BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Is sport plus too sensitive? (DCT)

10-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #1
MartyE12345
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp AW, S2000

Is sport plus too sensitive? (DCT)

I was wondering if anyone else had the same experience as me. I’ve been spending more time driving the car in sport plus / dct (manual shift mode) / with traction off. If I let off the gas at all in first and get back on it the car seems to buck a little bit, kinda like when you are learning to drive for the first time. Even if I try to give it slow gradual acceleration it has done it and is very hard to drive smooth. Obviously I have no problems if I just mash the gas 100% and go through the gears. I have a hard time driving the car smooth in these settings, and like to think I am a fairly experienced driver and drive manuals as well. Anyone else have this issue? Or feel the sport plus in these settings is to sensitive?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #2
waldrops
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyE12345 View Post
I was wondering if anyone else had the same experience as me. I’ve been spending more time driving the car in sport plus / dct (manual shift mode) / with traction off. If I let off the gas at all in first and get back on it the car seems to buck a little bit, kinda like when you are learning to drive for the first time. Even if I try to give it slow gradual acceleration it has done it and is very hard to drive smooth. Obviously I have no problems if I just mash the gas 100% and go through the gears. I have a hard time driving the car smooth in these settings, and like to think I am a fairly experienced driver and drive manuals as well. Anyone else have this issue? Or feel the sport plus in these settings is to sensitive?
Sport+ isn't meant to necessarily be smooth. I just throw it in comfort if smooth is what I'm looking for
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
Triple Seven
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i, 2020 M2C (sold)

In general I've found this isn't the easiest car to drive. But so fun. The little burst of gas it gives right as you come to a stop is weird.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 07:03 PM   #4
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

OP, I felt the same way for literally the first year of ownership.

Drove in Sport but found Sport+ too jerky and generally unpleasant.

Decided to try it again at the beginning of the summer and found it to be much smoother.

Is that due to a years worth of experience with this car or further break-in (17k). Could be a combination or my imagination but I exclusively drive it in Sport+ these days once it's warmed up. Occasionally pop it to Comfort if I'm going trough a long stretch of heavy traffic.

Should note - my car is DCT.

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 08:00 PM   #5
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by particulardude View Post

Decided to try it again at the beginning of the summer and found it to be much smoother.

Is that due to a years worth of experience with this car or further break-in (17k). Could be a combination or my imagination but I exclusively drive it in Sport+ these days once it's warmed up. Occasionally pop it to Comfort if I'm going trough a long stretch of heavy traffic.

same.

I started mostly with Sport because Sport+ felt too twitchy... but now after the summer, i've tried Sport+ and it felt smoother but more aggressive, so now I usually drive in Sport+. Except when kids are in the car, which I drive in Efficient mostly lol

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2019, 12:49 AM   #6
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyE12345 View Post
I also found the throttle response too sensitive in sport+ on the track, it's hard to modulate the accelerator exiting from the corners, much better in sport. But in sport+ you have the additional cooling that can be useful on the track.
Even the dct in mode 3 is too abrupt, it can compromise the traction in the gear change, better in mode 2.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 05:29 AM   #7
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I've gotten very comfortable with the throttle in Sport+ and the Transmission set to "2". 3 on the DCT is too aggressive for general wandering about in auto mode (when I use it). I'm not really happy with the throttle on Efficient and Sport mode, neither of them feel that natural even after 8600 miles and 13 months. I don't know if that's just me or some bit of learned instinct from so many years of manual Integra's and RSX's from '94 to '13. I got used to the Sport+ throttle, even in traffic, very quickly.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 06:45 AM   #8
pizza240
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Yes. On a bumpy road on light throttle the bumps might cause me to get on throttle just slightly to accelerate more than I wanted, then my foot would lift slightly off throttle due to the new forward momentum of the car. Causes some 'bouncing'. A chain reaction of sorts. Always happens to me on specific roads/specific bumps. Only solution is to give more throttle or switch to Sport. More throttle not always OK in a residential area. I like the extreme character of Sport+.
Appreciate 3
HSM2C17.00
cptobvious2531.50
      10-08-2019, 07:16 AM   #9
MartyE12345
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp AW, S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza240 View Post
Yes. On a bumpy road on light throttle the bumps might cause me to get on throttle just slightly to accelerate more than I wanted, then my foot would lift slightly off throttle due to the new forward momentum of the car. Causes some 'bouncing'. A chain reaction of sorts. Always happens to me on specific roads/specific bumps. Only solution is to give more throttle or switch to Sport. More throttle not always OK in a residential area. I like the extreme character of Sport+.
This is exactly what I was trying to portray, I would get some bouncing. I would lift off slightly and get the “bounce” because it is super sensitive. It happened with someone in the car and was pretty embarrassing.
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
pizza240796.00
      10-17-2019, 02:17 PM   #10
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Doesn't seem sensitive to me at all. SP on my '15 M4 was much more sensitive.
      10-17-2019, 02:36 PM   #11
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

yeah it happens to me. its worst when starting at a turn, but basically throttle is very sensitive, you hit it and foot comes up a bit as part of acceleration, that decelerates and it sets up a tank-slapper between foot and gas.. once you get out of first it's fine. I learned to be super light on it and shift almost immediately on rolling into second. OR I hit the M1 button which is comfort/mild shifting and its much smoother
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 11:03 AM   #12
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
I think this is a S55 thing - I've had the same experience with my F80. It almost looks like you're trying to learn how to drive a manual transmission.

I find that it happens more often when the car isn't yet up to temperature and in Sport + on the throttle, manual shifting on the DCT.

Doesn't seem to happen nearly as much once the engine is hot though - at least to me. I have also adjusted to the way the Sport + throttle behaves over time as well...
HSM2C17.00
      10-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #13
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by particulardude View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
same.

I started mostly with Sport because Sport+ felt too twitchy... but now after the summer, i've tried Sport+ and it felt smoother but more aggressive, so now I usually drive in Sport+. Except when kids are in the car, which I drive in Efficient mostly lol
Sounds like adaptations.
Appreciate 0