BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > REMUS EC-Approved Axelback + REMUS mid-pipe = happy OPF sensor / no CEL? - 2021 M2C

09-12-2020, 07:02 AM   #1
Micke_B
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

REMUS EC-Approved Axelback + REMUS mid-pipe = happy OPF sensor / no CEL? - 2021 M2C

So I'm looking for a 100% problem-free setup.

My car is an M2C 6SPEED EU car with OPF, MY2021.

- I do not want any CEL or similar.
- I do not want to remove the OPF.
- I do not want a tune.
- TUV approved would be optimal.

+ I do want to get rid of the ugly back box.
+ I do want a little bit more sound (I like the S55 sound).

I'm thinking about the REMUS EC-Approved (TUV approved) axelback system and together with the REMUS midpipe (keeps OPF:s removes mid-muffler) should match what I'm looking for.

Does anyone run this combo on an EU OPF car? That is, the REMUS EC-appoved axelback (NOT the race version) pair:ed up with the REMUS midpipe. Any issues? CEL? Anything else?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 10:55 AM   #2
lnsaneM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: like you stole it

From what I’ve read you shouldn’t have any problems as long as you keep the opfs
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 01:03 PM   #3
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Why do you want EC/TUV approved? If you remove the resonator and stick on the Remus mid-pipe the exhaust will no longer be EC/TUV approved. The only way to really remain EC approved is basically not to increase power and not to increase sound. That is, an axle-back only system. You may get an increase in sound (with valves open of course), but the exhausts are EC approved because they basically adhere to OEM requirements and EU/TUV regulation.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #4
Micke_B
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnsaneM View Post
From what I’ve read you shouldn’t have any problems as long as you keep the opfs
Yeah I get the same feeling, should be ok from what I read as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
Why do you want EC/TUV approved? If you remove the resonator and stick on the Remus mid-pipe the exhaust will no longer be EC/TUV approved. The only way to really remain EC approved is basically not to increase power and not to increase sound. That is, an axle-back only system. You may get an increase in sound (with valves open of course), but the exhausts are EC approved because they basically adhere to OEM requirements and EU/TUV regulation.
Well dosen't "have to be" I just imagen that EC approved bits are less likely to cause a CEL or similar? I've read that the REMUS race axel back + the midpipe will cause CEL. That is why I'm thinking of combining the REMUS "sport" axel back with the midpipe instead. Hoping that it will give me some more sound without the CEL. And it will get rid of the "hanging" stock backbox.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 02:19 PM   #5
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micke_B View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnsaneM View Post
Yeah I get the same feeling, should be ok from what I read as well.

Quote:
Well dosen't "have to be" I just imagen that EC approved bits are less likely to cause a CEL or similar? I've read that the REMUS race axel back + the midpipe will cause CEL. That is why I'm thinking of combining the REMUS "sport" axel back with the midpipe instead. Hoping that it will give me some more sound without the CEL. And it will get rid of the "hanging" stock backbox.
Understood. EC exhaust is less likely indeed. That said, I haven't heard of the Remus racing exhaust + mid pipe causing CEL. Quite the opposite in fact (Joe Achilles uses setup for example). I'm looking at getting the same combination. If you have a source to the contrary please post
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 02:31 PM   #6
Micke_B
Private
Rep

Quote:
Understood. EC exhaust is less likely indeed. That said, I haven't heard of the Remus racing exhaust + mid pipe causing CEL. Quite the opposite in fact (Joe Achilles uses setup for example). I'm looking at getting the same combination. If you have a source to the contrary please post
Interesting. I've heard people say that Joe did in fact get CEL 😳 No idea how he solved it (asuming he did) 🤔
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 02:33 PM   #7
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. I've heard people say that Joe did in fact get CEL 😳 No idea how he solved it (asuming he did) 🤔
Damn, I sure hope that isn't the case... please share if you find source info
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 02:37 PM   #8
Micke_B
Private
Rep

Quote:
Found it here:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=13

From MR. He seems like a legit source.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 02:49 PM   #9
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Found it here:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8;postcount=13

From MR. He seems like a legit source.
Well that's thrown a spanner in my plans. Flip sake. So basically you either go for EC approved and make virtually 0 difference or you get a decent exhaust and tune the car and lose warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 03:16 PM   #10
maniac886
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I was in the same boat as the OP - I decided against the Remus as I had actually called them and asked the question if anyone had got the CEL light with their racing exhaust and they were open and honest and admitted a very small handful of customers had the CEL light appear. In the end I went for the Milltek Race OPF back.

I haven't had the system fitted yet - when the exhaust system got delivered Covid hit and I just haven't had the opportunity to get it installed. If the CEL does appear I will get the light reset and if it keeps going off then what I will do is replace the Race centre silencer with the EC approved one . I am hoping this doesn't happen as the Race system sound is much better than the EC approved one.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 03:22 PM   #11
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac886 View Post
I was in the same boat as the OP - I decided against the Remus as I had actually called them and asked the question if anyone had got the CEL light with their racing exhaust and they were open and honest and admitted a very small handful of customers had the CEL light appear. In the end I went for the Milltek Race OPF back.

I haven't had the system fitted yet - when the exhaust system got delivered Covid hit and I just haven't had the opportunity to get it installed. If the CEL does appear I will get the light reset and if it keeps going off then what I will do is replace the Race centre silencer with the EC approved one . I am hoping this doesn't happen as the Race system sound is much better than the EC approved one.
Yeah this is my thought process though... if it's a 'small handful' and it's isn't consistent then if it does flag... just clear error codes and reset? Surely it can't be frequent enough to the point it's annoying?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 03:56 PM   #12
maniac886
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah this is my thought process though... if it's a 'small handful' and it's isn't consistent then if it does flag... just clear error codes and reset? Surely it can't be frequent enough to the point it's annoying?
That's the key question really , for the people that have had the CEL light go off , was it frequent or just now and again? I will be keeping my standard exhaust system anyway so worse comes to worst I can return the car back to standard.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 10:01 AM   #13
Micke_B
Private
Rep

So frustrating this whole OPF thing. And I'm not even removing them. I guess Milltek EL OPF back system is an option as well. Haven't herd much about it tough. No idea if it has CEL problems or not. :/
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 11:54 AM   #14
maniac886
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So frustrating this whole OPF thing. And I'm not even removing them. I guess Milltek EL OPF back system is an option as well. Haven't herd much about it tough. No idea if it has CEL problems or not. :/
Have a look at the thread below.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1617973
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 12:23 AM   #15
Micke_B
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Maybe the Milltek Race a better (less likely to CEL) option than both Miltek EL and Remus since it has a resonator. Might help with keeping the OPF sensor happy. Hmm...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:22 AM   #16
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

So I contacted Motech Performance here in the UK and asked about the CEL for Joe Achilles with his Remus Race exhaust. They stated it was nothing to do with the exhaust and was a problem with the car. Apparently they install 5-7 of these exhausts each month and this was a one-off issue... hmmm. I also found a post or two about people with the Sport Remus exhaust who also had this problem. Makes you wonder if it's just crappy OPF sensors.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:31 AM   #17
Micke_B
Private
Rep

Quote:
So I contacted Motech Performance here in the UK and asked about the CEL for Joe Achilles with his Remus Race exhaust. They stated it was nothing to do with the exhaust and was a problem with the car. Apparently they install 5-7 of these exhausts each month and this was a one-off issue... hmmm. I also found a post or two about people with the Sport Remus exhaust who also had this problem. Makes you wonder if it's just crappy OPF sensors.
Ok, thank you for sharing. I contacted Milltek and got the answer:

"Many thanks for your email.

With regards your enquiry we have not had any reports of CEL's illuminating due to installing any of our GPF/OPF back systems on the M2 Competition.

As such there should be no reason to get a tune to eliminate the CEL."

So that sounds promising as well. Hmm, are people just having bad OPF sensors?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:56 AM   #18
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

With regards your enquiry we have not had any reports of CEL's illuminating due to installing any of our GPF/OPF back systems on the M2 Competition.

I've messaged Joe directly to see if he's had any further issues. Will report back soon hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 10:32 AM   #19
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Well there we have it from Joe...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      09-14-2020, 11:21 AM   #20
maniac886
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

That was the same answer I got from Milltek when I contacted them before I purchased my exhaust. I haven't seen any Milltek owners report CEL issues that have had the GPF/OPF back systems fitted as yet. It is always possible though that BMW roll out software updates that make the OPF sensors more sensitive. Unfortunately I live in a high risk Covid 19 area so I am waiting for things to calm down a little before I get mine fitted.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #21
Micke_B
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well there we have it from Joe...
Ok, cool.

Quote:
That was the same answer I got from Milltek when I contacted them before I purchased my exhaust. I haven't seen any Milltek owners report CEL issues that have had the GPF/OPF back systems fitted as yet. It is always possible though that BMW roll out software updates that make the OPF sensors more sensitive. Unfortunately I live in a high risk Covid 19 area so I am waiting for things to calm down a little before I get mine fitted.
Ok thanks, so yeah I'm leaning towards Milltek race now.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #22
MVE7
Rep
Drives: Audi a6 , Audi S3 , //M2C

Quote:
Ok, cool.

Ok thanks, so yeah I'm leaning towards Milltek race now.
Did you go for the Milltek?

Personally I like the deeper sound from the Remus exhaust but if this really trigger the CELL I would also choose the Milltek OPF back
Appreciate 0