BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > *Master Thread* M2 Competition Reviews

08-01-2018, 02:34 AM   #155
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post

OMG, I watched using Youtube's subtitles and auto-translate, which probably got about 25% of the translation right. But, I can't remember that last time I've laughed this hard at a Youtube video. This guy is AWESOME. This is the guy I want to go out and get hammered with in Dusseldorf!
He was definitely having a good time.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 03:00 AM   #156
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Motoring.com.au video review.
https://www.motoring.com.au/bmw-m2-c...review-113883/

Covers sound, weight and more. Good short review.
He said the engine is powerful...especially the low end torque...those manly noise happens at low down rather than up top...definitely need a sports exhaust I guess
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 03:58 AM   #157
Twinsturbo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton AW MT

Think it'll be very nice with a slipon!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 04:00 AM   #158
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
He said the engine is powerful...especially the low end torque...those manly noise happens at low down rather than up top...definitely need a sports exhaust I guess
Either that or make your own manly noise.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 04:37 AM   #159
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Either that or make your own manly noise.
I ain’t into cruising in a Tesla yet
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 09:56 AM   #160
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornercase View Post
“The 3.0 liter six-cylinder has a lot more pull at low revs compared to the [previous] N55, but less aggressiveness when flooring the pedal, … Some would prefer the more docile approach of [this] S55, while others would crave that more aggressive start of the [previous] N55.

“About engine noise in the M2 Competition compared to the N55 engine. And there is no way to sugarcoat this, nor I would like to do that – simply put, I prefer the [previous] N55 engine over the S55, a raspier sound worthy of a sportscar. The M2 Competition is certainly quieter”

“while the design of the new wheels is quite attractive, its weight is not. The [new] wheels are now slightly over 10 percent heavier , on average. For comparison sakes, the [previous] 788M weighs 11.2 kg (24.7 lbs) and 11.9 kg (26.24 lbs) front and rear, respectively.”

Long live the original N55 M2 Classic. Save the cosmetic changes (mirrors and less comfortable seats), I’m pleased that I jumped into the 2018 LCI at ED sticker with PCD.

Good luck to everyone purchasing the new M2C.
Couldn't agree more. I'm happy for the folk excited to be getting into their new M2C's. They'll get a super quick car, which is evident from how these things were flying around the track. Credit to MR for calling out the flaws knowing he has one coming into the garage.

But I have no doubt whatsoever which car I'd rather be in... To me, the S55 M2C doesn't look, sound or feel like a 'real M2' to me judging from these reviews.

It seems like a departure from what made the car great (incredible value, great sound/looks and a good amount of poke in stock form) and now comes across as a smaller M3/M4 that basically requires mods from the outset (muffler delete and exhaust being the main ones). It's a different proposition now and certainly not nearly as attractive to me as the LCI I bought was.

It's now heavier, sounds worse, looks worse (subjective but that's my opinion), more expensive, and power delivery isn't as fun (apparently). Are all those negatives worth a 'real M' engine that can be tuned for super high HP, some sports seats and M mirrors? Not in my opinion... But each to their own!
Completely agree. Not remotely interested in an M2C but I'm glad it pushes our beloved segment forward. I'll be jumping on the S58 iteration.

I am really hoping they reverse the trend of tacky aero and a mustache kidney grille. Not sure those design elements are working for BMW. The front end is just so busy now.
      08-01-2018, 10:43 AM   #161
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsturbo View Post
It probably won't ever sound "good". I think anyone who thinks an exhaust is going to magically make the S55 sound good is setting themselves up for disappointment. The bad tone is just something you have to live with if you have this engine. I have tried I think 5 different aftermarket exhaust combos on an S55. All just different flavors of shit
Appreciate 5
KevM2721.50
Meanie546.50
Poochie9104.50
Win42.00
dcmac439.50
      08-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #162
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Motoring.com.au video review.
https://www.motoring.com.au/bmw-m2-c...review-113883/

Covers sound, weight and more. Good short review.
Quote:
Driving.ca video review.

Another short one. Bonus funny Canadian accent. Jeez this car is getting good reviews. Can’t wait.
Thanks, updated. Still waiting on the big hitters to drop their reviews on youtube.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 11:21 AM   #163
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Updated. I completely forgot about CAR Magazine.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #164
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 06

Next gen M idea:

Rename;
M2 -> M3
M3 -> M5
M4 -> M6
M5 -> M7
M6 -> M8

actually just secretly advance all the series names forward. then the cars still remain true to their former ethos and no one can really complain about size and weight

worth a shot

S58 arrive sooner
Epsom Green P38 Range Rover SE
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 4
KevM2721.50
cptobvious2531.50
seis-speed2430.50
      08-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #165
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornercase View Post
“The 3.0 liter six-cylinder has a lot more pull at low revs compared to the [previous] N55, but less aggressiveness when flooring the pedal, … Some would prefer the more docile approach of [this] S55, while others would crave that more aggressive start of the [previous] N55.

“About engine noise in the M2 Competition compared to the N55 engine. And there is no way to sugarcoat this, nor I would like to do that – simply put, I prefer the [previous] N55 engine over the S55, a raspier sound worthy of a sportscar. The M2 Competition is certainly quieter”

“while the design of the new wheels is quite attractive, its weight is not. The [new] wheels are now slightly over 10 percent heavier , on average. For comparison sakes, the [previous] 788M weighs 11.2 kg (24.7 lbs) and 11.9 kg (26.24 lbs) front and rear, respectively.”

Long live the original N55 M2 Classic. Save the cosmetic changes (mirrors and less comfortable seats), I’m pleased that I jumped into the 2018 LCI at ED sticker with PCD.

Good luck to everyone purchasing the new M2C.
Couldn't agree more. I'm happy for the folk excited to be getting into their new M2C's. They'll get a super quick car, which is evident from how these things were flying around the track. Credit to MR for calling out the flaws knowing he has one coming into the garage.

But I have no doubt whatsoever which car I'd rather be in... To me, the S55 M2C doesn't look, sound or feel like a 'real M2' to me judging from these reviews.

It seems like a departure from what made the car great (incredible value, great sound/looks and a good amount of poke in stock form) and now comes across as a smaller M3/M4 that basically requires mods from the outset (muffler delete and exhaust being the main ones). It's a different proposition now and certainly not nearly as attractive to me as the LCI I bought was.

It's now heavier, sounds worse, looks worse (subjective but that's my opinion), more expensive, and power delivery isn't as fun (apparently). Are all those negatives worth a 'real M' engine that can be tuned for super high HP, some sports seats and M mirrors? Not in my opinion... But each to their own!
I've driven the M3 ZCP back to back to back with the original M2 on a short track as hard as I could drive them. I'm no racer, but have been o n a track several times in various M cars. The M2 engine was the real weak point of the car. It has too much turbo lag and the throttle response felt pretty spungy. Much closer to a 240 than an M. The M3 ZCP engine is a wonderful engine - tons of power/torque, very little lag, and great/very controllable throttle response. I'm on my second M4 and love this engine. My humble opinion is that the engine upgrade is huge, and with all comp packs in the M history, the suspension tweaks will be a noticeable upgrade. The result should be a great car on all front - I just wish it had a touch more room inside and upgraded materials. That said, I'd still like to have one and can't wait to drive one.
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
dcmac439.50
      08-01-2018, 03:12 PM   #166
Lp01
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 MG/DCT (gone!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4life24 View Post
Someone wake me when Chris Harris reviews this baby...
Also waiting for the monkey’s review. Why is he taking so long?

Vacations maybe, because there are no new better cars to write about
Appreciate 1
KevM2721.50
      08-01-2018, 04:06 PM   #167
KayCM2
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp01 View Post

Because he's prob exclusive to Top Gear now and will wait for it to film for the show.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 04:25 PM   #168
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:

Or perhaps trying to get an allocation for one
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      08-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #169
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Quote:
It probably won't ever sound "good". I think anyone who thinks an exhaust is going to magically make the S55 sound good is setting themselves up for disappointment. The bad tone is just something you have to live with if you have this engine. I have tried I think 5 different aftermarket exhaust combos on an S55. All just different flavors of shit
True that; If anything, a performance exhaust just amplifies the cacophony...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #170
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Quote:
True that; If anything, a performance exhaust just amplifies the cacophony...
It boggles my mind that they couldn't engineer the exhaust to improve the sound... is the culprit the fact that the S55 has two down pipes? If so, would it possibly improve if the two joined into one early on going into the midpipe? I just don't believe the exhaust note can't somehow be made into a deeper pitch instead of a high pitch blender sound... the M4 CS sounds so much better but even that, still has a high pitch quality that's not too pleasant
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      08-01-2018, 04:56 PM   #171
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
I've driven the M3 ZCP back to back to back with the original M2 on a short track as hard as I could drive them. I'm no racer, but have been o n a track several times in various M cars. The M2 engine was the real weak point of the car. It has too much turbo lag and the throttle response felt pretty spungy. Much closer to a 240 than an M. The M3 ZCP engine is a wonderful engine - tons of power/torque, very little lag, and great/very controllable throttle response. I'm on my second M4 and love this engine. My humble opinion is that the engine upgrade is huge, and with all comp packs in the M history, the suspension tweaks will be a noticeable upgrade. The result should be a great car on all front - I just wish it had a touch more room inside and upgraded materials. That said, I'd still like to have one and can't wait to drive one.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 04:58 PM   #172
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

He was racing at 24hr Spa last weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCM2 View Post
Because he's prob exclusive to Top Gear now and will wait for it to film for the show.
BBC has his content on lock now.
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4180.00
      08-01-2018, 05:45 PM   #173
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Someone here told me it's because the exhaust in the S55 is split between 3 + 3 cylinders and the combo is difficult to tune a proper sound in unison..

Maybe someone else could chime in with some more in-depth technical details on the S55 raspy exhaust sound..

KevM2
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 08:09 PM   #174
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Someone here told me it's because the exhaust in the S55 is split between 3 + 3 cylinders and the combo is difficult to tune a proper sound in unison..

Maybe someone else could chime in with some more in-depth technical details on the S55 raspy exhaust sound..

KevM2
Its the dual mid section. AA single pipe mid section gives it a much deeper note, synchronizes turbos.

I’ve heard some really good combos with that mid section.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #175
Lp01
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 MG/DCT (gone!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
He was racing at 24hr Spa last weekend.

BBC has his content on lock now.

Dham!! Anyway, he could do the review for the top gear site. I bet it would gather much more views than an unknown stranger doing it... which was what happened....
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 10:22 PM   #176
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Cars Guide (AU)

Jeez a lot of Australians went over for this.
Appreciate 0