BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > AA EL (Unresonated) + Remus Race + Catless Downpipe

03-21-2024, 09:52 PM   #1
boba7523
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m2c

AA EL (Unresonated) + Remus Race + Catless Downpipe

Sorry, I know y'all were probably looking for a sound clip but I wanted to see if anyone else have this combo and what it sounds like. I've read in the other AA EL thread that this combo would make the exhaust sound very bad due to the unresonated midpipe.

I currently have a Remus Race + AA EL unresonated midpipe and was looking to add a catted (or catless) downpipe.

Below is a video of a very similar setup (he has Remus Sport), and it doesn't sound that bad. Again, videos don't always showcase the the true sound.

Also, how much louder can I expect it to get with either catted or catless DP? From Valvetronic's M2C exhaust video, I remember theirs was only a mere +20dB between stock cats and their downpipe.

Anyone with this combo would love for you chime in!

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 06:46 AM   #2
jayee88
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (DCT) - Sunset Orange

Garage List
Remus Sport has a beefier muffler instead of the two canisters on the race. It’s what I’ve seen people recommend if you’re going catless.

I have AA EL midpipes (resonated) and Remus Race exhaust with stock DPs right now. Getting a set of AA GESI catted downpipes next week, so I can give feedback on how it would sound on the ‘conservative’ end once I get them installed.

Edit - 20dB increase is quite a bit. Every 3dB is a doubling in sound intensity and around 10db is usually an effective doubling in perceptible volume. Saying something is 20dB louder is basically saying it’s 4x louder.

Last edited by jayee88; 03-22-2024 at 06:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 10:59 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

i would say catted downpipes increase the sound by 25%, catless by 50%

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 06:45 AM   #4
jayee88
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (DCT) - Sunset Orange

Garage List
So I’ve had my AA GESI downpipes (400 cell) installed for just over a week now and I’m pretty happy with them. With valves closed there’s still no drone and the car is still tame enough to not draw unwanted attention or annoy the neighborhood when driving normally, maybe 10-15% louder than stock DPs. With valves open though, it’s significantly louder than before… to my ears it sounds at least 50% louder. I also get a small amount of drone now when valves are open in sport+ in the midrange RPMs, probably fine for any car enthusiasts, but it would definitely annoy regular passengers. That being said, I did not use a decibel meter to measure anything before and after so this is all subjective. Also In my experience pipes tend to quiet down slightly as well after breaking in.

I guess in summary, with valves open on my setup, AA GESI DPs, AA EL resonated midpipes, Remus race axel back, the sound is already pretty loud. if you daily this car or are worried about volume, I don’t think I would recommend catless with this setup…
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2024, 11:31 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayee88 View Post
So I’ve had my AA GESI downpipes (400 cell) installed for just over a week now and I’m pretty happy with them. With valves closed there’s still no drone and the car is still tame enough to not draw unwanted attention or annoy the neighborhood when driving normally, maybe 10-15% louder than stock DPs. With valves open though, it’s significantly louder than before… to my ears it sounds at least 50% louder. I also get a small amount of drone now when valves are open in sport+ in the midrange RPMs, probably fine for any car enthusiasts, but it would definitely annoy regular passengers. That being said, I did not use a decibel meter to measure anything before and after so this is all subjective. Also In my experience pipes tend to quiet down slightly as well after breaking in.

I guess in summary, with valves open on my setup, AA GESI DPs, AA EL resonated midpipes, Remus race axel back, the sound is already pretty loud. if you daily this car or are worried about volume, I don’t think I would recommend catless with this setup…
+1 catless is not the way to go if the customer does not want a super-aggressive setup.

Catted is the perfect solution for a daily driver, when valves are closed, its quiet and clean sounding. when valves are open, its aggressive.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0