Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

BMW M2 Competition vs Tesla Model 3

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Ahhh, snowy roads, the natural habitat of the M2C.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #3
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Just bought a Model 3 company car - consider me majorly impperessed !
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 06:02 PM   #4
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Electric torque will always win. Just wait for Porsche and BMW in a few years down the road.
      12-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #5
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Where's the asd when you need it?😁
Appreciate 3
akkando5863.00
Robin_NL8717.00
dmboone254972.00
      12-15-2018, 01:09 AM   #6
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Did several Model 3 test drives including an overnight Performance version. The instant torque is really fun, autopilot would be a life saver in bumper to bumper commuting traffic but the rest of the car is underwhelming.
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00
      12-15-2018, 08:57 PM   #7
BLU135i
Senior Chief Petty Officer USN
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Electric torque will always win. Just wait for Porsche and BMW in a few years down the road.
As long as whatever BMW comes up with doesn't look like the i3.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #8
mlx.milano
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Cool.. in the next episode we compare the M2C with a Dyson V10.
Appreciate 5
Poochie9104.50
cptobvious2531.50
TF24.50
Dabozo624.50
      12-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #9
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Looks like a suicide machine on the inside. Or at least it looks like it may inspire it.
He called the interior brilliant. Really, brilliant?
But the exterior is nice, nice and suppository looking. I'm amazed people are buying these. I'd rather drive a 99 accord for the rest of my life
Appreciate 5
      12-18-2018, 09:37 PM   #10
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by six-n-twins53 View Post
Looks like a suicide machine on the inside. Or at least it looks like it may inspire it.
But the exterior is nice, nice and suppository looking. I'm amazed people are buying these. I'd rather drive a 99 accord for the rest of my life
You're dumb if you'd rather drive a 99 accord for the rest of your life. Go drive one of these cars. They are ugly and have spartan interiors but they drive well for a daily driver and have crap tons instant of torque at any speed.

The Performance model I test drove beat my buddy's DCT Pure Stage 2 F80 M3 from a dig and 20 roll to 100 easily.
Appreciate 4
chris7197334.00
Venom375.00
AndrewC198910931.00
      12-18-2018, 10:12 PM   #11
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by six-n-twins53 View Post
It's not brilliant. The seats need more bolstering, and everyone I heard said they wanted a HUD. But what all people who never tried it get hung up on - the single screen as the interface - is indeed the future. Live with it for a week, then try going back to a legacy interface, BMW or anything else, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Remember BlackBerry and all its customers who said they'd never switch to iPhone because it had no keyboard?
Quote:
But the exterior is nice, nice and suppository looking.
Form follows function. Suppositories have that shape so they can better slide up your ass. Teslas have that shape so they can better cut through the air at 80mph. This is a part of the reason a Model 3 can run at 250Wh/mile while every other brand struggles breaking 400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
You're dumb if you'd rather drive a 99 accord for the rest of your life. Go drive one of these cars. They are ugly and have spartan interiors but they drive well for a daily driver and have crap tons instant of torque at any speed.
They drive well, period. A friend who has a BSP E36 M3 and a C6 Z06, and is one of the best auto-x drivers in the region, after trying my Tesla is now begging me to bring it to an event once the next season starts in the spring. And that's a non-P.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      12-18-2018, 10:14 PM   #12
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

lol the interior is good? Not sure if trolling.

Good UI/UX in a car does not mean slapping a huge tablet to the front and calling it progress. The vent system is pretty neat I give it that but the rest of it? not sure if serious.

That interior is abysmal for a 60k+ car. ABYSMAL.

Should I even bother mentioning the exterior? It looks and screams econobox, which feels bad for a 60k+ car.

Dont get me started on the elitism around protecting the environment while driving a 60k+ car
Appreciate 2
      12-18-2018, 10:36 PM   #13
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
It's not brilliant. The seats need more bolstering, and everyone I heard said they wanted a HUD. But what all people who never tried it get hung up on - the single screen as the interface - is indeed the future. Live with it for a week, then try going back to a legacy interface, BMW or anything else, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Remember BlackBerry and all its customers who said they'd never switch to iPhone because it had no keyboard?
Form follows function. Suppositories have that shape so they can better slide up your ass. Teslas have that shape so they can better cut through the air at 80mph. This is a part of the reason a Model 3 can run at 250Wh/mile while every other brand struggles breaking 400.

They drive well, period. A friend who has a BSP E36 M3 and a C6 Z06, and is one of the best auto-x drivers in the region, after trying my Tesla is now begging me to bring it to an event once the next season starts in the spring. And that's a non-P.
Blackberry, just lmao.

That could of been said for people to switch to Windows Phone but where is that? Oh yeah dead dawg.

"Why are you using that iPhone, switch to Windows Phone its the future...do you want to be the next Blackberry?" LOL

The single table is not the future. Do you think BMW Engineers are too stupid to slap on a tablet that a bunch of college grads at Tesla figured out? LOL

Aero is aero, but dont tell me the car looks good. This is almost as bad as a Prius.

Legacy interface, lmao.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 12:10 AM   #14
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post

People don't like change, even if the future is staring them in the face. A lot of these things have to be experienced before people understand. It's hard to convey how good Tesla's electric drivetrain is without experiencing it. Same thing with the infotainment system. Yeah, touchscreens suck for certain controls like climate, but Tesla's system shows how poor the rest of the automotive industry still is at software.

BMW has to update your software/firmware at a dealership and it can take hours. Tesla can push an OTA update to add features or fix a bug whenever they please.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 12:15 AM   #15
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshalygin View Post
Blackberry, just lmao.

That could of been said for people to switch to Windows Phone but where is that? Oh yeah dead dawg.

"Why are you using that iPhone, switch to Windows Phone its the future...do you want to be the next Blackberry?" LOL

The single table is not the future. Do you think BMW Engineers are too stupid to slap on a tablet that a bunch of college grads at Tesla figured out? LOL

Aero is aero, but dont tell me the car looks good. This is almost as bad as a Prius.

Legacy interface, lmao.
First, your analogy makes no sense. Windows Phone was never touted to be anything. It was a catch-up attempt. You might be confusing it with Windows Mobile.

Second, maybe you should use one before you comment. I am a software and electrical engineer and it is painfully obvious that BMW still sucks at software just like the rest of the car industry. They are about 10 years behind in practice, if not more. It is a legacy interface. That knob IS going away, sooner or later. You see BMW laying the groundwork for it already. Touch controls that look like physical controls in the 8 series, moving the touchscreen closer to the user. BMW is not too stupid to slap on a tablet. They are too stupid to make it work well. They know it right now, too. They are doing their usual orderly transition.

Let me elaborate a bit. The reason most car infotainment sucks is for a number of reasons. First, they treat it like every other component. They outsource heavily and they procure modules from the likes of Bosch. They wait for overpriced modules to be available and because historically these suppliers move slowly, you're getting something old to start. They have improved on this somewhat but even the NVidia Tegra SoC they are using now in the F cars (to my knowledge) is really old and slow. It's basically 2013 Android tablet grade. You won't be able to get a premium experience with it. Finally, they don't have a culture that places enough importance or focus on software. They are a German automaker, which means everything gets done slowly. Software as a focal point and selling point of the automotive experience is new to them. They have, until now, been competing with other companies that work the same way. I expect them to improve with Dieter May leading the efforts, but the corporate culture is going to have to allow them to really bring this stuff fully in-house and take ownership.

Last edited by chris719; 12-19-2018 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 12:50 AM   #16
larry.beck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I believe that most of you disparaging the Tesla don't own one, correct? You're entitled to your opinions, but they are uninformed. Come back to me when you own one and drive it daily and I'll listen. Until then, tell me about the wonderful M2s that you have and I'll be happy to listen.
chris7197334.00
MR_M2519.00
      12-19-2018, 01:22 AM   #17
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
First, your analogy makes no sense. Windows Phone was never touted to be anything. It was a catch-up attempt. You might be confusing it with Windows Mobile.

Second, maybe you should use one before you comment. I am a software and electrical engineer and it is painfully obvious that BMW still sucks at software just like the rest of the car industry. They are about 10 years behind in practice, if not more. It is a legacy interface. That knob IS going away, sooner or later. You see BMW laying the groundwork for it already. Touch controls that look like physical controls in the 8 series, moving the touchscreen closer to the user. BMW is not too stupid to slap on a tablet. They are too stupid to make it work well. They know it right now, too. They are doing their usual orderly transition.

Let me elaborate a bit. The reason most car infotainment sucks is for a number of reasons. First, they treat it like every other component. They outsource heavily and they procure modules from the likes of Bosch. They wait for overpriced modules to be available and because historically these suppliers move slowly, you're getting something old to start. They have improved on this somewhat but even the NVidia Tegra SoC they are using now in the F cars (to my knowledge) is really old and slow. It's basically 2013 Android tablet grade. You won't be able to get a premium experience with it. Finally, they don't have a culture that places enough importance or focus on software. They are a German automaker, which means everything gets done slowly. Software as a focal point and selling point of the automotive experience is new to them. They have, until now, been competing with other companies that work the same way. I expect them to improve with Dieter May leading the efforts, but the corporate culture is going to have to allow them to really bring this stuff fully in-house and take ownership.
1. Show me one auto manufacturer that is using a giant tablet to control everything. They can't all be noobs. I mean if you're a SWE/EE, you surely can't believe that all the best SWE/EE's are working at Tesla(I assure you they're not with their horrible reviews and burnout)

2. 10 years behind? 10 years ago we had the most gaudy "infotainment" systems. This is what the audi a4 infotainment looks like....

3. As a SWE myself, I'm a bit offended

4. The knob is by far the best UX when controlling infotainment. The Tesla does a halfway decent job but its hard to keep your eyes on the road and also control what you need reliably. Can I get used to it? Sure...I am also used to driving while texting, whats your point?

5. BMW Engineers >> Tesla Engineers. If you truly are a SWE(not sure what kind), feel free to read this thread. If this doesnt make you facepalm then I dont know what will.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...404645376.html

6. I agree with you that car manufacturers defer to someone else when it comes to infotainment and just afterthought it. This is where CarPlay/Android Auto come in. Personally Carplay + analog controls is as good as it gets for now without full blown HUD.

7. Tesla is so advanced but wheres the HUD? Yes HUD, one of the most advanced systems with the best UI/UX. Car manufacturers that have brains are developing this further...Tesla? lol

8. I will give Tesla some credit when it comes to Autonomous Driving. They're doing a good job pushing the industry forward here and Auto Pilot is pretty damn awesome.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 01:32 AM   #18
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry.beck View Post
I believe that most of you disparaging the Tesla don't own one, correct? You're entitled to your opinions, but they are uninformed. Come back to me when you own one and drive it daily and I'll listen. Until then, tell me about the wonderful M2s that you have and I'll be happy to listen.
Daily drove the Model S for 2 years.

Ive actually had my car turn off a half dozen times, my window actuator broke twice, and ive had all sorts of creaking noises.

The Model S at least has nice interior(at least I thought so).

The 3 is an econobox with good handling/torque. Cool?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 02:44 AM   #19
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshalygin View Post
4. The knob is by far the best UX when controlling infotainment. The Tesla does a halfway decent job but its hard to keep your eyes on the road and also control what you need reliably. Can I get used to it? Sure...I am also used to driving while texting, whats your point?
Agreed! Knobs and buttons will always be best for the most commonly used functions while driving an automobile cz you can FEEL them without diverting your eyes from the road. Of course, none of this matters much, since the car will be driving itself soon enough.
      12-19-2018, 02:52 AM   #20
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
No one has the right to an uninformed opinion; however, I have SEEN a Model 3, therefore I know I find it incredibly ugly inside and out. The Model S, on the other hand, is a beautiful car - amazing how fugly the Model 3 turned out. The proportions are jacked and that front end...
      12-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #21
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep

Quote:
I've seen everything I need to. Uninformed? Actually quite informed. History will not be kind to Tesla or this model. It will be a joke in automotive history. Like the rocket cars of the 50s. Electric will happen, but not like this. It alienates all but a few consumers. Reliability makes Russian cars look good. I am not uninformed my friend. I read all I can. I do not need to own this experiment to be informed. And back to you, ownership does not make you an authority.

I do not own an m2.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 08:28 AM   #22
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post

The Performance model I test drove beat my buddy's DCT Pure Stage 2 F80 M3 from a dig and 20 roll to 100 easily.
Yes I'm dumb.
I dont care how fast it is.

Last edited by six-n-twins53; 12-19-2018 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0