BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Remus Sport + AA Midpipe Review (with Sound Clips)

11-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #1
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Remus Sport + AA Midpipe Review (with Sound Clips)

As some members requested, here's my review on the Remus Sport+AA midpipe combo, which I think really transforms the infamous S55 tone dramatically in my opinion. As a background, I went through the following variations since June (all with stock downpipes):

1) Remus Race + AA midpipe (link to the review thread)
2) Remus Sport + stock midpipe
3) Remus Sport + AA midpipe (current)

I could only live with the first setup for a week. I used to think I have a high tolerance for loud exhaust but apparently I don’t 🙂 Even with stock downpipes, that combo was ridiculously loud for my taste and it made me more nervous than anything. Remus Race muffler has minimal restrictions in terms of volume so even with valves closed, I would get a slight drone near 80mph on highway. I then switched to Remus Sport but since I was afraid it could be too loud again, I paired it with the stock midpipe for awhile. I would say Remus Sport is one of my favorite axlebacks as it eliminates most of the S55 rasp by itself (exhaust outlets has built-in resonators which help a lot with adding a deeper tone). Even though I was extremely happy with Remus Sport+stock midpipe combo, I knew I had to give the AA midpipe a try with Remus Sport (I didn’t wanna regret not trying later on 😄 ). Long story short, I paired Remus Sport with AA midpipe yesterday and I absolutely love it. Nowhere near as loud as the Remus Race+AA combo and the sound is much more refined and deep. In fact, couple of my friends who own an OG M2 messaged me saying it sounds pretty similar to their N55. After all I just wanted to improve the sound of my S55 and I’m quite happy with the end result. I’ll let the videos speak for themselves. Here are some cold start, rev and fly-by recordings. For the most accurate representation of the sound, I recommend listening with your headphones since these are just iphone recordings.

Appreciate 11
      11-06-2019, 10:22 PM   #2
MyM2See
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Sound amazing. Basically the Remus Sport is slightly toned down compared to the Race.
This will be the combo I will be going for as of right now.....if the prices come down lol.
Thank you for the great sound clips.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      11-07-2019, 01:37 AM   #3
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Nothing delete the S55 rasp better than AA midpipe when you remove secondary cats

Last edited by VIERsr; 11-07-2019 at 01:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      11-07-2019, 06:27 AM   #4
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

It's the setup I have, and I love it. Not obnoxious in the least.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      11-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #5
Fenerbahce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Awesome! Can you say a little bit more about the difference between the Remus Sport without midpipe vs with midpipe (difference between scenario 2 and 3 above)? Did adding the midpipe make a big difference in volume, tone, and/or drone?
M-Pilot4859.00
      11-07-2019, 10:46 AM   #6
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
Nothing delete the S55 rasp better than AA midpipe when you remove secondary cats
Yes, I can confirm there is zero rasp right now.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 10:50 AM   #7
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
It's the setup I have, and I love it. Not obnoxious in the least.
Totally agree. I just can't believe the difference between RemusRace+AA and RemusSport+AA. The former was extremely loud and even the tech who installed the setup said it was one of the loudest he's heard so far (with stock downpipes of course). I should have gone with the Sport version to begin with but anyways...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 11:05 AM   #8
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenerbahce View Post
Awesome! Can you say a little bit more about the difference between the Remus Sport without midpipe vs with midpipe (difference between scenario 2 and 3 above)? Did adding the midpipe make a big difference in volume, tone, and/or drone?
It definitely added a nice volume but nothing crazy and nowhere near as loud as Race+AA. Tone is a different story. I think it improved overall tone dramatically (even more than Race+AA setup) and I think it's thanks to additional resonators on the Sport (I'll try to add pics of those as well). As I said in the original post, even some of my friends who own N55 M2s couldn't believe how similar they think it sounds to theirs. I still don't think it's identical to an N55 sound but definitely a significant improvement over the classic S55 tone. Also, I'm glad you mentioned drone, which bothered me with first setup. Just as a side note, I removed my rear seats for tracking (weight saving) purposes so there is much less sound insulation in the cabin. In other words, the exhaust sound is definitely more pronounced inside the car. I never had any drone with just the Sport axleback and was worried AA midpipe would introduce some drone at least with valves open but I've been pleasantly surprised so far (my ASD is coded off btw). Valves closed is absolutely like stock, super quiet. When you open the valves you can definitely hear the exhaust especially when you get on it but I haven't noticed any drone even while cruising at 80mph on the highway. Just to give an idea, I could notice some drone even when valves were closed with Remus Race + AA midpipe.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #9
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
As some members requested, here's my review on the Remus Sport+AA midpipe combo, which I think really transforms the infamous S55 tone dramatically in my opinion. As a background, I went through the following variations since June (all with stock downpipes):

1) Remus Race + AA midpipe (link to the review thread)
2) Remus Sport + stock midpipe
3) Remus Sport + AA midpipe (current)

I could only live with the first setup for a week. I used to think I have a high tolerance for loud exhaust but apparently I don’t 🙂 Even with stock downpipes, that combo was ridiculously loud for my taste and it made me more nervous than anything. Remus Race muffler has minimal restrictions in terms of volume so even with valves closed, I would get a slight drone near 80mph on highway. I then switched to Remus Sport but since I was afraid it could be too loud again, I paired it with the stock midpipe for awhile. I would say Remus Sport is one of my favorite axlebacks as it eliminates most of the S55 rasp by itself (exhaust outlets has built-in resonators which help a lot with adding a deeper tone). Even though I was extremely happy with Remus Sport+stock midpipe combo, I knew I had to give the AA midpipe a try with Remus Sport (I didn’t wanna regret not trying later on 😄 ). Long story short, I paired Remus Sport with AA midpipe yesterday and I absolutely love it. Nowhere near as loud as the Remus Race+AA combo and the sound is much more refined and deep. In fact, couple of my friends who own an OG M2 messaged me saying it sounds pretty similar to their N55. After all I just wanted to improve the sound of my S55 and I’m quite happy with the end result. I’ll let the videos speak for themselves. Here are some cold start, rev and fly-by recordings. For the most accurate representation of the sound, I recommend listening with your headphones since these are just iphone recordings.

That sounds better.

AA midpipe + remus sport or AA midpipe + eisenman sport get my vote

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 12:31 PM   #10
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here's a pic of the built-in resonators on Remus Sport muffler and how they look inside:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Conissah1576.00
      11-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #11
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Remus exhausts are a masterpiece in terms of build quality, perhaps one of the best steel exhausts on the market second to none but Akrapovic (but this is titanium, that's another story ). Supersprint can only learn from Remus, and I'm Italian.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2019, 01:44 PM   #12
Vulpe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Here's a pic of the built-in resonators on Remus Sport muffler and how they look inside:
I was wondering as I looked at pictures on xph. I saw the outer pipes were a little wider than on the Race version. I figured while valves were closed the Sport would be much quieter than Race. But I was going to ask if they sounded much different with valves open as they are both just piped straight out regardless of the muffler/resonators they go through/passed when valves are closed.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #13
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulpe View Post
I was wondering as I looked at pictures on xph. I saw the outer pipes were a little wider than on the Race version. I figured while valves were closed the Sport would be much quieter than Race. But I was going to ask if they sounded much different with valves open as they are both just piped straight out regardless of the muffler/resonators they go through/passed when valves are closed.
Race with AA midpipe still has a deep tone but much louder than Sport with AA in my opinion. For instance, cold start with Race+AA was super loud and always made me nervous (especially in terms of bothering my neighbors). Sport+AA has a better/deeper tone IMO but just not as loud. Cold starts aren't obnoxiously loud anymore. So to answer your question, yes Sport+AA sounds noticeably different than Race+AA from my point of view (more refined, deeper but not as loud).
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 09:03 PM   #14
M4 GTS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02M3 19X3M40 on order 21 GT4

Percentage wise how much louder is the race? Also if you pair Remus with AA mid there will be no cutting of the stock exhaust. Right?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 09:10 PM   #15
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 GTS View Post
Percentage wise how much louder is the race? Also if you pair Remus with AA mid there will be no cutting of the stock exhaust. Right?
Really hard to put a number on it as I don't wanna mislead anyone but I wanna say ~40% (again, comparing Race+AA to Sport+AA). When paired with AA midpipe, it's direct bolt-on, no cutting required.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 08:12 AM   #16
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Quote:
Totally agree. I just can't believe the difference between RemusRace+AA and RemusSport+AA. The former was extremely loud and even the tech who installed the setup said it was one of the loudest he's heard so far (with stock downpipes of course). I should have gone with the Sport version to begin with but anyways...
I ordered the sport off + AA based on your feedback - appreciate that! I was originally going to go with the race but I had a GTR with crazy loud exhaust and while it sounded great, over the long haul, it simply became annoying. I read your posts and figured if you were going through the trouble of fitting one exhaust and then the hassle of buying another one and getting it re-fitted, then the race must have truly been too loud.

At first when I got the AA + Remus Sport, I was a little disappointed, because I thought it was maybe too quiet. But after living with it for a month or so - its perfect. Quiet when my community police are tailing me, loud when I want it to be. There is also certainly room in the volume department to add downpipes (at some point when hell freezes over and OBD tuning is back).
2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      11-08-2019, 09:56 AM   #17
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
Quote:
I ordered the sport off + AA based on your feedback - appreciate that! I was originally going to go with the race but I had a GTR with crazy loud exhaust and while it sounded great, over the long haul, it simply became annoying. I read your posts and figured if you were going through the trouble of fitting one exhaust and then the hassle of buying another one and getting it re-fitted, then the race must have truly been too loud.

At first when I got the AA + Remus Sport, I was a little disappointed, because I thought it was maybe too quiet. But after living with it for a month or so - its perfect. Quiet when my community police are tailing me, loud when I want it to be. There is also certainly room in the volume department to add downpipes (at some point when hell freezes over and OBD tuning is back).
It all comes down to personal preference at the end. I'm sure some people would prefer the higher volume of Race+AA but I just couldn't live with it. As you said, you can always add downpipes to gain some more power and volume. I'm pretty happy right now though.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #18
raywai2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Race with AA midpipe still has a deep tone but much louder than Sport with AA in my opinion. For instance, cold start with Race+AA was super loud and always made me nervous (especially in terms of bothering my neighbors). Sport+AA has a better/deeper tone IMO but just not as loud. Cold starts aren't obnoxiously loud anymore. So to answer your question, yes Sport+AA sounds noticeably different than Race+AA from my point of view (more refined, deeper but not as loud).

How's AA+Sport compare to AA+Race in Sport/Sport+ mode under throttle?

Understandably these two combos are significantly different in volume when in Efficient mode (and during normal start up) when the valves are closed due to the less muffled Race muffler. But when the valves are open, the volume would not be much different (throwing in the AA+stock muffler in the mix as well) since the exhaust flow to the valves is straight through and the flow to the muffler is a diversion? IND has a video comparing their Eisenmann Valved Competition axleback to stock in Efficient, Sport, and Sport+. The volume difference in Sport/Sport+ is indistinguishable.

Curious to hear your real life experience comparing the two combos when the valves are opened.

Last edited by raywai2; 11-08-2019 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 10:42 AM   #19
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Sounds great, congrats OP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      11-08-2019, 11:44 AM   #20
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raywai2 View Post
How's AA+Sport compare to AA+Race in Sport/Sport+ mode under throttle?

Understandably these two combos are significantly different in volume when in Efficient mode (and during normal start up) when the valves are closed due to the less muffled Race muffler. But when the valves are open, the volume would not be much different (throwing in the AA+stock muffler in the mix as well) since the exhaust flow to the valves is straight through and the flow to the muffler is a diversion? IND has a video comparing their Eisenmann Valved Competition axleback to stock in Efficient, Sport, and Sport+. The volume difference in Sport/Sport+ is indistinguishable.

Curious to hear your real life experience comparing the two combos when the valves are opened.
There is a noticeable difference as I mentioned above. Doesn't matter what engine mod you are in, Efficient vs Efficient and Sport+ vs Sport+ are both louder in the favor of Race. I know many think that valves open should be almost identical for Race and Sport but it is not. Race muffler consists of two pieces that look like scuba tanks and they are pretty much empty inside, zero sound insulation. When the valves are open, there is still exhaust flow going into the muffler therefore different mufflers will still produce different sound even when valves are open. So this one difference between the two. Another one is the two resonators that are on the Sport version (see above for pictures). Race system does not have those resonators so those resonators must make the difference actually when the valves are open. Long story short, these are my theories behind the sound difference between two systems. I would get nervous driving valves open (or even closed) with Race+AA because I would think it was too loud and would get me in trouble. Now I can comfortably cruise around the town valves open with Sport+AA system. This setup actually might be slightly louder than my M4 Comp with MPE; on the other hand, Race+AA was definitely a lot louder than my M4 with MPE. This is the best I can explain the difference between two systems. Hope it helps. Also, as I said before, some people might prefer the louder Race setup but it's just not for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #21
AZ-Wildcat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW HS M2C DCT

Well shoot, I think I know what I'm getting myself for Christmas. Bravo!
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      11-08-2019, 05:25 PM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Wildcat View Post
Well shoot, I think I know what I'm getting myself for Christmas. Bravo!
Its cheaper to get it now than wait to Christmas

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0