BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Anyone get the S1 Dinan tune yet?

01-05-2017, 04:26 PM   #1
zFrostyy
Private
Rep
Drives: AW DCT M2

Anyone get the S1 Dinan tune yet?

Wondering how it feels after, is the suspension as substantial of an improvement as they say?

Looking at the Dyno for it, it looks like there's a bump in power at ~6k(where it used to be pretty linear), does that change the character of the car at all? Does it feel like Turbo-lag?

Does the throttle response change? If so, how is it?

Contemplating getting it for my M2!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 04:31 PM   #2
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

Bought the pkg but my turbo is still a couple of weeks out. Everyone who recently bought the pkg generally has to wait 3 weeks for the turbo to arrive
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #3
zFrostyy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer28312 View Post
Bought the pkg but my turbo is still a couple of weeks out.
That's stage two if i'm not mistaken, did you get the stage one parts installed yet?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
josepi123
Rep
Drives: ///M2C - '20 - Forged Silver

Well I got it, but only the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1, Not the Signature or the complete Power Package.

I can tell you there is clearly a difference on how the car reacts, the throttle response is much sharp even if you are in comfort mode the car wants to fly, and you could actually feel those extra HP :P, but I have to yet dyno the car to see much better.

By using the onboard computer, the sport display Power & Torque Gauge says it's hitting the 380HP mark, as well as a much higher torque. and If I turn off the S1 via phone app, it goes down around 25HP.

I got it as soon as I got my baby, but finally im able to play with it haha. That only makes me wonder how good that S4 would be on it.
      01-05-2017, 08:08 PM   #5
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

What octane gas? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 08:55 PM   #6
josepi123
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbavar2 View Post
What octane gas? Thanks!
      01-06-2017, 01:33 AM   #7
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepi123 View Post
By using the onboard computer, the sport display Power & Torque Gauge says it's hitting the 380HP mark, as well as a much higher torque. and If I turn off the S1 via phone app, it goes down around 25HP.
I could be wrong but onboard computer can only see tricked signal and should not display the real power you are making, otherwise the piggyback won't work at all.
      01-06-2017, 07:48 AM   #8
josepi123
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
I could be wrong but onboard computer can only see tricked signal and should not display the real power you are making, otherwise the piggyback won't work at all.
I actually heard that too, that's what I found weird, and interesting at the same time, but since Im thinking on doing some dyno runs, that will give me some answers.

But I also would like to know if anybody else have the same feel like me with S1
      01-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #9
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

I've had the Stage 1 tune since September, in anticipation of later upgrading to Stage 2 once the turbo package came out. I originally had the JB+, but was having issues with the car going into limp mode after approx. 20min. of hard track usage. I theorized that the JB+ lacked the more comprehensive control of parameters needed for extended aggressive use. Haven't had any problems with the Stage 1 on the track, and in comparison to the JB+, the power delivery was much smoother. Planning on upgrading to the turbo/Stage 2 in the spring.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 04:32 PM   #10
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I was considering it but when I look at the graphs it looks like the Dinan tune follows the BMW tune except for two small blips in the HP and TRQ which only last for a few RPM before following the BMW curve again.

So is it really worth it? What am I missing?

Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      01-06-2017, 10:54 PM   #11
M2Dynamic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
I was considering it but when I look at the graphs it looks like the Dinan tune follows the BMW tune except for two small blips in the HP and TRQ which only last for a few RPM before following the BMW curve again.

Good point.... actually wondering the same thing. I'm not good at reading these graphs and how they translate to power delivery and performance; wondering if someone with extensive knowledge and with an unbiased opinion and shed some light on this. Thanks!

(Considering myself which big turbo to go with along with my FBO's and flash tune. Either bootmod3+Pure Stage 2 or Dinantronics+Dinan big turbo. Tough decision. Forget all the warranty and installation and pricing- which big turbo would be best for RELIABLE smooth power delivery)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 12:45 AM   #12
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Thanks! I wonder if 91 is even worth it (I'm in Cali ), I remember seeing a post from Dinan doesn't seem like it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 01:51 AM   #13
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Hope someone with the Stage1 can go to a Dynojet do 2-3 pulls on the tune and last pull with the tune disabled via bluetooth app to see their baseline + delta gains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post

You're not missing anything, you clear have a good eye which sadly a lot are missing.
The car is almost stock and for what it cost, its throwing your money down the toilet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapeconj View Post
Good point.... actually wondering the same thing. I'm not good at reading these graphs and how they translate to power delivery and performance; wondering if someone with extensive knowledge and with an unbiased opinion and shed some light on this. Thanks!

(Considering myself which big turbo to go with along with my FBO's and flash tune. Either bootmod3+Pure Stage 2 or Dinantronics+Dinan big turbo. Tough decision. Forget all the warranty and installation and pricing- which big turbo would be best for RELIABLE smooth power delivery)
Easy decision, do you want reliable gain+ with still plenty of headroom if you plan to max out the PS2, with flexibility, features, best resale value & custom tuning for your octane needs or
you want to buy a similar turbo to your current M2 (rumors say the Dinan turbo is similar to stock and has no comparison to PS1 and PS2 is leaps and bound ahead in another category) , conservative piggyback (Not a flash) and pay 80% for their warranty, and get less than 50% back when you plan to sell it due to their horrible resale value since warranty is tied to 1 VIN.

Hope you make the right choice

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Last edited by FSociety; 01-07-2017 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2017, 02:21 AM   #14
zFrostyy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Hope someone with the Stage1 can go to a Dynojet do 2-3 pulls on the tune and last pull with the tune disabled via bluetooth app to see their baseline + delta gains.

You're not missing anything, you clear have a good eye which sadly a lot are missing.
The car is almost stock and for what it cost, its throwing your money down the toilet.
I beg to differ, what comes from an aftermarket tune is more than just what's on the dyno sheet.

You get throttle response, suspension tuning, exhaust sound, from what I hear but have yet to confirm is substantially less body roll. All the little details are better.

No one expects ridiculous gains from a Stage 1, that's not what Stage 1's are, atleast not from Dinan.

To condemn a entire stage 1 from Dinan just based on the dyno sheet is missing the point entirely.
Appreciate 2
DrKevM52262.00
      01-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #15
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zFrostyy View Post
I beg to differ, what comes from an aftermarket tune is more than just what's on the dyno sheet.

You get throttle response, suspension tuning, exhaust sound, from what I hear but have yet to confirm is substantially less body roll. All the little details are better.

No one expects ridiculous gains from a Stage 1, that's not what Stage 1's are, atleast not from Dinan.

To condemn a entire stage 1 from Dinan just based on the dyno sheet is missing the point entirely.
I am ONLY asking about the tune. We know the intake and exhaust are purely cosmetic and personal preference. As for throttle response. If the graph follows the BMW M tune for 99% of the graph then the "throttle reponse" we would feel are the slight bumps for seat of the pant, throw you back feel.

What I read in the charts is that for once BMW M has maxed out an M car so that there isn't a need to "tune" it. Which to tell you the truth is why I traded in my 1996 328 and bought my 1997 E36M3. The cost to "tune" the 328 exceeded the price differential.

That said I still added a Conforti flash tune, AA exhaust, short shifter and Eibach sway bars. And nothing against Jim but truth be told I could not swear the tune really did much. It was just different.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #16
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
I've had the Stage 1 tune since September, in anticipation of later upgrading to Stage 2 once the turbo package came out. I originally had the JB+, but was having issues with the car going into limp mode after approx. 20min. of hard track usage. I theorized that the JB+ lacked the more comprehensive control of parameters needed for extended aggressive use. Haven't had any problems with the Stage 1 on the track, and in comparison to the JB+, the power delivery was much smoother. Planning on upgrading to the turbo/Stage 2 in the spring.
Was there any seat of the pants difference in feel vs stock? 93 octane I assume? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #17
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post

Easy decision, do you want reliable gain+ with still plenty of headroom if you plan to max out the PS2, with flexibility, features, best resale value & custom tuning for your octane needs or
you want to buy a similar turbo to your current M2 (rumors say the Dinan turbo is similar to stock and has no comparison to PS1 and PS2 is leaps and bound ahead in another category)
, conservative piggyback (Not a flash) and pay 80% for their warranty, and get less than 50% back when you plan to sell it due to their horrible resale value since warranty is tied to 1 VIN.

Hope you make the right choice
So this is interesting. Tell us more about these "rumors." Dinan says this about its big turbo:

"Factory turbo that is machined to Dinan specifications with an upgraded thrust system.
+ Larger billet compressor/impeller wheel that allows ~30% greater flow over stock which then enables additional boost to be realized while retaining efficiency."

1) Do these "rumors" say that this is incorrect, or just that these changes are insignificant compared to the changes in the Pure turbos from stock?

2) What is the "another category" in which the Pure turbos are "leaps and bounds ahead"?

3) What is the evidence for a Dinan kit reducing a car's resale value to "horrible," "because the warranty is tied to one VIN?" The VIN stays the same if you sell the car, right? I bought my first Dinan car from somebody else, and Dinan honored its warranty when my ecu died and I needed to flash the replacement. And when I totaled my Dinan e36 M3 last year, my insurance company more than doubled my cash payout after it learned and confirmed the presence of a Dinan system on the car.

There is no doubt that Dinan's current piggies have their limitations, just given the nature of a piggy compared to a good flash, etc., and there is no doubt that Dinan leaves hp and torque on the table because of that fact---but I haven't read any complaints about the driveability of any Dinan kit, no matter the stage, especially most recently the big turbo kit on the M235i.

Reasonable people can differ about the cost/benefit of different stages of a Dinan kit. But these claims you make here are just rumor-mongering until they are backed up.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
      01-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #18
c0rehax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f87 m2

Somewhat curious to know why Dinan, CA based, is testing at 93oct vs 91oct. My guess is it numbers based and I would really like to see number on 91. I personally am going to go suspension and brakes (KW/Brembo) before i go power, but am still curious.
03 m5 (JB/Black)- Dinan, Volk, ECS, Slimmbones : Sold
17 m2 (BSM/Black)- MPE, IND, more to come : Current
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #19
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rehax View Post
Somewhat curious to know why Dinan, CA based, is testing at 93oct vs 91oct. My guess is it numbers based and I would really like to see number on 91. I personally am going to go suspension and brakes (KW/Brembo) before i go power, but am still curious.
Test / publish with 91 simply because that is what the bulk of the country (and most of the serviced world) has access too as their premium fuel. You would be about 20-30 horse down on 91 depending on conditions from advertised with the stage 4 setup. On the stage 1 tune with 91 the gain is minimal and really only evens out some power delivery--- seat of the pants feels different/better but actual power gains are negligible.
Appreciate 1
omasou2079.50
      01-09-2017, 08:02 PM   #20
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Well I got it, but only the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1, Not the Signature or the complete Power Package.

I can tell you there is clearly a difference on how the car reacts, the throttle response is much sharp even if you are in comfort mode the car wants to fly, and you could actually feel those extra HP :P, but I have to yet dyno the car to see much better.

I got it as soon as I got my baby, but finally im able to play with it haha. That only makes me wonder how good that S4 would be on it.
My car is bone stock and hit the 400hp mark or very close to 400hp on the sport display, I don't think that display should be taken seriously.
      01-10-2017, 04:43 AM   #21
c0rehax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f87 m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Test / publish with 91 simply because that is what the bulk of the country (and most of the serviced world) has access too as their premium fuel. You would be about 20-30 horse down on 91 depending on conditions from advertised with the stage 4 setup. On the stage 1 tune with 91 the gain is minimal and really only evens out some power delivery--- seat of the pants feels different/better but actual power gains are negligible.
Thank you for this, right around the corner from you guys and always wanted to stop by your shop to look around. My dealership said that you guys bought their first m2, the white one, right after i bought my BSM.
03 m5 (JB/Black)- Dinan, Volk, ECS, Slimmbones : Sold
17 m2 (BSM/Black)- MPE, IND, more to come : Current
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 11:49 AM   #22
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rehax View Post
Thank you for this, right around the corner from you guys and always wanted to stop by your shop to look around. My dealership said that you guys bought their first m2, the white one, right after i bought my BSM.
Monterey is our source for cars. =)

Feel free to swing by whenever. Do a handful of tours seemingly everyday.
Appreciate 0