BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > BMW M2 Competition and M5 Competition VIR Lap Times and Videos From C&D Lightning Lap

10-12-2019, 04:05 AM   #45
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Most BMWs have underachieved on the lightning lap for the following reasons:

1. It's a power track and BMWs are not usually the most powerful car in their class.
2. Before the AWD M5, BMWs struggle to put the power down because they are RWD and don't use 305+ section width tires like the Americans.
3. BMW can't seem to get the suspension tuning right on the F8x series cars.

The reality is that BMW isn't really out to compete for lap times. They will name cars "competition", but they still want to sell you a daily driver, GTS aside. They don't put the same amount of money into the extremes of performance as their competitors.
Appreciate 3
JustChris17483.00
clee1982797.50
Robin_NL8714.50
      10-12-2019, 06:03 AM   #46
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOhnoez View Post
Well at our dealership we had a guy trade in his giulia quadrifoglio that he tracked.
Car had less than 10k miles if I remember correctly.
On it's 3rd engine.
Only third?

He got one of the good ones...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 07:16 AM   #47
jhigg85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Yas Marina Blue 15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mm2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOhnoez View Post
Well at our dealership we had a guy trade in his giulia quadrifoglio that he tracked.
Car had less than 10k miles if I remember correctly.
On it's 3rd engine.
Only third?

He got one of the good ones...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 08:09 AM   #48
arudeone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
VIR is all about power and traction. Nimbleness means very little. That's why a lot big chunky rockets see good lap times there.

4.1 miles in 3 mins. Seems like drag racing all the time...
As someone that drives VIR regularly, and the Grand Course once a year, sorry but I have to strongly disagree with you. Grand is extremely technical and challenging. Of course high horse power cars make up time in straights like anywhere else, but if you can't get around the corners you get caught immediately. As with anything, the cars with the best combinations of attributes get around a track faster. It differs per track, but to call VIR a drag race is hyperbole at its best. Have you driven here? If not, come check it out and see if your opinion holds.
Appreciate 6
M-Pilot4859.00
natmad667.00
goodNIGHT106.50
Bumpinjeep5466.50
CanAutM321115.00
      10-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #49
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arudeone View Post
Quote:
VIR is all about power and traction. Nimbleness means very little. That's why a lot big chunky rockets see good lap times there.

4.1 miles in 3 mins. Seems like drag racing all the time...
As someone that drives VIR regularly, and the Grand Course once a year, sorry but I have to strongly disagree with you. Grand is extremely technical and challenging. Of course high horse power cars make up time in straights like anywhere else, but if you can't get around the corners you get caught immediately. As with anything, the cars with the best combinations of attributes get around a track faster. It differs per track, but to call VIR a drag race is hyperbole at its best. Have you driven here? If not, come check it out and see if your opinion holds.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #50
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudeone View Post
All due respect, VIR being "extremely technical and challenging" or not, was not the point, also I was not saying it's easy.

Simply the perception is that horsepower is much more useful there, the reason why heavier and more powerful cars show good lap times more often than we normally see elsewhere.

BTW, there is one local track where I obtained my national competition driver's license (Class B), which is similar to VIR and maybe even more extreme. And a much more "technical and challenging" one, where Toyota AE86, properly set up, outpaces M4C regularly.

Last edited by SeanWRT; 10-12-2019 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      10-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #51
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Repeat after me... "BMW is NOT the Ultimate Driving Machine"

It will take a lot of therapy to counter the marketing brainwashing , but don't lose hope, 3 times a week sessions at a minimum and your tunnel vision will slowly get wider.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 3
goodNIGHT106.50
clee1982797.50
swanson733.00
      10-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #52
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
2) "This M5 is not playful. Or nimble. Or light."

"The handling and grip of this 4628-pound machine [AMG GT63 S] foster total confidence."

The AMG GT63 S weighs 4628lbs. Obviously the M5 must weigh more, right? Nope. 4241lbs. Yet somehow C&D manages to call the M5 heavy in the first 9 words, while not just ignoring the extra 400lbs in the AMG, but practically treating it as if it somehow helped the performance. The upcoming M8 Gran Coupe will likely fall around 4600lbs, and I'm calling it now - you can expect to read "this car is heavy" near the top of all the reviews despite it likewise weighing less (or no more than) than the RS7 and GT63 S and whatever else might be in the class at the time. Because somehow current BMW weights are compared only to BMW's from 20 years ago and Porsches, and Mercedes weights are compared to... I don't even know who. Naval vessels? Apparently as long as the other brands weigh less than battleships, they're good.

The M5 might not be light, but 4241lbs makes it the lightest vehicle in its class. Put it on Sport Cup 2's and it would probably equal the AMG GT63 S times, and you'd have $66k in cash leftover for an actual track toy, or for an X5 to haul your family and track toy to and from the track.
They are attesting to how the car feels subjectively while being pushed on the track, not skid pad numbers. This speaks to the character of the M5 and AMG GT behind the wheel when being spanked.

You missed the entire point of those observations. It was never about their explicit measurements, rather implicit ones.
the m5 definitely feels like a boat. a floaty, wobbly, ocean going cruise liner. as a daily driver it's a great car. I would not want to track it.
      10-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #53
arudeone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
All due respect, VIR being "extremely technical and challenging" or not, was not the point, also I was not saying it's easy.

Simply the perception is that horsepower is much more useful there, the reason why heavier and more powerful cars show good lap times more often than we normally see elsewhere.

BTW, there is one local track where I obtained my national competition driver's license (Class B), which is similar to VIR and maybe even more extreme. And a much more "technical and challenging" one, where Toyota AE86, properly set up, outpaces M4C regularly.
No worries, but all I can say is I disagree, based on my limited experience. The world moves on.

You are saying "more often than we normally see elsewhere."...so where for example? Watkins Glen? Road Atlanta? Mid-Ohio? Summit Point? PittRace? NJ Lightning? For me, compared to these tracks I don't see it as more favorable.

I'm not familiar with your local track (I assume since you didn't say it's name), so I yield to your experience there. Even at Summit Point Shenandoah, my Miata times will be slower than my M2 or Corvette times.

No big deal...chat room disagreement. If you get a chance to drive VIR maybe you will change your mind, maybe not. Happy to check out your local track if I'm able.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #54
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

I had a chance to do Advanced M School at VIR this summer. It was awesome. We got to drive the M2C, M4C and M5C around the big track...though not as large as this configuration...We were doing the Full Course, not the Grand Course, so the back side had no "bitch" corner...just kept on straight because we were using the Patriot Course for other activities.

The M5/C is just an absolute, bruising monster; it's incredible what it can do. The M4/C is the best blend if you want something that can cruise on the highway, commute in - as I do, and have a little fun with. The M2C? It's just the best car, and certainly the best BMW, BMW makes. It wouldn't be as comfortable to live with everyday, but on the track it's as close as current BMWs come to feeling like an extension of your body, even if you sort of need to think about going on a diet.

For those wondering where the M3/4C stack up vis-a-vis the standard car...I'd estimate that they would match the M2C or be just ahead...the reason would be not the power bump or suspension tweaks, but the tires. The wider setup (265/285) has me thinking there would be just enough more grip to get it around. I could be wrong, but that's my impression.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #55
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Article is a good read every year, feedback about the various cars worth considering.

A serious exercise in lap times it's not. Especially not the cumulative, year to year data. Some lap times are pretty clearly well short of potential, others hero laps. To be expected in a test involving amateur drivers, different amateur drivers setting the times, and other variable inconsistencies.

Or, take the times as serious, and you can live in a world where the new M5 is a faster track car than an SS 1LE, a 997.2 RS can't quite keep up with the 5,000 lb. Urus, and the new ZR1 leaves the 918 Spyder 3.6 seconds behind.

Appreciate 3
      10-12-2019, 11:27 AM   #56
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Quote:
Even more complicated, is that there are two different power outputs - US and Europe...which would make comparisons harder.
Not that hard. Car and Driver is a US mag and they can run a US car around the lap. Then they can get off their asses and do a reasonable US comparison to S4, C43, and M340i. Maybe even throw the Stinger in there for good measure.
But when someone eventually takes one around the Nordschleife, it will likely be a Euro version and all the guys in the US will cry "foul"!

But yes, I would be interested to see how it stacks up. Just need to understand which version.
Nurburgring is irrelevant to this category of car. Save it for the track ready rides M, AMG, RS, Porsche, etc. I want street numbers and if they're gonna run OEM miatas and Camrys around VIR, then run the M-Performance car too!
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      10-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #57
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Nurburgring is irrelevant to this category of car. Save it for the track ready rides M, AMG, RS, Porsche, etc. I want street numbers and if they're gonna run OEM miatas and Camrys around VIR, then run the M-Performance car too!
I beg to differ. For 2 reasons:
1) it’s a good benchmark of performance with lots of elevation changes, slow corners, fast corners, increasing radius, decreasing radius, up hill, down hill etc.
2) I picked M2 so that I can take it to the Nordschleife. And now I’ve done it and it’s great to see what the car can do lap time wise. Gives me a realistic target for myself over the next 2 years on assignment in Germany.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 10-12-2019 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 4
stein_325i25073.50
clee1982797.50
Robin_NL8714.50
      10-12-2019, 02:14 PM   #58
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Even more complicated, is that there are two different power outputs - US and Europe...which would make comparisons harder.
Not that hard. Car and Driver is a US mag and they can run a US car around the lap. Then they can get off their asses and do a reasonable US comparison to S4, C43, and M340i. Maybe even throw the Stinger in there for good measure.
But when someone eventually takes one around the Nordschleife, it will likely be a Euro version and all the guys in the US will cry "foul"!

But yes, I would be interested to see how it stacks up. Just need to understand which version.
I agree that very few will actually drive like that - although I took one of my F10 5 series to the ring a few years ago, albeit it was only a humble 530d SE (with adaptive drive).

I think good handling is important and appreciate being able to compare cars. Handling to me matters more than 0-60, as where I live, the roads have lots of bends.

If a car was half a second slower to 60, but handled better, that would tick more boxes for me, but I know we are all different.

So I don't really care if it's the Ring or VIR where cars are compared, as long as they are compared, as it is useful to know how they hustle. What I am sure we would agree with is that whilst 1970 muscle cars look cool, they were known for lots of power, but not going around corners!
Attached Images

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 3
5.M0NSTER3353.50
stein_325i25073.50
clee1982797.50
      10-12-2019, 03:10 PM   #59
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree that very few will actually drive like that - although I took one of my F10 5 series to the ring a few years ago, albeit it was only a humble 530d SE (with adaptive drive).

I think good handling is important and appreciate being able to compare cars. Handling to me matters more than 0-60, as where I live, the roads have lots of bends.

If a car was half a second slower to 60, but handled better, that would tick more boxes for me, but I know we are all different.

So I don't really care if it's the Ring or VIR where cars are compared, as long as they are compared, as it is useful to know how they hustle. What I am sure we would agree with is that whilst 1970 muscle cars look cool, they were known for lots of power, but not going around corners!
The fact that quite a few members of this forum can actually post pictures of themselves driving the Green Hell speaks volumes to how many driving enthusiasts there are here. Cheers to that!

He is mine.
Attached Images

2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      10-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #60
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Quote:

The fact that quite a few members of this forum can actually post pictures of themselves driving the Green Hell speaks volumes to how many driving enthusiasts there are here. Cheers to that!

He is mine.
The M2 is looking good! We were there in 2014, so must get back now that I have a better car choice👍

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      10-13-2019, 07:11 AM   #61
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodfatherNiko View Post
It's not all about lap times, it's about how a car makes you feel. And in that regard, the M2C is #1 in my book.
That's true also - it's how a car makes you feel, - not the M2C being #1, for me at least.

For the moment, the C63S is ticking my boxes. The sound alone is orgasmic....

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 2
      10-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #62
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
That's true also - it's how a car makes you feel, - not the M2C being #1, for me at least.

For the moment at least, the C63S is ticking my boxes. The sound alone is orgasmic....
AMG really is making some cool cars at the moment, and they're definitely sneaking into BMW's territory of fast and fun sports cars. I remember when Jason Cammisa did an interview about the newest AMG cars, all he had to say was "when did Mercedes learn to shit all over BMW?" that was really saying something considering he use to be a long time BMW lover and still owns his E30 wagon.
      10-13-2019, 10:34 AM   #63
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodfatherNiko View Post
It's not all about lap times, it's about how a car makes you feel. And in that regard, the M2C is #1 in my book.
To a point, yes. But on the other hand Miata is a great drivers car, yet I wouldn’t want to drive it on the Nordschleife. Fun and fast around a track, that’s where it’s at for me.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      10-13-2019, 11:48 AM   #64
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Quote:

For the moment at least, the C63S is ticking my boxes. The sound alone is orgasmic....
AMG really is making some cool cars at the moment, and they're definitely sneaking into BMW's territory of fast and fun sports cars. I remember when Jason Cammisa did an interview about the newest AMG cars, all he had to say was "when did Mercedes learn to shit all over BMW?" that was really saying something considering he use to be a long time BMW lover and still owns his E30 wagon.
The funny thing is, is that I am a BMW fan, prefer the iDrive, layout of controls etc, but they don't do an M3 touring, so it was the C63 S or an RS4 and the V8 and more engaging drive decided it for me.

What I do know is that the new M3 will be great to drive. It just needs to look great too....

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 12:29 PM   #65
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
The funny thing is, is that I am a BMW fan, prefer the iDrive, layout of controls etc, but they don't do an M3 touring, so it was the C63 S or an RS4 and the V8 and more engaging drive decided it for me.

What I do know is that the new M3 will be great to drive. I just needs to look great too....
Didn't consider the B3 or B5?
      10-13-2019, 01:07 PM   #66
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
Quote:

What I do know is that the new M3 will be great to drive. I just needs to look great too....
Didn't consider the B3 or B5?
I didn't, simply because of cost and a lack of availability, but the latest B3 would be worth a drive. Albeit I wouldn't want to buy new again, as the depreciation on the 535 was eye watering.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...frankfurt-show

Less power than the C63 S, but the same torque at 700Nm, but likely to be lighter, so I would guess at a similar power to weight ratio. Almost sold it to myself there!!

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0