M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Castrol SRF Shelf Life

10-12-2020, 09:45 AM   #23
iBrakeLate
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
HTC 64T is not DOT approved and hence does not need to publish a wet boiling point.

https://www.racetechnologies.com/pro...64-brake-fluid

So maybe not great for street/track cars as in an accident your insurance might become invalidated. OFC they would need to think to and test the brake fluid in there but still.
No problem with street use, I don't think insurance is going to remove the fluid and send it to a lab for testing.

I would definitely not recommend using this fluid in colder climates though.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 11:45 AM   #24
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrakeLate View Post
No problem with street use, I don't think insurance is going to remove the fluid and send it to a lab for testing.

I would definitely not recommend using this fluid in colder climates though.
As I said its probably one of the last things they would plan to check. Still a risk to run it on the street (as highlighted by your temp comment too).

Just feel casual readers should be informed, especially when its about the most critical safety feature on your car.

Same as I find it funny that no one mentions using the one tool designed for this job to check if brake fluid is still OK. A brake fluid tester can be had for 5-10$ and takes all the guess work out of determining if fluid is good or not. A check of the brake fluid with it should probably be part of your standard trackday preflight checks.