BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Snow tires on performance cars FTW

View Poll Results: What's your winter driving situation?
I equip my beloved ride with winter tires 65 71.43%
I got a beater 14 15.38%
What the hell is winter?? 12 13.19%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

12-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #23
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Summer tires for summer and winter tires for winter. No other options are worth taking a chance with.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 2
No Boost4019.00
10"4946.00
      12-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #24
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

My winter tires just showed up at the installer... will be put on sat...
      12-06-2018, 06:48 PM   #25
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

Second season of WinterContact SI's. Make you wonder why everyone else is struggling so much.

RWD/6MT/snow is so much fun.
Appreciate 3
No Boost4019.00
10"4946.00
seis-speed2426.00
      12-07-2018, 04:53 AM   #26
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

On my second set of Blizzak WS80 tires. My car is my daily and since owning my car January of 2014 to now have never been stuck in snow. Tires work great. The only issue I have with them is for whatever reason, my car's traction control kicks on frequently with these tires mounted.
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      12-07-2018, 05:09 AM   #27
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
On my second set of Blizzak WS80 tires...The only issue I have with them is for whatever reason, my car's traction control kicks on frequently with these tires mounted.
They're simply less grippy than stickier tires so the computer aids kicking cutting power in are inevitable. It's annoying but important for safe commuting. Without traction/stability control, throttle modulation would be quite taxing on snow covered roads, especially on inclines.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      12-07-2018, 08:57 AM   #28
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

With sports and performance cars it's not just the grip that's the issue, it's the "Everything". Low clearance, slush in the car, salt, kids mucking up the car etc etc etc. I plan on getting a Mustang GT or an older 911 and i will run it as a third car, winter is just too much of a PITA.

Right now i am driving a 9-3 wagon, wife drives X3, both on X-Ice III's. Really like the tyre for Toronto winters, Blizzacks are better in really heavy or icy conditions but for ploughed roads the X-Ice are perfect, excellent wear, drive like a regular tyre nearly, but have that bite you need in winter.
Appreciate 2
No Boost4019.00
Germanauto9665.50
      12-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #29
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
They're simply less grippy than stickier tires so the computer aids kicking cutting power in are inevitable. It's annoying but important for safe commuting. Without traction/stability control, throttle modulation would be quite taxing on snow covered roads, especially on inclines.
I'm wondering if it's more about the deep tread blocks and the number of them to grab onto snow. I'm thinking it might have to do with flexing. The behavior I'm seeing is even at 60+ MPH and cruising if I apply even moderate gas, the traction control kicks in. I have a Dinan S2 tune but I really doubt that is causing any perceived traction problems.

I did turn off the traction control but leaving DSC on a couple of times yesterday. Applying somewhat aggressive throttle but not stuffing the gas produced nice smooth acceleration. At no point did the WS80 tires lose traction. I might just have to drive around with traction control turned off until rain or snow hits.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 05:20 PM   #30
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
People have to get real... Snow tires straight up suck in the dry... Plus they are expensive and wear quickly. I think people are getting brainwashed. When you think about how often you drive in snow and ice it seems totally stupid to put snow tires on a car unless you live in a very snowy part of the world.... and if you live where it gets that snowy you probably should have something more hardcore for those conditions anyway.

My solution is switch out the summer tires for Ultra High Performance All Season category tires when things get cold. If it snows really bad I either hibernate or pull out the beater.

If I handled my 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with mismatched tires (no stability or traction control obviously), with some bags of sand in the trunk and without a cell phone back in the day, I can definitely handle my F30 with UHPAS tires in the snow. Jeez people are pussies these days.
      12-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #31
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

I bought a beater this year after driving mine for 2 years in snow. Main reason being is my drive way gets plowed in and freezes over night, so its solid ice in the morning and then the car is too low to get out or push through. And after switching to a freshly painted new bumper i really rather not throw that money away. Got a 4x4 SUV for $2k including fixing and good winter tires, so i dont feel too bad about my choice. And to top it off the BMW decided to have some problems before I put it away so was pretty good timing
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #32
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
In Michigan of all places, quite the testament.
Michigan is flat though, no elevation to worry of.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #33
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by laszlof View Post
They have a touchless nearby I plan to run through once a week to get salt off. Followed by a waterless wash
Where? Near Royal Oak or the Woodward corridor by chance?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 08:49 PM   #34
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Where? Near Royal Oak or the Woodward corridor by chance?
No. Telegraph and 96. Mattick car dealership has a wash right next to it. Brand new. You can tell the attendant to turn off the brushes for you.

They also have some really nice vacuums there.

I have to drive right by it on my way home from work everyday. Leaves some water spots on the car, but as I mentioned, I'm just going through to get salt off. Will followup with a waterless wash at home.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 09:24 PM   #35
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
People have to get real... Snow tires straight up suck in the dry... Plus they are expensive and wear quickly. I think people are getting brainwashed. When you think about how often you drive in snow and ice it seems totally stupid to put snow tires on a car unless you live in a very snowy part of the world.... and if you live where it gets that snowy you probably should have something more hardcore for those conditions anyway.

My solution is switch out the summer tires for Ultra High Performance All Season category tires when things get cold. If it snows really bad I either hibernate or pull out the beater.

If I handled my 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with mismatched tires (no stability or traction control obviously), with some bags of sand in the trunk and without a cell phone back in the day, I can definitely handle my F30 with UHPAS tires in the snow. Jeez people are pussies these days.
Don't be silly. Snow tires are for cold temps as well as snow. If you think they are only for snow you have no idea what you are talking about...

All seasons are total junk. You're wasting your time and money.
      12-07-2018, 09:25 PM   #36
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:

Don't be silly. Snow tires are for cold temps as well as snow. If you think they are only for snow you have no idea what you are talking about...
Don't be silly... Snow tires suck ass in dry conditions. If you think snow tires perform well in dry conditions you have no idea what you are talking about.

I don't know about you but I drive my BMW in the snow very few days a season. In dry conditions UHPAS are FAR superior to snow tires... plus they are less expensive and have longer wear. Why would I bias my tire choice for <5% of how I use my car? That would be foolish.
      12-07-2018, 10:44 PM   #37
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No. Telegraph and 96. Mattick car dealership has a wash right next to it. Brand new. You can tell the attendant to turn off the brushes for you.

They also have some really nice vacuums there.

I have to drive right by it on my way home from work everyday. Leaves some water spots on the car, but as I mentioned, I'm just going through to get salt off. Will followup with a waterless wash at home.
Ohh that's pretty far. I can't find a touchless place around here.

I just ended up getting the Jax cards from Costco. $100 worth of washes for $75.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 11:50 PM   #38
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
What gets me is people think that salt is going to just automatically destroy your car. While its not great for it, giving it a good rinse-off once a week or so (as needed) and it will be fine. If you leave it on there all winter, then you're going to run into some problems, but the same can be said for any number of road contaminates out there.
Exactly! Unless you have a very old car. Modern cars car panels are pretty well coated/protected and a weekly rinse will do the trick. Make sure you also apply a sealant or wax before winter and you're good to go. I believe in this philosophy and driving my 335is in the snow is so fun.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2018, 12:24 AM   #39
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Exactly! Unless you have a very old car. Modern cars car panels are pretty well coated/protected and a weekly rinse will do the trick. Make sure you also apply a sealant or wax before winter and you're good to go. I believe in this philosophy and driving my 335is in the snow is so fun.
Put a few good coats of wax on the m2 in preparation for the season. Good to go!
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2018, 12:25 PM   #40
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Don't be silly... Snow tires suck ass in dry conditions. If you think snow tires perform well in dry conditions you have no idea what you are talking about.

I don't know about you but I drive my BMW in the snow very few days a season. In dry conditions UHPAS are FAR superior to snow tires... plus they are less expensive and have longer wear. Why would I bias my tire choice for <5% of how I use my car? That would be foolish.
Lol at this.... winter tires are designed for cold conditions (temperature dependent) dry or with snow, if it is cold, winter tires are the correct choice. I do not think I have ever seen tires listed for sale as “snow tires”. If I use your thought process I should cancel my car insurance because I only need it for .001% of the time I am driving... do us all a favor, just stay off the roads when it is snowing or slushy, our insurance rates will appreciate you for doing so.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #41
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
Lol at this.... winter tires are designed for cold conditions (temperature dependent) dry or with snow, if it is cold, winter tires are the correct choice. I do not think I have ever seen tires listed for sale as “snow tires”. If I use your thought process I should cancel my car insurance because I only need it for .001% of the time I am driving... do us all a favor, just stay off the roads when it is snowing or slushy, our insurance rates will appreciate you for doing so.
Quote:

This is true. Winter tires will perform good and thread wear will be within spec when it's dry and the temp is under 8c (46f).

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 12-08-2018 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #42
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Are people really under the false belief that Winter category tires perform well in dry conditions? They simply do not. The sipes and soft compound makes for a dry conditions handling sacrifice I'm not willing to make. UHPAS category tires far outperform Winter tires in the dry. Even saying that, UHPAS feels like my car took off its track shoes for work boots when I swap out my summer rubber.

Winter tires are clearly the best option for snowy conditions, but I simply don't drive in snow often enough to warrant the sacrifice. I suspect that's the case for most people.
      12-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #43
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Are people really under the false belief that Winter category tires perform well in dry conditions? They simply do not. The sipes and soft compound makes for a dry conditions handling sacrifice I'm not willing to make. UHPAS category tires far outperform Winter tires in the dry. Even saying that, UHPAS feels like my car took off its track shoes for work boots when I swap out my summer rubber.

Winter tires are clearly the best option for snowy conditions, but I simply don't drive in snow often enough to warrant the sacrifice. I suspect that's the case for most people.
Are you able to provide any proof to back up your statement?
Continental seems to disagree with you..

Last edited by david in germany; 12-08-2018 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #44
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

No that is false. You keep thinking that what is on the surface is all that matters. It's not!

I agree if you want to run UHPAS all year that is an option as they aim to perform better in winter conditions, but they are still not the best choice.

And in your case, you already have summer tires. Going with UHPAS for your colder/winter times make zero sense as based on North Jersey temperature graphs, you could run your winters from November to April, the temps hits 7c or below + you get some snow.

I've been driving on some Nokian hakkapeliitta and I can still hit my exit curve at 130km/h and the hanlding is stable.

Like I said, I agree above 7c winter tires "melt" their threads. But under those temps, it's perfectly acceptable and is the best option to run a winter tire even without to much snow.
Appreciate 2
10"4946.00