BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M3C Vs M2 CS

04-28-2023, 07:21 PM   #1
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

M3C Vs M2 CS

So, I’ve had a G80 M3C for two years, 6k miles. Love the car, drives very well. Cabin is a lovely place to be. 4 doors, ticks a lot of boxes. I know the looks are subjective, I like the car from most angles but some others less so.

I’ve had a bit of an itch to change and was looking at some 911’s but the back seats are really non existent so it’s probably not a great idea.

Enter the M2CS. I started thinking about one a while back. Prices went utterly insane but I can trade my M3 in now plus $10k and get an M2 CS

My thoughts are it’s a more rare car, classically better looking, the reviews are stellar and it will hold its value much better than a G80 which is likely to drop like a stone in the ocean over the next while when things normalise as they’ve already started to.

Any one have any thoughts on this? Good idea? Bad idea?

Obviously would be moving ‘back’ to an F chassis/engine. The s55 is a beast. F series interior is more Spartan than the G

Will I miss anything? Will it feel like going backwards in a way but forwards in others?

I know I’m asking a biased crew here but interested in some subjectivity!
Appreciate 2
RideM317.00
F87EVO4033.00
      04-28-2023, 08:41 PM   #2
///MPECABL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

I currently have an M2CS. This is my first true M car and I was shopping HARD for all sorts of options and was dead set on a 911. I really wanted to move to something with a back seat that allowed for the kids to come with me more and still felt small, sporty and special. The M2CS was actually such a corner case in the envelope of M2’s that it brought me in fast after just starting to look at M2C cars initially. Honestly, I bought the car as soon as I found one and dropped my deposit on a 2015 911 GTS and an allocation for a 2022 992 GTS. I sometimes question my decision as a 911 is on my bucket list, but it’s a brilliant automobile and it feels special to drive now that I’ve done a few things to make it mine. The feel will be very different than your M3C, but it’s a person decision for sure.

I love the car and my mind floats all over the place in owning things… Says something that I’m finding it hard to believe I’ll ever “want” to get rid of it for the 911 I’ve always wanted, but maybe one day I’ll find the strength!
      04-28-2023, 08:43 PM   #3
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
As a fun car (and I’ve only owned the G82 CSL, not the regular car), I’d go with the M2 CS. It’s just great, I loved mine and would love to have it back.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 09:02 PM   #4
barryc365
Major
Rep

I should add, my car prior to the M3C was an E46 CSL. Then, I didn’t have any car for a few years and then bought the M3C. I’m kind of hoping the M2CS gives me a little bit of CSL vibes. Similar proportions to the e46 and still a little bit of an analogue feel without too much comforts but just enough. Driver focussed fun car

I think my mind is kind of made up if I can do a good deal on one.

My wife wants me to get the DTC ‘just in case’ she needs to drive it which I’m ok with but ideally would get a manual for the raw feel that I haven’t had for a long time. DTC sounds like a good unit in this car though so 1st world problems for sure
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 12:15 AM   #5
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Just be aware that after you go to an M2CS the stable additions bar will be raised because it's so capable and practical. It's fun to take to the track. It's not gt3, but gives me a gt3 light feeling when compared to a 2015ish gt3. Just enough creature comfort to not want more, but spartan enough to seem like it means business. I have two child seats in the back. Seats fold down for when my oldest wants to pack her color guard flags. Another downside is that you won't want to trade it in for something else. You'll want to add vs swap . I don't think you can go wrong with a 911. Especially if you love the look. I didn't like the stock shifter in the CS and upgraded that almost immediately. Did the cdv delete and added the UCP. The stock exhaust sound leaves a bit to be desired, but an exhaust upgrade helps with that. I think you could get a CS now and the value will hold well enough that you could sell it later as 911s soften. If you don't track I'd get a CCB car. White with CCB is super rare combo in the US.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 12:38 AM   #6
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
I would not trade the G80 for a M2 CS. I think the M2 would feel more lively and fun at times since it’s smaller, but there’s pros and cons both ways. Sometimes the smaller size is better, then at other times you would want a bigger car that still maintains its sportiness.

I think the M2 CS is really really cool but it’s overpriced for me. Even new at 86k (roughly). I don’t want the CS guys to give me the cold shoulder here, but if the CS was the same price as the new M2, I’d take the new M2 without a seconds thought based on the tech and updated engine/transmission for the automatic version.

So for me, if it’s new M2 versus G80, as a weekender, it’s a tough call. I like the xDrive option for the G80 and for the RWD owners I like the second gear launch control as well. I’d also prefer the G80 looks wise and with the extra interior space over the new M2 and the older ones.

The real answer here is if the G80 isn’t doing it for you, I’d get a C8 Z06. If you want a manual, I’d do the C7 Z06. They’re not the best to daily but for a pure weekender, they’re probably the best performance wise and they’re still usable and fun.

C8 Z06> G80 (I like the extra comfort over the C7 Z06)> C7 Z06> new M2> M2 comp (just because it’s 30-40k less than a CS)> M2 CS last in this group of cars
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 02:03 AM   #7
Beenz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2CS

I really thought we had moved past the ‘overpriced’ opinions. Time and driving has proven the CS as worth every penny and more. Quite a few of us actually had an M2 Comp prior, so it just doesn’t hold true that the CS is ‘not worth the extra’.

OP, all of your thoughts as to reasons why you should get one are spot on. Especially so if you previously had the M3 CSL, it’s as close as you will get to that.

Losing comfort access takes an adjustment but I am surprised how much I don’t miss it. The sound is fine but not mind blowing so don’t set high expectations. That’s pretty much the only things to be aware of. It’s all amazing otherwise. Including the DCT, it is magic in the CS.

Buy it and enjoy. No regrets, guaranteed.
And as noted will hold value so you can always move to P cars later. Or just add more to the collection 😄
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 03:29 AM   #8
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
The g80 felt like a boat to me. The CS is 200-400 lbs lighter than the g80 depending on rwd/xdrive. At the time I test drove it, I was daily driving a f82 m4 for comparison. I know the g8x platform has a lot of potential out of the box and the s58 is superior but the car is significantly more numb in it's feel. If you miss your e46 then like others said, the CS is as close to it as a modern bimmer gets. Plus, it's the last dct and I just enjoy it way more compared to an auto. I drive mine in manual mode 90% of the time. I'll be holding on to mine for a little while longer. Maybe add something to it next year.
Appreciate 2
Jimjamz4581.50
barryc3651956.00
      04-29-2023, 06:32 AM   #9
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I just don’t view the G80 as a weekend car because it’s gotten so large, it’s more of a GT car than anything else. That’s just my opinion.

What keeps me from the CS is the needless deletion of features that don’t really save weight but give the illusion of “racecar”, namely comfort access and manual climate control.

That being said the CS is still the choice for a weekend car.
Appreciate 1
jefe2000739.50
      04-29-2023, 06:47 AM   #10
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
I just don’t view the G80 as a weekend car because it’s gotten so large, it’s more of a GT car than anything else. That’s just my opinion.

What keeps me from the CS is the needless deletion of features that don’t really save weight but give the illusion of “racecar”, namely comfort access and manual climate control.

That being said the CS is still the choice for a weekend car.
This is my only car, my wife has a 3 row SUV for the kids but essentially the G80 is my daily driver, not a weekend car, I just don’t do a lot of miles working from home or else I have an uber bring me to client meetings. The CS would be the same, ‘daily driver’. Probably 3k a year max.

I don’t think of the M3 as a GT car at all. It’s large and heavy yes but it’s very fast and handles very well so depends how you define a GT. I think of a GT as a Continental GT or an Aston V12 or something. Much more of a comfortable luxury fast car but not something you would take to a race track really. M3 is very fast around a track.

I saw an interesting video on the weight savings, the guy (Harry Metcalf, Harry’s Garage on YT) actually ran the numbers on the weight savings and actually weighed the car. He said the CS is up to 90 KG lighter than the Comp depending on brakes, gear box etc and the weight is way over stated by BMW for some reason.

The stuff they added back is no where near what has been removed
4mins in
https://youtu.be/C9CUkonyIZs

Edit: read your point again about the illusion of race car. I know what you mean. Those things seem a little pointless but there are genuine saving also. Keyless entry would be nice and not adding much weight I assume
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
F87EVO4033.00
      04-29-2023, 06:52 AM   #11
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
This is my only car, my wife has a 3 row SUV for the kids but essentially the G80 is my daily driver, not a weekend car, I just don’t do a lot of miles working from home or else I have an uber bring me to client meetings. The CS would be the same, ‘daily driver’. Probably 3k a year max.

I don’t think of the M3 as a GT car at all. It’s large and heavy yes but it’s very fast and handles very well so depends how you define a GT. I think of a GT as a Continental GT or an Aston V12 or something. Much more of a comfortable luxury fast car but not something you would take to a race track really. M3 is very fast around a track.

I saw an interesting video on the weight savings, the guy (Harry Metcalf, Harry’s Garage on YT) actually ran the numbers on the weight savings and actually weighed the car. He said the CS is up to 90 KG lighter than the Comp depending on brakes, gear box etc and the weight is way over stated by BMW for some reason.

4mins in
Sorry I misunderstood…that being said I would not daily a CS, the G80 would be the easy choice if it were me.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 06:58 AM   #12
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Sorry I misunderstood…that being said I would not daily a CS, the G80 would be the easy choice if it were me.
‘Daily’ being a very loose term. Some times that means driven twice a week, some times 5 times but generally low miles but My drive to get a gallon of Milk is about 12 mins on sweeping undulating smooth rural roads. It’s like a mini Nurburgring coffee run

I don’t use the back seats much so driving the CS ‘daily’ over a G80 is the same thing to me

It’s not a daily commute in traffic, ever!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 07:10 AM   #13
NYNick
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 74 tii 78 SC 20 M2CS

The M2CS marks a moment in time. There is no doubt it is special and in limited numbers and has held it's value pretty well. It's pretty unique and enthusiasts know what it is an appreciate it. It's also a bit of a sleeper, looks wise.

911's will always be around to purchase. There are thousands of them for sale. Every car guy should own one at least once in their life. Which one to buy is the real question.

I've had many, air cooled and water cooled, but the CS is a different animal and there are only 589 in the US.

(BTW, you raise my curiosity on the 'sweeping undulating smooth rural roads' in NYC...I'm guessing you really live in Westchester or NJ. What road are you referring to?)
Appreciate 1
barryc3651956.00
      04-29-2023, 08:44 AM   #14
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
C8 Z06> G80 (I like the extra comfort over the C7 Z06)> C7 Z06> new M2> M2 comp (just because it’s 30-40k less than a CS)> M2 CS last in this group of cars
OP, take the opinion of those who don’t own a CS with caution, especially if they’ve never driven one. Also, not forward looking enough to consider cost of ownership. I could break even on my CS after 2+ years if I sold it tomorrow.

The G80C and F87 CS are very different cars. I’d imagine although the CS can run a sub 12 sec quarter mile, it may feel a little underpowered in comparison to the G80C.

Definitely not as much tech but everything I need with Apple CarPlay and love the traditional gauges. I chose a 6MT, but I’ve driven other DCTs and they are great. I haven’t driven the G80, but the CS is so much more predictable than my F80C.

I’ve still never seen another F87 CS on the road, which is kind of nice.
Appreciate 3
barryc3651956.00
Tornado1M1211.00
omak81148.00
      04-29-2023, 09:38 AM   #15
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
The M2CS marks a moment in time. There is no doubt it is special and in limited numbers and has held it's value pretty well. It's pretty unique and enthusiasts know what it is an appreciate it. It's also a bit of a sleeper, looks wise.

911's will always be around to purchase. There are thousands of them for sale. Every car guy should own one at least once in their life. Which one to buy is the real question.

I've had many, air cooled and water cooled, but the CS is a different animal and there are only 589 in the US.

(BTW, you raise my curiosity on the 'sweeping undulating smooth rural roads' in NYC...I'm guessing you really live in Westchester or NJ. What road are you referring to?)
I’m actually way out in Connecticut now, moved in October

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
OP, take the opinion of those who don’t own a CS with caution, especially if they’ve never driven one. Also, not forward looking enough to consider cost of ownership. I could break even on my CS after 2+ years if I sold it tomorrow.

The G80C and F87 CS are very different cars. I’d imagine although the CS can run a sub 12 sec quarter mile, it may feel a little underpowered in comparison to the G80C.

Definitely not as much tech but everything I need with Apple CarPlay and love the traditional gauges. I chose a 6MT, but I’ve driven other DCTs and they are great. I haven’t driven the G80, but the CS is so much more predictable than my F80C.

I’ve still never seen another F87 CS on the road, which is kind of nice.
I hear you man, wouldn’t be seen dead in a Corvette lol!

Not too worried about straight line speed. One problem with the G80 is it’s actually too fast for the road most of the time. Rarely stretches it’s legs or reaches full potential without getting in a lot of potential trouble

Ideally would have a manual but sounds like I may need to do DTC

The G80 has much better traction that the F80, it’s really a great car to be fair. Not twitchy at all. Confidence inspiring
Appreciate 1
mfarrzhp1491.00
      04-29-2023, 04:45 PM   #16
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:

4mins in

Edit: read your point again about the illusion of race car. I know what you mean. Those things seem a little pointless but there are genuine saving also. Keyless entry would be nice and not adding much weight I assume
Well , who knows the real reason BMW over stated the weight of the M2 CS. Maybe because the M4 CSL was on the way and if the M2 CS was stated at 1430kg then the M4 CSL would sound like a lot at 1650kg ? Or maybe people would be mad if they knew that the M2 CS had 300kg/661lbs compared to the new M2 G87.

The praise it got from literally everyone that drove it .. And lets not forget the EVO car of the year award , in which its score is amongst the best - and with insane competitors like the 765LT for instance !

As a friend above mentioned , most of us were already M2 owners N55/Comp. The car feels a lot different in comparison. In my eyes BMW used its magic to create this little coupe.. I don't think anyone disagree , Chris Harris even got one when at first he had a different opinion. He drove one , and loved it.

In 1986 BMW created a legend called the E30 M3 , a car that proved to everyone what BMW was capable for . Once the legend of the M3 was created , all M3s were selling like hotcakes. The same goes with the F87 M2 imo , and the CS is the Sport Evo of its era. I bet the new M2 will sell even better, as it has a very strong nameplate now and its well established in the market and amongst enthusiasts.

I strongly recommend you to go for it ! The image below was created by a friend on instagram and it shows the scores of each car in the EVO car of the year from 2019 until 2022. I think it speaks for itself.

*I can't believe there are still people saying the M2 CS is still overpriced when you can literally get the G87 M2 ''base'' with a similar pricing - 85k to 77k (without any m performance parts )
Attached Images

Last edited by F87EVO; 04-29-2023 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 5
M3R12168.50
Jimjamz4581.50
Davil6524.50
thrilla123.50
      04-29-2023, 11:22 PM   #17
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Not much to add to the great comments already on this thread, but having owned both cars I can confidently say M2cs all day, every day. Best car I've owned and I've owned some fast cars.
Appreciate 2
barryc3651956.00
F87EVO4033.00
      04-30-2023, 12:48 AM   #18
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
The G80 is an amazingly capable car, very fast point to point, beautifully made, but just not that fun to drive. It sort of drives for you.

The CS is just way more fun. You’ll lose a lot in refinement, and will feel and hear so much more of what’s going on, but the engagement in driving more than makes up for it. If you appreciate those qualities then it just puts a smile on your face that the G80 simply can’t. Some might find those qualities annoying, others will adore them.

So it comes down to what floats your personal boat.
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4033.00
      04-30-2023, 05:02 AM   #19
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87 M2 CS View Post
Well , who knows the real reason BMW over stated the weight of the M2 CS. Maybe because the M4 CSL was on the way and if the M2 CS was stated at 1430kg then the M4 CSL would sound like a lot at 1650kg ? Or maybe people would be mad if they knew that the M2 CS had 300kg/661lbs compared to the new M2 G87.

The praise it got from literally everyone that drove it .. And lets not forget the EVO car of the year award , in which its score is amongst the best - and with insane competitors like the 765LT for instance !

As a friend above mentioned , most of us were already M2 owners N55/Comp. The car feels a lot different in comparison. In my eyes BMW used its magic to create this little coupe.. I don't think anyone disagree , Chris Harris even got one when at first he had a different opinion. He drove one , and loved it.

In 1986 BMW created a legend called the E30 M3 , a car that proved to everyone what BMW was capable for . Once the legend of the M3 was created , all M3s were selling like hotcakes. The same goes with the F87 M2 imo , and the CS is the Sport Evo of its era. I bet the new M2 will sell even better, as it has a very strong nameplate now and its well established in the market and amongst enthusiasts.

I strongly recommend you to go for it ! The image below was created by a friend on instagram and it shows the scores of each car in the EVO car of the year from 2019 until 2022. I think it speaks for itself.

*I can't believe there are still people saying the M2 CS is still overpriced when you can literally get the G87 M2 ''base'' with a similar [...]
Wow. These score comparisons really do align to the commentary that emerged at the time. It was hard to find a hater among those that drove the car. And when compared to very positive feedback on looks and curb appeal - you knew M was on an all-time winner.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4033.00
      04-30-2023, 08:59 PM   #20
JD_M2D2
In the garage
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS

Quote:

My wife wants me to get the DTC ‘just in case’ she needs to drive it which I’m ok with but ideally would get a manual for the raw feel that I haven’t had for a long time. DTC sounds like a good unit in this car though so 1st world problems for sure
Opportunity to teach her to drive and/or get comfortable driving a manual?
      05-02-2023, 03:37 PM   #21
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_M2D2 View Post
Opportunity to teach her to drive and/or get comfortable driving a manual?
I chose DCT for that reason. The fact the car has some quirks like rolling back at lights after the two second automated brake delay threw her however, and now she doesn’t drive it at all. For my largely weekend driving, I’d get the manual if I could do it again. That said the DCT is excellent, particularly if you’ll be manually shifting and not using it in full auto mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 04:14 PM   #22
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

I can tell you that these manuals are way easier to drive than the old ones we may know…. Including anti-stall function, meaning if it stalls and you press the clutch it restarts immediately, hill decent control, huge power band for higher gears, etc. Very easy to learn and teach!
Appreciate 1
jefe2000739.50