BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > H&R Street Performance Coilover

11-30-2018, 05:26 PM   #1
KayCM2
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

H&R Street Performance Coilover

Just recently installed a set of H&R Street Performance Coilover on my M2. These are only heigh adjustable. Been researching and deciding between springs only, KW HAS kit, Dinan Has Kit, MP Coilovers, BC racing coilovers, and these H&R Coilovers.

For my purpose, I daily drive the car and I rarely see the track. I might do an autocoss couple times a year, but thats it. I had fully adjustable coilovers in my previous rides before and I find that once I set them, I tend to "forget" about them.

So for my purpose, KWv3s, MP coilovers, etc might be overkill for me. I did want to go with the spring only option too, but being a car guy for over a decade, I always know better not to put springs on unmatched dampers. There are also multiple post with folks having springs or spring HAS kits that experience bounciness. The stock dampers/ suspension characteristics are inertially bouncy to begin with. So having springs/ HAS kits will only make matters worse as the stock shocks aren't meant for less travel.

I then found a set of H&R street performance coilovers for $1590 from Tirerack. The price and brand, sat right in the middle of all the options for me. I decided to pull the trigger despite there not being a lot of reviews on them. Did some research online and found out that H&R uses Bilstein dampers, so that is a plus for me as well.

Initial Ride Review

I honestly think they ride better than stock. Its definitely firmer over bumps, but it is not jarring. Some of the backroads that I drive on, in stock form, the car may bounce here and there. With these on, it feels a lot more compliant. Of course, these definitely help reduce body roll too. I did not put a lot of mileage on it just yet, so these are my initial thoughts on them. I will, of course, report back if they are good or bad down the line.

I still need to dial in the ride height once it settles, but here are a couple pics for now.

Last edited by KayCM2; 11-30-2018 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 9
FreeDarko217.00
Dabozo624.50
FIDDIE12.00
HS_M2C118.50
Seagull287.50
      01-08-2019, 12:34 PM   #2
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
nice! i'm thinking about pulling the trigger too as the M Performance coilovers are $700 more
Appreciate 1
HS_M2C118.50
      01-09-2019, 03:32 AM   #3
papertarget
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Lci

Thanks! I just saw these in aus. These are a good 1k aud cheaper than kw ect
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
HS_M2C
Private
Rep
Drives: HS M2C 6MT

Garage List
Thanks for the insight. I have a similar dilemma to what you've had. I was also thinking to just run springs as I only track twice a year but I understand that springs need to match shocks. So I am currently choosing between coils and springs. Good to hear you like them, I haven't seen any one else with these coilovers on the forums which is kind of surprising. Wonder how these compare to Bilstein B16's since they use the same dampers.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 06:32 PM   #5
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_M2C View Post
Thanks for the insight. I have a similar dilemma to what you've had. I was also thinking to just run springs as I only track twice a year but I understand that springs need to match shocks. So I am currently choosing between coils and springs. Good to hear you like them, I haven't seen any one else with these coilovers on the forums which is kind of surprising. Wonder how these compare to Bilstein B16's since they use the same dampers.
I was thinking just springs too. I mean it's only a 1 inch drop or whatever and i'm surprised if the shocks cant take it. that said i had full coilovers on my 135 as i dropped it a decent amount and the ride was still good. i figure since this one's a keeper ill just get coilovers again
Appreciate 1
HS_M2C118.50
      01-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #6
HS_M2C
Private
Rep
Drives: HS M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
I was thinking just springs too. I mean it's only a 1 inch drop or whatever and i'm surprised if the shocks cant take it. that said i had full coilovers on my 135 as i dropped it a decent amount and the ride was still good. i figure since this one's a keeper ill just get coilovers again
I did some more reading around on previous M2 threads about Eibach Springs. It seems like the consensus is that if you plan to track often then it's a better idea to go coilovers. Others also mentioned, it shouldn't really harm dampers much with that mild of a drop and most seem to like Eibachs since the ride is similar to stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #7
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Wow this is a great option it seems! I'm in the same boat... This is my daily but I Auto-X couple times a year and maybe hit the track once a year.

Keep us updated as you put some more miles on them!
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #8
dk23
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 6MT

I'm in for updates as well! I'm in between the BC Racing coilover kit or the KW HAS, but the H&R is definitely a contender as well. Haven't been to the track ever, but was planning on maybe doing my first HPDE/light track day over the summer and not sure how the KW HAS would perform
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #9
F87Cam
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2, 2011 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCM2 View Post
Just recently installed a set of H&R Street Performance Coilover on my M2. These are only heigh adjustable. Been researching and deciding between springs only, KW HAS kit, Dinan Has Kit, MP Coilovers, BC racing coilovers, and these H&R Coilovers.

For my purpose, I daily drive the car and I rarely see the track. I might do an autocoss couple times a year, but thats it. I had fully adjustable coilovers in my previous rides before and I find that once I set them, I tend to "forget" about them.

So for my purpose, KWv3s, MP coilovers, etc might be overkill for me. I did want to go with the spring only option too, but being a car guy for over a decade, I always know better not to put springs on unmatched dampers. There are also multiple post with folks having springs or spring HAS kits that experience bounciness. The stock dampers/ suspension characteristics are inertially bouncy to begin with. So having springs/ HAS kits will only make matters worse as the stock shocks aren't meant for less travel.

I then found a set of H&R street performance coilovers for $1590 from Tirerack. The price and brand, sat right in the middle of all the options for me. I decided to pull the trigger despite there not being a lot of reviews on them. Did some research online and found out that H&R uses Bilstein dampers, so that is a plus for me as well.

Initial Ride Review

I honestly think they ride better than stock. Its definitely firmer over bumps, but it is not jarring. Some of the backroads that I drive on, in stock form, the car may bounce here and there. With these on, it feels a lot more compliant. Of course, these definitely help reduce body roll too. I did not put a lot of mileage on it just yet, so these are my initial thoughts on them. I will, of course, report back if they are good or bad down the line.

I still need to dial in the ride height once it settles, but here are a couple pics for now.

Any follow up report on how these worked out on your car? I'm very interested in them but there are no reviews/info
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 10:08 AM   #10
Sundinisagod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Bumping to see if anyone has more feedback on these?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 11:56 AM   #11
Bavaria330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI AW

I have I used H&R Coilovers in my MX5 and absolutely love them.
Just order them for my M2C
Thanks for posting
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 01:20 AM   #12
Bavaria330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just as expected H&R coilovers did not disappoint. Most underrated overlooked suspension.
Monotube
Great quality
Perfect fit
Approved for use in Germany
Best of all is only height adjustable therefore there be no forever tuning the suspension for me.

Ride is a tad softer than OE, perfectly sprong IMOP
Not bouncy, not jarring. Body roll it's almost gone, there is no diving under hard braking and no squat under power. Even this low it retains full suspension travel.

A total bargain for what you pay.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bavaria330; 11-19-2022 at 01:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 06:54 AM   #13
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavaria330 View Post
Just as expected H&R coilovers did not disappoint. Most underrated overlooked suspension.
Monotube
Great quality
Perfect fit
Best of all is only hight adjustable therefore there be no forever tuning the suspension for me.

Not bouncy, not jarring. Body roll it’s almost gone, there is no diving under hard braking and no squat under power. Even this low it retains full suspension travel.

Spacers on that car?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 09:07 AM   #14
Bavaria330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortSides View Post
Quote:
Monotube
Great quality
Perfect fit
Best of all is only hight adjustable therefore there be no forever tuning the suspension for me.

Not bouncy, not jarring. Body roll it’s almost gone, there is no diving under hard braking and no squat under power. Even this low it retains full suspension travel.

Spacers on that car?
Tires 255 front 275 rear
5mm spacers all around. Could possibly get a 10mm but it would be close.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 01:44 PM   #15
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Overlooked because they are only height adjustable, and few people who are going to drop the car want that.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 07:28 AM   #16
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Quote:
Overlooked because they are only height adjustable, and few people who are going to drop the car want that.
What do you mean they are "only height adjustable."

Isn't that a good thing? Is there something they don't do that's implied in that message?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 08:41 AM   #17
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:

Isn't that a good thing? Is there something they don't do that's implied in that message?
If you're after a drop, most guys get springs, it's the cheapest option. It's a BAD option on the F87 because it puts the stock suspension out of its operating range, and kills your shocks/struts post haste, but guys do it anyway.

Most guys wanting coil-overs are wanting to control the damping, which can vastly improve the ride, or performance on track.

To buy a full set of coil-overs just for the height adjustment is smart because you're not killing your ride with the stock shocks/struts, but you're missing out on the control over ride or performance...and paying nearly the same price.

For this reason the most popular suspension for the F87 is the MPS, and will always be. It helps that it's recommended by BMW, but it's just a less expensive version of the KW (and made by KW).
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 11:46 AM   #18
Bavaria330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Quote:

If you're after a drop, most guys get springs, it's the cheapest option. It's a BAD option on the F87 because it puts the stock suspension out of its operating range, and kills your shocks/struts post haste, but guys do it anyway.

Most guys wanting coil-overs are wanting to control the damping, which can vastly improve the ride, or performance on track.

To buy a full set of coil-overs just for the height adjustment is smart because you're not killing your ride with the stock shocks/struts, but you're missing out on the control over ride or performance...and paying nearly the same price.

For this reason the most popular suspension for the F87 is the MPS, and will always be. It helps that it's recommended by BMW, but it's just a less expensive version of the KW (and made by KW).
Different priorities.

I Will never do springs only again. IMOP messes up the ride. Very bouncy.

I had a set of Ohlins and I can tell you that having so many adjustment posed a big pain in butt for me, mainly because I was never finish adjusting, it was never perfect. OCD

H&R are simple. set the height, get an alignment, learn the suspension and forget about it. Sure they are not perfect.

Cost $1650

Ohlins $3190 road and track
KW $ $6194 club sport

This is just my opinion based on experience with all 3 options. Never had the MPS so I can't opine.

I'm sure many are very happy with their super adjustable coilovers and many love their springs on OE shock.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13538.50
      11-22-2022, 01:59 PM   #19
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Different priorities.

I Will never do springs only again. IMOP messes up the ride. Very bouncy.

I had a set of Ohlins and I can tell you that having so many adjustment posed a big pain in butt for me, mainly because I was never finish adjusting, it was never perfect. OCD

H&R are simple. set the height, get an alignment, learn the suspension and forget about it. Sure they are not perfect.

Cost $1650

Ohlins $3190 road and track
KW $ $6194 club sport

This is just my opinion based on experience with all 3 options. Never had the MPS so I can't opine.

I'm sure many are very happy with their super adjustable coilovers and many love their springs on OE shock.
It's the increased spring rate making them more bouncy, and since every spring available for the F87 has an increased rate, they ALL bounce more. Some guys will argue with you about it, but it's just because they don't understand physics.

I've also had suspensions in the past that had too many adjustments, and like you, hate chasing that perfect ride (doesn't usually exist, every setting is a compromise).

I bought a used MPS with 4K miles on it and no track days for $1250 shipped, so I waited for a good deal and it worked out for me. However, I do want the rear to go lower than it can natively, so I had to spend $300 on the KWV3 rear springs.

I think the only people that love springs on OE suspension are those guys that don't know any better.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 02:02 PM   #20
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

Thanks for sharing your experience.
When I spoke to Sheikh at Fat Cat Motorsports about doing a custom valved "Elite" setup, he recommended to start with this kit because of the extra height adjustability.

I currently have the Dinan HAS and I don't have any complaints other than the lack of suspension travel while lowered, which isn't a big deal for me because I don't like scraping everywhere.

To each their own :cheers:
Appreciate 0