BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iPhone and media with Bluetooth

10-24-2018, 01:27 PM   #1
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

iPhone and media with Bluetooth

Why is it that the iPhone does not always connect the media with the BT. It's maybe 50/50. It also has the same issue when using USB.

Can't determine what are the conditions for it to work.

Any ideas???
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 05:34 AM   #2
dtmurf
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
I don't know but it drives me nuts! At least twice a week I have to reestablish the connection between my phone and the car by first deleting it(!) and then finding it and reconnecting it but what is most annoying to me is that I listen to a lot of podcasts in the car and if I make a call or receive a call or do anything else, it stops the audio playing (good) and after the call, restarts the audio at the beginning!

...and when it dose connect to the phone, it immediately starts playing the first song on my iPhone EVERY time and the crazy thing about that is there are no songs stored on my phone! It can somehow pull it down from my iTunes account...if I asked it to do that, it would take 5 to 8 minutes but it can do it on its own in about 3 seconds but only for that first song...which I now hate! I know this an Apple issue on a lot of cars but you'd think by now they would have worked it out.

I've been putting it down to having a US spec car in Europe as a lot of the tech doesn't work (no connect drive, no AppleCarPlay (but thanks BMW for charging me 300 bucks!) ect) but I guess that's not the only issue.
      11-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #3
scflaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: M135I, Macan S, G26 i4M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmurf View Post
I don't know but it drives me nuts! At least twice a week I have to reestablish the connection between my phone and the car by first deleting it(!) and then finding it and reconnecting it but what is most annoying to me is that I listen to a lot of podcasts in the car and if I make a call or receive a call or do anything else, it stops the audio playing (good) and after the call, restarts the audio at the beginning!

...and when it dose connect to the phone, it immediately starts playing the first song on my iPhone EVERY time and the crazy thing about that is there are no songs stored on my phone! It can somehow pull it down from my iTunes account...if I asked it to do that, it would take 5 to 8 minutes but it can do it on its own in about 3 seconds but only for that first song...which I now hate! I know this an Apple issue on a lot of cars but you'd think by now they would have worked it out.

I've been putting it down to having a US spec car in Europe as a lot of the tech doesn't work (no connect drive, no AppleCarPlay (but thanks BMW for charging me 300 bucks!) ect) but I guess that's not the only issue.
1) How many devices are registered with your vehicle? If you have more than 1 device, i've encountered that it will prioritize the other devices due to some reason. Try setting a hot key into the bluetooth connection screen and see if your devices has both logos (Phone & Music) highlighted.

2) The music issue isn't to do with BMW, its something that apple does. The car seems to send a signal to your phone, kind of like wireless device request to play. The apple device then chooses Apple Music as its default device. You need to change the settings on your apple device in itunes to prevent this. It was driving me nuts when it kept playing friggin bono (Apple gave it away for free). Ended up deleting apple music, solved it but the next time you will have to open up the application that you want to broadcast from.

Cheers,

S
Appreciate 1
dtmurf480.00
      01-09-2019, 12:36 PM   #4
dtmurf
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scflaw View Post
1) How many devices are registered with your vehicle? If you have more than 1 device, i've encountered that it will prioritize the other devices due to some reason. Try setting a hot key into the bluetooth connection screen and see if your devices has both logos (Phone & Music) highlighted.

2) The music issue isn't to do with BMW, its something that apple does. The car seems to send a signal to your phone, kind of like wireless device request to play. The apple device then chooses Apple Music as its default device. You need to change the settings on your apple device in itunes to prevent this. It was driving me nuts when it kept playing friggin bono (Apple gave it away for free). Ended up deleting apple music, solved it but the next time you will have to open up the application that you want to broadcast from.

Cheers,

S
Ans 1 - Just one iPhone (7) and while it will not play a podcast I want it to play, it will display the postcast logo!

Ans 2 - Ya, I understand it's an Apple problem. Not sure what setting to change in iTunes but I'll certainly go look for it, thanks for the info!