BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M Performance Coilvers, worth it???

05-15-2021, 10:42 AM   #485
SebsM2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C_PLUS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
6K miles on my 2020 M2C with MPERFORMANCE Suspension. Everything set to BMW recommended specs. O issues so far- my shop took there time to get everything dialed- in. You can have issues if the dealer or who ever installed them did not take time to install them to BMW recommended.
See, this is where I have a major problem with the M Perf's. What is the point of having "adjustable" coilovers if they only work set at one point.

I swapped mine out for Nitron's and they work perfect with zero squeaks/clonks or knocks at what ever settings I choose.
Hmm, thanks for writing this. I thought all coilovers were just loud. My kwv3s are extremely noisy and still way too bouncy. I'll have to look into the nitrons
      05-15-2021, 07:17 PM   #486
twboy1999
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 honda accord

just installed a new set of kw v3

no noise from my kw v3 and not bouncy

i am using the recommended KW setting from the instruction manual

rides better than oem over rough bumps
      08-22-2023, 04:29 AM   #487
jayk12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 comp

Jumping in on an old thread but I had Ohlins R&T on my M2C, 90/190 Springs. Found it very firm on the roads and I live around twisty bumpy roads with loads of dips and undulations. The Ohlins had to go back for warranty repair the old knocking noise so I thought I'll try M Performance coilovers.

I've been playing around with the M Perf Coilover settings and for the road I found most settings too soft, so reverse of the Ohlins. I like the car planted, not leaning, re-active and responsive, but had some compliance on the road. So the only way I found this was to set the MP at bump 4 all round and rebound 7 front and 10 rear. No these are supposed to be track settings from what i read.

I still find undulations at speed the front tyres can rub the arches a bit where the Ohlins did not.

My concern is theres not much more adjustment left for stiffer track work, what do you guys run on track?

Where the Ohlins were middle of the range and had adjustment either side.

Tough one.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      08-29-2023, 01:42 PM   #488
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayk12 View Post
Jumping in on an old thread but I had Ohlins R&T on my M2C, 90/190 Springs. Found it very firm on the roads and I live around twisty bumpy roads with loads of dips and undulations. The Ohlins had to go back for warranty repair the old knocking noise so I thought I'll try M Performance coilovers.

I've been playing around with the M Perf Coilover settings and for the road I found most settings too soft, so reverse of the Ohlins. I like the car planted, not leaning, re-active and responsive, but had some compliance on the road. So the only way I found this was to set the MP at bump 4 all round and rebound 7 front and 10 rear. No these are supposed to be track settings from what i read.

I still find undulations at speed the front tyres can rub the arches a bit where the Ohlins did not.

My concern is theres not much more adjustment left for stiffer track work, what do you guys run on track?

Where the Ohlins were middle of the range and had adjustment either side.

Tough one.
How do you find the M Perf ride compared to stock?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 03:50 PM   #489
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Jumping in on an old thread but I had Ohlins R&T on my M2C, 90/190 Springs. Found it very firm on the roads and I live around twisty bumpy roads with loads of dips and undulations.
A common assessment, if buried on Bimmerpost.

Quote:
I'd say you're really looking for a track suspension for the road, as the MPS with those settings isn't comfortable for most. I have my MPS set softer than yours and the spring rate still bothers me on the road.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 04:28 PM   #490
jayk12
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
How do you find the M Perf ride compared to stock?
I purchased my car with Coilovers so cant say sorry. Id say they are good daily coilover though. Just dont daily mine, its more fun car.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      09-03-2023, 04:29 PM   #491
jayk12
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
A common assessment, if buried on Bimmerpost.

I'd say you're really looking for a track suspension for the road, as the MPS with those settings isn't comfortable for most. I have my MPS set softer than yours and the spring rate still bothers me on the road.
I find if i go to stock settings its not bad but still doesnt feel as responsive as id like it. I dont daily mine though.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 07:58 AM   #492
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
I find if i go to stock settings its not bad but still doesnt feel as responsive as id like it. I dont daily mine though.
I'm secretly (not so secretly) mad at EVERY manufacturer that thinks I want an increased spring rate just because I want to lower the car. And I'm not alone, I'm just more vocal about it. One of the most popular additions to the CS was the more comfortable ride bone stock.
Appreciate 4
jefe2000716.00
chris7197273.00
Stylin.M2262.50
Pani0.00
      09-21-2023, 05:02 AM   #493
jayk12
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I'm secretly (not so secretly) mad at EVERY manufacturer that thinks I want an increased spring rate just because I want to lower the car. And I'm not alone, I'm just more vocal about it. One of the most popular additions to the CS was the more comfortable ride bone stock.
I agree 100%. Only my Porsche's got it right but even then they were stiff but thats just cause our roads are soo badly maintained.

I have a question of M Performance coilover settings. So I am running recommended settings, Bump 6 F/R, Rebound 9 F, 12 Rear. However the rear feels floaty. On my Ohlins it never felt like this. There is a big difference in spring rates. Is this based on spring rates mainly, or can I maybe turn the rebound down to match the front to help with the floaty feeling?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 07:35 AM   #494
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
I agree 100%. Only my Porsche's got it right but even then they were stiff but thats just cause our roads are soo badly maintained.

I have a question of M Performance coilover settings. So I am running recommended settings, Bump 6 F/R, Rebound 9 F, 12 Rear. However the rear feels floaty. On my Ohlins it never felt like this. There is a big difference in spring rates. Is this based on spring rates mainly, or can I maybe turn the rebound down to match the front to help with the floaty feeling?

Thanks,

I'm not an expert on suspensions, so I'm not the one to ask about that feeling. I went 2 clicks softer on everything than BMW recommends (F:11/8 & R: 14/8) IIRC and I don't get any floaty feeling, interstate or The Dragon, so something seems weird.

The answers you seek are probably in this thread or linked to this thread:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1397743
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 09:56 AM   #495
jayk12
Enlisted Member
Rep

I guess when i mean floaty i'm comparing to the Ohlins where the rear did not move at all. Now it doesn't feel as locked down, if i am having a spirited drive and go over crests the rear just feels soft, a bit floaty. With the Ohlins it didnt move at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 10:31 AM   #496
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
I guess when i mean floaty i'm comparing to the Ohlins where the rear did not move at all. Now it doesn't feel as locked down, if i am having a spirited drive and go over crests the rear just feels soft, a bit floaty. With the Ohlins it didnt move at all.
The rear of my car feels very planted in all situations, even when I'm sideways. I've also not had Ohlins on this particular car, so I can't comment on what the difference is.

Back when I was searching for a ROAD suspension for this car I did not consider the Ohlins because they seemed to be more track-focused, more prone to failure, and had higher spring rates than the MPS.
Appreciate 1
jayk1221.50
      09-22-2023, 09:32 AM   #497
jayk12
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The rear of my car feels very planted in all situations, even when I'm sideways. I've also not had Ohlins on this particular car, so I can't comment on what the difference is.

Back when I was searching for a ROAD suspension for this car I did not consider the Ohlins because they seemed to be more track-focused, more prone to failure, and had higher spring rates than the MPS.
Yeah I guess cause I have the Ohlins track day kit it was so locked down. Yes they are prone to failure due to a bushing change, mine are being fixed under warranty now. Debating if i should put them on with softer rear spring but playing with MPS for now.

I will try and stiffen up the rear and see how the car feels on the rear. I guess everyone likes the car to feel a certain way.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 10:24 AM   #498
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I guess cause I have the Ohlins track day kit it was so locked down. Yes they are prone to failure due to a bushing change, mine are being fixed under warranty now. Debating if i should put them on with softer rear spring but playing with MPS for now.

I will try and stiffen up the rear and see how the car feels on the rear. I guess everyone likes the car to feel a certain way.

I found the stock suspension to be crashy and nervous, and to that end the MPS (with its vastly better damping) cured both (at the expense of a softer spring rate and ride). I've grown used to the MPS, and wouldn't want anything more aggressive. In fact, I'm after a lower spring rate for them.

If you like the way the track day kit felt but want something more reliable, you might ask the track rats in their forum. Litchfield in the UK has a properly sorted kit for sure.

https://www.litchfieldmotors.com/bmw...ling-upgrades/
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 03:41 PM   #499
jayk12
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I found the stock suspension to be crashy and nervous, and to that end the MPS (with its vastly better damping) cured both (at the expense of a softer spring rate and ride). I've grown used to the MPS, and wouldn't want anything more aggressive. In fact, I'm after a lower spring rate for them.

If you like the way the track day kit felt but want something more reliable, you might ask the track rats in their forum. Litchfield in the UK has a properly sorted kit for sure.

https://www.litchfieldmotors.com/bmw...ling-upgrades/
Its a tough one, the car handled so well on the track day kit but was so firm over bumps on bad roads which there are too many off them around here. My friend has Litchfield Nitrons and he says they are too firm, he has just purchased MPS to try them. I'm back on default settings and was tempted to try and soften it up for the winter. (Im in the UK). What settings do you have for bump and rebound)?

My Ohlins are still being fixed so I have plenty of time to see if I wanted to refit them and go.for a 140NM rear spring compared to the 190NM i have now. Or can i get the MPS working for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 05:01 PM   #500
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Its a tough one, the car handled so well on the track day kit but was so firm over bumps on bad roads which there are too many off them around here. My friend has Litchfield Nitrons and he says they are too firm, he has just purchased MPS to try them. I'm back on default settings and was tempted to try and soften it up for the winter. (Im in the UK). What settings do you have for bump and rebound)?

My Ohlins are still being fixed so I have plenty of time to see if I wanted to refit them and go.for a 140NM rear spring compared to the 190NM i have now. Or can i get the MPS working for me.
I just went 2 clicks softer on everything front and rear. It works, but won't be great until I get Swift springs.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 04:28 AM   #501
jayk12
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I just went 2 clicks softer on everything front and rear. It works, but won't be great until I get Swift springs.
So I started looking at KW DDC over the weekend and a video on YouTube with KW and an M2. The KW engineer said in the M2 the front axle provides the ride comfort and the rear axle gives stability, reason is because you sit closer to the front axle. Honestly I thought it was the other way around.

Any how someone else I was speaking to a while ago said he found the sweet spot on the bad roads we have was to have the front softer than the rear.

So I left the rear on default setting B 6 / R 12 and changed the front to B 9 / R 12 and it did make a big difference to road compliance and comfort over really bad roads. It did alot more roll on the front axle on corner entry but otherwise felt ok. Didn't fell like a stiff race car but more like a softer road car.

Worth a try!
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13538.50
      09-26-2023, 07:05 AM   #502
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
So I started looking at KW DDC over the weekend and a video on YouTube with KW and an M2. The KW engineer said in the M2 the front axle provides the ride comfort and the rear axle gives stability, reason is because you sit closer to the front axle. Honestly I thought it was the other way around.

Any how someone else I was speaking to a while ago said he found the sweet spot on the bad roads we have was to have the front softer than the rear.

So I left the rear on default setting B 6 / R 12 and changed the front to B 9 / R 12 and it did make a big difference to road compliance and comfort over really bad roads. It did alot more roll on the front axle on corner entry but otherwise felt ok. Didn't fell like a stiff race car but more like a softer road car.

Worth a try!
This is fantastic info!

A bit like having a few more psi in the tires under the engine (front or rear) to help handling in any car.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 02:24 PM   #503
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:
This is fantastic info!

A bit like having a few more psi in the tires under the engine (front or rear) to help handling in any car.
Did you just code out the EDC?
Appreciate 0