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21817.50
      02-05-2022, 08:39 AM   #9
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toned View Post
In regards to the money shift prevention comment, do you mean by finding the gears easier, or is there more to that statement than that? (preventing you from going down a gear, as an example)
Mainly in the guidance it gives you in the upshift to the correct gear. You reeeeaaaalllllllly have to botch it to accidently drop a gear - you can do it but it really is to the point it would almost have to be deliberate. Finding gears is easy as well but I feel like the stock shifter isn't too bad here.
Appreciate 2
toned44.00
MooMooM21817.50
      02-05-2022, 11:09 AM   #10
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman’s Brother View Post
You need a good tire pressure gauge and a helmet if you don’t already own those.

Definitely brake fluid. Otherwise as a newb, you’re fine.

I know swapping pads is harder with your setup but, go ahead and get used to it. Don’t be a wimp. You got it. Get the tools necessary and learn how.
I am down to changing the brake pads but right now I don't have a garage, only a gravel driveway and a dirt floor barn. When I build the garage sometime this year then I will be fine doing that. That said, still a pain to do and if I get serious with this I will consider getting the AP racing brake kit or maybe get a more dedicate track car.

I forgot about mentioning the helmet. Going to get one and will also get a nice tire gauge.

Quote:
Welcome to the addiction! My first time on track was during a BMW track day too - called my wife on the way home and told her I hope she hates money...

You have a good grasp on where to start & sounds like a good mindset too - so really not much would recommending changing.

Brakes - definitely better fluid (Castrol SRF is my preference - boiling points are much higher & the added benefit of not having to bleed the brakes nearly as often as with most other fluids). SS brake lines are nice but not a must at this point - I do like the Spieglers though. But if you plan to do them eventually then coinciding with a fluid change makes sense. Pads - you will likely be ok with the stock pads but I really prefer a more track oriented pad even at the start. Really comes down to technique and track characteristics. Beginners can actually stress their brakes more than experienced drivers dragging out the braking zones (like riding the brake). Also DSC incorporates the brakes so if you are tripping it often you can add a lot more heat into the system than you realize. And the track you are on does make a difference too (not sure about the ones you mentioned). Definitely a pain in the butt to swap the 2NH out but would consider it. A pad like the 2500 is definitely a step up from the oem pads but could still get some fade with the 2NH. At minimum would make this swap now but would still prefer to go to a dedicated track pad (in Ferodo the 1.11 would be the choice). Not fun to swap but it's brakes - really sucks to need them and they are not there...

Tires - the MP4S is absolutely fine for a beginner. Really the best choice for a beginner is a not very grippy (relative) tire that offers good feedback and wears like a tank. Bonus if said tire is cheap - but unfortunately with 19s you are a bit limited here. Tire progression is an awesome way to improve and learn on the track. Once you get past learning the basics (the rules, track awareness, - stuff like that) the learning process moves more towards finding the limit and then knowing what to do when you have crossed it. Doing this with a slower, more communicative tire is much easier than with a faster tire that requires quicker and more accurate input to properly correct. The learning curve is typically faster if you spend the time on the slower tires building these fundamentals. Making the jump too soon to a faster tire can slow this down considerably (or even stall it). The MP4S fits this bill well in the 19" offerings.

Suspension - like your thinking here. Go beat on the stock setup until it is a limiting factor. For a beginners its good to see how those changes affect the car like you said. The only consideration I would have here is tire wear without camber plates. Being able to run a more track friendly alignment is definitely going to help tire wear. So if you find that you're killing the outsides on tires more often than you like you might consider making the move sooner. This one is a catch 22 for me because it goes a bit against my don't make the car faster until you are faster than the car philosophy - but running up the tire budget can really suck too.

Fun - make sure you have fun! Anything that adds to the enjoyment go for it! Kind of silly but I'm kind of a car geek - my 6spd OG M2 was so much more fun to drive (to me) after installing an alcantara steering wheel and CAE shifter. My first track car (and still my main track focus) was an E92 M3 - swapped the exhaust immediately so I could hear that sweet S65 sound. On my M2C I swapped the steering wheel (yes alcantara again) and DCT paddles. What I'm getting at is make the experience as enjoyable as you can. I find it puts me in the best mindset for whatever I'm trying to accomplish on the track that day - whether it be racing, testing, or just a fun track day. Also makes all the prep time before more worth it to me.

Stability - you're going to find pretty quickly that it really sucks getting thrown around in the seat on the track. It beats you up and wears you out after a long track day. Also best technique is hard to achieve imo like this (especially with a 6spd - but also with a dct). Unfortunately BMW went full stupid on the comp seats not providing harness slots - but there are options here just not as simple as with the OG. But definitely go cut your teeth with the oem seat and 3pt - will make you appreciate the move to a more stable setup that much more if you decide to do it in the future.

Main thing really is go have fun, be safe, learn, and be aware.
Thank you for the list and advice.

I agree on the pads and I am sure I will experience fade and then do the work of switching to track pads the 3-4 times a year or if I really get into it (which lets be honest, it might happen, I absolutely loved the M track day track portion) then I would consider getting the AP racing kit for next season or so, but also maybe get something else to use as a track car, something cheaper and lighter to save on tires, brake pads, ect...

I might have to go suspension and camber plates sooner than later from reading what yall are saying, tires are not cheap and would hate to throw away a tire with a ton of thread left that could be saved. I don't wand to do camber on stock because would rather just get the plates that fit the coil overs and do it all at once, this might happen this year, maybe for the last track day or so.

I have a 6speed, definitely want to avoid the money shift ahha. I actually had the Mperformance knob and absolutely hated it, had it go into the wrong gear a few times, just how it is and how it fits in the had you have to grab it more instead of just guide it. I switch back to the ZHP knob and so much better, it just falls where it needs to be, maybe its the weight but also the shape and how it fits in the hand.

I definitely will consider a bucket seat if I really get into this, I am not super into the M2 comp seats, they look nice but you sit WAY too high and they don't grip you as much as I would like. At M track days I was in a g80 with the carbon buckets and they were incredible on the track, also the seating position was incredible... after driving the G80 and the F87 back to back the thing I missed was the seats and seat position of the G80, apart from that I preferred the F87.

I have the mperformance v2 steering wheel ready to go which I think will make a huge difference. ZHP knob is wrapped in alcantara and that is all in the interior.

I am super excited for this, ready to have a ton of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux2005 View Post
Brake fluid is a probably good idea before your first track day, brake pads are probably fine for maybe your first track day but probably will need to be changed very quickly when you gain experience. Your tires if they have plenty of tread left will probably be fine for the first day too.

There isn't a huge need for SS brake lines, I do have them but it's a marginal difference.

I think you really will need to get camber plates if you're going to do more than 1 or 2 days per year, I did 4 days on my stock MPSS as an inexperienced driver and the shoulders were completely worn away but still have tons of tread left otherwise. Camber plates will really save you money in tires.
yeah, it seems like I will probably have to get the suspension done sooner than later so I can get the proper camber plates and not be wasting tires. Its fine because I want to do suspension anyways and will get it done at same time.

As far as SS lines, I will need to get the brake oil changed so figured have mechanic do the lines as well at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWayne View Post

Everything else will depend on your progression but would expect that you'll want to do:
1) Brake Pads
2) Camber Plates + Alignment
3) More seat time before anything else really

I'll be doing a few track events w/ the NJ BMW CCA
http://njbmwcca.org/driving-events/driver-schools/
I want to check out some tracks in jersey as well. Its a bit farther from me but not too much. I am 1 hour from lime rock and NY safety but probably a few hours from Jersey so I want to come down and check it out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
I didnt have any issues with brake fade with this car after several events so i doubt you'll need to worry about brake fluid, especially if you keep it reasonable since it's your first track day.

Just get an approved helmet, tire pressure monitor, and bring your humility. For your first event i reckon spending money on track insurance will be far more helpful than upgrading your brake fluid. I mean the stock tires are "ok" and maybe that's where i might spend if you have some itchy $100 bills.
I looked into track insurance, its a bit crazy, I think they quoted me over $1000. I mean if I crash I will be spending a lot more than that but I just can't be justifying $1000 everytime I go to the track. I think some HPDEs the insurance is cheaper so I will need to look into it but when I had put my data for an event was over 1k.

I know my limits and know I am not a good driver yet so I will for sure be humble and stay in my lane.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions, I truly appreciate it!
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      02-08-2022, 11:41 AM   #11
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
I am down to changing the brake pads but right now I don't have a garage, only a gravel driveway and a dirt floor barn. When I build the garage sometime this year then I will be fine doing that. That said, still a pain to do and if I get serious with this I will consider getting the AP racing brake kit or maybe get a more dedicate track car.

I forgot about mentioning the helmet. Going to get one and will also get a nice tire gauge.

Thank you for the list and advice.

I agree on the pads and I am sure I will experience fade and then do the work of switching to track pads the 3-4 times a year or if I really get into it (which lets be honest, it might happen, I absolutely loved the M track day track portion) then I would consider getting the AP racing kit for next season or so, but also maybe get something else to use as a track car, something cheaper and lighter to save on tires, brake pads, ect...

I might have to go suspension and camber plates sooner than later from reading what yall are saying, tires are not cheap and would hate to throw away a tire with a ton of thread left that could be saved. I don't wand to do camber on stock because would rather just get the plates that fit the coil overs and do it all at once, this might happen this year, maybe for the last track day or so.

I have a 6speed, definitely want to avoid the money shift ahha. I actually had the Mperformance knob and absolutely hated it, had it go into the wrong gear a few times, just how it is and how it fits in the had you have to grab it more instead of just guide it. I switch back to the ZHP knob and so much better, it just falls where it needs to be, maybe its the weight but also the shape and how it fits in the hand.

I definitely will consider a bucket seat if I really get into this, I am not super into the M2 comp seats, they look nice but you sit WAY too high and they don't grip you as much as I would like. At M track days I was in a g80 with the carbon buckets and they were incredible on the track, also the seating position was incredible... after driving the G80 and the F87 back to back the thing I missed was the seats and seat position of the G80, apart from that I preferred the F87.

I have the mperformance v2 steering wheel ready to go which I think will make a huge difference. ZHP knob is wrapped in alcantara and that is all in the interior.

I am super excited for this, ready to have a ton of fun!

yeah, it seems like I will probably have to get the suspension done sooner than later so I can get the proper camber plates and not be wasting tires. Its fine because I want to do suspension anyways and will get it done at same time.

As far as SS lines, I will need to get the brake oil changed so figured have mechanic do the lines as well at the same time.

I want to check out some tracks in jersey as well. Its a bit farther from me but not too much. I am 1 hour from lime rock and NY safety but probably a few hours from Jersey so I want to come down and check it out as well.

I looked into track insurance, its a bit crazy, I think they quoted me over $1000. I mean if I crash I will be spending a lot more than that but I just can't be justifying $1000 everytime I go to the track. I think some HPDEs the insurance is cheaper so I will need to look into it but when I had put my data for an event was over 1k.

I know my limits and know I am not a good driver yet so I will for sure be humble and stay in my lane.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions, I truly appreciate it!
$1000 for track ins? wowza, it's usually like $350 ish. You must be young or something weird. Anyways it's not a absolute. Little secret, i've never bought track insurance lol. But i have seen good drivers crash when they are going a bit out there and they luckily did, so they were "ok"
If you just go with the flow of traffic and try to match what they're doing in the beginner group, and then just try to go a little bit faster through the day i'd say you'll be fine. Have fun.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 02:45 PM   #12
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
$1000 for track ins? wowza, it's usually like $350 ish. You must be young or something weird. Anyways it's not a absolute. Little secret, i've never bought track insurance lol. But i have seen good drivers crash when they are going a bit out there and they luckily did, so they were "ok"
If you just go with the flow of traffic and try to match what they're doing in the beginner group, and then just try to go a little bit faster through the day i'd say you'll be fine. Have fun.
Not that young, 37.

So I just checked while I was registering for one of the HPDEs and was about $550, so a little less than the other quote (not sure why it was so high) but still a lot of money every time, + tires + pads, ect... way too much.

Track days in america, haggerty does a good deal on insurance at $300, I would definitely consider it at $300 but over $500 I might pass for now.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2022, 03:10 PM   #13
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I buy insurance when I go to a new track or run with a new group. However, you have to have a major crash in order for claim filing to make sense. It also depends on your remaining car payments and your overall situation. It's a calculated risk that I consciously accept.
Appreciate 2
CrashFL137.50
      02-08-2022, 05:42 PM   #14
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I guess its don't race what you can't replace. I would love not to have to replace it but if it happens I can replace it it something else, won't probably be another M2 but I would not be car less.

This is why I want to give it a shot and then if I do like it, get something cheaper like a miata or a toyota 86 or S2k or something like that. I will still want to take the M2 to the track once in a while but would love to have a second car I can rely on when the other one is at the track
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 09:49 AM   #15
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
I guess its don't race what you can't replace. I would love not to have to replace it but if it happens I can replace it it something else, won't probably be another M2 but I would not be car less.

This is why I want to give it a shot and then if I do like it, get something cheaper like a miata or a toyota 86 or S2k or something like that. I will still want to take the M2 to the track once in a while but would love to have a second car I can rely on when the other one is at the track
I very much agree with your first statement - don't track it if you can't replace it. Shit happens - you can be the best driver ever and be 100% in control and a catastrophic mechanical failure can put you in the wall. Certainly not a big chance that would happen - but it has before.

So I will warn you - can be kind of hard to go backwards in car capability on the track... Once you get spoiled by a car like the M2 - a Miata or something like that might not have the fun factor for you. If you get into racing wheel to wheel then definitely maybe - but for just track days eh might be tough. Not saying you can't make one of those cars fast (or fun) but there is a big gap between them and the M2. The M2 shines as a dual duty car - it's fast out of the box and has good street manners. Its definitely not the fastest car on the track but even in stock form it punches a bit above its weight class. Also once you are ready to move on from stock there are good modifications available that can take it to the next level - an extremely fast car on the track that is still great on the street and easily daily driveable.

Pretty much what I'm saying is that if I had an M2 at my disposal I would be very hard pressed to not use it as a track day car too.
Appreciate 1
CrashFL137.50
      02-09-2022, 10:24 AM   #16
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I very much agree with your first statement - don't track it if you can't replace it. Shit happens - you can be the best driver ever and be 100% in control and a catastrophic mechanical failure can put you in the wall. Certainly not a big chance that would happen - but it has before.

So I will warn you - can be kind of hard to go backwards in car capability on the track... Once you get spoiled by a car like the M2 - a Miata or something like that might not have the fun factor for you. If you get into racing wheel to wheel then definitely maybe - but for just track days eh might be tough. Not saying you can't make one of those cars fast (or fun) but there is a big gap between them and the M2. The M2 shines as a dual duty car - it's fast out of the box and has good street manners. Its definitely not the fastest car on the track but even in stock form it punches a bit above its weight class. Also once you are ready to move on from stock there are good modifications available that can take it to the next level - an extremely fast car on the track that is still great on the street and easily daily driveable.

Pretty much what I'm saying is that if I had an M2 at my disposal I would be very hard pressed to not use it as a track day car too.

yeah I definitely thought about that, a miata is going to feel very slow after driving an M2. To me is more of if I can get a second car and something happens to one of them I still have the other one. But I agree, if I track the M2 too many times it will be hard to go to something slower but I do feel like I would learn to be a better driver with a slower car but I don't have that at my disposal right now and I really want to track a car and not going to be one of those people that looks at the M2 as some precious thing. I rather take the risk and enjoy the car while still being responsible.
Appreciate 2
OG Shark4692.50
Spider.75.50
      02-09-2022, 10:50 AM   #17
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
yeah I definitely thought about that, a miata is going to feel very slow after driving an M2. To me is more of if I can get a second car and something happens to one of them I still have the other one. But I agree, if I track the M2 too many times it will be hard to go to something slower but I do feel like I would learn to be a better driver with a slower car but I don't have that at my disposal right now and I really want to track a car and not going to be one of those people that looks at the M2 as some precious thing. I rather take the risk and enjoy the car while still being responsible.
Yeah definitely understand have the second car in case something happens - very big consideration in that decision. And I'm a big proponent of learning how to drive a slow fast before moving up. I will say though that the M2C is beginner friendly. Yes its fast but its driving characteristics are such that a beginner can use it to learn how to approach the limit without it trying to constantly bite your head off. It has good power and the rear can definitely step out a bit - but they are both very manageable.

Definitely not trying to talk you out of a 2nd car (and that being a Miata or something like it) - a lot of positives in that option too. Really just that with an M2C imo a lot of the value of this platform is in how fun and good it can be on the track. Either way you're tracking - and that is the biggest win.
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21817.50
      02-25-2022, 03:09 PM   #18
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I need to get a helmet and some gloves.

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg but also want something decent, say I want to spend $600 for both, what do yall think?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 04:01 PM   #19
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep

Happy with my Bell K1 Pro and it didn’t break the bank. Want gloves as well but I’m going to get those in person to make sure I get em sized right.
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21817.50
      02-25-2022, 04:19 PM   #20
GFEA
@333m2c
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c f87 S55

Garage List
great thread!

This was the hardest thing to navigate my first track day with the car a year ago. Your first few days at the track are typically dictated by your run group. In socal the beginners groups and scene is super friendly and easy to navigate and despite looking intimidating.

If it counts for anything I daily with my track pads and switch to ds2500 if I have a big delay between the next days.

A lot of guys with m2's just do lowering springs, brake pads, brake fluid, brake lines, camber plates and a good alignment and a lot of good info has been covered here.

what you DONT NEED TO DO:
- add a ton of horsepower

I see this mistake and have even made it myself the stock power is just fine

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1805010
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21817.50
      02-26-2022, 07:09 AM   #21
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Happy with my Bell K1 Pro and it didn’t break the bank. Want gloves as well but I’m going to get those in person to make sure I get em sized right.
that looks good to me, also while I was looking at that I saw the m.8 from Bell as well which looks pretty good as well. I will probably pick one of those.

I wish I could go to a store but I am in upstate NY and cannot find a store that sells helmets (only moto helmets).
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 09:18 AM   #22
iWayne
///M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Quote:
that looks good to me, also while I was looking at that I saw the m.8 from Bell as well which looks pretty good as well. I will probably pick one of those.

I wish I could go to a store but I am in upstate NY and cannot find a store that sells helmets (only moto helmets).
Its worth a trip to try them on in person or if online companies have good return policies.

Stable Energies in Northern NJ - Decent selection at all price points, worth the trip imo
Appreciate 0