BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Harness for M2C

02-07-2020, 09:48 AM   #1
jreifler
Rep
Drives: 2002 M Coupe

Harness for M2C

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I have searched and come up short.

Has anyone had any luck sourcing a proper harness solution for the M2C? I have seen the Schroth QuickFit solution adapted and used on the M2, but obviously, that doesn't transfer well to the M2C's seats, which have no removable headrest.

Looking for something / anything that will allow me to safely and securely track the M2C and utilize a HANS device.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 10:49 AM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreifler View Post
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I have searched and come up short.

Has anyone had any luck sourcing a proper harness solution for the M2C? I have seen the Schroth QuickFit solution adapted and used on the M2, but obviously, that doesn't transfer well to the M2C's seats, which have no removable headrest.

Looking for something / anything that will allow me to safely and securely track the M2C and utilize a HANS device.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Can't do it with the stock seats, any harness solution will slide off the top of the shoulder bouslters and render the harness useless. if you want to be able to do it safely you'll need a seat with provisions for a shoulder harness, I'm not talking about a cheapo eBay seat I'm talking about a race regulated seat. Especially if you plan on running a hans device. A fixed back seat would be preferred so it won't crumple in the event of an accident.

This is why I hate stock BMW seats including the M seats, since they only look sporty but don't have the provisions an amg or Porsche sport seat would have.

Note: you can get a top end fixed back race regulation approved seat for less than some shoulder harnesses, for example the sparco profii series.
      02-07-2020, 10:53 AM   #3
jreifler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Can't do it with the stock seats, any harness solution will slide off the top of the shoulder bouslters and render the harness useless. if you want to be able to do it safely you'll need a seat with provisions for a shoulder harness, I'm not talking about a cheapo eBay seat I'm talking about a race regulated seat. Especially if you plan on running a hans device. A fixed back seat would be preferred so it won't crumple in the event of an accident.

This is why I hate stock BMW seats including the M seats, since they only look sporty but don't have the provisions an amg or Porsche sport seat would have.

Note: you can get a top end fixed back race regulation approved seat for less than some shoulder harnesses, for example the sparco profii series.
That seems like such a shortcoming on BMW's part. This is their most "trackable" driver's car. I'd hate to ditch the comfort and aesthetics of the stock seats, but I refuse to track without proper safety measures.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 11:55 AM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That seems like such a shortcoming on BMW's part. This is their most "trackable" driver's car. I'd hate to ditch the comfort and aesthetics of the stock seats, but I refuse to track without proper safety measures.
It's actually because the majority of M owners only care about comfort which is softening these cars up.

Imo it's one or the other, function or form, even oem seats like Porsches fixed back carbon buckets with harness support doesn't have heating or any real adjustments.

Also if you're tracking a stock car on stock tires, I don't think you'll be able to push it hard enough to really need anything but a helmet, that's how alot of guys do it. Imo there are more critical things to do for a track day before getting a seat + harness setup, such as a good fire extinguisher setup, roll cage because if the roof crumpled there's no point in having a harness, and nomex race suit.

Otherwise if a harness + Hans device is a must have right now, make sure you get a proper seat and a proper harness that supports the Hans device, which means a harness and seat with leg strap allocations so you don't submarine in the event of a crash.
      02-07-2020, 12:15 PM   #5
jreifler
Rep

Quote:
It's actually because the majority of M owners only care about comfort which is softening these cars up.

Imo it's one or the other, function or form, even oem seats like Porsches fixed back carbon buckets with harness support doesn't have heating or any real adjustments.

Also if you're tracking a stock car on stock tires, I don't think you'll be able to push it hard enough to really need anything but a helmet, that's how alot of guys do it. Imo there are more critical things to do for a track day before getting a seat + harness setup, such as a good fire extinguisher setup, roll cage because if the roof crumpled there's no point in having a harness, and nomex race suit.

Otherwise if a harness + Hans device is a must have right now, make sure you get a proper seat and a proper harness that supports the Hans device, which means a harness and seat with leg strap allocations so you don't submarine in the event of a crash.
Should have clarified - I'm consolidating down from a dedicated Cayman track car, which is fully-caged, fire-prepped, on slicks, trailered, etc. I also instruct, so would be looking to make sure I could safely accommodate a passenger as well.

I'm just now looking into the prospect of possibly using the M2C as a dual-purpose car that I can drive to the track. Obviously wouldn't be pushing the same limits I do the Cayman, but am beyond the point where I'm comfortable with just a 3-point and street tires.

Will keep considering and researching. Might add a half-cage and proper buckets, but really don't want to destroy all comfort as a dual . . .
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 01:17 PM   #6
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

I would just do the "seat belt yank, lock belt and then move seat back up" maneuver.
      02-07-2020, 01:57 PM   #7
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I've heard if you have a harness, you must have a cage. This is because of your fixed position in a rollover doesn't allow for any roof collapse.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 03:44 PM   #8
Zoomzoommo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

I’m considering this, especially since I instruct at DE’s. Designed to work with oem belts.

https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...mpson-hybrid-s
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 06:30 PM   #9
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Should have clarified - I'm consolidating down from a dedicated Cayman track car, which is fully-caged, fire-prepped, on slicks, trailered, etc. I also instruct, so would be looking to make sure I could safely accommodate a passenger as well.

I'm just now looking into the prospect of possibly using the M2C as a dual-purpose car that I can drive to the track. Obviously wouldn't be pushing the same limits I do the Cayman, but am beyond the point where I'm comfortable with just a 3-point and street tires.

Will keep considering and researching. Might add a half-cage and proper buckets, but really don't want to destroy all comfort as a dual . . .
I see, then maybe get a recaro sportster CS style seat, they recline and move forward and back, but still have the harness slots. So pretty much an oem + seat like in the nismo 370z. And of course a roll cage is a must, especially with passengers on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
I would just do the "seat belt yank, lock belt and then move seat back up" maneuver.
Personally I think it's a Terrible idea, unless you like submarining. Your upper body is still extremely loose, It also wouldn't help with the Hans device.
      04-18-2024, 11:41 PM   #10
bern1e
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Hi guys, apologies to bring up an old thread.

I am starting to track the car and would really like to use a harness for a more secure feel.

Anyone tried designing and 3D printing a guide that we can secure or loop around the stock seat in order to use a harness? Seems crazy expensive to have to change the seat just to use a harness.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 12:44 AM   #11
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bern1e View Post
Hi guys, apologies to bring up an old thread.

I am starting to track the car and would really like to use a harness for a more secure feel.

Anyone tried designing and 3D printing a guide that we can secure or loop around the stock seat in order to use a harness? Seems crazy expensive to have to change the seat just to use a harness.
That wouldn't be safe. Because if the shoulder harness were to slip out or break free from the 3d printed mount, then you would be thrown out of the seat.
      04-19-2024, 03:11 AM   #12
bern1e
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
That wouldn't be safe. Because if the shoulder harness were to slip out or break free from the 3d printed mount, then you would be thrown out of the seat.

I see where you are coming from... Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like not much of a choice then. I actually find the stock seat pretty comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 03:33 AM   #13
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bern1e View Post
I see where you are coming from... Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like not much of a choice then. I actually find the stock seat pretty comfortable.
No worries. But yeah what I was saying is that if you were to unfortunately crash and get thrown around in the seat. If that load was enough to break the bracket your belts are slipping off and then you would be susceptible to being launched out of the seat. So not ideal, and why you need a seat that natively supports harnesses.
bern1e0.00
      04-19-2024, 06:43 AM   #14
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

yeah don't play around with this, get a new seat. Cobra nogaros look great and fit well with the interior and will hold you better. If you need both seats recaro makes reclinable seats with harness holes.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 07:34 AM   #15
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Personally I prefer the sparco qrt evo series of seats for fixed back buckets. They're lighter than most of the competition and support 6 point harnesses and hans devices.
      04-19-2024, 09:47 AM   #16
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I'm theorizing (fantasizing?) about getting a local upholstery shop to frame up belt holes thru the stock seats. Internally they are identical to the first gen seats (headrest held via 2 bars, so the belts would be secure) so it is just a matter of having a nice looking path for them. I have a full set of quickfits and Hans from my last 2-series that I can't use with these seats.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 04:58 PM   #17
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Personally I prefer the sparco qrt evo series of seats for fixed back buckets. They're lighter than most of the competition and support 6 point harnesses and hans devices.
I concur on the SPARCO QRT's.

I have the 13.9 lb CF ones and they are more comfortable than I thought they would be
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 1
F87source7247.00