BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > 2020 Corvette C8 an M2 Killer?

07-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #155
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo View Post
DCT, PDK, S-Tronic = automatic
3 pedal = manual
2 pedal = auto
With all due respect, and I mean with all due respect, you really do not understand the difference between a traditional automatic and a DCT. But I get that if it doesn’t have a pedal attached to the clutch you won’t like it. Understood.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      07-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #156
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I believe this is somewhat misleading marketing. The Z51 package is mainly a tire, brake and suspension package. The main ingredient in the acceleration in that package is the PS4 compared to the PS AS4. Most base C7 with the same tires out accelerate a Z51 because they weigh less. I doubt the gearing will be different as the gears are already short. If they are, then I am wrong lol. I can’t imagine the base model being listed as anything slower than 3.1 seconds 0-60. Still a huge improvement over the C7.
Traction (or lack of) is the enemy of the current Z51 Stingray. I worked hard to get under five seconds 0-60mph with the current model with my Draggy times. We experimented with every mode we could to get in the high 4 seconds 0-60mph. The engine location change is gonna help but without awd my guess it will still be in a real world low 4 second 0-60mph range.
GM like Dodge does a lot of fudging to get their performance numbers and they never use a production floor spec car. You should see what Dodge does to their Hellcat to do 0-60mph runs.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 10:08 AM   #157
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Traction (or lack of) is the enemy of the current Z51 Stingray. I worked hard to get under five seconds 0-60mph with the current model with my Draggy times. We experimented with every mode we could to get in the high 4 seconds 0-60mph. The engine location change is gonna help but without awd my guess it will still be in a real world low 4 second 0-60mph range.
GM like Dodge does a lot of fudging to get their performance numbers and they never use a production floor spec car. You should see what Dodge does to their Hellcat to do 0-60mph runs.
I never got into the 3 second range. I could consistently do 4.2 second. I think I got 5 seconds when I first got it and was trying to figure out how to launch. I have the A8 though.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #158
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
O.k, I am not even going down the road of your perception of the M2C.
Coming from 30 years of Porsche my fanboy glasses of what the M2C is very different than yours.
Your mad about your M2C experience so getting the Vette is your next move. Dump the BMW and get what makes you happy. Life is too short to not love what your driving.
My perception is fantastic of the car. I knew of the S55 long before rumors of the M2 competition using it as its heart. I knew the issues, just never expected the absolute disgraceful QC that this car has had. If you ever saw my posts, the car blew trans/motor, had faulty paint (that cost ME money out of pocket to fix), bad bushings, bad taillight, and other BS I am sure I am forgetting. I need to sit down and write everything down. The QC is a joke.

Now for the car itself, it is a HOT car. I love the looks, but again, that's subjective, and it was fun for the bit I had it. I really had no complaints outside of the awful detuning they subjected the M2 to... but makes sense as it cannot be faster than the more expensive M4. Your perception on me is wrong, I still tell people to buy this car, but Chevy won. That's it. Also, I wouldn't buy a first model year.. you're right. I hardly ever recommend doing so.. Waiting for the 5.2L TT ZR1 anyways..maybe.. who knows.
      07-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #159
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vocan View Post
Don't be too sure of that.

If I were a Cayman shopper I would wait and see...
I dunno, the 718 to me is more of a pure sports car and the a Corvette is more of a GT. Throwing more HP at it, doesn’t change that. I think this is why Cadillac doesn’t offer a luxury version. They tried that once and it didn’t pan out for them. So the Corvette straddles a quasi sports car/GT aura to fill both areas. We love our Boxster but even with it loaded up with goodies, it just seems more basic.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 10:21 AM   #160
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrunt View Post
I am giving this C8 some serious thought. My last Corvette was a 2014 C7 Z51 then I transitioned from the C7 to a 2015 M3 then onto a 2018 M5 F90 in August of 2018. The wife and I were thinking about getting her a M2, Cayman S/GTS and now the C8. We took the Cayman S/GTS out of the equation because of the exhaust sound. My wife stated it sounded like a 70's VW Bug and she did not care how the car handled or drove. I know how she feels since the exhaust sound was the driving factor for me getting rid of the F80 M3 for the F90 M5. Truth be told I picked the F90 over a new 911 S / GTS. I thought I would transition from the M3 into a 911 but the M5 won me over.

I had a chance to see and sit in the new C8 this past Monday at Bob Stall Chevrolet in SoCal. The dealership is selling the C8 at MSRP and taking deposits. After seeing the car in person we are seriously thinking about buying the C8.

I respect other peoples views but to say the Corvette is a boy racer vehicle in my opinion is way off base. I am 53 and one of the youngest people at the dealership looking at the C8 this past Monday, look at the people in the background.

I have owned a good many Corvettes with the first being a 1991 C4 Corvette that I purchased when I was 25 (1991). I was running the 1/4 mile at Maryland International Raceway and was running consistent 13.7's for the 1/4 mile and took the trophy for the evening. My favorite was the 2012 C6 Z06/Z07 parked in my driveway, I should have kept that vehicle.

If my wife does not want the new C8, I will more then likely sell the M5 (F90) and transition back to the Corvette family.

I have to agree that the service department at some Chevrolet dealerships is not always great.
Were those the GT2 or comp seats you sat in? How were they?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 10:47 AM   #161
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Logan View Post
My perception is fantastic of the car. I knew of the S55 long before rumors of the M2 competition using it as its heart. I knew the issues, just never expected the absolute disgraceful QC that this car has had. If you ever saw my posts, the car blew trans/motor, had faulty paint (that cost ME money out of pocket to fix), bad bushings, bad taillight, and other BS I am sure I am forgetting. I need to sit down and write everything down. The QC is a joke.

Now for the car itself, it is a HOT car. I love the looks, but again, that's subjective, and it was fun for the bit I had it. I really had no complaints outside of the awful detuning they subjected the M2 to... but makes sense as it cannot be faster than the more expensive M4. Your perception on me is wrong, I still tell people to buy this car, but Chevy won. That's it. Also, I wouldn't buy a first model year.. you're right. I hardly ever recommend doing so.. Waiting for the 5.2L TT ZR1 anyways..maybe.. who knows.
god now I'm freaking out about what else is bad on my car!
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #162
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazet View Post
Dont be. Stuff happens and thats why we have warranties. You see a lot of bad stuff on forums because most come come here to get answers and report issues. I have see a transmission fail the way home from the dealership on a $160K Porsche 911 turbo with 30 miles on the odometer. This was a fellow PCA member and Porsche just replaced the transmission. Forums will make you paranoid if you dont view them in the big picture.

Last edited by MystroX5; 07-25-2019 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
BlkSVT388.50
      07-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #163
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.boost View Post
As a current Cayman owner, I would never trade my car in for this c8 or any corvette for that matter despite them being “faster.” I don’t dislike it, but I’d never want to own it either.

There’s more to it than just the numbers on paper. What level of service will you receive at GM vs Porsche? Whats the build quality like? What’s the community like with other owners of the same car? What’s the stigma? Would you want to be seen in it? Just my 2 cents.
Yeah just imagine having to visit a crusty Chevrolet dealership and sit in the waiting room with some crusty folks that are getting their Malibu serviced....yuck.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #164
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Chevy owners are crusty folks? Time to climb down, not everyone can afford a new BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #165
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

IMO it's a Supra killer. They're going to debut the Supra at essentially the same price. For a 2 seater it makes no sense to not get the Corvette.
      07-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #166
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Wrong.

The C8 transmission is a ZF transmission. The new GT500 is getting a 7spd Tremec DCT.
Wrong.

Quote:
The gearbox that ended up in the Corvette is a DCT designed and built by Tremec.
Source: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...rsche-gearbox/
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #167
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I believe this is somewhat misleading marketing. The Z51 package is mainly a tire, brake and suspension package. The main ingredient in the acceleration in that package is the PS4 compared to the PS AS4. Most base C7 with the same tires out accelerate a Z51 because they weigh less. I doubt the gearing will be different as the gears are already short. If they are, then I am wrong lol. I can’t imagine the base model being listed as anything slower than 3.1 seconds 0-60. Still a huge improvement over the C7.
Quote:
the C8's Z51 package adds an electronic limited-slip differential, bigger (iron) brake rotors and calipers, and different transmission ratios.
Source: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...c8-first-ride/
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 12:03 PM   #168
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Now that is just weird. The brochure handed out at outings says ZF.
      07-25-2019, 12:44 PM   #169
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazet View Post
edge case rn. That said I feel bad for FSU_Logan, we were literally waiting for our cars on the same boat
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #170
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

[QUOTE=FSU_Logan;25068021]My perception is fantastic of the car. I knew of the S55 long before rumors of the M2 competition using it as its heart. I knew the issues, just never expected the absolute disgraceful QC that this car has had. If you ever saw my posts, the car blew trans/motor, had faulty paint (that cost ME money out of pocket to fix), bad bushings, bad taillight, and other BS I am sure I am forgetting. I need to sit down and write everything down. The QC is a joke.

I wonder if your car was built during one of the many beer festivals such as Oktoberfest. The entire country of Germany is under the influence of BEER and surely automotive factory workers are not immune to the festivities. You might have a beer car.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      07-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #171
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
edge case rn. That said I feel bad for FSU_Logan, we were literally waiting for our cars on the same boat
Its cool man, shit happens.. hope yours is fine.

I got a call today that BMW wants $5k+ from me to pay for the repairs.. This is after they told me it was fully covered under warranty. Lol. I'll update when I can.
      07-25-2019, 01:07 PM   #172
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Its cool man, shit happens.. hope yours is fine.

I got a call today that BMW wants $5k+ from me to pay for the repairs.. This is after they told me it was fully covered under warranty. Lol. I'll update when I can.
Good to hear man. I'm hoping they turn the whole thing around and you enjoy it
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 01:14 PM   #173
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, kicking myself for buying a car that blew its motor and transmission without 3,000 on it on stock tune and all. Driving at like 45 mph and having your car let go is real fun.
Yes, I regret it over the C8. The quality of a C6 was pretty poor.. C7 was far better.. C8 is going to be on par.. Let's not kid ourselves, the M2C is the entry level M series car.. the interior is nothing even remotely special (worse than new premium Mustangs/2ss Camaros/Chargers).. You're fanboying HARD. Anyone who thinks the M2 > C8 is just kidding themselves. We're talking better motor, better transmission, better aero, lighter, mid engine... More space is the only counterpoint..but the M2 is a coupe.. we're talking 2 seats in the back that show the difference.

Put your fanboying to the side and look at these cars. I like both, obviously, but Chevy wins this battle.

Also many people find the M2 to be "ugly af", so that really means nothing.
Just ask BMW to buy your car back and go troll the Chevy forums, PLEASE!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 01:24 PM   #174
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Just ask BMW to buy your car back and go troll the Chevy forums, PLEASE!
And this is why BMW owners get such a bad rep.

People are allowed to like multiple cars. People are allowed to like others cars more than their cars.

Fanboying is bad for the industry. You're the only one trolling.
      07-25-2019, 02:03 PM   #175
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
And this is why BMW owners get such a bad rep.

People are allowed to like multiple cars. People are allowed to like others cars more than their cars.

Fanboying is bad for the industry. You're the only one trolling.
I'm not the one that blew up my car and then whine about it in every post. I've had 30K+ flawless miles on my S55's.

People vote with their wallets, if you hate the car sell it and get something you like so we don't have to hear you cry about making payments on a broken car anymore.

I'm no fanboy, I've owned BMW, Mini, Mazda, Lotus, Nissan, Porsche, Honda, VW, Subaru, Toyota.

Last edited by CosmosMpower; 07-25-2019 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 02:11 PM   #176
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Chevy owners are crusty folks? Time to climb down, not everyone can afford a new BMW.
We're talking about people that are buying a C8 Vette, so yes those people can afford a new BMW.

You've clearly never been inside a chevy dealership and seen the average clientele. I'd rather hang out in a BMW/Lexus dealer waiting room personally if I was getting my $60K+ dollar car serviced.
Appreciate 1
grl.racr382.50