BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Did you skip the Xpel or Suntek PPF

12-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #67
JWMII
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, GLE53, GLA 250

PPF Update

I've just washed my car after picking up from my PPF appt. While drying my car, this conversation came to me. It dawned on me at that point that FSULogan is either not concerned about the appearance of his cars, leases, flips, or trades in cars every year or so, or drives in pristine conditions in FL. Driving around Northern VA in a car you care about without PPF is just asking for it. In 800 miles over the past 3 weeks I've owned the car, I see 3 noticeable nicks in the front end due to rocks and debris which is common around here due to potholes, weather and constant road construction. All of that for me to state what's been said in thread 100 times. If you care about your paint and you have the money, get PPF (on the front end at minimum.....about $1k at most). If not, save your money and enjoy your car. Side note, not a hint of color deterioration in the HS due to PPF. All the hues and secondary colors in that paint are still there and quite noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 03:59 PM   #68
TheAMackAttack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 LBB DCT

Seen some references to the cost to remove PPF. Does anyone have experience removing PPF? How much does it cost / how labor intensive is it??
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 11:05 PM   #69
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAMackAttack View Post
Seen some references to the cost to remove PPF. Does anyone have experience removing PPF? How much does it cost / how labor intensive is it??
You can do it yourself. Doesn’t look hard at all.

I know I will be doing it myself in 4 or so years.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 01:31 AM   #70
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWMII View Post
I've just washed my car after picking up from my PPF appt. While drying my car, this conversation came to me. It dawned on me at that point that FSULogan is either not concerned about the appearance of his cars, leases, flips, or trades in cars every year or so, or drives in pristine conditions in FL. Driving around Northern VA in a car you care about without PPF is just asking for it. In 800 miles over the past 3 weeks I've owned the car, I see 3 noticeable nicks in the front end due to rocks and debris which is common around here due to potholes, weather and constant road construction. All of that for me to state what's been said in thread 100 times. If you care about your paint and you have the money, get PPF (on the front end at minimum.....about $1k at most). If not, save your money and enjoy your car. Side note, not a hint of color deterioration in the HS due to PPF. All the hues and secondary colors in that paint are still there and quite noticeable.
I think he said he drives his cars and they don't get stone chips. So if he never gets them, PPF doesn't make any sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 05:44 AM   #71
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeahso View Post
It doesn't. It throws off inconsistent reflectance which is particularly noticeable while wearing polarising lenses.

My understanding is that it's caused by the film being heated & stretched inconsistently during application. Perhaps this is a mark of applicator experience, and that I've only seen poor workmanship.

You're unlikely to see it in any YouTube video, nor will you get any person with PPF wanting to admit it.

Get a junk yard fender partially coated with PPF and then handle it yourself in sunlight.

There's no question PPF protects the paint. And in 5 years, the paint will (hopefully) look as new when the film is removed. I say hopefully as I've heard as many negative stories of paint condition after film removal as positive ones.

For me, (and this could depends on your region) PPF install and removal is as much, or more than respraying the entire car (the same colour). During that 5 years, living with a couple of stone chips on the front bumper is the lesser evil than the compromised reflectance consistency that (I believe) PPF causes.

Another thing (and again, this is region dependant), if I have PPF on my car, and get stone chip through the PPF, there is far less places I can get that seen to with. I live in a town of 6,000 people, but there's 3 panel beaters / paint shops. They will see to the fault straight away. The nearest PPF applicators are 4 hours away.

I've also never been able to find a PPF applicator that will guarantee condition of the paint under the film beyond 3 years. It's hard enough getting them to quote on a decommission - again, likely regionally dependant.

Using your grandmothers situation. I'm sure she wouldn't of had plastic on the furniture, if she'd paid as much for the plastic as what it would cost to reupholster the furniture.

Final point, saw comment about a resprayed car being worth less money. Even a 3/10 paint shop can achieve a BMW OEM paint quality finish. Most will better it.

With all that said, I don't discount anyone that sees the value in PPF. It's just (in my opinion) it's not the absolute must-have that it is perceived to be on forums.
Respraying does lower the value of a car in the US anyway. They can't tell by eye. When a dealership or large buyer looks at your car they will pull out a paint thickness gauge. They can tell that the clear is thicker than OEM and will ding you for a respray. Not fair, but that's how it goes. They assume it might be an undisclosed accident. Some can feel around the door jambs and tell also.
Appreciate 1
mikeahso411.50
      12-17-2018, 05:54 AM   #72
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAMackAttack View Post
As someone mentioned above, it's not difficult. The most common reason would be having it replaced. In that case the installer typically does it for little or no cost when installing new film.

Some ~a little~ heat is needed to lift the film. I'd try a smaller less conspicuous piece before tackling the hood for example. Personally, I rather have an experienced shop do it.

Last edited by devo; 12-17-2018 at 06:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #73
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
it's for the current owner. You wash your car, because you want it to look nice. You ppf your car, because you want it to look nice. You don't wash you car because of the next owner.
Well technically he's right. Spending that type of money on something that has absolutely no difference in resale value doesn't suffice for me doing it. There's a reason those shops mainly do super high end vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #74
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
Quote:
it's for the current owner. You wash your car, because you want it to look nice. You ppf your car, because you want it to look nice. You don't wash you car because of the next owner.
Well technically he's right. Spending that type of money on something that has absolutely no difference in resale value doesn't suffice for me doing it. There's a reason those shops mainly do super high end vehicles.
As an investment it makes more sense for future high end vehicles for sure. I guess it pays for itself and then some on the right car.

I think most BMW owners getting it are thinking about preserving the new car paint look for themselves. I just think of it like there is a dollar amount I would pay to keep the car looking as new, and I think most people buying a BMW would agree that has some value to them, but obviously they don't all value it at the current cost of PPF.

A friend with a BRZ got it too. I'm sure he'll own that car at least five years. He was hesitant to get PPF but he was looking at his Honda Fit and seeing all the chips on it. He was very excited to get the BRZ and thought about the trashed front end of the Fit and thought if the PPF preserved the front of a car he likes and is excited about for years to come then that's worth it to him, even though obliviously it's not going to preserve value like it would on a gt3rs. Years from now he'll still get to enjoy the like new appearance of his daily driven car.
Appreciate 3
      12-17-2018, 05:36 PM   #75
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Quote:
As an investment it makes more sense for future high end vehicles for sure. I guess it pays for itself and then some on the right car.

I think most BMW owners getting it are thinking about preserving the new car paint look for themselves. I just think of it like there is a dollar amount I would pay to keep the car looking as new, and I think most people buying a BMW would agree that has some value to them, but obviously they don't all value it at the current cost of PPF.

A friend with a BRZ got it too. I'm sure he'll own that car at least five years. He was hesitant to get PPF but he was looking at his Honda Fit and seeing all the chips on it. He was very excited to get the BRZ and thought about the trashed front end of the Fit and thought if the PPF preserved the front of a car he likes and is excited about for years to come then that's worth it to him, even though obliviously it's not going to preserve value like it would on a gt3rs. Years from now he'll still get to enjoy the like new appearance of his daily driven car.
Very well said, man. Agree with everything you noted
      12-17-2018, 06:00 PM   #76
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
I don't care if I'll get my money back on clear bra or not. I'm not seeing it as an investment and not doing it for the future owner. Even as a daily or weekend car, these cars get quite a few rock chips and seeing those paint imperfections annoys the crap out of me. Now imagine going to a track day without PPF... Tracks I have been to usually are pretty clean but there is still occasional small rocks, rubber, dirt coming at you from other cars. So in my case, PPF is solely for my own peace of mind and happiness. I rather not worry about putting temporary protection before each track day or getting the front end resprayed every few years.
Appreciate 3
MR_M2519.00
HS_M2C118.50
      12-18-2018, 02:18 AM   #77
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Has anybody used premium shield elite?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #78
StavsM2C
CSOUSAX603
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F82 M2C SO DCT+EP

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 BMW X3  [0.00]
Heading straight to my guys at Cover Up Solutions in Salem, NH and having the whole car wrapped in Xpel PPF STEALTH with the roof and mirror caps wrapped in gloss Carbon Fiber...

I'll upload pics in about 3 weeks once it's completed. Car should be here the 28th! Excited to see the Matte Sunset Orange as it should make all my CF parts POP!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #79
bjorn///M
Private
Philippines
Rep
Drives: m2c

Question to those people who PPF on their car, do u guys worry about discoloration on the film after some time or have experienced this? I’m planning to keep the car for a long time and worried about PPF turning yellow specially on a color like HS.
      12-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #80
JWMII
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, GLE53, GLA 250

Corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn///M View Post
Question to those people who PPF on their car, do u guys worry about discoloration on the film after some time or have experienced this? I’m planning to keep the car for a long time and worried about PPF turning yellow specially on a color like HS.
I'll allow the pros from XPEL and 3M speak on the specifics, but I'm pretty sure film has that issue in its rearview.
Appreciate 1
bjorn///M121.00
      12-18-2018, 02:48 PM   #81
dubzz24
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn///M View Post
From when I was doing my research, if I recall correctly, the Suntek ultra and XPEL both have a 10 year warranty against bubbling / peeling / discoloration.

I have the Suntek on mine and it's already saved my bumper from a nice gouge from a few flying rocks on the freeway. My windshield wasn't as lucky in that encounter. Now I need to wait for a sunny day and see if the film will heal itself like how it's advertised!
Appreciate 1
bjorn///M121.00
      12-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #82
hyperrift
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

I'm having the hardest time deciding. I've read almost every topic here and on some other forums, people have mixed opinions.

I've been quoted about XPEL Ultimate Plus at $1500-2000 for the entire front hood/bumper/fenders with mirrors and pillars.

I kind of also want at least the rockers and rear fenders covered.

Ceramic coating ranges from $800 for ~2 year Ano to $1600 for ~9 year GTechnique Crystal Serum Ultra.

I'm also considering just the Crystal Serum Ultra for $1600 with no PPF, but then chips can still happen..

Also the Crystal Serum Ultra is rated for 9 years and chemically bonds, if I put that on top of the PPF will the PPF need to be replaced before 9 years? If so the ceramic is kind of wasted.

Ultimately I'm kind of lazy about washing my car and all, I think the ceramic at least would be helpful.. but I just don't know, I'm having a hard time deciding.

By the time I add window tinting we're talking about over $4,000 and it's hard to justify to myself when I'm second guessing the effectiveness. If an accident happens or something, then the stuff needs to be redone. I've even heard of large rocks going through both the PPF and ceramic.. then you need to redo everything?

Will I get enough rock chips using the ceramic that it will really bother me? Will the ceramic over the PPF be good for a long time? Should I get at least the front bumper in PPF even if nothing else?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #83
dubzz24
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperrift View Post
Will I get enough rock chips using the ceramic that it will really bother me? Will the ceramic over the PPF be good for a long time? Should I get at least the front bumper in PPF even if nothing else?
Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. One thing to keep in mind is that ceramic coating won't do much to prevent rock chips. It's more for helping with swirling, light scratches, and ease of cleaning.

Most of my driving is freeway and I live in an area with lots of construction, gravel trucks, and winter. On my last truck I bought brand new, the front bumper looked like a golf ball after just 2 years and no amount of touch up paint could help it. I went for the PPF on the M2 strictly for the rock chip protection. When it comes time to sell it, I can peel off the film (if it's not in great shape still) and the car will look brand new underneath. Some people say that it won't help resale, but I know speaking for myself as a buyer, I'd definitely pay a premium for a car with original brand new looking paint.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 08:21 PM   #84
arwin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2

Once I borrowed a buddies GT3RS...I parked it in the parking lot and then the unthinkable happened...someone else came and tried to park beside the car and ended up bumping into it. It was a light tap but there was definitely some rubbing action against the rear quarter panel. I was panicking because this was a brand new GT3RS too.

When I went to look at the damage, the PPF took all the damage and protected the paint. This could have been way worse but all that was needed was to replace the PPF. From that point on, I decided that once I got my M2, I was definitely going to put PPF on my car too.

I've seen the PPF in action and it saved this brand new GT3RS, save your cars too!!
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
akkando5863.00
      12-19-2018, 07:09 AM   #85
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperrift View Post
I'm having the hardest time deciding. I've read almost every topic here and on some other forums, people have mixed opinions.

I've been quoted about XPEL Ultimate Plus at $1500-2000 for the entire front hood/bumper/fenders with mirrors and pillars.

I kind of also want at least the rockers and rear fenders covered.

Ceramic coating ranges from $800 for ~2 year Ano to $1600 for ~9 year GTechnique Crystal Serum Ultra.

I'm also considering just the Crystal Serum Ultra for $1600 with no PPF, but then chips can still happen..

Also the Crystal Serum Ultra is rated for 9 years and chemically bonds, if I put that on top of the PPF will the PPF need to be replaced before 9 years? If so the ceramic is kind of wasted.

Ultimately I'm kind of lazy about washing my car and all, I think the ceramic at least would be helpful.. but I just don't know, I'm having a hard time deciding.

By the time I add window tinting we're talking about over $4,000 and it's hard to justify to myself when I'm second guessing the effectiveness. If an accident happens or something, then the stuff needs to be redone. I've even heard of large rocks going through both the PPF and ceramic.. then you need to redo everything?

Ceramic coating a new car is really easy and I would advise doing so yourself. If you have any friends with a detailing connect, buy the product thru them
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 01:45 PM   #86
S55bruh
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpine White

Doing it...

Was quoted 3k from a local paint and body guy.
Suntek Full frontal, full hood, mirrors, fenders.
Gloss black vinyl roof wrap.
Whole car geyon quartz application on top of PPF
Interior protection
Full wheel protection coating.
All windows and front 6 inches of windshield tinted with carbon tint.

I think all that is a fair price.

This will be my first BMW so I kinda want to get as much protection as I can get since I’m going to drive the shit out of it.
Appreciate 3
      12-19-2018, 04:27 PM   #87
Protatomonster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Kia Stinger 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwin View Post
Once I borrowed a buddies GT3RS...I parked it in the parking lot and then the unthinkable happened...someone else came and tried to park beside the car and ended up bumping into it. It was a light tap but there was definitely some rubbing action against the rear quarter panel. I was panicking because this was a brand new GT3RS too.

When I went to look at the damage, the PPF took all the damage and protected the paint. This could have been way worse but all that was needed was to replace the PPF. From that point on, I decided that once I got my M2, I was definitely going to put PPF on my car too.

I've seen the PPF in action and it saved this brand new GT3RS, save your cars too!!
That's crazy by chance do you have any photos of this ? Would love to see the impact.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:20 AM   #88
JackyStuntin
JackyStuntin
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Skipped only because I'm planing to wrap the car in the future
Appreciate 0