BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Axle stands

01-22-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
VW TT
Rep
Drives: M2

Axle stands

So I have done a search and found the threads about centre lift points etc but haven’t found what I’m looking for. I want to do a wheels off detail just one corner at a time so not putting the whole car on stands. So if I want to jack the car at the side lift point just doing one corner at a time where do I put the axle stand? Just need a reliable place to put the stand purley as backup to the jack which I’ll leave in place too, whilst I clean the arch and wheel and put it all back again. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 02:56 AM   #2
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1665276 last post
      01-23-2020, 06:58 AM   #3
VW TT
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Thanks for that. Seems the centre jack points are the way to do this then. I was worried to use the centre pints as a mechanic warned me it’s easy to get the wrong point and damage the car. Looks pretty simple though. I’ll do front two wheels then back two wheels separately.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 07:29 AM   #4
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I do wheel and pad swaps by lifting the car only from the front jacking point. If you have a decent jack I would trust it enough to stick my head in the wheel well and give everything a wipe.

For extra safety just chuck a tire/wheel under the car. So if it does come down it lands on that and stops the brakes/suspension from touching the floor.

BTW I never put my head anywhere it could get crushed by a failing jack.