BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Simple detailing questions

09-29-2018, 09:13 AM   #1
switzerr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Simple detailing questions

Car has both a ceramic coating and paint protection film. Do I still wax it? And do I wax the film?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

I use Reload on mine, spray on cloth and wipe and then light buff with second dry cloth. Shine and dirt resistance is really good, rivals my old carnuba systems for shine (like 95% as good for shine) but 1/10th the work.
Lots of vids on YouTube on reload, I find it lasts a solid 3-5 months depending on weather (I winter drive my M2 commuter car so it sees some really bad slushy salty conditions). I usually redo it well before it even requires it, after a car wash I use reload as the drying lube on my dry towels. So it has a good coat of it at all times. I use it over my 3m and tinted windows too.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #3
monochrom3
Former P-Car Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (TBD)

Do not wax ceramic coating. Regarding PPF, you should confirm if ceramic coating was done on it. It should if you had the entire car done.
      10-02-2018, 06:43 PM   #4
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Was the car coated then PPF'd or was it PPF'd then coated?

+1 to momo on waxing ceramic coating - the coating will wick away wax and you'll get hazing.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
switzerr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
Was the car coated then PPF'd or was it PPF'd then coated?

+1 to momo on waxing ceramic coating - the coating will wick away wax and you'll get hazing.
Not entirely sure since it was done by the previous owner. I will contact the shop and see what I can find out.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 02:17 PM   #6
BSMF87
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by switzerr View Post
Not entirely sure since it was done by the previous owner. I will contact the shop and see what I can find out.
They wrap then coat. You wouldn't be able to wrap a coated car, it won't stick. Don't use wax, use Reload.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 05:11 PM   #7
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSMF87 View Post
They wrap then coat. You wouldn't be able to wrap a coated car, it won't stick. Don't use wax, use Reload.
This is absolutely false. This is a copy/paste from a previous post of mine, regarding this:

Here is a link to a thread regarding this. Jeff, an XPel representative, clearly states that you CAN apply XPel over a coating. It simply changes the adhesive properties of the film, making application of PPF different, not inadvisable. It can be done, just as easily as without a ceramic coating underneath it, and with excellent results.

https://www.tintdude.com/forum/topic...coated-paint/?

I have applied a ceramic coating underneath PPF on all of our cars for the past decade. We have never once had an issue with adhesion. (And before anyone asks, there IS a reason for applying it beneath, and on top of the PPF!)

This particular example of inaccurate information is kind of a pet peeve of mine, haha. Just doing my bit as a community service....
      10-31-2018, 07:02 PM   #8
BSMF87
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
This is absolutely false. This is a copy/paste from a previous post of mine, regarding this:

Here is a link to a thread regarding this. Jeff, an XPel representative, clearly states that you CAN apply XPel over a coating. It simply changes the adhesive properties of the film, making application of PPF different, not inadvisable. It can be done, just as easily as without a ceramic coating underneath it, and with excellent results.

I have applied a ceramic coating underneath PPF on all of our cars for the past decade. We have never once had an issue with adhesion. (And before anyone asks, there IS a reason for applying it beneath, and on top of the PPF!)

This particular example of inaccurate information is kind of a pet peeve of mine, haha. Just doing my bit as a community service....
I had my car wrapped with 3M and coated with Cquartz pro, the installer forgot to wrap the truck ledge so he put it on after the car was coated. A month later it came off with a pressure washer. I took it back to my installer to reapply it and he gave the truck ledge a quick polish and reinstalled it, no problems after.

This is what I experienced, not what I was told. People giving info based on hearsay and not personal experience is also a pet peeve of mine.

Last edited by BSMF87; 10-31-2018 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 07:08 PM   #9
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSMF87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post

I had my car wrapped with 3M and coated with Cquartz pro, the installer forgot to wrap the truck ledge so he put it on after the car was coated. A month later it came off with a pressure washer. I took it back to my installer to reapply it and he gave the truck ledge a quick polish and reinstalled it, no problems after.

This is what I experienced, not what I was told.
Okay, absolutely. I am glad you got your PPF sorted out!
However, I would rather take the word of the XPel representative, who has empirical rather than anecdotal evidence, in controlled test situations, and whose job it is to know the properties of his product sufficiently to make recommendations to the consumer. I'm sure your installer is excellent, but it makes me wonder? I use pressure washers on our cars all the time, and have never had a problem for just over a decade?

Last edited by TTBear; 10-31-2018 at 10:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #10
Spartan King
MOLON LABE
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

I use P&S Bead Maker on my ceramic coated Xpel Ultimate PPF. First application takes almost a bottle worth, but then maintenance washes I use it as a drying aid in a lighter application. Slickness is second to none and the shine after it sits on the surface for a few hours is amazing.

https://www.autogeek.net/renny-doyle...SABEgIrfvD_BwE
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      11-24-2018, 08:17 PM   #11
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan King View Post
I use P&S Bead Maker on my ceramic coated Xpel Ultimate PPF. First application takes almost a bottle worth, but then maintenance washes I use it as a drying aid in a lighter application. Slickness is second to none and the shine after it sits on the surface for a few hours is amazing.

https://www.autogeek.net/renny-doyle...SABEgIrfvD_BwE
I'm glad someone had good feedback on bead maker. I just bought a gallon based off of the words of Matt fro Obsessed Garage and Pan The Organizer. Excited to use it!
Appreciate 0