BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Active Sound Design (ASD) topics

10-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #353
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I was thinking the same thing. It would be great if BimmerLink also had the option to enable / disable rev-matching, now that we know it's something that can easily be coded on and off.

The more important thing though for me, is BimmerLink on Android!
Twould also be great if Bimmerlink were available for Android like bimmercode now is.

Last edited by boostm3; 10-07-2017 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 01:20 AM   #354
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I just coded ASD off using BimmerCode. The car is a ton quieter. I can hear the turbo more. I think I like it so far. But it makes me want an aftermarket exhaust....
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 05:01 AM   #355
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
I just coded ASD off using BimmerCode. The car is a ton quieter. I can hear the turbo more. I think I like it so far. But it makes me want an aftermarket exhaust....
Is your car stock and do you notice any sound system improvements?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #356
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
It’s stock. And so far, no improvements. If anything, it’s a little quieter.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #357
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
It’s stock. And so far, no improvements. If anything, it’s a little quieter.
Just checking in for the ?18s. Is it easy to turn ASD back on once coded off? I know some folks were having big issues with this. They could code off but not get it back on. I?d like to hear from someone who actually tried this and whether it worked.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 11:33 PM   #358
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

I installed the TechnicPnP ASD by-pass harness today. Didn't want to mess with coding, and other threads imply a possible improvement to stereo's sound by using the harness.

Install was super-easy - harness was completely plug & play. No messing around with connector swaps necessary - they seem to have worked all the issues out since first producing the harness.

Really happy with result - much quieter cabin, no more fake (and over-saturated IMO) noise from the ASD. And the car sounds darn sweet as-is, so why ASD in the M2 anyway?

So I agree with the OP - a total win.

Note to anybody else who wants to do this --- there is one step in the original (and very good) DIY instructions that should be skipped. Do NOT remove the trunk seal. It is NOT necessary to remove the seal to remove the back trunk edge plate - just wiggle it out from under the seal. It is a royal pain to get that seal back in place - which I learned the hard way, as did many others ... if only I'd read all the way through that original thread. The install is very simple & easy accept for that seal - and it turns out you needn't mess with the seal after all.
Appreciate 5
      11-02-2017, 08:04 AM   #359
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

JJ, thanks for confirming that this trunk seal step can/should be skipped.. I just ordered my harness and am looking forward to actually hearing my car again! This asd seems like the dumbest idea ever. I imagine there are owners, perhaps not of this model but of others where asd is installed, who have no idea this is fake noise... Just imagine the anger they must feel after driving around for however many miles thinking all along that what theyre hearing is what all those outside the car are hearing, only to find out that the only one hearing this cacophony of noise is he himself, and that what those outside the car are hearing barely even resembles what hes been led to believe his car sounds like by the purveyors of fake noise... They say that 'fake news' is the phrase of the year, but Im saying NOPE.. its 'FAKE NOISE' .. stomp it out bmw!!

So, back to the seal.. Once you slide the back trunk plastic plate out from under the rubber seal and have completed the job, any trickery involved in sliding it back up and under that seal to complete the job?
      11-02-2017, 11:39 AM   #360
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
So, back to the seal.. Once you slide the back trunk plastic plate out from under the rubber seal and have completed the job, any trickery involved in sliding it back up and under that seal to complete the job?
No trickery - just hard to explain. The seal essentially has two parallel/adjacent "slots". One is metal reinforced, and that's the slot that is tightly fit over the metal of the car body. The other is simply a soft fold without any metal reinforcement - that's the part the fits over the top edge of the back plate. To re-install the back plate, simply re-install it without trying to get it back under the soft fold of the seal. Once you've re-installed the back plate with the 4 locking-pins, you can simply lift the soft fold of the seal (inch-by-inch) up and over the edge of the back plate, thus putting it back "up and under" the seal.

It will be obvious when you do it - just look very carefully how the seal's soft-fold sits over the back plate before you wiggle the back plate out. And despite how it might feel when you're removing the back plate - you truly do NOT need to remove that seal. Just keep wiggling (carefully) the plate after removing the 4 locking pins and it will come free.

It would have been a 10 or 15 minute operation if I had not had to wrestle that issue. I spent about 30 minutes trying and failing to reinstall the seal with the back plate in place. I eventually realized that the back plate being in place made it even more difficult to reinstall the seal - so I removed the back plate again, then replaced the seal, the put the back plate on as described above.

One thing I would recommend - get a Torx T40 to remove the tie down on the trunk floor (see the DIY instructions). Cost me $10 at Home Depot - and then I didn't have to booger-up that bolt with vice-grips.

And yes - an ASD-free experience is better. At least in the M2 - the car sounds great without any artificial assist. That said, I did not disable it in my 2016 m235i - it was not nearly as intrusive and obviously fake as the ASD in the M2.
Appreciate 2
      11-02-2017, 02:56 PM   #361
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclyde View Post

One thing I would recommend - get a Torx T40 to remove the tie down on the trunk floor (see the DIY instructions). Cost me $10 at Home Depot - and then I didn't have to booger-up that bolt with vice-grips.
Ive seen the torx secured tie down referred to singularly in almost every reference.. Do not both of them need to come out?
      11-02-2017, 02:58 PM   #362
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Ive seen the torx secured tie down referred to singularly in almost every reference.. Do not both of them need to come out?
No. Just the single one on the left.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #363
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Has anybody had any issues with failing dealer ecu flashes after they installed the ASD bypass harness? I have mine on order and just came across a thread in the 2 series forum relating to such a situation when both an aftermarket amp was installed along with the asd bypass harness.. They were pretty convinced the culprit was the bimmertech amp, but werent sure if the bypass harness also played a part.
      11-08-2017, 04:23 PM   #364
reward72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240xi

I just tested removing fuse 122 on my MY18 M240i. It did kill the radio along with ASD. It is indeed a big improvement when cruising on a smooth highway, but on rough pavement ASD does a good job at coverings unpleasant road noises, whether it is intentional or not.

I’m about to replace all the factory speakers (I have the base HiFi) with Focals. I’ll let you all know how much of a difference it makes with ASD on and off.

After a week of ownership, I love the car, but I wish it was quieter in comfort mode and sounded more aggressive in sport mode. I have the factory-installed MPE and while it sounds glorious from the outside, I can barely hear it from inside the car.

I probably will code the ASD off for long drives.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 01:26 AM   #365
specka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
I had ASD coded out from the dealership when I picked it up and I am very happy I did, the audio system is much better than when I tested it in the demo vehicle.

Definitely recommend this for all prospective buyers.
      12-18-2017, 04:17 AM   #366
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by specka View Post
I had ASD coded out from the dealership when I picked it up and I am very happy I did, the audio system is much better than when I tested it in the demo vehicle.

Definitely recommend this for all prospective buyers.
But now you have a noise tone through your speakers Switch off the radio and put your car static somewhere. You will hear the tone.

This tone is the power input of the box which is not properly grounded and therefore is heard through the speakers.

MR
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 10:08 AM   #367
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
But now you have a noise tone through your speakers Switch off the radio and put your car static somewhere. You will hear the tone.

This tone is the power input of the box which is not properly grounded and therefore is heard through the speakers.

MR
So is this the main reason to go with the bypass harness rather than coding it out?

One removes the noises COMPLETELY while the other leaves remnants?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #368
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
So is this the main reason to go with the bypass harness rather than coding it out?

One removes the noises COMPLETELY while the other leaves remnants?
I think the static noise occurrs in the MY16. I coded it out and do not hear anything. Maybe there can be a chance for some static when driving in certain areas, but 99% of the time it is silent.
Appreciate 1
specka71.00
      01-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #369
Top pup
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

So I've just managed to code out ASD and I can't agree more with the comments in this thread. What a complete and utter load of garbage ASD is, I really have no idea what BMW thinks it adds to the experience
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 04:45 AM   #370
specka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post

MR
Hi sorry for the delayed reply, happy new year to all.

I'm unable to replicate this tone. There are a number of humming sounds, like various systems shutting down after I put the car to either 'Radio Ready' or fully off, but they all cease in approximately 30 seconds and then it's silence.
      01-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #371
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Never coded, want ASD off. Do I need to get a plugin or just download the app? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #372
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Follow up, if I do need an adapter/plugin can someone tell me which one. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #373
Top pup
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

I used bimmercode and the Vgate iCar 2 adaptor. I had a few problems getting mine to work at first but the support through bimmercode seems great and it's straight forward to use.
Takes about two minutes to toggle on or off now.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #374
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I bought the dongle and app just to turn ASD off........ and I get to use it for other things
Appreciate 1
bollinm25.00