BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - California > PPF, Paint Correction, Ceramic shops in SGV recommendations?

05-11-2021, 11:18 AM   #1
AJAXF1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp HKS

PPF, Paint Correction, Ceramic shops in SGV recommendations?

I should take delivery of my HKS M2C in early June so I am looking for recommendations for full PPF, paint correction, and ceramic shops in SGV / Pasadena area.

I've looked at VIP Auto Customs and like their work but they appear to not have an M2 in their photos: https://www.yelp.com/biz/vip-auto-customs-pasadena-3

Any recommendations or contacts are appreciated!

Edit: Also, should I look for shops that do pre-cut or custom PPF? I am not sure on the advantages of either.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 01:36 PM   #2
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

If you're willing to drive a little
recycledAlva

does PPF and Ceramic

he uses Kavaca PPF
https://ceramicpro.com/kavaca/
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 02:05 PM   #3
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I took my car to envious detailing as they offered custom install rather than precut. Just depends how much you want to spend but custom is always best. They are in Anaheim though so I had to Uber myself back and forth. They took about a week but I did a full car clear bra. My car should be in their IG.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 03:04 PM   #4
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

I'm in Monrovia, and took my CS to Extreme Autowerks down in Brea. If you wanted to come and take a look at the quality of the wrap, swing by. They used Prestige ClearGuard ALPHA for me

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 02:14 PM   #5
recycledAlva
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 BSM M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
congrats on the new car!

Yup - my shop does ppf, coatings and vinyl work. I've worked on a handful of M2s.

Custom Bulk install is an options along with adjusted pre-cuts for better coverage. There are pros and cons to each one

custom cut installs: They achieve great coverage but at the end of the day it comes down to the skill level of the installer. Since it is a custom cut there is the risk of cutting into the paint - though a skill installer will be able to avoid this completely. Another 'con' is that removal and replacing of the film in incidents where it gets damaged is a bit more in depth and can take a little longer to turn around.

Pre-cuts: there are so many levels of precuts these days that you can almost get comparable coverage to a panel that was done 100% custom. In these cases you basically add so much excess to the film that you end up trimming almost as much as you would with a custom install which poses some of the same risks of cutting into paint. There are kits with extended edges that don't need to be trimmed but you sacrifice a little bit of coverage and may have some exposed edges and corners.

There's always a price difference between full custom, custom pre-cuts and off the shelf pre-cut kits and it typically comes down to budget and how much coverage you'd like to achieve
      05-16-2021, 02:21 PM   #6
AJAXF1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp HKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledAlva View Post
congrats on the new car!

Yup - my shop does ppf, coatings and vinyl work. I've worked on a handful of M2s.

Custom Bulk install is an options along with adjusted pre-cuts for better coverage. There are pros and cons to each one

custom cut installs: They achieve great coverage but at the end of the day it comes down to the skill level of the installer. Since it is a custom cut there is the risk of cutting into the paint - though a skill installer will be able to avoid this completely. Another 'con' is that removal and replacing of the film in incidents where it gets damaged is a bit more in depth and can take a little longer to turn around.

Pre-cuts: there are so many levels of precuts these days that you can almost get comparable coverage to a panel that was done 100% custom. In these cases you basically add so much excess to the film that you end up trimming almost as much as you would with a custom install which poses some of the same risks of cutting into paint. There are kits with extended edges that don't need to be trimmed but you sacrifice a little bit of coverage and may have some exposed edges and corners.

There's always a price difference between full custom, custom pre-cuts and off the shelf pre-cut kits and it typically comes down to budget and how much coverage you'd like to achieve
Nice, thanks for the info. I think I'd prefer custom ppf as I want the most complete coverage. Riverside is a bit far for me what's your shop name though?
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2021, 03:01 PM   #7
recycledAlva
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 BSM M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAXF1 View Post
Nice, thanks for the info. I think I'd prefer custom ppf as I want the most complete coverage. Riverside is a bit far for me what's your shop name though?
Yup! Bulk/oversized kits are the way to go.

My shops name is Vaia Design you can check us out on IG

If you have any other questions i'm always happy to help offer some info!
      05-21-2021, 07:25 PM   #8
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
I used Champion PPF.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/champion-pa...ion-la-verne-2

He's the one who shops contract out to do PPF like G5 tint shop. If you see his IG, you'll see the background of some of the shops he works for.

He's also mobile which is great. Didn't need to drive my car out to get PPF done, was protected before I needed to drive far.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0