BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Colour temperature of stock BMW xenon?

05-27-2019, 07:52 AM   #1
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Colour temperature of stock BMW xenon?

Had CBI (cool blue intense) D1S xenon bulbs in my previous car, amazing bulb great output and pure white light without trashy blue tinge.

Tbf I haven't questioned the stock M2 xenon bulbs as they look relatively white but can anyone tell what stock bulb and it's Kelvin temperature tha BMW use?

I know on many Mercs these days CBI are fitted as standard he ce you see so many white lights on those cars these days.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

You have a pre-LCI car?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #3
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Yes 2016 MY
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 12:21 PM   #4
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Should be the default 4300K
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 01:02 PM   #5
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

oh thank you for confirming. is swapping out the xenon bulb straightforward or not?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 02:32 AM   #6
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
oh thank you for confirming. is swapping out the xenon bulb straightforward or not?
Yes

- front wheels either on full lock or removed.
- remove flap on inner arch liner
- remove protective cap
- release retaining spring clip
- twist - CCW IIRC - gently to remove old D1S bulb
- insert new bulb and twist to lock back in.
- reinstall spring clip, cover, liner flap and wheel

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 05:09 PM   #7
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

I just did my indicator front bulbs through the hatch but didn't dream that the xenon's were accessible that way too?! The hatch is really rather tiny. Hmmm!

Are those heatsinks for the ballasts then?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 03:37 AM   #8
bdon_
;-;
United_States
Rep

I can confirm on my pre-lci that there is only a small rectangular access panel in the wheel arches for the turn signal bulbs. Access to the headlight bulbs is blocked by the wheel arch liner.

The wheel arch liner is two pieces, and the front half has to be removed. I turned the wheels to the left for the driver side and right to do the passenger side. I found this gave the most room to access the 9 bolts to remove each liner.

After pulling the liner down against the tire, it was tight but I could reach my hand in. From there I could:
-rotate the circular protective cap to remove
-rotate the retaining collar CCW to release the bulb. There are two tabs, one on each side of the bulb, and they rotate with each other. It’s one piece.
-pull bulb out (very tight!) and then unplug the cable

Reverse order to install the new bulb, except I found it very difficult to seat it correctly without good visual confirmation. There are these small metal retaining fingers along each side that pinch the base of the bulb. If you don’t insert it perfectly straight on, one side will catch and it won’t seat correctly, with the small fingers wanting to bend inward if you kept pushing. They are very tight. I started the car and checked the headlight beam multiple times before I confirmed it was seated correctly. Rotate the collar CW to lock into place. I noticed that the collar will still rotate and have a lock feel even if it’s inserted slightly askew, so this isn’t a satisfying confirmation. It’s really quite finicky.

I expect all of my issues would have been moot had I removed the wheel and liner completely so I could stick my head in and see the bulb, locking clip, and metal retaining finger clearly in front of me. I’d recommend this over trying to do it with the wheels still on.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #9
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Wow thanks this sounds like a nightmare! Wish the car just had the LCI system, so strange that was also revised.
I hardly drive at night so will leave it for now or get a garage to do it when in for other things maybe. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #10
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

FYI amazon BF deal just bought x2 CBI D1S xenarc bulbs for £75

will get Darren Wood garage to fit them when I get the carbon brace installed there.
Appreciate 0