BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > BMW M2 sunroof option

07-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #23
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I would prefer a carbon fiber roof, but if I can't get one I would absolutely take the sunroof.

1. Carbon Fiber Roof
2. Sunroof
3. No roof
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #24
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euromeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris
I'm all in for the sunroof here in the uk.
Me too! All my old E30 M3's had a sunroof as standard !
I must admit that I loved the sunroof on my E30 M3 which was a daily driven street car and then I sold it and got a track rat and never used it on that car.

Since the m2 is available in certain countries with a roof I think it should be an option in North America as well.

Due to concerns for headroom with a helmet on, I'm happy my 1M doesn't have a sunroof and also wouldn't have ordered an M2 with a roof.

It does make sense for the people that use the car as a daily driver to have this option (along with DCT).
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #25
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
There is a place in Atlanta that installs custom sunroofs. It actually looks and works well, with no leaks. The dealer had it installed in my last car, and I drove it for two years with no problems. What I didn't like about it was, it made creaking noises, going up and down my driveway, which is on a hill. I never got that on my E36 m3, which had a factory sunroof. I would love a sunroof on a M2 but could live without it since I like the car so much, and I wouldn't add one if not available from the factory.

It would be nice if it were an option. It's just ones of those unnecessary things IMO that some of consumers - who want a sunroof - must deal with. You can order a Porsche 911 with a sunroof in the U.S. and I'm quite certain a lot of purists purchase that car.

Anyway, it will be a year at a minimum before I can even get an M2 so, I'm not sure I should even worry about it.
Yep, my wife had a sunroof added to a Mazda 3 many years ago. Couldn't tell that it wasn't a factory option.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #26
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

I want a sunroof! Just checking out the Golf R, no sunroof on it either!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #27
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Yes please get a sunroof option so that you might forget they didn't make a carbon roof standard.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #28
damills
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Petiton

I revised the original post and added a petition you can sign or dont sign, I really do not see why a person who wants to track the car care if his neighbor gets the same identical BMW M2 but with a sunroof, tracking alone will decrease the value if you car. This also not a BMW 1M which was unique and correct me if I am wrong but 740 units going to the United States and they are still re-selling very well at high prices. I personal do not think the M2 will hold its value like the 1M but that is my opinion.

I have been on several boards over the last 20+ years and never really unstood what "tracking" the car meant. Someone please explain who has tracked their car, what does it mean.

I also dont understand why other buyers care what options are offered and why BMWNA has took such a hard stance on this "purist" car theme. Do they think this will keep the value of the M2 high in later years, IMO the car is going to be sold for model years 2016-2020, not really a limited car as the 1M.

I would like to here something out of BMWNA than purist car, the real reason they are not adding a sunroof, there has to be morer to it and they might mid-year 2017 and model years 2018-2020.

There also rumors of a M2 grand coupe and M2 GTS coupe, what more could you ask for?

I hope everyone gets a carbon fiber roof who wants one.

But now, after Canada added the option 403 Sunroof for 2017, the USA is the only country in the world w/o a sunroof optoin for an additional cost, that. I also seen where someone stated Mexico get a sunroof and DCT as standard options, I have looked at importing from Canada by have a friend purchase it but to export would have to change out the speedo due km/h vs mi/h, just a hazzle on handling and shipping as well

Hope other options are added like a carbon roof, sunroof and individual sound system, like it much better than the M3/M4, reminds me of my E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 05:27 PM   #29
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by damills View Post
I revised the original post and added a petition you can sign or dont sign, I really do not see why a person who wants to track the car care if his neighbor gets the same identical BMW M2 but with a sunroof, tracking alone will decrease the value if you car. This also not a BMW 1M which was unique and correct me if I am wrong but 740 units going to the United States and they are still re-selling very well at high prices. I personal do not think the M2 will hold its value like the 1M but that is my opinion.

I have been on several boards over the last 20+ years and never really unstood what "tracking" the car meant. Someone please explain who has tracked their car, what does it mean.

I also dont understand why other buyers care what options are offered and why BMWNA has took such a hard stance on this "purist" car theme. Do they think this will keep the value of the M2 high in later years, IMO the car is going to be sold for model years 2016-2020, not really a limited car as the 1M.

I would like to here something out of BMWNA than purist car, the real reason they are not adding a sunroof, there has to be morer to it and they might mid-year 2017 and model years 2018-2020.

There also rumors of a M2 grand coupe and M2 GTS coupe, what more could you ask for?

I hope everyone gets a carbon fiber roof who wants one.

But now, after Canada added the option 403 Sunroof for 2017, the USA is the only country in the world w/o a sunroof optoin for an additional cost, that. I also seen where someone stated Mexico get a sunroof and DCT as standard options, I have looked at importing from Canada by have a friend purchase it but to export would have to change out the speedo due km/h vs mi/h, just a hazzle on handling and shipping as well

Hope other options are added like a carbon roof, sunroof and individual sound system, like it much better than the M3/M4, reminds me of my E46 M3
They just mean driving it on a race track. Some taller drivers don't have a lot of headroom with a sunroof because of the extra few inches of space it takes up. It makes it even harder with a helmet. I'm 5'9" so I have plenty of room. It looks like we are the only two to sign so far. I personally could live without the sunroof, but having one would make me enjoy the car even more. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes with what they want on their cars. I'm probably in the minority in that I could care less about the M2 having a carbon roof, but if they added one, it would be cool.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #30
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

NO SUNROOF!! More weight, less headroom.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 05:33 PM   #31
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3
I want a sunroof! Just checking out the Golf R, no sunroof on it either!
Hmmm...could it be that both are Track Focused vehicles?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 09:22 AM   #32
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

My thought is, I can have just as much fun, should I decide to go to the track with a closed moonroof vs. having a solid roof.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 10:22 AM   #33
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 BSM MT

Quote:
My thought is, I can have just as much fun, should I decide to go to the track with a closed moonroof vs. having a solid roof.
+1

I was torn about getting one or not because while I wanted one, many have said it could hurt resale (for tracking reasons, headroom etc) but at the end of the day, I'm not going to configure a car for the purposes of something that will only happen 4-5 years from now, or perhaps even longer or never!. I'm going to configure a car the way I want it NOW, period.

Last edited by Dabozo; 07-16-2016 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 10:11 PM   #34
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
I must admit, even though my other cars have a sun/moonroof and I hardly ever use it, if the option were available on the M2 I definitely would have paid for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 10:10 AM   #35
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

any news on this ? I would definitly take the sunroof.
this is not a competition track car, the sunroof will not impair the fun in any ways.
It could be a problem for driver above 6ft tall with the helmet but I doubt it.
Anybody could chime in on how much head clearance they have with a helmet on ?
I agree it varies based on torso lenght but still for everyday driving sunroof is nice ! I loved it in our 1-series.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #36
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

I hate a sunroof in my car… I had a sunroof in 2 BMW's (did not have choice when buying). Never used the roof and both of them made wind noise when the car got older and did not work correctly. I'm more of an all or nothing kind of guy…meaning; I will buy a convertible instead of a car with a sunroof!
      08-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #37
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
You can order a Porsche 911 with a sunroof in the U.S. and I'm quite certain a lot of purists purchase that car.
The time that only purists buy a Porsche is already long gone…
      08-18-2016, 01:48 AM   #38
damills
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
It would be an option means if you order it, sunroof may cost $1500 extra
If you dont choose the option, you get the same exact car offered now, So why do you care what you neighbor down the street or across the country gets a sunroom but he had pay $1500 for that extra option, why does it matter to you if its an options

If you dont order sunroof, get the same car ordering now, for those ordering a sunroof as an option (forget person height, center of gravity, etc) they will get a sunroof and would pay $1500 extra for the car.

I dont see why any cares what anyone else orfers on their bmw, right now it has heated steering wheel, i dont want it but its standard so I have to take it, I just want me make the sunroof an $1500 option so I can have it if I want.

Why does it matter to you, shouldnt, you dont pay his bills.

ITS AN OPTION ONLY, PICK IT, PAY $1500 and get a SUNROOF, DONT PICK IT YOU GET THE SAME CAR OFFERED IN THE US OR OFFERED RIGHTM MO
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2016, 04:56 AM   #39
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damills
Quote:
If you dont choose the option, you get the same exact car offered now, So why do you care what you neighbor down the street or across the country gets a sunroom but he had pay $1500 for that extra option, why does it matter to you if its an options

If you dont order sunroof, get the same car ordering now, for those ordering a sunroof as an option (forget person height, center of gravity, etc) they will get a sunroof and would pay $1500 extra for the car.

I dont see why any cares what anyone else orfers on their bmw, right now it has heated steering wheel, i dont want it but its standard so I have to take it, I just want me make the sunroof an $1500 option so I can have it if I want.

ITS AN OPTION ONLY, PICK IT, PAY $1500 and get a SUNROOF, DONT PICK IT YOU GET THE SAME CAR OFFERED IN THE US OR OFFERED RIGHTM MO
Glad you got that out. Feel better now?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 07:24 AM   #40
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5
Quote:
Originally Posted by damills
Quote:

Glad you got that out. Feel better now?
Probably not, because it's still one of the few M cars you can't get a moonroof in ( in North America ).

I had a sunroof on my first E30 M3 and enjoyed it a lot. My second E30 M3 was a track car that had a roll cage that was right in front of the button and the sunroof was always closed.

M3s in E36, E46, E90, and F80 guise all have sunroof available in the US. Thankfully the 1M did not as it *actually* is a purist car and was able to be ordered as a stripper.

Someone at BMW NA apparently thought the removal of the sunroof option would allow the M2 to be considered a purist type car

The M2 is advertised by BMW NA as a purist car but is so loaded up with creature comforts and tech ( and SOFT brake pads! ) that they might as well have made the sunroof an option for those that want it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #41
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
Did the 1M have a sunroof option?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 05:45 AM   #42
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields
Did the 1M have a sunroof option?
Nope
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 03:46 PM   #43
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Each and every time I get into my 1M, I look up to open the sunroof - alas, it is still dark up there and in the car.

I would gladly pay $1,500 for the sunroof on my new M2 and it is not fair that we don't get this option in the US and every other country does.

Remember - option, we want it as an option not standard...please please please!
Appreciate 2
ried793.00
Morbo3.00
      08-20-2016, 09:33 PM   #44
M///Fanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E83 X3, F87 M2, 17' i3 REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999
Each and every time I get into my 1M, I look up to open the sunroof - alas, it is still dark up there and in the car.

I would gladly pay $1,500 for the sunroof on my new M2 and it is not fair that we don't get this option in the US and every other country does.

Remember - option, we want it as an option not standard...please please please!
Agreed, definitely would pay for the option. I wish I could add to my build!
ried793.00