BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Bimmercode BMW M2

11-29-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
raymondlo84
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2017 6MT, M4 2016 6MT

Smile Bimmercode BMW M2

Hi guys,

Anyone knows if we can use the Bimmercode to keep the exhaust flap open? I got the adapter from Amazon, and there is a 20% discount with the coupon code! pretty good.

http://bimmercodeapp.com/adapter/

So here are what I did for the M2.
1. Disabled auto-rev match. -> (https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1418405)

2. Enable iD6 light

3. Disabled the Active Sound ... (Finally!! Driving on highway with sport mode was a nightmare before with that fake sound...).

P.S., the software update on BMW website seems down. Anyone by any chance got a copy of the .bin from the website for BMW M2 2017? BMW doesn't wanna to release it anymore somehow...? And asking me to go to the DEALER...

And auto-rev match really messed up my driving style now finally I'm controlling my car completely. Isn't that the whole point of manual driving? Nights and days...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 06:19 PM   #2
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Only the separate bimmerlink app would give you exhaust flap control but it would NOT memorize your valve setting and keep it in the position you last left it in. It would default back to the OEM setting every time you shut the engine off. You'd have to reconnect to the app every single time you got into the car which would be super inconvenient and in my opinion isn't worth doing. A better solution would be to either buy a proper valve controller or pull 2 fuses from your fuse box. The fuses would leave it open or shut with no control and the controller would allow you to adjust it as you please with ease.

More info on fuses here: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1558468

Good valve controller here: https://www.cgprecision.com/#!/VSC-1...egory=19726366
Appreciate 2
SeanWRT3179.00
      11-29-2018, 08:05 PM   #3
raymondlo84
United_States
Rep

$$ SAVER... You are awesome... I was about to buy those apps and wonder if they are gonna be a pain to manage!

What should I do with the BMW Software Update however? I wanna update it myself and BMW seems to going for dealer only route now. OH YOU GOT the same car too good one bro.

What's your version and is it even worth upgrading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Only the separate bimmerlink app would give you exhaust flap control but it would NOT memorize your valve setting and keep it in the position you last left it in. It would default back to the OEM setting every time you shut the engine off. You'd have to reconnect to the app every single time you got into the car which would be super inconvenient and in my opinion isn't worth doing. A better solution would be to either buy a proper valve controller or pull 2 fuses from your fuse box. The fuses would leave it open or shut with no control and the controller would allow you to adjust it as you please with ease.

More info on fuses here: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1558468

Good valve controller here: https://www.cgprecision.com/#!/VSC-1...egory=19726366

Last edited by raymondlo84; 11-29-2018 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 08:45 PM   #4
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondlo84 View Post
What should I do with the BMW Software Update however? I wanna update it myself and BMW seems to going for dealer only route now.

Map software I buy online for ~$70. They send you a usb drive to plug into your car and it updates the entire north American map, not just the regional one. I do that once a year. You can google to find the company. I can't type it here because their name is censored on this forum for whatever reason. It's something like Bimmer@merica LLC except the @ sign is an a.

istep updates I have no idea how to do myself. I just told the dealer my connected apps were super laggy and asked for a free update which they gave me "on good will". They said they next one would cost me $145 or whatever their hourly rate is.

I've only done that one update about a year ago and the only noticeable change was that when you take the car out of reverse the rear PDC will stop beeping in neutral. Other than that not much seemed to change. Some people claim they experience large changes like different steering feel and a change in ASD or exhaust noise but who knows if it's true or just a placebo.

I personally won't be getting anymore istep updates because I've done a ton of coding to my car and added some special things like M4GTS EPS/MDM and VLD which required me to use a program called ESYS which was a big pain in the ass to download and figure out how to use so I don't want to get my istep updated again solely because It wipes your car clean of any coding and reverts it back to all factory settings, and frankly I don't feel like having to redo everything.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      11-29-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
What should I do with the BMW Software Update however? I wanna update it myself and BMW seems to going for dealer only route now.

Map software I buy online for ~$70. They send you a usb drive to plug into your car and it updates the entire north American map, not just the regional one. I do that once a year. You can google to find the company. I can't type it here because their name is censored on this forum for whatever reason. It's something like Bimmer@merica LLC except the @ sign is an a.

istep updates I have no idea how to do myself. I just told the dealer my connected apps were super laggy and asked for a free update which they gave me "on good will". They said they next one would cost me $145 or whatever their hourly rate is.

I've only done that one update about a year ago and the only noticeable change was that when you take the car out of reverse the rear PDC will stop beeping in neutral. Other than that not much seemed to change. Some people claim they experience large changes like different steering feel and a change in ASD or exhaust noise but who knows if it's true or just a placebo.

I personally won't be getting anymore istep updates because I've done a ton of coding to my car and added some special things like M4GTS EPS/MDM and VLD which required me to use a program called ESYS which was a big pain in the ass to download and figure out how to use so I don't want to get my istep updated again solely because It wipes your car clean of any coding and reverts it back to all factory settings, and frankly I don't feel like having to redo everything.
Thanks for the tip on the map update for $70

I wanted a software update also but I'm scared that when the dealer updates the ECU, it will revert to the stock settings and stuff like the LCI tail light swap or the cluster will show a error message, confirming I "tampered" with it..

When I had my 135i which didn't have LED angel rings, I put some white PIAA bulbs in it.. When the dealer realized that I had a different bulb, while working on an unrelated blown HID ballast, they tried to blame the error on my choice of aftermarket bulb and wanted to charge me $600 for the repair..

Long story longer, if you have mods that had had required you changing the original coding parameters, I would play it safe and not update the software by the dealer.. At least until your warranty has expired.. Or else it will highlight your changes..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 09:56 PM   #6
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Discount code: "loyal"
      11-30-2018, 07:16 PM   #7
raymondlo84
United_States
Rep

Good point. If I revert back with bimmercode, would they be able to find out I mod the car?

And this is the ISTEP update you mean? The one we use USB?

https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html

Quote:

I wanted a software update also but I'm scared that when the dealer updates the ECU, it will revert to the stock settings and stuff like the LCI tail light swap or the cluster will show a error message, confirming I "tampered" with it..

When I had my 135i which didn't have LED angel rings, I put some white PIAA bulbs in it.. When the dealer realized that I had a different bulb, while working on an unrelated blown HID ballast, they tried to blame the error on my choice of aftermarket bulb and wanted to charge me $600 for the repair..

Long story longer, if you have mods that had had required you changing the original coding parameters, I would play it safe and not update the software by the dealer.. At least until your warranty has expired.. Or else it will highlight your changes..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 07:49 PM   #8
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good point. If I revert back with bimmercode, would they be able to find out I mod the car?

And this is the ISTEP update you mean? The one we use USB?

https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html

Quote:

The USB software update from online that you upload and do yourself, just updates the headunit, so it adapts to new Apple products, which is ok.

I was referring to a full dealer ISTEP update of all the modules that's sometimes available..

If you revert the parameters back to how it originally came, they wouldn't detect anything..

But then you would have deal with putting back on any original parts that came with the vehicle, before you take it in for a software refresh or else the dash will light up like a Christmas tree with error lights when they re-power the car, after the re-flash..

Too much hassle for me just so achieve some minor changes in the new update. Software don't go stale; they just improve it when the engineers feels it's warranted or add revised features/parts..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 10:41 PM   #9
joec1101
BMW Fanaddict
Rep
Drives: '18 F87 ///M2

I use this device from Burger Tuning
http://www.burgertuning.com/f_series...odule_BMW.html

You can set the valve for always open/always closed or stock. A little pricier than the CG Precision device, but I do like the BMS products - have a JB4 tuner box as well (not installed at the moment, had it on my previous 435i/F33)

And the Bimmercode App is an EXCELLENT piece of software - I have many things coded on mine as well, including ASD off.

You all mentioned the map updates - I assume you're referring to Navi maps, correct? I've been using Google Maps through Car Play - this works really well and FREE! Did your cars come with Apple Car Play in '16 and '17? Not sure when this was introduced to our cars...
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16304.50
      12-03-2018, 03:20 PM   #10
raymondlo84
United_States
Rep

Oh! I got the software update finally. So apparently they update everything except for the Multimedia function? And yea the car updates the map automatically.

Anyone experiencing lags for the carplay + google map? It's so slow that I always miss the highway exits .

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec1101 View Post
I use this device from Burger Tuning
http://www.burgertuning.com/f_series...odule_BMW.html

You can set the valve for always open/always closed or stock. A little pricier than the CG Precision device, but I do like the BMS products - have a JB4 tuner box as well (not installed at the moment, had it on my previous 435i/F33)

And the Bimmercode App is an EXCELLENT piece of software - I have many things coded on mine as well, including ASD off.

You all mentioned the map updates - I assume you're referring to Navi maps, correct? I've been using Google Maps through Car Play - this works really well and FREE! Did your cars come with Apple Car Play in '16 and '17? Not sure when this was introduced to our cars...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 02:50 AM   #11
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
The Bimmerlink app keeps the last setting on my car (July 17 LCI build), I have the exhaust flap on the "OPEN" setting and it remains open all the time, engine on or off.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 08:47 AM   #12
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
The Bimmerlink app keeps the last setting on my car (July 17 LCI build), I have the exhaust flap on the "OPEN" setting and it remains open all the time, engine on or off.
I used to think the same thing and it turns out I was wrong. Bimmerlink doesn't have a memory setting to keep the valve where it is when it's disconnected from the car. Just because the settings stay the same each time you open the app doesn't mean it forcibly keeps them there while you are disconnected.

If you read this entire thread from the top of the page it explains the how and why pretty well:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3#post23951103
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 08:55 AM   #13
JRF
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GTS (NSX, M2, e92 gone)

When I bring mine in for it's first dealer service, will the dealer be willing/able to code ASD off?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:31 AM   #14
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF View Post
When I bring mine in for it's first dealer service, will the dealer be willing/able to code ASD off?
I'm my experience, no, dealers don't code cars for customers. Some might even consider it a breach of warranty. Just buy bimmercode or an ASD delete harness and take care of it yourself. Most dealers aren't mod friendly.
      12-05-2018, 05:38 AM   #15
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I used to think the same thing and it turns out I was wrong. Bimmerlink doesn't have a memory setting to keep the valve where it is when it's disconnected from the car. Just because the settings stay the same each time you open the app doesn't mean it forcibly keeps them there while you are disconnected.

If you read this entire thread from the top of the page it explains the how and why pretty well:

I've read that thread, not sure it's completely correct. I use Bimmerlink to mute ASD and open exhaust flap, I don't leave the obd connector in the socket. I only drive in Sport+ except for 5-10min from a cold start and ASD 100% remains muted, we all know the difference is obvious especially in sport+. I've just got under my car parked in the garage and the flap is open (locked & engine off), maybe that is the default position but it is always open when engine is idling no matter cold/warm/hot or comfort/sport/sport+. On the move I just assumed the valve remains open. Possibly the theory of how things should work varies in application.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 05:51 AM   #16
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I've read that thread, not sure it's completely correct. I use Bimmerlink to mute ASD and open exhaust flap, I don't leave the obd connector in the socket. I only drive in Sport+ except for 5-10min from a cold start and ASD 100% remains muted, we all know the difference is obvious especially in sport+. I've just got under my car parked in the garage and the flap is open (locked & engine off), maybe that is the default position but it is always open when engine is idling no matter cold/warm/hot or comfort/sport/sport+. On the move I just assumed the valve remains open. Possibly the theory of how things should work varies in application.
If you have a LCI vehicle, the valve behavior is different than before.. It now has that loud "Cold Start Rumble" every single time the vehicle is started and not just when the motor/cat is cold..
So the valve is always open, except when you're coasting in Comfort or Eco Mode.. BMW also drastically quiet down ASD, so now people could barely distinguish if its on/off now..

Andrew is correct, the valve control only actively suppresses the sound only when plugged into the OBD port, in real time..

After you disconnect it, it goes back to factory mapping, whatever they might be for your vehicle.. Bimmerlink engineers already confirmed this.

Email them from the APP and they'll reiterate it..
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910931.00
      12-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #17
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
2. Enable iD6 light
What is that?
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 11:25 PM   #18
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you have a LCI vehicle, the valve behavior is different than before.. It now has that loud "Cold Start Rumble" every single time the vehicle is started and not just when the motor/cat is cold..
So the valve is always open, except when you're coasting in Comfort or Eco Mode.. BMW also drastically quiet down ASD, so now people could barely distinguish if its on/off now..

Andrew is correct, the valve control only actively suppresses the sound only when plugged into the OBD port, in real time..

After you disconnect it, it goes back to factory mapping, whatever they might be for your vehicle.. Bimmerlink engineers already confirmed this.

You're saying the (LCI) exhaust valve is only closed when driving in comfort? Otherwise always open at start up, idling (every mode) and driving Sport/Sport+. If thats the case any controller to open the valve would really be of no value.

Re ASD, yes in comfort there isn't much difference but in Sport+ ASD is loud & intrusive when you put the engine under load, there's no mistaking ASD being on or off. Muting ASD via Bimmerlink is definitely saved without having to re-connect the app on start-up.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 11:30 PM   #19
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
What is that?
It's a setting so people with iDrive5 (2016/2017) can get the appearance of iDrive6 (2018) (without the functional touchscreen obviously)

Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      12-06-2018, 11:40 PM   #20
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You're saying the (LCI) exhaust valve is only closed when driving in comfort? Otherwise always open at start up, idling (every mode) and driving Sport/Sport+. If thats the case any controller to open the valve would really be of no value.

Re ASD, yes in comfort there isn't much difference but in Sport+ ASD is loud & intrusive when you put the engine under load, there's no mistaking ASD being on or off. Muting ASD via Bimmerlink is definitely saved without having to re-connect the app on start-up.
Yes, the valve behavior is different with the LCI, it's practically always open. Definitely is open every time your start your vehicle, regardless if the engine is already warn, unlike the pre-LCI. Not just the M2, all BMWs..

You have to keep the device plugged in for ASD and valve control to retain. The car forgets the settings and goes back to default when unplugged and off. I understand you're skeptical of my claim, so once again I suggest your contact Bimmerlink to verify this.

If you want ASD to be permanently off, you need to change the parameters with Bimmercode. That's the only way it memorizes your settings.

You can't permanently change the exhaust valve behavior by coding. You need a flash tune for that..
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910931.00
      12-06-2018, 11:46 PM   #21
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
What is that?
It's a setting so people with iDrive5 (2016/2017) can get the appearance of iDrive6 (2018) (without the functional touchscreen obviously)

You think it's worth it?

I like having the latest stuff too but I used iDrive 6 in a loaner car and I really didn't think it was much of a difference from 5.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 11:50 PM   #22
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You think it's worth it?

I like having the latest stuff too but I used iDrive 6 in a loaner car and I really didn't think it was much of a difference from 5.
Personally I prefer it to the id5 layout. If you don't like it you can always switch back. Not like you're signing a 30 year mortgage or anything, lol.