Slaney
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Anticipating Akropovic....M2C

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I hope they can do wonders for the M2C. Pretty cool video of the process. Thanks Shmee...

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 06:29 AM   #2
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaney View Post
I hope they can do wonders for the M2C. Pretty cool video of the process. Thanks Shmee...

And that is also me and my OG M2 car...

My M2C is going there next week to be used in the development of an exhaust for you guys. I have so many of you asking me for the exhaust. All the inboxes for DM's are overflowing right now. Thanks for all the kind messages.

It will take I think until late this year, maybe early next year until production is fully running, but I will keep you guys posted on anything I can share from within the process.

Don't ask me when it is gonna be available, because honestly I don't know. In the meantime let's have a and wait.

MR
Appreciate 3
Aust350z243.00
cptobvious2531.50
      09-25-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post

In the meantime let's have a and wait.

MR
Amen to that!

Gives me the winter to run it in and save a few £££ for the exhaust in spring 2019 hopefully!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #4
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Honda Accord V6 Hybrid

I'm really curious if these European aftermarket vendors will offer different products for the US and EU markets from now on.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Sounds nice but I would never pay that much for an exhaust. Just cannot justify it. They simply overcharge by a huge margin.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #6
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Sounds nice but I would never pay that much for an exhaust. Just cannot justify it. They simply overcharge by a huge margin.
I'm sure they make money on the exhaust but it's also full titanium and titanium isn't cheap...
      09-25-2018, 07:11 PM   #7
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 07:18 PM   #8
Slaney
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
I'm sure they make money on the exhaust but it's also full titanium and titanium isn't cheap...
not to mention the fabrication processes and design engineering involved...cool isn't cheap - just ask Apple
Appreciate 1
EthanEJC199.50
      09-26-2018, 12:21 AM   #9
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Applee? The biggest rip off merchants in the history of the world!

"Cool" is always profitable because vain people will pay more for less.

Anyway... Akrapovic already make EU specific products such ECE approved race cats and silencers. We don't have ro buy them but they are available.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 12:58 AM   #10
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post

Anyway... Akrapovic already make EU specific products such ECE approved race cats and silencers. We don't have ro buy them but they are available.
Good comparison. A $1k device that you interact with all day long and is integral to most peoples' daily lives, and $7k set of metal pipes that make your car louder.

I don't even have an iPhone but one of these takes a little bit more R&D. You couldn't even produce the bare logic board for an iPhone at any but a few facilities in the world due to the exotic SLP techniques used. Far more conventional PCBs I have fabricated at work can cost several times the cost of an iPhone per unit in low quantities.

Do you know how many people it takes to design a CPU from scratch? How many software engineers it takes to design and maintain an entire modern operating system? There are orders of magnitude of difference between making a phone or computer and a car exhaust. Even if they are really good at it and put a lot more effort into it than other companies.

Last edited by chris719; 09-26-2018 at 01:08 AM..
Appreciate 2
M3_WC1040.00
EthanEJC199.50
      09-26-2018, 02:39 AM   #11
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Sorry I was agreeing that both Akrapovic & Apple overcharge. Because they are "cool" they can do this, people loose their heads when buying "cool" things and buy image not product.

But I think Apple profiteer more, with their economies of scale an Iphone could/should be $200 if they wanted.

If Apple made as few phones as Akrapovic made exhaust an Iphone would cost a about $1/2 million for the R&D and manufacturing costs you mentioned.

There will be cheaper exhausts (and phones) equally good but less "cool", you make your choices.
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
cptobvious2531.50
      09-26-2018, 03:32 AM   #12
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Sorry I was agreeing that both Akrapovic & Apple overcharge. Because they are "cool" they can do this, people loose their heads when buying "cool" things and buy image not product.

But I think Apple profiteer more, with their economies of scale an Iphone could/should be $200 if they wanted.

If Apple made as few phones as Akrapovic made exhaust an Iphone would cost a about $1/2 million for the R&D and manufacturing costs you mentioned.

There will be cheaper exhausts (and phones) equally good but less "cool", you make your choices.
Yeah I mostly agree, though I don't know about $200, iPhone X bill of materials is estimated to cost $358 alone.

Top quality always costs, and it's usually on the steeper part of the diminishing returns curve.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 05:48 AM   #13
Slaney
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Yeah I mostly agree, though I don't know about $200, iPhone X bill of materials is estimated to cost $358 alone.

Top quality always costs, and it's usually on the steeper part of the diminishing returns curve.
I completely agree Apple's profit margins are insane, BUT, people are willing to pay to get that product. And most of the time they make a superior product to begin with. I have had a few iPhones now, I got sucked in when I switched to the Mac platform from Windows. But you know what - I will never go back to Windows. I've had so much less frustration in my office the past few years not having to deal with viruses, endless update requests, warnings/ notices that make no sense, the general pain in the ass that came with using a windows machine. Point is, it just works. Yes, I paid way more for my Mac laptop, but I was also able to sell it 5 years later for a little less than half what I paid at the beginning which put it just about even with a shitty windows laptop. iPhone the same, I was able to sell my last one for half of what I paid in the beginning and the interface just works. I don't care to jigger around with the settings like the people I know who use Android and such. I just want something that works out of the box and I'm willing to pay for it.
The scale comment hits it dead on, Akro is making far fewer "devices" to spread out the associated costs with the product. They make a superior product and it costs more with less volume, hence higher acquisition costs, profit margin be damned.
If people are willing to pay for it and are happy at the end of the day, who really cares.
I've been a creator (Architect, sculptor, etc) all my life and I appreciate the finer things. The titanium fittings alone are gorgeous to look at and make me happy to know that they exist... Same as lifting the M2 up in the air or raising the hood and seeing all the beautifully designed components, etc. Like a fine wine....
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      09-26-2018, 07:29 AM   #14
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:

The iPhone 7 from 2016 is still faster than any other non Apple mobile device as we approach 2019. The new ones are in another league entirely. They are 2-3 years ahead in silicon now and the lead is expanding. Well worth the small premium for something you use every day.

I’m sure the Akropovic stuff is good but I’m not in their demographic.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 09:00 AM   #15
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Yup interesting this... The premium angle is an interesting one to look into. I always compare it to a Casio and a Rolex. Both show the time, but a Rolex is maybe what you want more...

MR
Appreciate 0