M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Ferodo 2500s Vs Carbotech

08-16-2022, 01:45 PM   #1
PJones97
Registered
Rep
Drives: 202 BMW M2C

Ferodo 2500s Vs Carbotech

Afternoon,
Hope I can pick your collective brains on the CT pads. 2020 M2C, first owner put Ferodo 1.11s on, great pads but so damn noisy. Not a DD pad for sure. Stock rotors in decent shape, but plan to switch tj Girodiscs all around. Car is mostly DD, spirited for sure, plus hope to start some autocross and maybe a couple track days a year.

Had planned to go with DS 2500s, but woukd love to hear your experience with the CTs for 90% DD. Will have the 1.11s for track (2500s are nice bc no bedding between them, but just for a couple times a year that's not a big deal).

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 06:51 AM   #2
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJones97 View Post
Afternoon,
Hope I can pick your collective brains on the CT pads. 2020 M2C, first owner put Ferodo 1.11s on, great pads but so damn noisy. Not a DD pad for sure. Stock rotors in decent shape, but plan to switch tj Girodiscs all around. Car is mostly DD, spirited for sure, plus hope to start some autocross and maybe a couple track days a year.

Had planned to go with DS 2500s, but woukd love to hear your experience with the CTs for 90% DD. Will have the 1.11s for track (2500s are nice bc no bedding between them, but just for a couple times a year that's not a big deal).

Thanks!!
The DS1.11 is most definitely not a road pad. They typically sound like a freight train pulling into the station! The DS2500 by comparison has fantastic road manners, and isn't remotely as noisy as the DS1.11. When bedded in properly, the DS2500 is typically silent. Here's a guide we put together on the Ferodo compounds:

Which Ferodo Brake Pad Compound is Right for Me?

Your last note about running the same brand is a crucial one that is often overlooked. The DS2500, DS1.11, DSUNO, DS3.12, etc. are all made from the same core constituent materials. That means they can be laid down over top of each other on the same disc (pad transfer layer) without fears of cross-contamination, judder, vibration, etc. When you switch from one of the Ferodo materials to the other on a set of discs that has already been bedded-in with Ferodo pad material, you just have to do a few moderate stops to get the pads faces seated properly on the discs. Then you're good to go.

Switching across brands for your road and track pad compounds opens up a can of worms for cross-contamination, judder, and vibration. We see it all the time. When you lay down two pad materials that have completely different materials, they often don't play very nice together on the disc face. Rather than seamlessly melding together when they get really hot, they often stack up, gum up, ball, up...whatever you want to call it. They literally turn into a hot mess. The gooped up pad material creates uneven/high spots on the disc face which leads to judder. The only way to prevent that is to scrape the disc faces clean before laying down the other pad material. See the video I made long ago on this topic for an example of how that is done.

While that scenario can be managed (as shown in the video), it can be a hassle. You have to frequently scrape and re-bed every time you swap your pads from street to track compounds. That's fine if it's twice a year. If you're going to the track more than that, it can become a real hassle.

The vast majority of our big brake kit customers run the DS2500 for daily driving, autoX, and sometimes even light track duty on street tires, and then swap to the heavy artillery for track time (DS1.11, DS3.12). That combo makes the pad swap pain-free and near effortless regardless of the driving environment. You don't have to worry about finding a safe stretch of road to do the bedding constantly, or wasting track sessions to try and get your discs sorted.

Also, based on a great deal of customer feedback across a wide range of vehicles (Corvettes, Porsches, FT86, Mustangs, Miata, etc.), the Carbotechs seem to be much more finicky than Ferodo when it comes to bedding/burnishing. While we only very rarely hear about judder/vibration issues with Ferodo, we hear about those issues with the various Carbotech pads quite often.

Again, mixing pad compounds from different manufacturers or even product lines from the same manufacturer can lead to a lot of headaches. We have a lot of enthusiasts coming to us for help to shake their shakes. Sometimes they wind up trashing their discs so bad with uneven pad deposits that the discs can't be saved. Then they're paying for new discs in addition to new pads...not fun, and certainly not worth the small savings on trying to buy a super cheap set of street pads.

ps My input is based on over twenty years of dealing with aftermarket brakes every day of my life, and from twenty+ years of tracking my own personal cars. I have dealt with and sold a huge variety of brake pads from many manufacturers during that time. The Ferodo pad system for road/track (DS2500 + one of their pure racing pads) is by far the least problematic, best performing I have ever seen.

Appreciate 2
ornicar136.00
ALX_B48.00
      08-29-2022, 04:09 PM   #3
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJones97 View Post
Afternoon,

Thanks!!
Let us know if you have any questions and PM for forum price on Ferodo pads!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 06:33 AM   #4
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I've never had issues going from street to track compounds. Putting the track pad on a few days before/after an event with some daily street driving will scrape off anything on that rotor.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 10:15 PM   #5
Heronween
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, X6M

I've got the carbotech xp12's on the m2c for minimal street use between track sessions, and I cannot believe how quiet they are. No squealing whatsoever, and based on limited street miles, dust seems comparable to oem nh2. Unbiased.
Appreciate 0