BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Cheap DashCam Install

07-15-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Cheap DashCam Install

For those of you that do not want to fork out $600 for a dash cam and want something that does the trick and is really stealth read on.

Here's what I purchased: (Set 1)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BigB...41424c4dwbw7Wx

I paid extra for the fast shipping and I would highly recommend this. All in I paid $110 to my door.

The instructions are about as bad as they get but the seller is really knowledgeable and returns emails within hours.

Rough install instructions:

This camera replaces the cowling behind the mirror. So first off you have to pop that off. This is very easy you just need to put a narrow flat head screw driver in the slot down the middle - I started near the head liner and the clips just let go really easily.

So I have read how others have done camera installs. I like all my wires cable tied to existing wiring and don't like pushing wires up under trim.

First decision you need to make is were you are going to tap power from. You have 2 choices

1 - fuse box in the engine compartment
2 - Fuse box in the trunk.

The disadvantage of the engine compartment is that you have to penetrate the firewall but the wiring is much shorter the second is straight forward but you have to extend the wiring to the back of the car and remove way more trim. I went for the #2 option but I have pics of where the fuses are and how to get to them just incase you chose that route.

I ran the rear camera wiring right down the car in the head liner. This is really easy and you just require a coat hanger to fish the wire to the back. It is made easier on my case because I have a sunroof but you can remove the dome light and use the same technique.

You need to remove the front control panel (overhead lights, sos etc.
Here is how to remove this. This is not for our cars but the idea is the same.
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7230

One caution here is cut and cap the red wire that is part of the rear camera wiring loom. I hooked mine up to power only to have the led lights run all the time. I can not imagine why you would need to power them so cut the wire.

All extra wiring can be stuffed in the headliner.

Install the front camera and connect all the connectors. Now you have the one harness that you have to run to the rear of the car (or through the firewall if you decide on that option). Remove the passenger A trim (pulls out at the top and up. You may leave clips into the metal just remove with a slot screwdriver and reattach to the trim. Remove the trim on the side of the dash. It is easier to remove the rubber door gasket to make this easier. Remove the sill plate (pulls up from the front) this will certainly leave all the clips on the car body so these will have to be removed and placed back on the trim before you return it. Pull the back lower seat and the left bolster (heavy yank from the bottom and then down and out at the top).fold the rear passenger side seat back down and remove the trunk floor to expose the battery and fuses.

So now you run the main power wire from the front camera across the front of the headliner and down the front of the exposed "A" pillar. Small cable tie in front of the airbag. You should in no circumstances cross the wiring in front of the airbag. Now fish the wire down the sill and then across under the carpet. At this point it will be clear that the supplied wires are not long enough. So soldier (and heat shrink another 5 feet of wire to each of the 3 coloured wires). Use the same colors if possible (at least clearly make them). Now tape together the 3 wires in an orderly fashion (every 4" is good) then fish the wires up and under the rear quarter panel and up the left side of the car cable tying to the existing harness. Now run it down and to the rear fuse box. Check all 3 wires with an ohm meter to make sure that there is not a circuit between them (this would be a short circuit). Now hook them up.

Black - find a good earth point (there are plenty of bolts that hold down the fuse box). You should use a spade connector on the end of the black wire.
Red - Use a 5 amp fuse tap in the fuse box one that goes on and off with the ACC. ( I used #147 which is for the radio)
Yellow - I hooked mine up the tab on the left side of the battery ( I added a 5 amp in line fuse) see the pic.

Turn on the camera and boot up the phone app and aim the rear camera and stick it down. The sticky pad on mine was pushed way under the headliner so just the camera is visible.

All in all this is a decent system for the price. I still have not figured out parking mode but the seller is going to tell me how to get this working when he gets back from holiday! As I said above he has been really great with the English information.

I'll post once I have it working.
Attached Images

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 8
      07-20-2018, 09:03 PM   #2
Speedwell-Industries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3

Sweet! Thank you for sharing in such detail!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 09:07 PM   #3
mobile23
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Thanks for the instructions. It’s very useful especially for newbies like me. I got a cheap dashcam as well but different brand. It does have parking mode. Do I still use #147 at the fuel box?... Silly question, how do I determine what slot is #147? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 06:58 AM   #4
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile23 View Post
Thanks for the instructions. It’s very useful especially for newbies like me. I got a cheap dashcam as well but different brand. It does have parking mode. Do I still use #147 at the fuel box?... Silly question, how do I determine what slot is #147? Thanks
In the fuse box in the rear of the vehicle is a folded up piece of paper. The fuse #'s are on that. Good luck.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 10:14 PM   #5
mobile23
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
In the fuse box in the rear of the vehicle is a folded up piece of paper. The fuse #'s are on that. Good luck.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Jeez all that hassle so you can post videos of "nasty speeding drivers" overtaking you..... or send images to the Police?

That's what dash cams are for right?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #7
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Jeez all that hassle so you can post videos of "nasty speeding drivers" overtaking you..... or send images to the Police?

I'm freelance. I'm on a job and parked in a parking lot. At the end of the day I look at my front bumper and see it is damaged. I speak to my manager and he says how do you know it was one of our guys....

Pull out the chip from the dashcam and review the incident. Show him the video showing it was one of our trucks. They paid me cash for the repair.

This is why I went to all the trouble....

Appreciate 1
Dabozo624.50
      12-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #8
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post

You serious?
Aside from the example already given, cars deliberately slamming their brakes so that you rear end them (insurance scam) is a growing problem in many areas. This alone is good reason to have one.
Appreciate 0