BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Just broke my wing mirror glass.

05-31-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
meady100
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Just broke my wing mirror glass.

Whoops. Just tried to pop it off to swap off the cap for a carbon fibre one and it cracked. I didn't even use much force - be very careful guys. Anyway, I'm trying to source a replacement - anyone know of a good place to get one? Obviously it's heated, and I believe it autodims too. I might just be cheap and get a stick on glass item if it doesn't notice too bad. Any thoughts?!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by meady100 View Post
Whoops. Just tried to pop it off to swap off the cap for a carbon fibre one and it cracked. I didn't even use much force - be very careful guys. Anyway, I'm trying to source a replacement - anyone know of a good place to get one? Obviously it's heated, and I believe it autodims too. I might just be cheap and get a stick on glass item if it doesn't notice too bad. Any thoughts?!
I believe iND mentioned that this pair fits on F87 as well.

https://ind-distribution.com/product?sku=51168059566

IND-Distribution
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 09:15 AM   #3
meady100
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
I believe iND mentioned that this pair fits on F87 as well.

https://ind-distribution.com/product?sku=51168059566

IND-Distribution
Thanks!! I'm going to try a stick on first, and if after a week or two I'm missing that OEM feel good factor, I will try these :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
I didn't have any problem on my E36M3 and planning to replace the caps on the M2 but have worried about this exact scenario.

How did you attempt to pry off the mirror, so I don't repeat your mistake ? Last time I did this, I used a wooden paint stir stick place at the bottom middle of the mirror and push down against the housing.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2018, 12:26 PM   #5
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Which side did you break?

When replacing my passenger-side mirror cap I broke my mirror, it looks like there is a "groove" in the back of that mirror where the material is thinner, thus letting it bend easier and shattering the glass.

I posted in this thread: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1475656 stating I found a replacement glass for the passenger-side for ~$100 (I forgot where, but I can try to find it if you're interested). The M2 mirrors are the exact same parts as many other F-series. The next post after me said they found one for ~$15, so you can definitely find them for cheap!

EDIT:

Also note the the passenger side is not auto-dim (only heated), which makes it a bit cheaper than the driver side mirror.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 06:49 PM   #6
meady100
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'd be surprised (but happy as thats what broke) if the passenger side didnt auto dim as it has all sorts of demarcations and tints around its perimeter. I used a blunt stiff knife, but I'm pretty sure I cracked it by trying to prise it out lengthwise - i was levering out the furthermost edge from the car as I had seen on Youtube. On the drivers side, I worked it out from the bottom, so less bend and no problem.

EDIT: Thanks for the tip Eeeyang. The product pic looks very different to mine though, my mirror back has lots more wiring and sensors attached. Thinking maybe UK spec auto dims both sides >.> Also, why are some mirror replacements not suitable for autotip?!

Last edited by meady100; 05-31-2018 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 09:10 PM   #7
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I bought the aspherical mirrors from IND and still have the stock ones, if anyone wants to buy them.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 12:00 AM   #8
BSMF87
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD

I broke mine too, passenger side. I got a replacement from the dealer about $100.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 01:57 AM   #9
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'd be surprised (but happy as thats what broke) if the passenger side didnt auto dim as it has all sorts of demarcations and tints around its perimeter. I used a blunt stiff knife, but I'm pretty sure I cracked it by trying to prise it out lengthwise - i was levering out the furthermost edge from the car as I had seen on Youtube. On the drivers side, I worked it out from the bottom, so less bend and no problem.

EDIT: Thanks for the tip Eeeyang. The product pic looks very different to mine though, my mirror back has lots more wiring and sensors attached. Thinking maybe UK spec auto dims both sides >.> Also, why are some mirror replacements not suitable for autotip?!
For the wiring, you can pull those off and then attach them to the new mirror (I recommend you tape and label the wires so you don't get mixed up which goes where... although I don't think it actually matters. Better to be safe than sorry though!)

I cannot confirm if US and UK have different mirrors, sorry.

This is the exact part I fitted to my M2:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ht-51167285004

Fitment is correct and I've had no issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 11:17 AM   #10
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Is there an area of the mirror where you can safely pry without breaking the mirror? I've seen youtube videos and the guys pry from the edge and you can see a lot of flex. Seems like a roll of the dice to remove these.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #11
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Is there an area of the mirror where you can safely pry without breaking the mirror? I've seen youtube videos and the guys pry from the edge and you can see a lot of flex. Seems like a roll of the dice to remove these.
The driver's side doesn't have the groove in the back so I don't think you'll have trouble there (in fact, most of these broken mirror posts are all passenger side!). My troubles came from the fact I removed the driver side mirror quite easily, and with my confidence I attempted to remove the passenger side mirror the same way.

You want to avoid putting a a large amount pressure to the right of the groove for the passenger-side mirror. So that would suggest you need to wedge your tool more towards the center, either top or bottom (or even the inside edge).

IF you do wedge from the right side, make sure the point of contact on the mirror is left of the groove (if that makes sense - you'll need a curved tool). In general the closer to the center your tool's contact point on the mirror, the less flex there will be on the glass and more force directly pulling the tabs out, which is definitely a good thing.
Appreciate 1
heavyD^23684.00
      06-01-2018, 05:02 PM   #12
meady100
Enlisted Member
Rep

Today my stick on £9.99 mirror arrived. Went right over the top of the broken one with 98% fitting accuracy. I absolutely guarantee no-one will ever notice if you do this. It's not heated but I don't care. I assume a certain amount of heat will filter through from the original anyway. Feeling quite a bit better about his little accident now ^^
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 05:07 AM   #13
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

So the glass is breaking when your replacing the mirror caps? Is this part of the install process...working from the glass side? I have been thinking about switching them but have not looked at the install yet
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 08:24 AM   #14
meady100
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
So the glass is breaking when your replacing the mirror caps? Is this part of the install process...working from the glass side? I have been thinking about switching them but have not looked at the install yet
Correct - pop off mirror, release three clips inside wing mirror shell. There are a couple of youtube vids illustrating the process.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 09:13 AM   #15
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
Correct - pop off mirror, release three clips inside wing mirror shell. There are a couple of youtube vids illustrating the process.
All the youtube videos I've seen show them just yanking the mirror cap off by pulling up and out from the side closest to the car. Seems brutal but maybe "safer" than breaking your mirror glass?

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #16
meady100
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
All the youtube videos I've seen show them just yanking the mirror cap off by pulling up and out from the side closest to the car. Seems brutal but maybe "safer" than breaking your mirror glass?
In retrospect I'd certainly be inclined to give it a go myself. There seems less to lose. I'm still quite surprised it works, though - there are three quite robust clips.

Here's the original method that I followed that broke my mirror lol. Do NOT pull from the far edge, prise from the bottom.

Last edited by meady100; 06-04-2018 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 07:02 PM   #17
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
In retrospect I'd certainly be inclined to give it a go myself. There seems less to lose. I'm still quite surprised it works, though - there are three quite robust clips.

Here's the original method that I followed that broke my mirror lol. Do NOT pull from the far edge, prise from the bottom.

When my mirrors arrive next week I'll give it a try. Knowing my luck, I'll end up ripping the entire mirror assembly off the door.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 07:46 PM   #18
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

They always make it look simple......
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 05:54 PM   #19
farcus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 AW DCT

damn i wish i read this thread before I attempted to get my cover on. I also broke my passenger side mirror trying to replace the mirror cover... Anyone have a link for me to get OEM heated ones? I'd imagine dealer would rape me if I went with them.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 06:01 PM   #20
M2driverWV
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by farcus View Post
damn i wish i read this thread before I attempted to get my cover on. I also broke my passenger side mirror trying to replace the mirror cover... Anyone have a link for me to get OEM heated ones? I'd imagine dealer would rape me if I went with them.
This one fits perfectly it's wide angle though if that matters to Ricoy White tinted Rearview... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G833YHM...p_mob_ap_share

Here it is on my car
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
farcus23.50
      04-29-2019, 06:03 PM   #21
farcus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 AW DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2driverWV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcus View Post
This one fits perfectly it's wide angle though if that matters to Ricoy White tinted Rearview... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G833YHM...p_mob_ap_share

Here it is on my car
But what's the oem tho? I'd prefer oem but man that price is killer
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 07:00 PM   #22
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

I got an used OEM in pristine shape from e-bay for about $100 (wide angle drive side so it had auto-dim)
Part number for driver side - 51167285005
Appreciate 1
farcus23.50