BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Fabspeed Downpipe Advice

05-13-2021, 05:35 PM   #89
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Some stuff that isn't CARB certified could be, they just didn't spend the money to get certified, because its expensive.
You're absolutely correct.
      05-13-2021, 05:45 PM   #90
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostedphil698 View Post
This makes sense. I knew that PA only adopted CARB requirements to title a new car. Here in PA we can use aftermarket cats.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1718072
The regulations for new cars are the same with the exception of ZEV vehicle requirements, which states can opt out of. I passed smog with a Fabspeed cat, even though it doesn’t have a carb sticker. Maybe if they knew about it, it wouldn’t pass, but regardless I passed. But I don’t know what the difference is between CA and PA emissions tests specifically, if any.

As for getting chargepipes, catted downpipes, catless downpipes, zero issue getting those in California. You can get all of those. Is it a gray area, sure. But that’s why all those parts are basically sold as “off road only”.

Last edited by pz619; 05-13-2021 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2021, 05:46 PM   #91
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
What I wonder is if the sport cat passes the visual inspection, and the sniff test, would it have been Federally legal if it came from the factory that way? I'm wondering because I know manufacturers go overboard on some things because they want to produce the same product for several years without new tooling costs. The stock cat *most probably* reduces emissions more than the Fabspeed, the question is; does it need to? Maybe it's going overboard, and even with the increased emissions of the Fabspeed, if it passes the sniff test, one could make the argument that it's still compliant, even if technically illegal at the Federal level.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 05:51 PM   #92
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
What I wonder is if the sport cat passes the visual inspection, and the sniff test, would it have been Federally legal if it came from the factory that way? I'm wondering because I know manufacturers go overboard on some things because they want to produce the same product for several years without new tooling costs. The stock cat *most probably* reduces emissions more than the Fabspeed, the question is; does it need to? Maybe it's going overboard, and even with the increased emissions of the Fabspeed, if it passes the sniff test, one could make the argument that it's still compliant, even if technically illegal at the Federal level.
Pot is Illegal on the federal level

Bless their little hearts 💕
      05-13-2021, 05:53 PM   #93
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
I thought about this too. My guess is that the Fabspeed sport cat isn’t as durable as the OEM ones. The stock ones are required to last 10 years and honestly I don’t think the Fabspeed one will hold for that long.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN18312.50
      05-13-2021, 05:57 PM   #94
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Quote:
I thought about this too. My guess is that the Fabspeed sport cat isn’t as durable as the OEM ones. The stock ones are required to last 10 years and honestly I don’t think the Fabspeed one will hold for that long.
Hard to actually say

I'm coating mine so that might help to some degree
      05-13-2021, 06:19 PM   #95
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Its such a gray area with cats
      05-13-2021, 06:55 PM   #96
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.66]
It's interesting how a simple thread can bring out all the stuffy fat cats
Attached Images

pz6193278.50
Poochie9104.50
      05-13-2021, 07:21 PM   #97
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Bro LOL
      05-13-2021, 11:59 PM   #98
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphiveo View Post
I dont own the car anymore...but this was my 2018 M2 with the Fabspeed catted downpipe and their muffler bypass exhaust....was actually videoed at Fabspeed after they finished the install. Never had a CEL or an issue with emissions inspection in PA at least.

Sounds good to me

Not sure I'd have the guts to remove the mid pipe, but that FabSpeed downpipe adds a ton of character
      05-14-2021, 12:39 AM   #99
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:

[/QUOTE]

:

Touché
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN18312.50
      05-14-2021, 01:20 AM   #100
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just a friendly debate, I really couldn't care less who installs what or how much more of the air they're potentially polluting.. I'm not going to live forever, so do your worst..

What just irks me when folks choose to be willfully obtuse simply because it fits their agenda..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 01:32 AM   #101
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Just a friendly debate, I really couldn't care less who installs what or how much more of the air they're potentially polluting.. I'm not going to live forever, so do your worst..

What just irks me when folks choose to be willfully obtuse simply because it fits their agenda..
People are generally edgy because of COVID I think. Hopefully we can all lighten up or simply agree to disagree

I personally have modified many cars in my time and I have been very restrained with my M2 but the FabSpeed is high on my list of potential mods

I think it probably the number 1 bottleneck
      05-14-2021, 01:34 AM   #102
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
Quote:
I don't think anybody would ask their dealer to install downpipes. Dealers don't even like it when you put aftermarket wipers on.
Depends on the dealership. I go to one that sells and installs Dinan parts and offers wheel powdercoating. They really could care less if you have modifications and they'd gladly install them for you. Many of the SA's even ask what mods I have and tell me about theirs. The only time there would be an issue is if you wanted to warranty something that's failed because of a mod you had. That aside they don't give a crap.
You're right, no faceless franchise dealer really cares what you install on your vehicle. Your car could burst into flames after you leave the dealership service center and they wouldn't bat an eye.

Their issue is when are dealing with a customer that could potentially cost them a chargeback on a warranty claim or maybe even get them fined because they where noncompliant with BMW AG's stringent policies.

So, they are going to err on the side of safety and deny any and all claims that are questionable or even remotely connected to your current mods.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 01:47 AM   #103
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
Quote:
I don't think anybody would ask their dealer to install downpipes. Dealers don't even like it when you put aftermarket wipers on.
Depends on the dealership. I go to one that sells and installs Dinan parts and offers wheel powdercoating. They really could care less if you have modifications and they'd gladly install them for you. Many of the SA's even ask what mods I have and tell me about theirs. The only time there would be an issue is if you wanted to warranty something that's failed because of a mod you had. That aside they don't give a crap.
You're right, no faceless franchise dealer really cares what you install on your vehicle. Your car could burst into flames after you leave the dealership service center and they wouldn't bat an eye.

Their issue is when are dealing with a customer that could potentially cost them a chargeback on a warranty claim or maybe even get them fined because they where noncompliant with BMW AG's stringent policies.

So, they are going to err on the side of safety and deny any and all claims that are questionable or even remotely connected to your current mods.
I've been modifying cars for half my life

I don't think the SportCat is a big deal

I'd rather purchase it over an exhaust
      05-14-2021, 01:50 AM   #104
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

People are generally edgy because of COVID I think. Hopefully we can all lighten up or simply agree to disagree

I personally have modified many cars in my time and I have been very restrained with my M2 but the FabSpeed is high on my list of potential mods

Nah, you got me all wrong; COVID is over, as far as I'm concern and I'm cool as the other side of the pillow.. 😎

If you want a sports cat, don't let anyone discourage you, get it! I drove a catless car for years on an Acura RSX but never again! God, that smell was awful..🤮

I almost drunk-ordered a 300 cell HJS unit myself a few times but eventually came to my senses. Sober, $1,400+ is a hard pill to swallow for a downpipe, when my car is very potent with the stock unit and I plan to get rid of it within the next two years anyways but soundwise, I can see the appeal a high flow downpipe has to some.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 02:02 AM   #105
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nah, you got me all wrong; COVID is over, as far as I'm concern and I'm cool as the other side of the pillow.. 😎

If you want a sports cat, don't let anyone discourage you, get it! I drove a catless car for years on an Acura RSX but never again! God, that smell was awful..🤮

I almost drunk-ordered a 300 cell HJS unit myself a few times but eventually came to my senses. Sober, $1,400+ is a hard pill to swallow for a downpipe, when my car is very potent with the stock unit and I plan to get rid of it within the next two years anyways but soundwise, I can see the appeal a high flow downpipe has to some.
Interesting enough I had an RSX that had a straight pipe as well

Did yours happen to be a Type S ⁉️

Mine was catless

Awful
      05-14-2021, 02:24 AM   #106
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mine was catless

Awful
Oh yes, it sure was!

I even convinced my friend to get a Type S also and female cousin to purchase base a model. I was a big fan of that vehicle, especially how it revved to sky.. Ooo, that was intoxicating!

I was young and indifferent then, so I had someone cut out the stock cat and put a open test pipe to add some pep but I kept the stock exhaust. At 8,000rpm, I could sometimes see the folks in my rearview frowning, due to the funky smell.

I'm more mature now and empathetic to others, so I can't see myself going down that route again but it would be a dream to own a new Type S once more..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 02:28 AM   #107
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mine was catless

Awful
Oh yes, it sure was!

I even convinced my friend to get a Type S also and female cousin to purchase base a model. I was a big fan of that vehicle, especially how it revved to sky.. Ooo, that was intoxicating!

I was young and indifferent then, so I had someone cut out the stock cat and put a open test pipe to add some pep but I kept the stock exhaust. At 8,000rpm, I could sometimes see the folks in my rearview frowning, due to the funky smell.

I'm more mature now and empathetic to others, so I can't see myself going down that route again but it would be a dream to own a new Type S once more..
Owning my Type-S was an epic experience

I am not comparing an open test-pipe to the FabSpeed Sport Cat

Do you see them in the same light ?
      05-14-2021, 02:41 AM   #108
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mine was catless

Awful
Oh yes, it sure was!

No, certainly not. I heard Fabspeed downpipe does have an odor, a few notches above stock but no way on the level as going full catless, especially on a turbo strait 6.

I was pointing out I'm not hypocritical on the idea of tinkering with the cat, I totally understand the appeal.

The only bad thing I heard about FS is the cell core will eventually burn out and have to be replaced but apparently FS now offers lifetime warranty on their downpipe, for what that's worth.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 02:47 AM   #109
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mine was catless

Awful
Oh yes, it sure was!

No, certainly not. I heard Fabspeed downpipe does have an odor, a few notches above stock but no way on the level as going full catless, especially on a turbo strait 6.

I was pointing out I'm not hypocritical on the idea of tinkering with the cat, I totally understand the appeal.

The only bad thing I heard about FS is the cell core will eventually burn out and have to be replaced but apparently FS now offers lifetime warranty on their downpipe, for what that's worth.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mine was catless

Awful
Oh yes, it sure was!

That's good to know obviously only to the purchaser/Original owner

That's smart of them muffler shops do the same thing not like they're going to ever have to honor it
      05-14-2021, 08:46 AM   #110
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
they are going to err on the side of safety and deny any and all claims that are questionable or even remotely connected to your current mods.
Which is perfectly reasonable and fair. If I have an exhaust-related issue and I have exhaust mods I'm not going to go crying to the dealership, I'll pay for that repair out of pocket. It's all irrelevant now as I'm out of warranty and paying for repairs on my own, but I've had unrelated warranty work done (eccentric shaft/valve actuator) with all of my modifications and coding in place and there weren't any issues. My point is you're not throwing your entire warranty away when you modify one component of your car. And if you have an issue with an SA at one dealership you can always find another. Maybe that's harder for some folks who live in rural areas but I have 4 dealers within a 25 min radius so I can play hard to get.
Appreciate 4