BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > anyone cross shop the c7 and m2c?

10-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #23
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Can you be more explicit in what you see as defects or attributes? I am not sure I understand the interior pecking order you provided. What is it that makes the Subaru (assuming WRX) interior so bad and the BMW M2 so premier?

Anymore, the fit an finish on vehicles is so close, you're talking a nth degree here or there unless you're comparing maybe a Fiat against a Maybach. Maybe its the materials you don't like? Are there misaligned trim pieces? Do the buttons or knobs fall off?
i didnt notice any interior defects in any of the cars i mentioned. i just wasnt happy with the material choices, placement of the material choices, and ergonomatics.

All cars are built to a price and all modern cars use a lot of plastic, the germans tend to hide the cheap plastic better and place the nicer materials in more usable and visually appealing areas. The germans just have better execution on interior.

when your use to that level, its hard to go back since you stare and use the interior everyday versus going to a track maybe once a year.

Yes, i do include other things then performance in a $40k-70k range when i'm determining whether i will buy a car. since it will be my only car.

i owned a bunch of japanese and german cars...and only one american car. i always wants a high displacement v8...but the c7 didnt do it for me.

i have hope for the c8...seems like gm stepped it up a lot in terms of performance, interior and design. i havent had a chance to check out any of the demo models in real life though.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #24
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Did you ask why the Corvette doesn't make a good DD? I have never driven one. Is the suspension too stiff? The M2 is not really all that comfortable either.
Nah, it was just a brief interaction before I went into the theater. I suspect a lot of it had to do with how wide and low the car is. We were in the city and I live in the City so i'm sure he was looking at it from the perspective of being in traffic a lot and having to maneuver in tight spaces.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 01:18 PM   #25
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
i disagree with your assessment with the interior. i sat in a c7, when i thought about getting a used grand sport... i couldn't live with that interior it reminded of maybe slightly one step above a subaru interior and below a higher end accord.

the m2 interior sucks compared to other bmw models but i would say it still above the c7.

I like the M cars because the interior is still decent, it can carry 4 ppl and has a full size usable trunk. If i wanted a true sports car, i would get a cayman or i would stretch and just get used r8 or lambo.

It goes back to my previous statement there different class of cars...not really fair to compare them unless your only looking at price.
You are entitled to your opinion. Nothing wrong with disagreeing with others.
But the fact there actually are people cross-shopping these two cars doesn’t change.
I was trying to explain it to you that some people, unlike you, don’t think the m2 is more ‘luxury’ than the Vette.
Your original statement ‘There not really cars that get cross shopped unless your only looking at price.’ is what some of us strongly disagree with.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #26
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
You are entitled to your opinion. Nothing wrong with disagreeing with others.
But the fact there actually are people cross-shopping these two cars doesn’t change.
I was trying to explain it to you that some people, unlike you, don’t think the m2 is more ‘luxury’ than the Vette.
Your original statement ‘There not really cars that get cross shopped unless your only looking at price.’ is what some of us strongly disagree with.
both of us are entitled to our own opinions, i stated mine. GM even stated the corvette is marketed as a affordable super car..it wasnt designed to be a luxury car it was designed from the ground up to be a sports car that competes against a ferrari for 1/3 the price.

You can read a bunch of Bob Lugtz interviews on the corvette, he stated many times that has always been the primary philosophy of the corvette.

The GM production manager even stated majority of c7 buyers were repeat customers..from previous corvette generations.

It also one of the reasons they dropped the manual for the c8 as there take rate started dropping as there primary buying demographic has been aging other then traffic in larger cities.

GM stepped up on the c8 to also bring a newer and younger demographic.

So my statement holds true for the majority of buyers..your entitled to your opinion but your in the minority of buyers.

The c8 might prove differently given the pics i've seen so far..but only time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #27
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
both of us are entitled to our own opinions, i stated mine. GM even stated the corvette is marketed as a affordable super car..it wasnt designed to be a luxury car it was designed from the ground up to be a sports car that competes against a ferrari for 1/3 the price.

You can read a bunch of Bob Lugtz interviews on the corvette, he stated many times that has always been the primary philosophy of the corvette.

The GM production manager even stated majority of c7 buyers were repeat customers..from previous corvette generations.

It also one of the reasons they dropped the manual for the c8 as there take rate started dropping as there primary buying demographic has been aging other then traffic in larger cities.

GM stepped up on the c8 to also bring a newer and younger demographic.

So my statement holds true for the majority of buyers..your entitled to your opinion but your in the minority of buyers.

The c8 might prove differently given the pics i've seen so far..but only time will tell.
You have a good point about the Corvette buyers.
GM is trying hard to draw more younger buyers because current Vette owners are aging and won’t be here forever (sorry).
So what demographics do you think they’re trying to sway away from buying other cars and steer them towards the Vette?
Yes, it’s the imports fan. Sporty imports buyers they’re trying to steal.
Just go read the M2 vs. section and you’ll see just how many people are thinking of switching over to the C8.

Whether you like it or not, both the M2 and Vette are cross-shopped vehicles because they’re both fun-to-drive, not-so-practical 2-door coupe.
Your statement may be true for Vette vs. a Lincoln Aviator.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #28
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
You have a good point about the Corvette buyers.
GM is trying hard to draw more younger buyers because current Vette owners are aging and won’t be here forever (sorry).
So what demographics do you think they’re trying to sway away from buying other cars and steer them towards the Vette?
Yes, it’s the imports fan. Sporty imports buyers they’re trying to steal.
Just go read the M2 vs. section and you’ll see just how many people are thinking of switching over to the C8.

Whether you like it or not, both the M2 and Vette are cross-shopped vehicles because they’re both fun-to-drive, not-so-practical 2-door coupe.
Your statement may be true for Vette vs. a Lincoln Aviator.
c8 is mid engine car with a v8 and around 500hp..its offering same price as a ferrari 430. a used ferrari f430 is still going for 80k used and that car is around 10yrs old.

people are interested in the c8 more because they look at it as a cheaper base ferrari / audi r8 with similar looks for 20k-200k cheaper with GM reliability and leases.

also from the initial videos GM has signifcantly upped the interior and there allowing customization of the interior similar to what you can get in a ferrari.

The mid engine part of it ups the prestige and there's not too many ways you can design a mid engine car so it has element from other exotics in it.

I already said the c8 can be a game change but we're talking about a c7.

from the GM Production managers interview...he didn't state which demographics there going for, but merely aiming for younger and lot richer. That was also one of the reasons they went mid engine.

the production managers joke was when a young 20 something silicon valley kid sells his startup for $1 billion, they want him buying a corvette instead of a ferarri or porsche.

There aiming to compete more against ford gt and base ferarri buyers and maybe some porsche gt3 buyers.

there going to have the camaro compete against the mustang and challengers and offering the base corvette keep the current corvette buyers happy. GM does a pretty decent job in paying attention to the corvette community in general.

i try to look at every car by its attributes and cost not by brand.

so far BMW M cars offers the best combo for looks, performance, interior, utility and price.

If i didnt need the 4 seats and trunk, i would've just leased a cayman...the cayman lease is cheaper then the m2c lease lol.

Last edited by TemjinX2; 10-10-2019 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #29
SCM2016
SCM2016
Rep
Drives: M2C 2019

I guess I have successfully cross shopped the M2 and C7. I have both a 2016 C7 Z06 manual convertible and a 2019 M2C manual. As you would expect I think both are great cars but which is better depends on how you want to use it.

Daily driving: I prefer the M2C as a fun daily driver with fantastic visibility, great seating position, it receives less attention (which I think is a positive), and while I don’t need the back seat I do appreciate the trunk and fold down rear seats. I don’t daily drive the Corvette but I think you could except for snowy winters. The Corvette ride is much more compliant (in tour mode) than the M2C and I think it is also more comfortable for long trips. However, neither is what I would call a truly practical and really comfortable daily driver.

Going out for a pleasure drive: A Z06 manual convertible with 650 hp and the top down is really tough to beat when I just want to go for a drive on a nice day.

Track: I track the Z06 (I bought the convertible before I started tracking cars, but I have found plenty of opportunities to track it) and have also had the M2C out on a track. The Z06 is a considerably faster and demanding car on a track and I clearly do not have ability or courage to drive it to its limits. But its acceleration, handling and braking on a track are special. The M2C seems easier to drive closer to its limits and I have really enjoyed it on the track. It a great track worthy small sports coupe but it is not at the same level as the Z06 on a track.

Interior: I prefer the driver focused interior of the Corvette, but frankly I am not very particular. We have owned other German luxury cars and I notice more about their interiors before I buy them and then I don’t really care much after that.

Technology: The Corvette is clearly on top. Magnetic ride control that really goes from quite soft to track stiff, HUD, Performance Data Recorder, rev matching that you can turn on or off with a flip of a paddle, configurable dashboard…

Exterior: It is just your personal choice.

Maintenance: No problems with either.

If you are looking to buy either car you are you should end up pretty happy.
Appreciate 3
cptobvious2531.50
Moflow2484.50
baege1332.00