BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Another AP Racing by Essex Radi-CAL Brake Kit option- in red, black, or silver paint!

01-15-2020, 10:10 AM   #1
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Another AP Racing by Essex Radi-CAL Brake Kit option- in red, black, or silver paint!

Hello Gents,

In 2019 AP Racing granted Essex Parts Services exclusive North American distribution rights for their “Road Car” line of brake products. Previously, Essex was AP’s exclusive distributor for their Competition line of products, but we did not have access to Road components. AP had a separate distributor on the west coast handling their Road Car products, but that relationship is no more. Essex is now the exclusive North American Distributor for ALL AP Racing products, road and competition. In summary, if you reside in North America and want an AP Racing product of any sort, it will come through Essex.

What does this mean for North American enthusiasts?

It means that you’re now going to have a lot more choices when customizing your car! Our AP Racing by Essex Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits have become the gold standard for drivers participating in HPDE, time trials, and club racing. Now we’re taking our gained knowledge from that arena and professional motorsports and applying it to a more road-oriented product that many of our customers have been seeking.

Haven’t we already seen AP Racing brake kits that use road components?

Our goal with our new ‘Road Brake Kit’ product line is to provide our customers looking for a slightly less hardcore brake kit with the same outstanding ownership experience that our Competition Brake Kit owners have come to enjoy. That means our clients can now expect a properly designed brake kit that seamlessly bolts to the car, integrates smoothly with vehicle systems, performs incredibly well, provides years of trouble-free service, and retains a great deal of value. It also means you’ll have a product that is backed by Essex’s over-the-top customer support, as well as fast and easy access to reasonably priced spares.

AP Racing is in complete support of our brake kit program and have authorized Essex to offer our kits through their global distribution network.

So, what exactly are we talking about?

When you want to stop your car, and everyone walking past it! AP Racing by Essex Road Brake Kits are the finest systems available for enthusiasts wanting to run their car on both the street and track. While some of our more hardcore customers favor our track-focused AP Racing by Essex Competition Brake Kits, others are looking for something with more street-friendly features such as dust boots, painted calipers, and stock-like NVH levels. For these customers the Road Kits are the perfect fit, as they are equally at home on the daily commute or at the occasional track day.
The specification of these systems varies by application, but some general features and benefits include:

The specification of these systems varies by application, but some general features and benefits include:
• Carefully chosen piston sizes for proper brake bias and integration with OEM master cylinder & ABS systems
• Painted calipers with dust boots add durability in inclement weather conditions
• Low noise, vibration, and harshness for a very OE-like experience during daily driving
• Front kits are designed to mate with stock rear brake components or our rear AP Racing solutions
• Larger than stock discs to improve system thermal capacity and fade resistance, while increasing longevity
• Calipers feature extremely large pads that last a long time and hold heat well
• Lightweight, anodized aluminum disc hats and caliper mounting brackets
• Optimized to allow for a wide range of wheel fitment
• Ferodo DS2500 Brake Pads and Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines included with every kit
• All associated mounting bolts, hardware, and detailed installation instructions

How are these different from your current Essex Competition Brake Kits?

Whether you're looking for the most gorgeous brake package to fill up your 20" wheels, or you're trying to cut every hundredth of a second from your lap times, Essex has an AP Racing Brake Kit to fit your needs. Essex offers AP Racing Brake Kits in two main varieties, Road and Competition. How you plan to use your car will determine which product category best suits your unique needs. The owner profiles below will help guide you towards your best fit. However, please keep in mind while reviewing these profiles that you'll likely fall somewhere between these two owner types. That's completely normal, and is true with most of our clients. You'll just have to decide where your priorities lie, and where you want to take your car. If you're curious about how a certain type of kit performs in the real world, you can always find tons of owner reviews and feedback on our Essex Blog.

AP Racing by Essex Road Brake Kits

If several of the bullet points below describe your relationship with your car, an AP Racing by Essex Road Brake Kit is likely your best choice.

• I drive my car on the road the majority of time, and only take it to the track once in a while
• I want big discs that fill up my wheels, and I want painted calipers that turn heads and get attention
• I don't want my brakes to make any more noise than my stock brakes
• I sometimes drive my car in wintry conditions, and my local roads are salted to melt ice
• I'm not terribly concerned about saving every ounce of weight possible
• I don't need 50 different race pad choices, and I don't plan on swapping pads all that often

AP Racing by Essex Competition Brake Kits

If several of the bullet points below describe your relationship with your car, an AP Racing by Essex Competition Brake Kit may be in your future.

• I spend as many weekends at the track as possible, and driving my track car on the road bores me to tears
• Component durability and keeping my brake consumable costs low will be crucial to the long-term success of my marriage
• I'm okay with a few squealing and scraping noises from my brakes, because race car!
• I don't drive my car on salted winter roads, because that's why winter beaters exist
• I want to save every ounce of unsprung weight, and I've even gone on a diet to bring my race weight down
• I'll be wrenching on my car fairly often, and I want tons of brake pad options

You can see a chart that compares our Road and Competition Kits if you scroll down here:
https://www.essexparts.com/big-brake...-right-for-you

Enough of that...show me the goodies for my M2 already!!!

Click these links to see the front and rear kits on our website:

Front AP Racing by Essex CP9561/380mm Road Brake Kit

Rear AP Racing by Essex CP9541/380mm Road Brake Kit

Feel free to fire away with the questions gents, and as always, thank you for your continued support!

I don't have any good shots of them on the M2 currently, but here are some on an F82 and E92:

Last edited by jritt@essex; 01-15-2020 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
mcvaughan702.00
      01-16-2020, 10:56 PM   #2
Bill in Marin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp, 1974 Alfa GTV

I kinda want to meet the person who buys a $10K brake kit for their completely stock E92 convertible.

That aside, your kits are on my mods wishlist. More options = more better, but 19's OK with 380mm?
Appreciate 1
pattymtb136.50
      01-17-2020, 07:12 AM   #3
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Marin View Post
I kinda want to meet the person who buys a $10K brake kit for their completely stock E92 convertible.

That aside, your kits are on my mods wishlist. More options = more better, but 19's OK with 380mm?

Hahaha...some people want the baddest 'vert they can possibly have, and our brakes certainly help them get there.

"More options = more better"
I like that, and amen! Our clients use their cars in such a wide variety of ways, and we're constantly trying to listen to their needs and provide appropriate solutions.

I should have wheel fitment templates very soon. I'll post them as soon as I have them. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 03:04 PM   #4
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
I have shared my interest via a friend and I am looking forward on fitting this kit.

Question is how much space is there on the M2C between the brake caliper and a 19 inch FI R wheel?

I f**ked a front wheel two weeks ago and I have to spend a serious amount of money to buy a new one now, because a stone got stuck between the stock M Sport caliper and the wheel.

I don't want to have this happening again, so this brake kit seems to be the solution.

MR
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 01:38 PM   #5
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
I have shared my interest via a friend and I am looking forward on fitting this kit.

Question is how much space is there on the M2C between the brake caliper and a 19 inch FI R wheel?

I f**ked a front wheel two weeks ago and I have to spend a serious amount of money to buy a new one now, because a stone got stuck between the stock M Sport caliper and the wheel.

I don't want to have this happening again, so this brake kit seems to be the solution.

MR
I'm working on an answer for you, and getting the wheel fitment templates uploaded. In the meantime, a couple more pics from last week. The car looked tough as hell when it was done! Thanks for your patience.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 02:06 PM   #6
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

Here are the wheel fitment templates for the F87:

Front AP Racing by Essex Road Brake Kit for F87 BMW Wheel Fit Template

Rear AP Racing by Essex Road Brake Kit for F87 BMW Wheel Fit Template
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #7
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Thanks for this, not sure I will have the time to measure it. My car is in storage until the 25th of Feb and I would like to fit the car on the 27th if we manage to get it to Europe in time.

Is this the only way to find out if this kit fits with an FI R wheel? I might have to ask BBS to print it and measure it accordingly.

MR
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 06:51 AM   #8
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

I talked to my engineers about the OEM 19" wheel. They believe our front Road Kit will clear. The stock F80 caliper extends out considerably further vs. our setup from the wheel center line, so we definitely freed up some spoke clearance.

The only way to be absolutely certain however is to use the wheel template. Your wheel supplier could help as you noted. Or, I'm sure another forum member here would be willing to check for you. Maybe ask one of our customers. There are several threads started by owners of our AP Racing by Essex brake systems. If you do have someone check, please have them take a picture. Once documented we will add it to our wheel fitment database. Since this product is so new we just haven't had anyone document the OEM wheels yet unfortunately. When we have vehicles come in for test fit, they don't always have stock wheels on them. Sometimes the owner brings a stock wheel if they still have them.

Thanks so much, and please let us know if you need anything else in the meantime.
Appreciate 0