KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
As noted, the seat design and seams of the F8X (M3/4/2C) front seats, rather than the quality of leather, is what is causing the mild waves in the driver's seat. The same waves occurred in my F80 M3, with the "higher quality" Merino leather.

Meanwhile, my 2002 M5 (which has the highest quality Nappa Heritage leather) and 2007 Z4M coupe (Nappy leather) do not have the ripples...but it is because of the seat design/seams.

Anyway, it didn't bother me in the M3 and it doesn't bother me in the M2C. I agree that one of the appeals of the M2C is that you are only paying for performance, which is rare these days.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 06:29 AM   #46
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Why is it you can spend half that and get decent leather from another auto manufacturer?
I’ve had too many to count and most have only started to show wear 3+ years old.
My new ~$43K ‘10 135i with Dakota never did that during the 3.5 years I had it...
      10-10-2019, 09:04 AM   #47
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
Why is it you can spend half that and get decent leather from another auto manufacturer?
I've had too many to count and most have only started to show wear 3+ years old.
My new ~$43K '10 135i with Dakota never did that during the 3.5 years I had it...
Because they cheap out on other parts or aspects? The M2 focuses on performance for the money and less on creature comforts. If you want creature comforts you picked the wrong car
Appreciate 1
M2Cnme33.00
      10-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #48
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
As noted, the seat design and seams of the F8X (M3/4/2C) front seats, rather than the quality of leather, is what is causing the mild waves in the driver's seat. The same waves occurred in my F80 M3, with the "higher quality" Merino leather.

Meanwhile, my 2002 M5 (which has the highest quality Nappa Heritage leather) and 2007 Z4M coupe (Nappy leather) do not have the ripples...but it is because of the seat design/seams.

Anyway, it didn't bother me in the M3 and it doesn't bother me in the M2C. I agree that one of the appeals of the M2C is that you are only paying for performance, which is rare these days.
Agree. And to put this in context, you could be spending alot more money on other cars with similar (or even worse leather issues) than the Dakota leather in the M2C. I dont find the leather bad at all and I own alot more $$$$ vehicles from a owners experience stand point as well as being a 20 year PCA certified concours judge and participant/winner. The Dakota is by no means a top grain leather but it isnt as bad as what some feel they deserve in a $65k performance vehicle. You should see some of the lower grade interiors and leather/simulated leather in 996/997 entry level interiors. You will think your Dakota leather is top shelf durable. Just because the Dakota leather has a top coat doesn't mean you dont condition it. Corvette and many of the domestics have used a lot thinner/cheaper top coat leathers. Without getting into a detail clinique, you need to use a quality leather treatment and clean often because its the fine dirt that wears your leather like sandpaper. Clean it and condition it often.

Bolster seat wear is a sign of friction getting in and out of the car incorrectly. You can drastically reduce this wear with how you get in and out.

Last edited by MystroX5; 10-10-2019 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 3
Moflow2484.50
cptobvious2531.50
Poochie9103.00
      10-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #49
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Agree. And to put this in context, you could be spending alot more money on other cars with similar (or even worse leather issues) than the Dakota leather in the M2C. I dont find the leather bad at all and I own alot more $$$$ vehicles from a owners experience stand point as well as being a 20 year PCA certified concours judge and participant/winner. The Dakota is by no means a top grain leather but it isnt as bad as what some feel they deserve in a $65k performance vehicle. You should see some of the lower grade interiors and leather/simulated leather in 996/997 entry level interiors. You will think your Dakota leather is top shelf durable. Just because the Dakota leather has a top coat doesn't mean you dont condition it. Corvette and many of the domestics have used a lot thinner/cheaper top coat leathers. Without getting into a detail clinique, you need to use a quality leather treatment and clean often because its the fine dirt that wears your leather like sandpaper. Clean it and condition it often.

Bolster seat wear is a sign of friction getting in and out of the car incorrectly. You can drastically reduce this wear with how you get in and out.
As someone who hasn't owned a car with leather seats since he was a dumb teenager and didn't give a crap, how often would you suggest cleaning and conditioning the leather in your M2C?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:22 PM   #50
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post

As much as I hate my dealer for not replacing my worn seats, I know I'm partially responsible, even if it had better leather, simple because of how it naturally wears. The friction from your pants or jacket slowly etches the top layer of its leather skin.

If you ever try to clean the seats with any kind of abrasive material, you can clearly see the color transfer, below the clear-coat. It's the same concept, except it's unwittingly friction from your clothing.

I don't fault BMW of the use of a lower-grade hide, in exchange for keeping the vehicle reasonable affordable.

With the rising cost of production, the demand to keep MSRP mentally static and still remain profitable with rising inflation is a juggling act. Its not a betrayal but a calculated economic decision, so I don't take it personal.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:27 PM   #51
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
As someone who hasn't owned a car with leather seats since he was a dumb teenager and didn't give a crap, how often would you suggest cleaning and conditioning the leather in your M2C?
It depends how dirty your cloths/environment is. If you drive with your windows down and get in all sweaty, etc... Once a week with wiping down the seats and condition every month. If its really hot out and your car sits in the sun, you can condition once a week as the UV and heat is brutal on leather. Only condition after you just clean your seats. Putting conditioner on slightly dirty seats only traps dirt and compounds the problem. The take away is if you get in and know you are dirty, wipe it down right after with a clean damp wash cloth. the key is to get that dirt off the seats asap. treat it like your paint.

There are alot of really good leather cleaners and conditioners. The oem BMW stuff is rather good. Never use junk stuff designed for leather and plastic. Silicon is terrible for leather.

I highly recommend Sonax leather cleaner and Sonax leather conditioner. I use it on my ivory Merino full leather interior and my M2C, Porsche 911, wife's Audi, etc... Its the best premium product that works on every type of leather and is easily found at a reasonable price point.

Get the complete kit for the best deal.
https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-premium-leather-kit.html

It is amazing on my new ivory Merino interior.

I like Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil on my classic 911 seats where time really pulls the oils out of the seats. I would not recommend it for new car leather. Not yet.

Those are 31 year old original seats. This is one of my 911 concours cars.

Sonax is better around Alcantara but try not to get any on the alcantara door panels on the M2C.

One of my little more modern 911's. No bolster wear on the seats. If you get in and out correctly it greatly eliminates that wear point.

Last edited by MystroX5; 10-10-2019 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 5
cptobvious2531.50
Moflow2484.50
Robin_NL8714.50
Sedan_Clan24973.00
      10-11-2019, 08:44 PM   #52
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

The M2C is my first German car, my first premium class vehicle.

To me, the balance between luxury and sportiness is just right.

I feel like I got my money’s worth!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 03:50 AM   #53
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Looks like an ingress/egress issue to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 10:57 AM   #54
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post

Of course, I'm not a heavyweight and I am well-practiced at the "art" of the butt-first at 90 degree angle (bypassing the bolster) and then rotating legs into the the cabin...

GL!
haha, this is exactly what I do as well!

Last edited by MMMBRAP; 11-03-2019 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #55
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
As much as I hate my dealer for not replacing my worn seats, I know I'm partially responsible, even if it had better leather, simple because of how it naturally wears. The friction from your pants or jacket slowly etches the top layer of its leather skin.

If you ever try to clean the seats with any kind of abrasive material, you can clearly see the color transfer, below the clear-coat. It's the same concept, except it's unwittingly friction from your clothing.

I don't fault BMW of the use of a lower-grade hide, in exchange for keeping the vehicle reasonable affordable.

With the rising cost of production, the demand to keep MSRP mentally static and still remain profitable with rising inflation is a juggling act. Its not a betrayal but a calculated economic decision, so I don't take it personal.
I hate to say this, but the dakota is great leather. I have seen this exact spot fall on Dakota, Novillo, and Merino leather. Those dam bolsters just get in the way.
Poochie9103.00
Supernaut391.00